Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,624 members, 7,823,747 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:24 PM

How Can I Start A Career In Academics? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Can I Start A Career In Academics? (7968 Views)

Start A Career In Public Speaking / How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria / How To Start A Career In Public Speaking In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can I Start A Career In Academics? by Bulletproof: 7:51am On Aug 07, 2018
ijoba22:
hey you don't have generals thing here OK, and beside [/b]Abu Zaria is far better than unilorin[b]

Isn't that what he meant?
Re: How Can I Start A Career In Academics? by Ugosample(m): 6:04pm On Aug 08, 2018
To be an academic, you have to be real passionate about research, as well as teaching

If you are not, then academics is not for you
Re: How Can I Start A Career In Academics? by DrTims(m): 12:15pm On Sep 11, 2018
Thanks for the contributions. I didn't even know the post made front page undecided

1 Like

Re: How Can I Start A Career In Academics? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Apr 30, 2023
DrTims:
I would like to be a Lecturer at any higher institution (college of education, polytechnic or university either public or private) How do I go about it and is there any private university recruiting. Please help a Nairalander sad

Government universities hire based on who they know. And this is more pronounced in state universities. So your best bet is to know a senior staff in the university who will "help" you get in.

Since you're already running a PHD, get closer to your lecturers and help them with things like teaching students (if they'll allow) and supervising student's projects. Many unis hire lecturer assistants or something like that, who are basically Masters students that help lecturers and the school faculty with a few tasks here and there.

Check if your school has that program. Also speak to your lecturers and let them know you're seeking a job in academics. If they don't "help" you into the school, they could help you into another one.
Re: How Can I Start A Career In Academics? by DrTims(m): 1:13pm On May 01, 2023
Okay I will do that. Thank you
Shoodboi:

Government universities hire based on who they know. And this is more pronounced in state universities. So your best bet is to know a senior staff in the university who will "help" you get in.

Since you're already running a PHD, get closer to your lecturers and help them with things like teaching students (if they'll allow) and supervising student's projects. Many unis hire lecturer assistants or something like that, who are basically Masters students that help lecturers and the school faculty with a few tasks here and there.

Check if your school has that program. Also speak to your lecturers and let them know you're seeking a job in academics. If they don't "help" you into the school, they could help you into another one.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Start A Career In Academics? by ChybuzzDD(m): 1:27pm On May 01, 2023
DrTims:
Okay I will do that. Thank you

You still hasn't got one till now?
Re: How Can I Start A Career In Academics? by Generalwoodz(m): 3:51pm On May 01, 2023
DrTims pray tell are you still looking ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Career's Success:- Father's Disciplinary Love Versus Mother's Caring Love / Top 10 Professional Life Hacks For Workplace Productivity / Nigerian Lng Is Recruiting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.