Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,095 members, 7,957,098 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 07:06 AM

To Rebuild Or To Replace? - Car Talk (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / To Rebuild Or To Replace? (25404 Views)

Small Nyash... The Rebuild/restoration / How To Rebuild A Honda Accord 1999 V6 Rack And Pinion Steering Gear / Imo Black Cab: Innoson Buses Replace Keke In Owerri (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by Kashif(m): 10:52pm On Aug 25, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Oh they’ve beat me black and blue already on here. Just last night someone called me s backyard mechanic grin

Very little of my client will come from Nairaland so I’m content with just beer parlor talks on here mostly grin

A wise decision. Too many e-warriors in here.

3 Likes

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by weyreypey: 10:54pm On Aug 25, 2018
Kashif:

A wise decision. Too many e-warriors in here.
Leave egun. I am eyeing his 4runner.... I believe he'd be selling soon
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by seunoj: 11:00pm On Aug 25, 2018
Thanks to Team replace and Team rebuild for the edutainment. It was really engaging. For me, there was no fight anywhere, it just a case of heated argument similar to face off u watch on TV.

Bottom line, participants should be understanding and know that the issues and discussions were mainly for the purpose of customers education and awareness and not to denigrate anyone.

Finally, the decision to rebuild, replace or repair is in the hand of the customer based available info.

Thanks you

2 Likes

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 12:58am On Aug 26, 2018
Kashif:

If you really think you can change the entire repair environment here, more power to you. You are trying hard to drive your vision, but I think you are beginning to over do it. You reply to everything, emphasising how prepared you are, how you did not come here to joke, etc. To be honest, you may be unconsciously doing yourself some disservice. The taste of the pudding is in the eating.

Somebody already said the easy thing to do is to pick faults, and I echo that. You can never probe an anus without coming up with poo. I remember the story about the tortoise who went to steal from his in-law's house. He let the case turn against him because he pursued revenge excessively.

You have a business model; work with it, and ignore what others are doing that works for them. No need for this endless jabs. You CANNOT solve the auto repair problem in Naija; you can only carve a niche for yourself.

Ka Chineke mezie okwu!

Advice Egun already learnt apparently! I definitely hear you. Thanks.

I was raised to always reply when spoken to and it's a really bad habit to break! I'm trying though

@thebigkendo the problem won't be if something goes wrong. It will be how we handle it. wink
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by empron(m): 2:29am On Aug 26, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Time will tell if the due diligence I followed was faulty.

Secondly, America sets so many automotive standards that the world follows.

Think OBD II for example.

Think of the California's Bureau of Automotive Repair.

Think of the standards for collision repair in the Americas.

I too have undergone ASE education.

So I will naturally gravitate towards the American way of doing things.

I think we would benefit more if we did not fight radautoworks but tried to learn from her

------------------------------
MODIFIED BELOW
-----------------------------

For the academically inclined among us:

Ignore America or more accurately California's disproportionate influence over the automotive industry at your own peril
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-cant-do-approach-of-the-american-auto-industry_us_58d8fb3de4b0f633072b3979

There is another important paper worth reading it is entitled: "The road to 2020 and beyond:
What’s driving the global
automotive industry?"
and it is published by McKinsey&Company, look for it and download it with your favorite search engine

Will we also fight Egunmogaji if he were were to post about his methods here?

Or are we fighting raduatoworks because she is american? Or because she is no technician but a knowledgeable nonetheless? Or she is a woman in a man's world?

Or is this a turf war in the making?

Parting shot: The automotive market is a global one not a local one, in plain language, we don't set standards, we follow them. We have a choice to be a local champion or an international star, I would rather be the later, and it begins and ends with the standards we choose to align ourselves with, whether they be local or global.

Well said.

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by OPUSDEI1(m): 8:17am On Aug 26, 2018
[quote author=Kashif post=70610983]

If you really think you can change the entire repair environment here, more power to you. You are trying hard to drive your vision, but I think you are beginning to over do it. You reply to everything, emphasising how prepared you are, how you did not come here to joke, etc. To be honest, you may be unconsciously doing yourself some disservice. The taste of the pudding is in the eating.

Somebody already said the easy thing to do is to pick faults, and I echo that. You can never probe an anus without coming up with poo. I remember the story about the tortoise who went to steal from his in-law's house. He let the case turn against him because he pursued revenge excessively.

You have a business model; work with it, and ignore what others are doing that works for them. No need for this endless jabs. You CANNOT solve the auto repair problem in Naija; you can only carve a niche for yourself.

Ka Chineke mezie okwu!
Well said sir.

2 Likes

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by nurey(m): 8:58am On Aug 26, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

we repair when necessary and cost efficient.

We replace to ensure client gets a better value for money spent.

With what I have learned from Siena and EgunMogaji I think replacing the corolla engine is the feasible thing to do.

Rebuilding engine is more than throwing in a crank shaft, pistons assembly and oil pump. Is there a necessary tool to checkmate engine block spec, piston head positioning etc. Coupled with importing to the smallest head bolt and waiting time for delivery.

Since it's not a Auston Martin, McLaren F1 or a Nissan gtr godzilla replace the damn engine.

If the customer dash you the engine and you rebuild and put in open market for sale the same guys shouting rebuild when you tell them price and condition of engine them go carry their 1 and half K-leg run go buy tokunbo grin
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by elshanAutos: 12:05pm On Aug 26, 2018
Tired of reading this thread.

Reminds me of when uber/taxify was relatively new in Lagos, from yellow cab associations to even Lagos state government, everything was done to frustrate & close them down. BUT, change is the only constant thing in life.

Above scenario, is what is replaying itself on this thread, no matter how subtle it may look.

ALSO, there seems to be a madam who has clearly re-inforced that she’s not here to play grin

So, I will be watching from the sidelines. grin

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by elshanAutos: 1:04pm On Aug 26, 2018
weyreypey:

you have taken sides already
Do not reply me like I know who you are.
And kindly modify your comment, you broke rule 10. Cheers!

I’m not here to take sides with anyone, what I stated is a FACT, and I repeat- Change is the only constant thing in life.

2 Likes

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by weyreypey: 1:05pm On Aug 26, 2018
elshanAutos:

Do not reply me like I know who you are. YES YOU DO.
And kindly modify your comment, you broke rule 10.
NO RULES BROKEN.
Cheerss!

I’m not here to take sides with anyone, what I stated is a FACT, and I repeat- Change is the only constant thing in life.

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by weyreypey: 1:06pm On Aug 26, 2018
elshanAutos:

Do not reply me like I know who you are. YES YOU DO.
And kindly modify your comment, you broke rule 10.
NO RULES BROKEN.
Cheerss! CHECK SPELLING

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by elshanAutos: 1:08pm On Aug 26, 2018
@ weyreypey I do not know who you are, as per your moniker. Kindly look up rule 10, and do the needful, thanks. My moniker is elshanautos. Nothing else..
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by elshanAutos: 1:32pm On Aug 26, 2018
asamwababy:
So na unto aunty radautos matter all these grown men dey knack teeth like this.

Replace Engine Nig Ltd gang.
@ bolded says a whole lot actually.. there is obviously more than meets the eye, it’s not all black and white.

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by HeavenlyBang(m): 2:12pm On Aug 26, 2018
Such an egregious thread. angry

Can't we all just live in peace, smoke a blunt, and make sweet automotive love?

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 3:40pm On Aug 26, 2018
HeavenlyBang:
Such an egregious thread. angry

Can't we all just live in peace, smoke a blunt, and make sweet automotive love?

ROFL! I think my side job might be stealing memes from this site!

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 3:50pm On Aug 26, 2018
nurey:

With what I have learned from Siena and EgunMogaji I think replacing the corolla engine is the feasible thing to do.

Rebuilding engine is more than throwing in a crank shaft, pistons assembly and oil pump. Is there a necessary tool to checkmate engine block spec, piston head positioning etc. Coupled with importing to the smallest head bolt and waiting time for delivery.

Since it's not a Auston Martin, McLaren F1 or a Nissan gtr godzilla replace the damn engine.

If the customer dash you the engine and you rebuild and put in open market for sale the same guys shouting rebuild when you tell them price and condition of engine them go carry their 1 and half K-leg run go buy tokunbo grin

I agree but I never called it a rebuild. I just said engine didn't need replacement.

3 Likes

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:01pm On Aug 26, 2018
elshanAutos:
Tired of reading this thread.

Reminds me of when uber/taxify was relatively new in Lagos, from yellow cab associations to even Lagos state government, everything was done to frustrate & close them down. BUT, change is the only constant thing in life.

Above scenario, is what is replaying itself on this thread, no matter how subtle it may look.

ALSO, there seems to be a madam who has clearly re-inforced that she’s not here to play grin

So, I will be watching from the sidelines. grin
There's an automotive revolution coming in Nigeria. Things won't be the same anymore.

4 Likes

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by nurey(m): 4:01pm On Aug 26, 2018
radautoworks:

I agree but I never called it a rebuild. I just said engine didn't need replacement.

Rebuilding engines is very good as it makes it perform like brand new, the issue is the Nigerian factor Sha.

Also I didn't know the thread had been split into 2 and people taking sides I won't have even bothered to comment at all. But alas I followed late
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by nurey(m): 4:10pm On Aug 26, 2018
tensazangetsu20:

There's an automotive revolution coming in Nigeria. Things won't be the same anymore.

You are right, everybody just dey open garage all around town.

There is a new one at Akin adesola VI and Herbert Macaulay before Sabo
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:13pm On Aug 26, 2018
nurey:

You are right, everybody just dey open garage all around town.

There is a new one at Akin adesola VI and Herbert Macaulay before Sabo
Both in terms of auto parts and services.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by antagonist: 4:17pm On Aug 26, 2018
well things seem to have calmed down here, besides the occasional jab by latecomers to the discussion, those ones are like those guys that always hang around after an event in nigeria for free booze and leftover meat

the sage talking about uber in lagos should go read about uber in china. look beyond jinping's protectionist policies and you would understand why uber packed up and fled such a burgeoning market

like I said before, what works in market a may not work in market b

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by nurey(m): 4:28pm On Aug 26, 2018
tensazangetsu20:

Both in terms of auto parts and services.

Mostly minor parts are stocked like tires, sparkplug, oil etc not like aunty setup Sha
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by weyreypey: 4:57pm On Aug 26, 2018
elshanAutos:

@ bolded says a whole lot actually.. there is obviously more than meets the eye, it’s not all black and white.
Hmm and you are neutral?

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 5:05pm On Aug 26, 2018
nurey:

Rebuilding engines is very good as it makes it perform like brand new, the issue is the Nigerian factor Sha.

Also I didn't know the thread had been split into 2 and people taking sides I won't have even bothered to comment at all. But alas I followed late

Pele. Lol
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by LeJeun3: 5:28pm On Aug 26, 2018

This has been a nice read.....

I made my own position clear.

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Aug 26, 2018
radautoworks:

Correct.

You are rightfully replacing just the broken bits.

3 Likes

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by nurey(m): 6:53pm On Aug 26, 2018
For those of us just joining the thread gun shots were fired at page 10 and allied forces entered battle at page 11, there was no UN peace keeping mission as at then though mostly missiles and mortar based weapons were used.

More details to come when I move on, I am nurey reporting for CBS (cartalk broadcasting service)

Repair or Replace Cartalk world War

4 Likes

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:25pm On Aug 26, 2018
antagonist:
well things seem to have calmed down here, besides the occasional jab by latecomers to the discussion, those ones are like those guys that always hang around after an event in nigeria for free booze and leftover meat

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 8:17pm On Aug 26, 2018
nurey:
For those of us just joining the thread gun shots were fired at page 10 and allied forces entered battle at page 11, there was no UN peace keeping mission as at then though mostly missiles and mortar based weapons were used.

More details to come when I move on, I am nurey reporting for CBS (cartalk broadcasting service)

Repair or Replace Cartalk world War

Na which side go hold reporter hostage? grin
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by Amono: 9:15pm On Aug 26, 2018
Me as a confirmed igbo man, I will ask my self who is making more money.

One will collect 100k and still supply parts.

the other one I fit go market go buy the engine give am to change for me sef. Pay 35k

Nah to change the engine sure pass.

2 Likes

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by thebigkendo(m): 10:15pm On Aug 26, 2018
Amono:
Me as a confirmed igbo man, I will ask my self who is making more money.

One will collect 100k and still supply parts.

the other one I fit go market go buy the engine give am to change for me sef. Pay 35k

Nah to change the engine sure pass.

NEVER!!!! grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

A BMW Made From Recycled Parts Goes 994 Miles On A Single Charge-Sets New Record / Mercedes-benz E-class Coupé - Pictures / Tesla Model S In Nigeria (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.