Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,223 members, 7,818,764 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:08 AM

The Rise And Fall Of Some Of The Biggest Smartphone Giants In The World (PHOTOS) - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Rise And Fall Of Some Of The Biggest Smartphone Giants In The World (PHOTOS) (32628 Views)

Mediatek Dethrones Qualcomm To Become World’s Biggest Smartphone Chipset Vendor / Xiaomi Surpasses Apple To Become The World’s Third Biggest Smartphone Brand / Infinix Note 7 Unboxing And Review - The Biggest Smartphone Screen In 2020 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Rise And Fall Of Some Of The Biggest Smartphone Giants In The World (PHOTOS) by Nancypunni: 10:07am On Aug 03, 2018
HajimeSaito:

Members of the Buhari Media Centre (B.M.C) are paid a monthly stipend of N 30,000 to post positive comments about the Buhari Administration on social media sites. This guy is one of them.

Are you kidding me
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Some Of The Biggest Smartphone Giants In The World (PHOTOS) by HajimeSaito(m): 10:09am On Aug 03, 2018
Nancypunni:

Are you kidding me

They were exposed by an investigative journalist called Farooq Kperogi...
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Some Of The Biggest Smartphone Giants In The World (PHOTOS) by Nancypunni: 10:10am On Aug 03, 2018
asha80:
if they did that I am sure they would have been amongst top 3 by now

Android is owned by google...nw between Android and nokia who can buy each other...nokia cant even think of it
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Some Of The Biggest Smartphone Giants In The World (PHOTOS) by Nancypunni: 10:11am On Aug 03, 2018
HajimeSaito:

They were exposed by an investigative journalist called Farooq Kperogi...

Lol...its okay its okay...i know you like play
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Some Of The Biggest Smartphone Giants In The World (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 10:18am On Aug 03, 2018
JamaicanLove:
Thuraya nko cool
Have you found solution to your sleep apenia?
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Some Of The Biggest Smartphone Giants In The World (PHOTOS) by godquality: 10:24am On Aug 03, 2018
coolcharm:
There are times, and there are seasons.

Below is a classic example. (Even though they are picking up once more)
Well the phones you see today are actually not Nokias but an Asian company that licensed the brand name. The real Nokia left the phone market long time ago.
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Some Of The Biggest Smartphone Giants In The World (PHOTOS) by engrsyer(m): 10:49am On Aug 03, 2018
Tunagee:

U are right, but when it comes to hardware strengths, durability, u can't beat all these big brands u mentioned. For instance, I lost full confidence in infinix phones as a result of battery problem I encountered from week i purchase infinix note 3 pro whereby my battery begins to countdown once it gets to 10percent. The battery got swollen in less than a year. Today, I use lenovo since Jan this year,everything has been excellent.
yes talking of hardware strength and durability they are great and that's one major thing that made them unique but who cares of durability if both chinko and original phones falls into water or on the ground they will all destroy. So for now I prefer those chinko phones or with a powerful battery life that will last me for at least a day with hard usage of internet.

1 Like

Re: The Rise And Fall Of Some Of The Biggest Smartphone Giants In The World (PHOTOS) by steve6: 11:17am On Aug 03, 2018
coolcharm:
There are times, and there are seasons.

Below is a classic example. (Even though they are picking up once more)

....time and chance !
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Some Of The Biggest Smartphone Giants In The World (PHOTOS) by MVLOX(m): 11:22am On Aug 03, 2018
TechCapon:
TechCapon

These brands were once the king of the smartphone/ electronics industry and were once best sellers. They commanded high market share at one time or the other long before Samsung and Apple took over the baton. Unlike the automobile industry, the same old players dominating the scene in the 80s and 90s are the ones dominating the market till today and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. I mean take a look at the likes of Mercedes Benz, Volkswagen, Audi, BMW, Chevrolet, Ford Toyota, Honda etc are still the king of the industry and I don’t see new companies like Tesla, Tango, BYD etc taking over from them. So the big question is why is it so different in the smartphone world ? New phone companies like Xiaomi is already threatening to displace Apple and Samsung, even Oppo of yesterday now has one of the largest smartphone market, funny. I don’t understand how innovative brands that once rake in profit in billions of dollars now record losses in billions of dollars and they can’t seem to make a comeback to profitability. Anyways we’ll be looking at some brands that used to be household names in the past and what happened to them.

1. BlackBerry (adapt or die)

Who on this planet would have believed for one second that the “ALMIGHTY BLACKBERRY” would just fizzle out into oblivion ? What went wrong with Blackberry ? Why did it collapse ? Why……? The questions on the minds of many are endless and confusing. BlackBerry is not just struggling, the company is on the brink of extinction ! That’s how bad it is. The problem with BlackBerry was that the company was too rigid and slow to adapt to the rapid changes in the smartphone industry. They locked down their OS and made it impossible for users to use popular apps like Whatsapp rather forcing BBM down their throats. It made one last attempt for survival when it dumped the BlackBerry OS and launched it’s first Android smartphone which came as a surprise but it was too late and the price was so high, it was a turn off for loyal fans who would have loved to buy it. The lesson you should learn from BB is simple. ADAPT OR DIE

2. HTC

HTC is the ancestor of all smartphones in the world, you can call it the great grandfather of all Android devices. First maker of Android phone in the world ((HTC dream in 2008), first company to launch a dual camera smartphone, first to launch a Windows smartphone, first to launch a full metal body smartphone, first to do this or that. The list is endless, the fact remains that most of the major innovations in the smartphone industry started with HTC so what happened to this company with a long lists of records and innovations. The answer is sweet and simple, COMPETITION. Instaed of HTC to focus on the midrange market, it chose to battle with Samsung and Apple for a slice of the pie in the high-end division and this brought their downfall. Anyway we hear that HTC is cooking a new surprise for it’s fans, I seriously hope this surprise will be a turning point for the company because they need it so badly.

love htc phone cha... I used my htc amaze for 5 years b4 I retired it
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Some Of The Biggest Smartphone Giants In The World (PHOTOS) by naturefellow(m): 11:36am On Aug 03, 2018
Interesting post!
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Some Of The Biggest Smartphone Giants In The World (PHOTOS) by TonySpike: 12:10pm On Aug 03, 2018
I think Sony lost its edge in the mobile market when they separated from their merger with Ericsson.
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Some Of The Biggest Smartphone Giants In The World (PHOTOS) by ShenTeh(m): 12:12pm On Aug 03, 2018
Larryslim:
What of LG?? Been a while I saw someone using any LG Phone..
Well, I use one.
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Some Of The Biggest Smartphone Giants In The World (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 1:50pm On Aug 03, 2018
Imagine how u wrote Sony instead of Sony mobile.... correct your writeup!!
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Some Of The Biggest Smartphone Giants In The World (PHOTOS) by kvegas(m): 3:48pm On Aug 03, 2018
HajimeSaito:

By the look of things, it seems that HTC dug its own grave. But they are not the ancestor of ALL smartphones. Their ancestry is limited to just Android devices. Even at that the first ever android device (Android 1.0) was the T-Mobile G1 which appeared some months before the HTC dream in 2008.

T-mobile isn't a Smart phone manufacturer but only a network carrier like Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, Vodaphone etc. So, HTC remain the first Android phone manufacturer.
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Some Of The Biggest Smartphone Giants In The World (PHOTOS) by TechCapon(m): 4:08pm On Aug 03, 2018
HajimeSaito:

Nope. T-Mobile is a German company, HTC is from China.
HTC is from Taiwan
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Some Of The Biggest Smartphone Giants In The World (PHOTOS) by HajimeSaito(m): 4:13pm On Aug 03, 2018
TechCapon:
HTC is from Taiwan

Noted. Although the Chinese still consider Taiwan to be a part of China.
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Some Of The Biggest Smartphone Giants In The World (PHOTOS) by AceDomino(m): 4:19pm On Aug 03, 2018
I'm finding Find X all the way.

Re: The Rise And Fall Of Some Of The Biggest Smartphone Giants In The World (PHOTOS) by OHIsIManuEL(m): 5:29pm On Aug 03, 2018
godquality:
Well the phones you see today are actually not Nokias but an Asian company that licensed the brand name. The real Nokia left the phone market long time ago.
HMD is from finland not asia.
The start up bosses are former nokia executives!
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Some Of The Biggest Smartphone Giants In The World (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 5:25pm On Aug 04, 2018
Dudeweedlmao:
Have you found solution to your sleep apenia?

Not really?, but thanks for your concern
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Some Of The Biggest Smartphone Giants In The World (PHOTOS) by blingxx(m): 8:30pm On Aug 04, 2018
motorola still exist? grin
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Some Of The Biggest Smartphone Giants In The World (PHOTOS) by Palmerbarry: 9:01pm On Aug 04, 2018
litetias:

Techno is not among the top 10 either
Tecno has joined the top 10 most shipped phone brands smiley funny ryt? Its maintain number 9 position.

HTC is dead already!
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Some Of The Biggest Smartphone Giants In The World (PHOTOS) by dsnet: 12:47am On Aug 05, 2018
TechCapon:
Nokia shot itself on the foot by using Windows when others are going Android. Right now Nokia is not even among the top 10 smartphone makers, Tecno has joined the league.
Nokia are doing quite well now and are currently in 9th place. TECNO in 10th. See this article: https://mobilityarena.com/top-10-smartphone-brands-q2-2018/
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Some Of The Biggest Smartphone Giants In The World (PHOTOS) by kahel(m): 10:45pm On Sep 05, 2018
4601CE:
That’s not gonna happen. Lol
As long as the iOS is strictly for iPhones .
You have no ide how much power Apple has .
Apple will never phase out in America because it is American made and they will support their own no matter how expensive it cost, you won't see Infinix or gionee in America. They regard them as inferior products , Only Samsung is the most acceptable foreign product in America Mobile phone market.
Re: The Rise And Fall Of Some Of The Biggest Smartphone Giants In The World (PHOTOS) by tck2000(m): 1:03pm On Jan 06, 2020
HajimeSaito:

You support the dull-ard just because of a lousy 30k paycheque? Even more annoying!
lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerians Bad Mouth Injoo Phones On Their Facebook Page ( Pictures) / Introducing The New HTC 10: Beautiful Smartphone With World-class Camera / Unboxing The Gionee M6… What A Powerful Piece Of Magic!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.