Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,076 members, 7,957,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 04:00 AM

Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. (8682 Views)

China Fuel Pumps Want To Kill Me. / Fuel Pumps For Sale / Toyota Recalling 1.8 Million Vehicles Because Fuel Pumps Can Fail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by eherbal(m): 1:25am On Aug 09, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I wish some of the younger guys could have experienced Nigeria of the 70s / 80's, she was just a better country.

Do you guys know we used to have Greyhound buses in Nigeria, telephone booths in Ibadan, LSMTC buses (owned by Lagos State) that ran between Lagos and Ibadan, a functioning highway patrol force, hardly see soldiers on the street, etc

Anyways to your question, back then most cars had external fuel pumps not these ones that are sitting inside the gas tank (I think most of the fires we see on 3MB are from these adulterated cobbled together fuel pumps), external fuel filters, etc The fuel was better but the maintenance was better too.

People actually took their cars in for service, not when it broke. In Ibadan you had a Volvo dealer, Datsun dealer, etc

You actually had brand new taxi cabs, I mean tear rubber Datsuns and Toyotas for taxi in Ibadan, very rare to see a taxi that was battered, there was pride in ownership.

To be a taxi driver, driver, vulgarizer, battery charger, etc were all good professions. Listen to Ayinla Omowura, etc and see how he sings of tipper owners, senior driver at CFAO, etc Nigeria was just better over all

I wish I was more into photo/video graphy then like I am now.
my mum bought her Datsun 120y from sunny motors in the late 70s. the smell of the interior was just Majestic.the last time I saw the type was in abeokuta some over ten years ago,and the nostalgia just flooded in. God save Nigeria grin

4 Likes

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by eherbal(m): 1:35am On Aug 09, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
Here we go.

These are pictures of Fuelpump replaced in the workshop from March 2018 till date. notice a Dark discolouration?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7538106_img201808080951494_jpeg234ea6000b3be3647025c4353c120b83

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7538112_img201808080951552_jpeg08e2adecbf098b2e15d26ccca9817903

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7538123_img201808080952149_jpegf46b589005ed0c24872b36b641ee65a8

Now I have seen Fuelpumps for vehicle Bought brand new in nigeria, used for about 2years and less then 30,000kms in this state.

these are the remains of cannibalised used foreign used fuel pumps from different vehicles, Notice their colours?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7538117_img201808080952075_jpeg94838fcb8689c642c90ec20bdaebbe86

Notice the strainer colours?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7538127_img201808080952321_jpegbde829ab6b0e984d8761068018708048

Fuelpump used in saner climates for 10-20years coming in and looking this good without any human interference.

summary, If you like buy a brand new car or a Foreign used car, as long as you live in nigeria and our system continues to buy horribly refined petroleum products, just set aside a little extra money for a fuel pump every few years.

I would love to see more responses:

Cc: Cc: sultaan, egunmogaji, piyke, Obekediamondfuto, thebigkendo, thecar, sooperrescue, Banky3w, LeJeun3, Mayor2013, autologic, Autoelectng, Kingreign, chukel, radautoworks, opsudei1, oblo, weyreypeye, razaqmb, nurey, nwanneni, Princetom1, cosplay, johnabraham, evilspirit,deedee44, carshopper, protocol, taxiappguy, ifyeez,gentlelife50, jayooh, jergermeister, lacomb, chillex8, fogman, Enyinne krisrock. akanniade10 Kashif chucsmoore. uwemjack and all the others I cannot remember.......
and why was l not mentioned?undecided
pls do the needful grin
Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by Nobody: 2:29am On Aug 09, 2018
eherbal:
my mum bought her Datsun 120y from sunny motors in the late 70s. the smell of the interior was just Majestic.the last time I saw the type was in abeokuta some over ten years ago,and the nostalgia just flooded in. God save Nigeria grin

God save Nigeria for real.

My own Mum bought a Datsun 180K from Arisekola Motors on Ring Road/Liberty junction. It was that or a Mitsubishi Galant Wagon from a dealer near Mokola I think.

My Uncle bought a Datsun 240K GT from a Lagos dealer somewhere.

My Dad imported his Peugeot 404 from France and then bought a Volvo from Briscoe Motors.

Only those who grew up in Nigeria of that era can really appreciate what we have lost as a country little by little.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by LeJeun3: 4:45am On Aug 09, 2018

If you want your fuel pump to last in Nigeria, make desperate effort to ensure that the fuel light on your car never I mean NEVER , EVER come on...

I am yet to drop a fuel tank that doesn't have as much as 2liter of Water/dirt.

That reminds me I have to clean my tank, was doing some calibration and ran the car till I had just 3miles of fuel left, parked the car overnight, woke up to a massive misfire, that was nowhere near the previous day. undecided

1 Like

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by radautoworks: 6:33am On Aug 09, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

naija is legendary grin anuty radu, that 1 year warranty you are splashing upandan hope you are ready grin

You no see us? That's why we reduced from lifetime to one year let us see grin

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by radautoworks: 6:34am On Aug 09, 2018
AutoElectNG:
I have spent a fortune on brand new fuel pumps until I discovered fuel pump must go with fuel filter or a complete pump assembly

Next stage for any car with a metallic tank I have adopted the suggestion put across by the ijebu high chief

Will drop the tank and turn it into a brand new tank using the method he posted on Gazzuzz ford thread

With plastic fuel tanks that may not be necessary

That's exactly why we recommend changing filter and full clean when we do fuel pumps or sending units.
Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by obekediamondfuto(m): 9:34am On Aug 09, 2018
ehen, I Don show....

yes ke....
this is the problem in the country.

there is problem in every sector, people are not willing to pay for value much less pay sef, so those that offer the value have to improvise as well.... to make sure that the money keeps flowing.

Nigeria is a very peculiar nation, a country that has been banned from accessing several websites yet we use proxy to enter by force, a country without principles and values.

it is very difficult to do standard business in Nigeria without cutting corners.... esp when there is no corporate body monitoring the industry one operates in. even when there is a body, that body can be compelled to look the other way, either by force or by con.

o ti re mi kpàà kpáá

my brother just buy the car and drive it like a first wife that will have a junior later in the future.... not as an only wife

1 Like

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by weyreypey: 9:37am On Aug 09, 2018
eherbal:
and why was l not mentioned?undecided
pls do the needful grin
And you quoted the whole thing for 10 words.
Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by obekediamondfuto(m): 10:03am On Aug 09, 2018
radautoworks:

You no see us? That's why we reduced from lifetime to one year let us see grin

lolz, u might need one reduce it to 6months oh.

some kain suspension parts like struts and springs I suggest u reduce it wella too for people that steadily ply itire mushin axis else some people go begin run that road @ 120km

when people ask dem go talk say..... ah ahn, aunty radu will change it for me na... yels ke!!!

but look on the bright side, it will lead to referrals. 1person will bring 10other people and the network keeps looping.... till u have like 3,000 customer base that will be running 120km/hr on otta - abeokuta road .... rest assured that after every 2 weeks they go in for a free swap.

abeg oh, I no wan come one morning see thread on nl..... "I REFUSE TO DO AUTOMOBILE BUSINESS IN NIGERIA "

just kidding tho mama

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by radautoworks: 1:59pm On Aug 09, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

lolz, u might need one reduce it to 6months oh.

some kain suspension parts like struts and springs I suggest u reduce it wella too for people that steadily ply itire mushin axis else some people go begin run that road @ 120km

when people ask dem go talk say..... ah ahn, aunty radu will change it for me na... yels ke!!!

but look on the bright side, it will lead to referrals. 1person will bring 10other people and the network keeps looping.... till u have like 3,000 customer base that will be running 120km/hr on otta - abeokuta road .... rest assured that after every 2 weeks they go in for a free swap.

abeg oh, I no wan come one morning see thread on nl..... "I REFUSE TO DO AUTOMOBILE BUSINESS IN NIGERIA "

just kidding tho mama

Lolz

1 Like

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by eherbal(m): 2:44pm On Aug 09, 2018
weyreypey:

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by eherbal(m): 2:44pm On Aug 09, 2018
weyreypey:
sad

1 Like

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by EngRichie: 5:18pm On Aug 09, 2018
Higher Octane fuel = Higher ethanol content (20 to 40%)
Ethanol = Cleaning and disinfecting agent

Nigeria's petrol = Very poor octane rating.

EngRichie
Automobile Help Desk.
Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by snipesdam(m): 7:34pm On Aug 09, 2018
Previously changed fuel pump some years back on my Corolla. Then I changed my follow come filter 2 years back it has same color as GAZZUZZ posted. Earlier this year I noticed I had to crank twice before engine could start. After managing it for few months I decided to swap it with the old one. Worked for some days without cranking twice. Then returned back to cranking twice again.

I have decided to live with it like that since I have an old spare in my boot waiting for it. I no send am.

This country sef. Imagine today 17 billion to buy fuel monitoring device SMH.... They take us for fools.

70/80s were superb. My daddy bought a brand new Toyota Corona for my mum in 1980 which he discarded 5 years ago. In fact he drove and parked it, until an aboki came and bought it as scrap.

5 Likes

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by Nobody: 1:59pm On Aug 11, 2018
There are some filling stations that are No No for me when it comes to buying fuel. Most of the culprit are big name petrol retailers or franchise.

What also bother me is the secrecy. Someone talked about 2 major filling stations in Marina but didn't mention their names. How do you help prevent the next person from being victim of the station.

The most annoying part is the filling most likely knew and fully aware of the situation but nothing is done. At most they offer you FREE 10 liter to get you to keep your mouth shut.

A friend was once a victim at Forte Oil Gbagada and I was once a victim at NNPC franchise station. The most annoying part is instead of fixing the problem, the filling station would rather sell you expensive priced crap to filter the rubbish they sold you.

3 Likes

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by sultaan(m): 6:16pm On Aug 11, 2018
There are 3 main problems with fuel in Nigeria.
1 Those responsible for the importation of fuel decided to buy the cheapest crap they can find and make some money on the side.
2. Fuel tankers are supposed to be washed when going from diesel to pms, but I don't think they ever wash them.When I was doing IT in Unilever a long time ago suppliers bring in palm oil used for soap tainted with diesel.I never noticed a trailer wash in Lagos.
3. Same as in 2 at gas station using inferior tanks rusted and tainted with water and mud from flooded street..

This is the reason a lot of high performance cars went extinct and only the crappy models survive it was expensive repairing those cars as frequent as a Corolla with the abundant fake parts.

A self made problem by users you will notice when they start asking about fuel economy because N1000 of fuel will get them from point a to b, people buying 1-3 gallon of fuel can't really afford to own a car they permanently drive on reserve till pump dies

If you pay $150-200 for a original fuel pump assembly you will never drive on reserve again

8 Likes

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by snipesdam(m): 9:23am On Aug 20, 2018
Finally my Fuel Pump Gave on me yesterday. After getting set for church 6am open the gate drove out, i felt a slight jerk ignored i was already late for mass. Getting close to church i felt it again with loss of power and engine came back on. Shook my head entered church first and parked. After mass started my engine I couldn't drive up to 60km without jerking, I was rolling slow @ 40km. Once i stepped a little hard on the gas pedal power loss and disco lights on my dashboard. SMH

Got home brought out the other pump i had in my boot (though somewhat faulty) and replaced it same issue. i just screwed the cover back dropped the back seat on top it. Today i'll enter ikokwu to buy a new pump.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by radautoworks: 10:54am On Aug 20, 2018
snipesdam:
Finally my Fuel Pump Gave on me yesterday. After getting set for church 6am open the gate drove out, i felt a slight jerk ignored i was already late for mass. Getting close to church i felt it again with loss of power and engine came back on. Shook my head entered church first and parked. After mass started my engine I couldn't drive up to 60km without jerking, I was rolling slow @ 40km. Once i stepped a little hard on the gas pedal power loss and disco lights on my dashboard. SMH

Got home brought out the other pump i had in my boot (though somewhat faulty) and replaced it same issue. i just screwed the cover back dropped the back seat on top it. Today i'll enter ikokwu to buy a new pump.

Just spend the money and buy a proper warrantied fuel pump from me

1 Like

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by snipesdam(m): 4:31pm On Aug 20, 2018
radautoworks:

Just spend the money and buy a proper warrantied fuel pump from me

Sorry radautoworks na PH i dey courier would have taken 24hrs... Already got the pump this evening. Next time
Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by erico2k2(m): 4:36pm On Aug 20, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
Here we go.

These are pictures of Fuelpump replaced in the workshop from March 2018 till date. notice a Dark discolouration?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7538106_img201808080951494_jpeg234ea6000b3be3647025c4353c120b83

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7538112_img201808080951552_jpeg08e2adecbf098b2e15d26ccca9817903

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7538123_img201808080952149_jpegf46b589005ed0c24872b36b641ee65a8

Now I have seen Fuelpumps for vehicle Bought brand new in nigeria, used for about 2years and less then 30,000kms in this state.

these are the remains of cannibalised used foreign used fuel pumps from different vehicles, Notice their colours?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7538117_img201808080952075_jpeg94838fcb8689c642c90ec20bdaebbe86

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7538127_img201808080952321_jpegbde829ab6b0e984d8761068018708048

Fuelpump used in saner climates for 10-20years coming in and looking this good without any human interference.

summary, If you like buy a brand new car or a Foreign used car, as long as you live in nigeria and our system continues to buy horribly refined petroleum products, just set aside a little extra money for a fuel pump every few years.

Cc: Cc: sultaan, egunmogaji, piyke, Obekediamondfuto, thebigkendo, thecar, sooperrescue, Banky3w, LeJeun3, Mayor2013, autologic, Autoelectng, Kingreign, chukel, radautoworks, opsudei1, oblo, weyreypeye, razaqmb, nurey, nwanneni, Princetom1, cosplay, johnabraham, evilspirit,deedee44, carshopper, protocol, taxiappguy, ifyeez,gentlelife50, jayooh, jergermeister, lacomb, chillex8, fogman, Enyinne krisrock. akanniade10 Kashif chucsmoore. uwemjack and all the others I cannot remember.......
SO in knot shell, our importers go and buy crap fuel to import to us in 9ja.

3 Likes

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by pannyman(m): 5:54pm On Aug 20, 2018
Meanwhile, the drivers who deliver cars to places far away from Lagos are very stingy about spending money on fuel. In November when my car was driven over to me in Port Harcourt the fuel ⛽ light was on already. The driver wasn't concerned that he might just run out of petrol before getting to his destination.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by radautoworks: 6:06pm On Aug 20, 2018
snipesdam:

Sorry radautoworks na PH i dey courier would have taken 24hrs... Already got the pump this evening. Next time

No next time amen cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by oweniwe(m): 10:06pm On Aug 20, 2018
EgunMogaji:

God save Nigeria for real.

My own Mum bought a Datsun 180K from Arisekola Motors on Ring Road/Liberty junction.

Datsun 180k ... My Dad's second car...

Very strong and rugged.

It was still running fine until 2003 when my dad gave it to his younger brother who sent the poor thing to the grave

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by Carshopper(m): 6:39am On Aug 22, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
Here we go.

Oga, where u dey make me cry? Kai....

I want to believe petroleum products used in this country contributes 60% to vehicle breakdown then a careful maintenance scheduling

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by obekediamondfuto(m): 6:44am On Aug 22, 2018
Carshopper:

I want to believe petroleum products used in this country contributes 60% to vehicle breakdown then a careful maintenance scheduling

more like 50percent..... and the fuel is to a car what food is to a human....
recurring consumable.... remember the adage that says "you are what you eat"

tell ur car that this morning!

1 Like

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by Carshopper(m): 7:52am On Aug 22, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

more like 50percent..... and the fuel is to a car what food is to a human....
recurring consumable.... remember the adage that says "you are what you eat"

tell ur car that this morning!

My car don learn bad language .... oyinbo language don comot him mouth

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by radautoworks: 2:38pm On Aug 22, 2018
Carshopper:

[b]I want to believe [/b]petroleum products used in this country contributes 60% to vehicle breakdown then a careful maintenance scheduling

That is not what we said. If that was the case, those if us who take care of our maintenance and are careful filling our tanks would have to change pumps like everyone else- and we don't.

Maintained properly, your pump will last even with the fuel here.

*MODIFIED FROM ORIGINAL TO MAKE MORE SENSE
Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by Carshopper(m): 4:48pm On Aug 22, 2018
radautoworks:

That is not what we said. If that was the case, those if us who takes care of our maintenance and are careful of filling out pumps would have to change them like everyone else- and we don't.

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:32pm On Jul 21, 2020
Same rules still apply

1 Like

Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by thebigkendo(m): 9:39pm On Jul 21, 2020
radautoworks:

That is not what we said. If that was the case, those if us who take care of our maintenance and are careful filling our tanks would have to change pumps like everyone else- and we don't.

Maintained properly, your pump will last even with the fuel here.

*MODIFIED FROM ORIGINAL TO MAKE MORE SENSE

Just curious.. How does one maintain a fuel pump?
Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by radautoworks: 10:25pm On Jul 21, 2020
thebigkendo:

Just curious.. How does one maintain a fuel pump?

ROFL! Not waiting till "E" or reserve before filling up, being careful where you buy and using additives.

Sidenote: damn you must be bored! August 2018 grin
Re: Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. by thebigkendo(m): 12:13am On Jul 22, 2020
radautoworks:

ROFL! Not waiting till "E" or reserve before filling up, being careful where you buy and using additives.

Sidenote: damn you must be bored! August 2018 grin

IMO I don't think that will save one from "Nigeria fuel pump" plague, I practised all except the additive part, I see additives as snake oil, especially for regular old pre-2010 Toyota & Honda cars we drive in Nigeria grin
The picture was taken sometime in 2018, the car was 4 years in Nigeria.. I went against the popular opinion by replacing only the fuel pump, stainer was not clogged

Sidenote: This thread was on cartalk front page grin grin

but I am presently going through a 2013 thread grin grin
https://www.nairaland.com/1326560/t-dies-2002-audi-a4-b6

Just finished this:
https://www.nairaland.com/1528899/sienas-mk5-toyota-hilux-customisation

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Much Does It Cost To Register A Car In Nigeria / 4 Symptoms You’ll Notice If The Water Pump Of Your Car Is Bad Or Failing / Audi Q7 S-line 4,2 V8 FSI Versus Volkswagen Touareg R50 5,0 V10 TDI?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.