Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,426 members, 7,819,551 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:59 PM

Igbo Women And Social Status - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Women And Social Status (28559 Views)

When Would Yoruba Men Start Marrying Igbo Women? / Beauty Of Igbo Women / Igbo Women: The Most Socially Empowered In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by tpia5: 12:05am On Aug 20, 2011
odumchi:

I provided you with the link that states it was taken in that era. Do you have any evidence that disproves it? Besides Ogbos didn't trade with Binis and Yorubas. I told you they traded with other Easterners. Here's a link of Igbo trade routes prior to 1900.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/33/Igbo_Trade_Routes_before_1900.svg

well, the sources i quoted listed one trade route from ijebu to ijaw.

then another between ijaws and ndoki.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by ChinenyeN(m): 12:14am On Aug 20, 2011
Akwete people did not learn weaving from Ijebu Ode. The contact with Ijebu Ode inspired innovation, but the industry itself did not come from Ijebu Ode.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by tpia5: 12:15am On Aug 20, 2011
well, cant find much info on ndoki, but they seem to be located in akwa ibom, abia and rivers states.

there's an ndoki in congo  but nothing to do with this topic i guess.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by tpia5: 12:17am On Aug 20, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Akwete people did not learn weaving from Ijebu Ode. The contact with Ijebu Ode inspired innovation, but the industry itself did not come from Ijebu Ode.

that's possible.

i think there was a prior weaving industry which got replaced by akwete mainly due to ijaw [consumer] demand.

at least, going by those links i quoted.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by ChinenyeN(m): 1:24am On Aug 20, 2011
In regards to dancing with the fly-whisk, our girls/women hold a fly-whisk during the Mgbede ceremony/dance.

tpia@:

that's possible.

i think there was a prior weaving industry which got replaced by akwete mainly due to ijaw [consumer] demand.

at least, going by those links i quoted.

Other textile/weaving products were still being made alongside the renown Akwete products. So I wouldn't say that Akwete replaced them, more like overshadowed. And the overshadowing happened mainly because Akwete created a closed market industry. They were [if I'm not mistaking] the first in the area to make avid use of imported yarn and silk, and to top it off, they kept their weaving practices secret. So anyone who wanted the kind of cloth that Akwete made, could only get it from Akwete. They held a monopoly in the area until the 19th century, when neighboring communities learned the practice.

Aside from that, Akwete cloth was nicely made. The Ijo were not the only Akwete consumers. Other surrounding communities prized Akwete cloth just as much, but the Ijo were in active trade with Europeans, and so their demand for Akwete would be well established and well known, as opposed to other communities.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by tpia5: 4:58am On Aug 21, 2011
^interesting info, thanks.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by ChinenyeN(m): 12:26am On Aug 22, 2011
No problem.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by ifyalways(f): 1:08pm On Aug 22, 2011
Ngwa,Dede Andrew,Resume duty.Lets have more pics smiley
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by ezeagu(m): 1:41pm On Aug 22, 2011
tpia@:

The photo i've been referring to is the one where the women are holding horsetails.

ie this one:

I hope nobody thought i meant the other pictures where the women were tying george or up and down which everybody knows is an igbo form of dressing.

This picture is commonly described as Igbo women just because at one time the picture was linked with a web page that dealt with African material and 'Igbo women' was mentioned and became a search term. If you check the origin of the picture, you will find out that these women in fact are not Igbo women, but women from what is now Edo State.

"Northern Edo: the Northern or Akoko Edo are a culturally diverse range of peoples living in small villages to the south and west of the town of Okene. Alongside a lot of very obscure and localised traditions of cloth decoration, they wove fine indigo wrappers from hand-spun cotton. The picture below (taken in the 1960s) shows senior women from the royal family in a small village called Somorika wearing locally woven cloths, some of which mix hand spun cotton with white linen-like thread obtained from tree bark."

Link: http://www.adireafricantextiles.com/nigerianwomen2.htm
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by ezeagu(m): 1:49pm On Aug 22, 2011
Below is a 'noble' Igbo woman of Onicha in a funeral for a late Obi in the 60s, one of the ways you could tell those Edo women weren't Igbo is because Igbo women are known for wearing two wrappers, and in the olden days married women wore ivory bracelets. Their coral-beaded hair is also something uncommon to Igbo communities, at least, east of the Niger.

By the way horses were traded in Igboland for centuries from the north, they just didn't stay alive.

[center][/center]
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by tpia5: 3:01pm On Aug 22, 2011
^Who is your post meant for?
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by tpia5: 5:27pm On Aug 22, 2011
Alongside a lot of very obscure and localised traditions of cloth decoration, they wove fine indigo wrappers from hand-spun cotton. The picture below (taken in the 1960s) shows senior women from the royal family in a small village called Somorika wearing locally woven cloths, some of which mix hand spun cotton with white linen-like thread obtained from tree bark."

anyway, here's some info on precolonial weaving industries in yoruba and benin. The clothes were exported to other parts of nigeria and ghana as well. Europe also.

http://books.google.com/books?id=QKD_VNQ0MF4C&pg=PA42&dq=akoko+cloths&hl=en&ei=P4BSTsGhJcnr0gH96rDiBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAzgK#v=onepage&q=akoko%20cloths&f=false
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by tpia5: 5:20am On Aug 24, 2011
ifyalways:

Ngwa,Dede Andrew,Resume duty.Lets have more pics smiley

can you spell out exactly what you're saying for those of us who are a bit slow to get it?
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by odumchi: 6:17am On Aug 24, 2011
Ngwa is the equivalent on oya
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by ifyalways(f): 8:58am On Aug 24, 2011
Odumchi can you please translate your siggy for me.I could not get past "onye ukwu zuo".Thanks.
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by odumchi: 8:30pm On Aug 24, 2011
No problem, thanks for the interest smiley

It says "A poor man steals maggi and the police hang him. A rich man steals money and they shake his hand"

1 Like

Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by ifyalways(f): 8:54pm On Aug 24, 2011
Ok.Thanks.I wud write it this way "Nwa mgbei zuo maggi,ndi police a kugbuo ya,onye ukwu zuo,ha a na(ra) ya aka".
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by odumchi: 12:41am On Aug 25, 2011
Ok thanks
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by AndreUweh(m): 7:09pm On Aug 29, 2011
modern day igbo lady.

Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by ifyalways(f): 10:07am On Aug 30, 2011
^That girl is pretty.I dikwa sure na obu onye Igbo,maka ndi uta cheesy
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by AndreUweh(m): 3:24pm On Aug 30, 2011
ifyalways:

O kwa nwunnem nta
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by odumchi: 10:17pm On Aug 31, 2011
ifyalways:

Ndi uta ma atariri uta
Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by AndreUweh(m): 10:08am On Jul 04, 2012
The status of the Igbo women now is all inclusive and tolerant to those who were not originally Igbo. What prevails now is the Igbo culture which the new arrivals have adopted. This makes them Igbo as well. What do you think?.

Re: Igbo Women And Social Status by ifyalways(f): 12:30pm On Jul 04, 2012
Lol, my brothers no dey hear word. Ha na-akupagide ebe obula ugbo bujere ha. Lovely picture, dede Andrew.
Acceptance of other or foreign women is embraced and encouraged now though a few communities still place a sort of limitation to the so called "acceptance". Their is a special status and endless possibilities in the community, church etc to an "umuada" and "Nwa di ani" while for foreign women (sometimes)include Igbo women married from other another Igbo town, same can't be said, little segregation here and there , can't contest for okwa na nzuko "Christian mothers" etc. Very common in ideato area.
Lovely picture Andrew.
@odumchi, eziokwu. Lol

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Do You Believe In These Superstitions? / The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People / topic closed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.