Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,879 members, 7,821,069 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:48 AM

Igbo Women And Social Status - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Women And Social Status (28572 Views)

When Would Yoruba Men Start Marrying Igbo Women? / Beauty Of Igbo Women / Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by rubi(f): 3:30pm On Oct 28, 2010
@Poster not only in Igboland but also in Nigeria and AFrica as a whole blame it on culture
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by AndreUweh(m): 4:44pm On Oct 28, 2010
rubi:

@Poster not only in Igboland but also in Nigeria and AFrica as a whole blame it on culture
You are right. But this thread centres on Igbo culture.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by ChinenyeN(m): 4:29am On Oct 29, 2010
oludashmi:

@ChineyeN
You dont know how much I like your views and posts on NL smiley
Thanks, I guess. Although, I am curious as to why.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by oludashmi(f): 1:29pm On Oct 29, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Thanks, I guess. Although, I am curious as to why.

You dont struggle with others on the culture section
You dont insult. . unlike Andre somebody
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by ChinenyeN(m): 2:15pm On Oct 29, 2010
Oh ok. Makes sense. I wouldn't necessarily say that I don't insult though. Rather, I try not to. Either way, I get what you're saying, so thank you.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by AndreUweh(m): 2:07am On Oct 31, 2010
Igbo women at their best. Long live Igbo women.
[flash=445,345]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22dIE35xNeI&feature=related[/flash]
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by ifyalways(f): 9:40am On Nov 01, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Igbo women at their best. Long live Igbo women.
[flash=445,345]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22dIE35xNeI&feature=related[/flash]
Egwu nke a togbugom
Ama m Obi dim too. cool
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by AndreUweh(m): 8:38pm On Aug 16, 2011
The status of Igbo women has changed from precolonial, colonial to post civil war years.

1 Share

Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by AndreUweh(m): 8:39pm On Aug 16, 2011
Igbo women of today.

Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by AndreUweh(m): 8:41pm On Aug 16, 2011
Still on modern Igbo women.

Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by armyofone(m): 8:47pm On Aug 16, 2011
i love the jorge, akwette/hollandis wrapper in those pix (missing Nne kai).
nwayi oma video no show again? odikwa risky and serious o
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by AndreUweh(m): 7:51pm On Aug 17, 2011
The changing faces of Igbo women.

Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by AndreUweh(m): 8:00pm On Aug 17, 2011
Changing faces of Igbo women.

Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by queenesthr(f): 1:28pm On Aug 18, 2011
@poster, please read Things Fall Apart again. Okonkwo beat his wife for cutting leaves on a young plantain tree, not for coming home late to cook his meal.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by tpia5: 3:17pm On Aug 18, 2011
The women in wrapper only, are yoruba.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by AndreUweh(m): 8:23pm On Aug 18, 2011
tpia@:

The women in wrapper only, are yoruba.

The Yoruba tire their wrappers differently from the way the Igbo do. That of the Igbo is always x2. The site I got the picture suggest they are Igbo.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by AndreUweh(m): 8:27pm On Aug 18, 2011
Igbo women then and now.

Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by tpia5: 10:34pm On Aug 18, 2011
Andre Uweh:

The Yoruba tire their wrappers differently from the way the Igbo do. That of the Igbo is always x2. The site I got the picture suggest they are Igbo.

the women are yoruba.

that's yoruba cultural attire.

i dont know of anywhere in igboland which ties that kind or style of wrapper.

the oloris of yoruba kings are the ones who tie it most nowadays but its also a traditional yoruba thing.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by ifyalways(f): 11:45am On Aug 19, 2011
^Its possible Yoruba's use double wrappers also but the traditional and real Igbo way of using wrappers is 2 at a time,the topmost one is always shorter.However,single girls are exempted and not permitted to use 2 wrappers,its a sort of privileged to be enjoyed only by the married ladies.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by tpia5: 2:12pm On Aug 19, 2011
^Do the igbo women use ofi as wrapper, and combine it with the irukere (horsetail)?

I've never seen igbo women dress like that.

At a stretch i guess the photo might be edoid (bini), but that kind of dressing, combined with irukere and the pattern on the wrappers, indicate yoruba.

I stand corrected if wrong however.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by aljharem3: 2:20pm On Aug 19, 2011
tpia and ifyalways

that attire is not igbo women dressing. although i learnt women have 2 wraps but the all set is not igbo women dressing

1. were did they get the horse tail from ?

horse are only in plain savanna and could have gotten to igboland thus those are not igbo women
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by odumchi: 3:21pm On Aug 19, 2011
^^^
Those pictures are of Igbo women. Igbo women wear double wrappers after marriage and single prior to marriage but after the coming of age. Horsetail has always been a part of Igbo culture even prior to the colonial era. Traditional rulers, women and etc use it. However it isn't made with horses in Igboland. It was made with other materials such as animal hide not necessarily horses. My own relatives who were born anytime from the late the late 1800s to early 1900s have photographs of themselves in similar dressing with the prop.

So far I've not seen anything Yoruba or non-Igbo on this thread so let's keep the focus on inyom ndiIgbo.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by aljharem3: 3:26pm On Aug 19, 2011
odumchi:

^^^
Those pictures are of Igbo women. Igbo women wear double wrappers after marriage and single prior to marriage but after the coming of age. Horsetail has always been a part of Igbo culture even prior to the colonial era. Traditional rulers, women and etc use it. However it isn't made with horses in Igboland. It was made with other materials such as animal hide not necessarily horses.

So far I've not seen anything Yoruba or non-Igbo on this thread so let's keep the focus on inyom ndiIgbo.

please show me any link , picture or history book both now and past history that igbo culture has horses not to talk of horsetail

i would be waiting
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by odumchi: 3:28pm On Aug 19, 2011
I just told you in Igboland it is made with animal hide not horses.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by aljharem3: 3:37pm On Aug 19, 2011
odumchi:

I just told you in Igboland it is made with animal hide not horses.

ok thank for the clarification. Now please would you mind sharing with us what type of animals are those with large amount of hair on there tails as shown in the picture below

www.nairaland.com/attachments/504752_igbo_woman_representing_igbo_attire_jpg533ca18968a85bb6c8c884288cee705d
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by odumchi: 3:46pm On Aug 19, 2011
They can be made out of dogs, porcupines, hedgehogs, etc. Besides that woman in the photo is Igbo. Yoruba women do not wear such wrappers.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by aljharem3: 3:50pm On Aug 19, 2011
odumchi:

They can be made out of dogs, porcupines, hedgehogs, etc.

is it ? that is shocking because dogs and hedgehogs don't have this much hair at least of this length

porcupines are spines and don't have hairs of this length, more over am yet to see any of this animals with white long hairs unless u want to talk of the European breed dogs which started occuring about 25-30 years ago
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by odumchi: 4:04pm On Aug 19, 2011
You don't have to agree of you don't like. Ignorance is bliss. I'm an Igbo telling you facts from the inside and you still won't believe. Take it from me that such items were present in Precolonial Igboland. I don't want to derail so let's get back to the topic.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by aljharem3: 4:18pm On Aug 19, 2011
odumchi:

You don't have to agree of you don't like. Ignorance is bliss. I'm an Igbo telling you facts from the inside and you still won't believe. Take it from me that such items were present in Precolonial Igboland. I don't want to derail so let's get back to the topic.

Agree! what you are saying does not make sense at all. All i am asking is how did it get to igboland unless it was imported from the bini people who either got it from the igala, nupe or yoruba people. there is no way it would have been present in "Precolonial Igboland" . I mean does it make sense to you?

not to derail the thread i would leave it here
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by tpia5: 4:46pm On Aug 19, 2011
Odumchi you are quite wrong here.

Those wrappers are typically associated with yoruba because its part and parcel of yoruba culture.

The dressing is usually worn by oba's wives and in olden times they werent allowed to wear anything else.

I've seen a photo of my grandma(yoruba) when she was young-maybe in her twenties or so- and that was the kind of wrapper she tied.

Yoruba cultural dances also feature that exact dressing combined with horsetail. Horsetails are very prominent in the traditional culture.

I really dont know what you're trying to accomplish with these lies of yours. Its getting too much.
I could assume an edoid link for the photo because of the hair beads, but some yorubas also use those and the horsetails are more conclusive.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by aljharem3: 5:15pm On Aug 19, 2011
tpia@:

Odumchi you are quite wrong here.

Those wrappers are typically associated with yoruba because its part and parcel of yoruba culture.

The dressing is usually worn by oba's wives and in olden times they werent allowed to wear anything else.

I've seen a photo of my grandma(yoruba) when she was young-maybe in her twenties or so- and that was the kind of wrapper she tied.

Yoruba cultural dances also feature that exact dressing combined with horsetail. Horsetails are very prominent in the traditional culture.

I really dont know what you're trying to accomplish with these lies of yours. Its getting too much.
I could assume an edoid link for the photo because of the hair beads, but some yorubas also use those and the horsetails are more conclusive.

really i don't understand the man

he is even talking of horse tail made from dogs, etc
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by odumchi: 5:19pm On Aug 19, 2011
@ Tpia

I won't argue with you. But Igbo women wore such cloth in the olden days and wore "ola" hair beads at important or significant events. Women of high rank in society (queens and etc) also continue to wear such beads today. My point is that picture is Igbo. I rest my case.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Do You Believe In These Superstitions? / topic closed / The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.