Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,572 members, 7,820,056 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:08 AM

Covenant University - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Covenant University (29207 Views)

See Covenant University Mobile Phone Outlaw Undertaking / Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? / Which Is Better? Covenant University Or Babcock University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Covenant University by debola(f): 11:23pm On Oct 15, 2005
Thank you very much have been waiting for this kind of decision to come up, let me tell you something...I have an elder Friends a custom officer he ains 70,000 naria per month and has 4 kids he is devoted to winners chapel cause he goes to winners before they started building covenant university... Bishop announced that people should raise money for the CU as in they should raise any amount to build the school my friend took half of his salary "35,000" and gave it to the church thinking that when the school is done his almost graduated child will be there cause he was sure it was going to be affordable at least like 50,000 naria since it church thing.recently bishop said we should raise money to build the schools library imagine and you guys are paying 250,000 yet you are still asking the church to assist you students when the people that has devoted all there life in the church cant get there children admitted into the school because it is too expensive for a church.it meant to assits the masses too not only the rich and i will tell seun to tell there VC to tell bishop to stop asking the church members to raiseany amount because it painful.OK seun it sad cry
Re: Covenant University by joshjosh(m): 11:07am On Nov 02, 2005
i have to disagree with the above post by my dear sister debola. you guys are doing a great job sowing into people's life. the issue should be how scholarship's or some form of reduced sponsorship could be given to some of these poor student.

many of the older nigerians and africans attended church sponsored schools. most of the people that paid the money from abroad to create those schools were not themselves rich.

i think the kind of christianity of getting all we can and canning all we get to ourselves stinks.

if most churches don't go into competition of build the best church and who appears on tv more or who does the biggest crusade, they would be able to offer scholarship to poor kids. the bible says life in all its fullness and that is what churches should offer and not just sermons.

by the way, i love bishop oyedepo and i pray God to bless the work of his hands more in Jesus name.
Re: Covenant University by doubleface(m): 2:42am On Dec 15, 2005
i cann't image how a church or any organisation will use her member's money to build a school that 95% of her members cann't afford to send their children there.ONLY IN NAIJA
Re: Covenant University by vyvyan(f): 7:00pm On Dec 27, 2005
Covenant University is indeed arevolution in the making and I think its one of the greatest decisions a Nigerian student should make.Now come to think of it, Covenant University is about the cheapest private university in Nigeria considering all other things such as electricity, water, very good accomodation, qualified lecturers, conducive environment, good structures, up to date facilities, absence of cult, a loving Chancellor who wants the best for his students and every other thing one would need to graduate with an excellent result.
I think it is not for the elitist as one said. The fact that the school is established by a Church does not make it a tuition free university as they would also have to pay their bills.beside running a university is no child's play. I believe that in no time, covenant university will be a yardstick for measuring University education in Nigeria.
Re: Covenant University by doubleface(m): 8:33pm On Jan 03, 2006
@vyvyan........wat does it take for someone to be a chancellor......wit due respect to the bishop...wat qualification does he have to qualify him as the chancellor.......He does not necessary have to be the chancellor......but wat abt his wife? wat post does she hold there?
Re: Covenant University by okbrume(f): 12:35am On Feb 09, 2006
No offence but I think the fact that you are an Entrepreneur should make you understand what this school is working towards. In the third year of each students course, they are made to start a company and as time goes by and as they gather Entrepreneurship skills, they build up on the idea of the company. It is to make students become independent and self-reliant.
As far as the school fees goes, you have to spend much to earn much. I do not support that it it as much as it is, but I understand that it takes a lot of money to keep a school like that running. The only thing I don't quite agree with is the strictness issue. I understand that discipline enhances growth, but isn't that what secondary school was for?
Re: Covenant University by tochi(f): 5:19am On Feb 09, 2006
I think covenant could be pretty expensive or cheap depending on what you are comparing it to. If i compare it to a schoo in the United states, it is dirt cheap. If i compare it also to private secondary schools in Nigeria like Vivian Fowler, Loyola Jesuit etc, it is also dirt cheap. It is only when it is compared to other public or state universities that it is considered expensive. My question now is that why is everybody complaining about covenant and not complaining about the outrageous prices of secondary schools all over Nigeria. I am astounded as to how much my youger brothers school fees cost but i cannot complain because inflation is growing faster than the advancement of the country therefore rendering the currency worthless. If a decent lunch at tantalizers cost me 750 naira then i cannot open my mouth to say that covenant is expensive! I am just bieng real here!

1 Like

Re: Covenant University by Bisiriyu: 1:47pm On Mar 15, 2006
Hi Seun,

Are you a student of covenant university? If you are, i want to know the current school fees and the mode of payment i.e installmentally or otherwise.
Re: Covenant University by Bisiriyu: 11:21am On Mar 16, 2006
)

Re: Covenant University
« #32 on: October 15, 2005, 11:23 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you very much have been waiting for this kind of decision to come up, let me tell you something, I have an elder Friends a custom officer he ains 70,000 naria per month and has 4 kids he is devoted to winners chapel cause he goes to winners before they started building covenant university, Bishop announced that people should raise money for the CU as in they should raise any amount to build the school my friend took half of his salary "35,000" and gave it to the church thinking that when the school is done his almost graduated child will be there cause he was sure it was going to be affordable at least like 50,000 naria since it church thing.recently bishop said we should raise money to build the schools library imagine and you boys are paying 250,000 yet you are still asking the church to assist you students when the people that has devoted all there life in the church can't get there children admitted into the school because it is too expensive for a church.it meant to assits the masses too not only the rich and i will tell seun to tell there VC to tell bishop to stop asking the church members to raiseany amount because it painful.OK seun it sad

Report to moderator Logged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debola,

I felt so bad when i read your imput. I would like to know where you worship. Sincerely any one going to church knows that there are convenant opportunities open to individuals.

One of those convenant opportunitiies is using your finances as seed faith to enhance the work of God. You are not doing it for the bishop or the church but for yourself. If you understand this when people are making negative comments regarding money given to the church you'll not partake in such discussions.

Ask your elder friend what that seed he sowed reaped. You'll be surprised to know that it yeilded more than 100%. That seed was seed faith for his miracles.

When you understand this you'll jump at every covenant opportunity. Try it it's practical.
Re: Covenant University by Layemi(f): 12:08pm On Mar 31, 2006
Hi seun, is covenant university the only private university you can dwell upon.You should talk about the other private university and dont be a covenant frick.kudos 2 d job welldone
Re: Covenant University by GL(f): 2:00am On Apr 09, 2006
Covenant University is a business, not a church and so it shouldn't be cheap. Nothing good comes cheap anyway. I think the problem is that Nigerians should be more generous. Wealthy christians should give scholarships, meaningful scholarships. I'm looking forward to the day we'd forget about 5-20k scholarships. Look at the American universities. They are not cheap at all, but they have both need and merit based scholarships. I think that's what we need.

Plus, b4 the establishment of private universities, admission into the govt. universities was difficult. Especially because the elites bribed their kids into the univerisities, leaving very few spaces for the masses. Now with the private universities, many elites don't even bother applying to any govt. university; they go straight for the private ones. This has opened up the spaces in the govt. universities more than we may realize.

I don't think the private universities are too expensive. You can't compare the living conditions in Covenant with govt. universties. The clean and beautiful environment. That doesn't come cheap. Many of these students might have gone abroad and paid more than 5 times this amt. Isn't it better that they're spending the money here and creating jobs here?

I have a sister in Covenant University and we're certainly not elites (though i hate to use "masses" for myself). My parents are working hard to keep her there, and they're being rewarded - no strikes, riots, closing down the school prematurely etc.

We should learn to be more positive about Nigeria. Even in the US, many ppl can't afford the private universities. But if we really think of the effects the private universities can have on education as a whole in the country, we'd all be grateful they're around.
Re: Covenant University by Tdaves(m): 9:30pm On Apr 09, 2006
Seun, thanks for your info about the CU- I mean Convenant University, Anyway, U guys are just talking about the monetary aspect, Lets face reality about the Discipline, I think an undergraduate should be given a chance to be involved in so many activities while on campus, cos education achievement is not all about Academics. The four (4) years on Campus gives proper orientation for future pursuit.I think Convenant University is not making progress on this aspect.
Moreso, allow the university student to be using phone, Ha-ha! They are not grin prisoner.
Toluwa
Re: Covenant University by Feyiotu: 9:20pm On Apr 13, 2006
grin Seun you are funny lol, All u guys are talking about monetary aspect of the vital issue lika this, There is critical problem arising on campus nowadays, I have a cousin schooling in Convenant University and this is his stories:
1. Indefinite Suspention for an undergraduate for using headwarmer while in Jand, merely seeing the picx by the authority, the conclusion is that he had to pay the price, Is that a crime, E gba mi!.

2. Indefinite Suspension for wearing FLY EMIRATE JERSEY as a Chelsea fan, E gba mi, The authority said he is a Cult member.

Expelling people for no reason.

Well, the above are just a tip of an ice-berg. Find more by conferming from the student of the University.

I don talk my own, make police no com catch me! Its bad, treating an undergraduate like a prisoner and judging illegally.
Thanks.
Re: Covenant University by GL(f): 11:59pm On Apr 13, 2006
I'm also against the way they suspend ppl and that they don't allow students use phones. Everyone knows that phones are no longer luxuries, but necessities.

TDaves, I think the discipline is needed (i think they need to redirect theirs though). I wish all Nigerian universities could be stricter and instill some discipline into the students, become concerned not just about their social and academic lives but also morals. If that could happen, our society would be better off.

Not that CU is doing it very well, I think that rather than just suspend ppl, they should try to make them see what's bad in their actions and lead them to Christ, who can change them.
Re: Covenant University by scarface1: 1:22pm On May 31, 2006
on the issue of covenant umiversity i think the people running that uni shold calm down they are dealing with students not criminals how come they claim to be in this world and their students cant use mobile phone and condenming students for wearing a fly emirate jersey i think they should get their acts right Jesus did not come to earth for saints their would have been no point he came for sinners so i think they should try and train their students in the that manner not judge them already i think even christ would be dissapointed.
Re: Covenant University by worldaz: 10:42am On Jun 07, 2006
hey seun,its me WOLE ADEBAYO.Pls can u help me with the websites of all Nigerian private univerities except that of redeemers uni and convennat uni which I already have thanks to NAIRALAND.Thanks I would be expecting a reply from you.
Re: Covenant University by andy4wisdom(m): 6:44pm On Jun 07, 2006
WEL, I THINK EDUCATION IS BECOMING 2 EXPENSIVE
I WILL TRY IGNORANCE grin
Re: Covenant University by ADESUWA(f): 12:48am On Jun 09, 2006
how can some1 be admitted into d convenant.dey dont seem 2 b publisizing their forms .information about d uni is scarce.
pls i need info on how 2 enter,my cousin wants 2 enter d school.she has just completed her waec.pls help thrir website seems not 2 b helping atall
Re: Covenant University by zebudaya(m): 12:02am On Jun 15, 2006
For once I would agree with seun when it comes to monetary issues 250,000 Naira is alright for the quality of education you are receiving Let the poor study hard and go to UNILAG and other federal/public universities. people have gone there, graduated and are doing fine. There's no need complaining about the cards that you have been dealt just play the game.
Re: Covenant University by timmy(m): 7:16pm On Jun 16, 2006
Waoo!! this thread had grown out from the last time i saw it,
Let me start like this, i was opportuned to work/live in covenant university for a little bit over a month. and i tell you, what i saw (see) is way beyond wonders. The school is awesome. The facillities are uptpdate. I worked with the enitre school from the vice chancellor, registrar and all deans, hod's and lectures even non academic staffs, so i have a total feel of the background processes that go on.

Lets start with the compound, the flowery is international, paris standard, the school is so fine, well cared for and kept every day, the buildings are off the hook, strong and beautiful structures. The students are all well mannerd and dressed, the hostel (from outside, anyways) are splendid, the hospitality and method of delivery is cool, You all should not complain, because i felt their vision and i understand very well where and what they intend to achieve.

and now the the main issue, the foods(cafeteria) is four star hotel rated,  i grew freasher and fatter  ;Dfrom eating their , you can visit their newly developed website, to get a view of the school,  the idea is to have an online prescence that tells you what you need to know rather than ask why 250,000 should be paid,  From all i saw, the money is VERY WELL justified, all their lectures are top skilld prefessional, you can view all staff CV from the website

http://www.covenantuniversity.com/index.html

lets know your comment on the site  wink
Re: Covenant University by pipergal: 2:33pm On Aug 12, 2006
Covenant University is a University aimed at raising a new generation of leaders, Nigeria needs good leaders and that is what Covenant University is doing.
Re: Covenant University by pipergal: 3:50pm On Aug 12, 2006
I think we should all stop complaining about Covenant University. One can't appreciate the school except one has been there. I'm a student of Covenant University, agreed comparing the fees to other universities in Nigeria  covenant university is high but you can't compare the standard of the university with other universities. The rate of discipline is very high, you can't wear what you feel like wearing and you can't leave school anyhow.These are attributes of well discilpined people.
The educational system of Nigeria is in a rotten state and we have to appreciate Covenant university for its values.
Re: Covenant University by laykay(m): 5:27pm On Aug 12, 2006
[b]hey guys wats up grin.well i can agree the tuition fee is real high for some guys but come to think about it, do you ask if the student who parents pay so high really get toenjoy the money to the fullest.well i was once a student about going to 300level before i got kicked out! i think the rules and regulations governing them is so harsh their opinion doesn't count too bad they are so ruled out to so many outside the world when we get in there we are in a new world like NO PHONES! NO JEANS TROUSERS OR SKIRT! SPECIFIED T-SHIRTS DRAWINGS AND SO ON! so more but its never told at anywhere. they keep using the saying "YOUR OPINION DOESN'T COUNT" they aint gat any student leader as (SUG) rather student council,which can't talk cos they were put in by them. check this out at 21 still can't make things out for ur self rather keep relying on Dads or mums.
The other aspect is the way the terminate people's lives there by expelling and suspending people even at your final year where do you start or what about all you've paid for! they say "THESE IS NO REHAB CENTRE" a missionary school that can't help you if having problems like addicts to drugs or anything. the other guy said Bishop is sponsoring 23 students well it can be true but they monopoly in the skool is outragous everything is been run by them no outsider and prices are set by them different from the outside world i must say its reall a world of its own if you owe little money men you really hear it! even to the extent that students had to sum up fees to pay a girl outstanding bill 2days to her final exams started if not she won't be allowed ask HOW MUCH? N11,000
well of all these castigations there are still good things there and i feel God is watching and taking control.[/b]
Re: Covenant University by Doncontra(m): 10:14am On Sep 12, 2006
I just read through the various discussions on Covenant University and[b] I would like to clarify some issues[/b]:

Fees

CU is one of the cheapest when compared to other institutions with such facilities which CU is known with, not to talk of Primary and Secondary schools whose fees go as high as Millions in Nigeria Today. The Vice Presidents school Abti goes for about 1M so what are we talking about? It is a Christian University but just to run on Generating Sets alone gulps a lot of money and the fact is that the university is running a loss for now, thanks to the grace of God and the Endowment program that things are moving on without problems.

Scholarship
Am aware the church (Winners) have various scholarship programs going on for members only and even the Bishops of the church do sponsor students you need to interact with this students to know them because the don’t even look poor they are totally taken over and treated just like their children.

Academics
It can’t be said the school has the best hands in the field of academics but to my knowledge the school has been attracting renowned professors and scholars both as temporary and permanent. In 2 years time am sure it would be able to boast of the best hands.

Employment
To correct Seun the entrepreneurship course is being taught right from the first year in all the programs and this is just to prepare the students for the outside world of Stagflation. Recently the university had a pool of all the well meaning Nigerians attend its endowment program and 1 month to the 1st convocation ceremony Companies were already lining up for Students both from home and abroad. It is now left for the first set of the graduating students to make the most of the opportunity. Notable amongst them are Jimoh Ibrahim MD of the NICON group of Companies, Access bank and Spring Bank who even offered to do their aptitude test right on Campus.

The Church
I don’t agree with the person that said the Bishop should not ask the church member to invest in the school. If they don’t do it God will definitely raise a new person to do it they are only being given the opportunity to invest in the kingdom of God as first class citizens of the church.

Chancellor

I don’t think the post held by Dr. Oyedepo should be what we would make a fuss about the NUC is there to regulate that if he is not fit he won’t have been the Chancellor moreover he has his Ph. D for your information.

The school is still regarded as the Best Private University in Nigeria and the Most Sorted after by School leavers. The VC was the Best VC for Private Universities in 2005. We can’t help but applaud the university and say we are marveled by what God is doing. Thanks
Re: Covenant University by brainyme: 3:07am On Sep 16, 2006
@Doncontra
I totally agree with u

Covenant University is one of the best private Universities in Nigeria
besides its the only University that has reached HAVARD UNIVERSITY
standard within a period of FOUR YEARS.

Those of you that are complaining about the fees,
If anyone of you has entered that school and seen the structure,
security and what the Bishop has done to make sure the students
feel at home, you certainlty wont complain.

If anyother man was to own that school, the fees would be higher than that.
Re: Covenant University by Ndipe(m): 9:51am On Oct 16, 2006
Jogego, you are right on point. 250k being levied upon students from a Private Christian University is a rip off. I say so. How many people in Naija can afford to pay such an outrageous amount of money? Do they offer scholarships in the University? What incentives are offered to justify these outrageous fees, especially coming from a Christian institution. I am sure that the missionaries, who came to Africa, to save souls, and offer free education, in the country would be shaking their heads at such a travesty of injustice in our society. No way can someone convince me that the money is justified. In America here, the mere mention of a private college, though associated with prestige, is expensive. But the incentive is that most of these private colleges/universities offer scholarships to the lower class of the society, those who would not have been given the opportunity to go to such colleges. Harvard is currently offering a full ride to households earning less than 40k a year. And their fees, while high, and seemingly out of reach for the middle class, can be offset via scholarships.
Re: Covenant University by chyziani: 8:00pm On Oct 17, 2006
Convenant University is a very good private university compared to her other counterparts, though I've never been there before, but have a friend there. But the only thing I think the should have a rethink is about the student's social welfare, we all know they'r training future leaders, but how can a leader lead well if he hasn't felt the pain of the lowly placed citizens, at least they should have a feel of the other side of life, don't get me wrong!, but let them feel as if em' still dey this world, cos I feel the freedom of expression is not there, and thats one of the basic right of a human, how would you ban, phone, jeans, coustomized jersey, , daz so outragious!
Please this is not a secondary school, they are growing adults. grin
Re: Covenant University by boladonas(m): 6:35am On Nov 08, 2006
Seun are u a winner?
How many children of Winners Chapel worshippers can attend the university?
Was the church not supposedly owned by winners for winners children?
abeg leave d matter
God is on the throne
Re: Covenant University by tinuade001(f): 5:43pm On Nov 09, 2006
@ debola
Thank you very much have been waiting for this kind of decision to come up, let me tell you something, I have an elder Friends a custom officer he ains 70,000 naria per month and has 4 kids he is devoted to winners chapel cause he goes to winners before they started building covenant university, Bishop announced that people should raise money for the CU as in they should raise any amount to build the school my friend took half of his salary "35,000" and gave it to the church thinking that when the school is done his almost graduated child will be there cause he was sure it was going to be affordable at least like 50,000 naria since it church thing.recently bishop said we should raise money to build the schools library imagine and you guys are paying 250,000 yet you are still asking the church to assist you students when the people that has devoted all there life in the church can't get there children admitted into the school because it is too expensive for a church.it meant to assits the masses too not only the rich and i will tell seun to tell there VC to tell bishop to stop asking the church members to raiseany amount because it painful.OK seun it sad [i][/i][/color]

how dare u insult the man of God. the bible says touch not my anoited, and do my prophet no harm. you better run for the wrath of God. Bishop Oyedepo is not somebody you can insult. He does not need ur money nor your parents either. next time u want to abuse. look face.
Re: Covenant University by Gamine(f): 4:01pm On Nov 14, 2006
I am Proud to be a Hebronite! cheesy
Being a student of CU isnt easy at all esp the phone issue

but then its abt learning hw to discipline urself i wont be there forever
me ive got just a year to go and when i come out i will use it till i die.

Abt the sch, its cheap if u compare it to some secondary schools in naija
, its the cheapest private uni and what obtains here is totally awesome

its not a charity school, im a winner but thank God my parents can afford the fees
there are things put in place to help those who cant, schooling is not by force,
like the school always says we didnt apply to u ,u applied to us ,so bear the rules!
Re: Covenant University by Gamine(f): 3:16pm On Jan 06, 2007
pics of me school

Re: Covenant University by Nobody: 5:30am On Jan 07, 2007
So this Gamine school goes to Covenant, they should straighten you out there. Nice school though, I was there this summer, I attended the Youth Convention at Winners' Chapel for a whole week. School is nice and well organized! grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How We Attained Academic Excellence - By 10 First Class Graduates (pics) / Newly Admitted UNICAL Students Pour Each Other Water To Celebrate (pics) / Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.