Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,990 members, 7,814,379 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:58 AM

Breastfeeding- A Matter Of Life And Death—THE HEALTHY MAIL - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Breastfeeding- A Matter Of Life And Death—THE HEALTHY MAIL (462 Views)

I Saved An Accident Victim's Life And I'm Proud Of It / Please Am At A Dead End It's A Matter Of Life And Death / Woman Injured In Taraba Explosion Breastfeeding Her Baby (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Breastfeeding- A Matter Of Life And Death—THE HEALTHY MAIL by veekthoor(m): 5:34am On Aug 03, 2018

Did you know ?
  that breastfeeding you new baby within the first hours of life can greatly improve your child's chance of being a healthy human being( now you know)

According to the UN ,an estimated 78 million newborns have a higher risk of death each year from not drinking their mother's milk within the first hours of being born, .

The World Health Organization (WHO) and UNICEF, the UN children's agency, have published a convincing report after observing mothers in about 76 developing -type countries.

The report shows statistics that two out of five babies are breastfed immediately after being born with East and Southern Africa women having the majority , East Asia and the Pacific women have the minority in this case.
"Each year, millions of newborns miss out on the benefits of early breastfeeding and we are to blame for this," said Henrietta Fore ,executive director of UNICEF .

Reasons for the Low  First Hour Breastfeed Rate

1.Lack of support from the medical personnel at the health facilities.

2.Practices like -- throwing  away the mother's first milk and feeding the infant with formula.

3.Increase in the amount of caesarean births.

4.In Africa,traditional beliefs and illiteracy are a major issue.

Earlier studies show how delaying breastfeeding between two and 23 hours increases an infant's risk of dying by 33 percent. Among newborns who started breastfeeding a day or more after birth, the risk was more than twice as high.

Colostrum, the first milk produced by mothers,  is very nutritious and helps prepare the baby's digestive tract  for  breast-milk digestion.

Benefits of breastfeeding

1.Breast-milk is the perfect infant formula for your baby-it contains vitamins, protein, fat and everything nice.

2. Strengthens the baby's immune system as breast milk contains antibodies  that helps in fighting diseases

3.Faster weight loss  after pregnancy(breast-milk contains about  20 calories per ounce, so do the math)

4.Reduces risk of breast cancer, so the longer  you breast feed your infant  the  better for you.

5.Research shows that breastfed babies  become smarter children.

6.Breast feeding  improves  the bond between a mother and  baby.

7.Lowers the baby's risk of having asthma or allergies.

8.It can also help mothers relax.

9.Its really cheaper  to breastfeed .

In the report, UNICEF and WHO urge governments to adopt strong legal measures to restrict the marketing of infant formula and other breast-milk substitutes.

Call to Action
!:  Let's  actively support our loved ones (sisters,mothers,wives ,colleagues)  to breast feed  both at home and public places.

UNICEF recommend that babies should be exclusively breastfed up to an age of six months, after which they can begin incorporating some food and other liquid into their diet alongside breastfeeding.

Did you know that germs are important to your body
read and know how @
http://thehealthymail.co.uk/prevention-of-leukemia/

Follow us on facebook to get more health info
facebook.com/thehealthymail
Re: Breastfeeding- A Matter Of Life And Death—THE HEALTHY MAIL by veekthoor(m): 4:15pm On Aug 03, 2018
Please feel free to drop any questions here or
privately send us mail @

thehealthymail365@gmail.com
Re: Breastfeeding- A Matter Of Life And Death—THE HEALTHY MAIL by veekthoor(m): 3:09pm On Aug 04, 2018
Here is a mail we from Nenye (not her real name)

Hi @healthymail,
I read your your recent post about breastfeeding and the various benefits for both child and the nursing mum. But for me the case has been different for the past few days and breastfeeding is not as easy as you make it.

The past 3 days has been really painful for me,i noticed a red area on not one but both of my breasts. It hurts even when I am not breastfeeding my baby.

Hello Nenye,
Thank you for your feedback, It means a great deal to us. Now the problem you are facing maybe due to

1. A plugged duct
2.breast infection
3.cracked nipples

The plugged duct may be due to the enlargement of the breast suggesting that your baby is not sucking much milk, causing an accumulation in the ducts

The cracked nipples -- when your baby is not suckling properly or due to the way the mouth is structured

Breast infection(mastitis) -- this may be caused by any of the above two problems when left untreated

SOLUTION

1 .Change your bra -- go for nursing bras if you are not using one

2.Gently massage the area where you noticed the inflammation (reddish spot)

3.Try bathing with hot water(not the type for making eba)..it should help soften the area

4. Also in case it's an infection.. Try to bump up your intake of vitamin C. ( oranges are a good source) to boost your immunity against the infection.

5. Lastly a home remedyfor the inflammation - try placing cabbage over the area(my grandma said it worked for her).

If you try any of these for three days and still no relieve please I beg you, go visit your doctor

(1) (Reply)

Five Health Benefits Of The African Pear (ube) / Kegels The Natural Cure For Premature Ejaculation / FUNAAB Student Hospitalized After N5k Bet To Drink Bottle Of Gin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.