Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,323 members, 7,829,807 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:00 PM

Ademola Adeleke: Certificate Not Compulsory For Governorship Candidates – Court - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ademola Adeleke: Certificate Not Compulsory For Governorship Candidates – Court (18657 Views)

Chicago State University: Tinubu’s Certificate Not Fake – Temitope Ajayi / Nnamdi Kanu Reacts As Keyamo Claims WAEC Certificate Not Needed To Be President / BREAKING: APC Releases List Of Governorship Candidates From 24 States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ademola Adeleke: Certificate Not Compulsory For Governorship Candidates – Court by mike1994reds: 3:38pm On Aug 09, 2018
seborrhic:

Pls can you cite that portion of the constitution and is it exclusive to governorship candidates or is general to all political offices.
If secondary school attendance alone is the prerequisite,why did Buhari hire 99 SANs just to defend claim of him not having a secondary school certificate?
Until I see that portion of the constitution,I still say that judge has his whole judicial acumen or even qualification all suspect.
My brother I believe you know how to use the internet and you can look it up, section 131 of the yeye 1999 constitution says anyone who is educated up to a minimum level of school certificate is qualified to contest the highest office in the land, 'president'. Same goes for governor, Senators, and so on. I dont have to tell you everything, read it up yourself, dont be lazy.
Re: Ademola Adeleke: Certificate Not Compulsory For Governorship Candidates – Court by Olumeme: 3:47pm On Aug 09, 2018
The constitution didn't say he must be an SSCE holder, or a graduate, it only stipulated that a contestant should be educated up to secondary school level, and should be able to read and write..

It means that if you can get to at least JS 3, and you can read and write, you're qualified
Re: Ademola Adeleke: Certificate Not Compulsory For Governorship Candidates – Court by Kindler: 4:49pm On Aug 09, 2018
I don't think the constitution was mincing words by any degree. After all, largely educated persons drafted it. It was designed to make room for the wisdom of populism (which int'l anti-establishment warlock comes to your mind?). Politics is as liberal as most do not imagine.
Re: Ademola Adeleke: Certificate Not Compulsory For Governorship Candidates – Court by geepeety77: 4:53pm On Aug 09, 2018
The constitution didnt say one must have 5 credits. Simply said WASC even if the result was an f-cellent (f9 all through) result. We are done for in this country. Just wondering y only peeps with track records cant take elective/selective positions. Its high time we made politics unattractive so that peeps like him will sit at home and enjoy being led by peeps with good head
Re: Ademola Adeleke: Certificate Not Compulsory For Governorship Candidates – Court by meforyou1(m): 5:40pm On Aug 09, 2018
modelmike7:
There was a nation!
Even a JSS 3 Certificate holder can become a Governor in this country then.
No wonder.....
buhari president general has certificate?
Re: Ademola Adeleke: Certificate Not Compulsory For Governorship Candidates – Court by lucy10(f): 5:47pm On Aug 09, 2018
They have no case against him after all was it not NEPA bill president Buhari presented when he was asked to present his certificate
Re: Ademola Adeleke: Certificate Not Compulsory For Governorship Candidates – Court by Nobody: 6:48pm On Aug 09, 2018
jchioma:

Nairaland no make you know your mates again... poor parentage I suppose.
Young man, I said shut up, everybody be old man for niaraland.
Re: Ademola Adeleke: Certificate Not Compulsory For Governorship Candidates – Court by MIKOLOWISKA: 6:54pm On Aug 09, 2018
Firefire:
Imagine the level of idiocy in this shhit'hole of a nation.

People with MSc, MBA & even PhD are struggling for job and someone without O'level leading them. Absurd!

Imagine, a missing Certificate man leading 200m people and now this dancing nonentity will become Osun State Governor. It is finished.

Btw: Buhary where is that your missing certificate? grin
masters and PhDs that can't win election. education with no knowledge
Re: Ademola Adeleke: Certificate Not Compulsory For Governorship Candidates – Court by MIKOLOWISKA: 6:56pm On Aug 09, 2018
seborrhic:
Is this a judge or an agbero disguised as a judge?
So the constitution that prescribed a minimum qualification of school certificate for political office was just inserted for the fun of it?
This judge should be investigated. He/she has either been bribed or lacks the basic education to have been made a judge in the first place.
which constitution
yours abi
better learn how to read and comprehend
quote me and die
Re: Ademola Adeleke: Certificate Not Compulsory For Governorship Candidates – Court by MIKOLOWISKA: 7:23pm On Aug 09, 2018
geepeety77:
The constitution didnt say one must have 5 credits. Simply said WASC even if the result was an f-cellent (f9 all through) result. We are done for in this country. Just wondering y only peeps with track records cant take elective/selective positions. Its high time we made politics unattractive so that peeps like him will sit at home and enjoy being led by peeps with good head
how
who
where ispolitics unattractive
Clinton made 30 mill in election year
better stop dreaming
and focus on the track record peeps running for office
Re: Ademola Adeleke: Certificate Not Compulsory For Governorship Candidates – Court by superpundit: 8:18pm On Aug 09, 2018
Gucciblog:
An Osun State High Court presided over by Justice David Oladimeji yesterday dismissed a suit challenging the eligibility of Senator Ademola Adeleke as the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the September 22, 2018 governorship election in the state, saying that the constitution does not state that a candidate for the office of the governor must possess a certificate.

The plaintiffs, Rasheed Olabayo and Oluwaseun Idowu who are members of PDP in Osun had dragged Adeleke to court claiming that he did not possess the required certificate that qualifies him to contest governorship election in the state and urged the court to restrain the party from presenting him to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) as candidate of the party.

They also urged the court to restrain INEC from accepting Adeleke from PDP as its candidate on the basis that the Senator was not qualified, quoting Section 177 (d) of the 1999 Constitution.
In his judgement, Justice Oladimeji said the claims of the plaintiffs that Adeleke does not possess school certificate cannot disqualify him from contesting the election because the constitution does not state that a candidate for the office of the governor must possess a certificate.

Justice Oladimeji said the constitution only stipulated that the candidate must be educated up to secondary school level and that the plaintiff also admitted that the Senator attended Ede Grammar School.
The judge struck out the case saying that whether Adeleke obtained a certificate or not cannot be used to disqualify him and that the fact that he attended the school is enough for him to contest.

From Zenithnaija.com

More below:

https://zenithnaija.com/ademola-adeleke-certificate-not-compulsory-for-governorship-candidates-court/

To me the judgement is a sound one. A judgement is expected to be based on prayers of a litigant as presented before a court. The arguments of the litigants was that even though Adeleke went to Ede Grammar School, he did not finish. So the litigant needs to provide evidence that Adeleke did not finish to certificate level, which they failed to proof. Adeleke had approached the school and the school provided the certificate and Testimonial which shows that he had education to certificate level. That puts to rest that contention that Adeleke did not finish the school. The question that in contentious is what is a certificate level? by my understanding, I assume a certificate level should be final year. So if Adeleke carries a testimonial that says he finished in that school, then he has satisfied the constitutional provision. What we call certificate in todays world is actually the result of your academic performance, and it is immaterial whether he had good grade since the constitution did not specify any benchmark performance as essential. So I strongly believe that that for those who attended secondary school, a either a testimonial or certificate could stand as attestation of attendance, whereas for those who never attended a secondary school, but sat for private exams like GCE, a certificate would suffice.
in that regard, I do not really see the way the judge erred in his judgement, the constitution appeared to have a lacuna on
it meant by ' having secondary education up to school certificate level'. As it were today, a JSS 3 certification is a secondary school certificate level. I would have wished that had the litigants had enough time at their disposal, to proceed to higher courts so that so that the soundness of this judgement could be further tested.

This is an important judgement that has implication even on the contentious issues on PMB's certificate issues and many others.

but the judge went further to say that he noticed that a lot of discrepancies existed in the document submitted by Adeleke, but the court will not dabbled into what does not concern it, since an allegation of forgery was not levelled against Adeleke by the litigants in their prayers before the court.
Those who are following the case would realise that a new case has been filed before the court.
Re: Ademola Adeleke: Certificate Not Compulsory For Governorship Candidates – Court by jchioma: 8:41pm On Aug 09, 2018
charliboy654:

Young man, I said shut up, everybody be old man for niaraland.

Foo.l, the attention you sought has been given. Now, "Go and Die"!
Re: Ademola Adeleke: Certificate Not Compulsory For Governorship Candidates – Court by seborrhic: 9:23pm On Aug 09, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:
which constitution yours abi better learn how to read and comprehend quote me and die
Otele. Dimwit trying to form educated. Bet u are regretting your pitiable life presently.
Re: Ademola Adeleke: Certificate Not Compulsory For Governorship Candidates – Court by atobs4real(m): 8:00am On Aug 10, 2018
modelmike7:
The judge struck out the case saying that whether Adeleke obtained a certificate or not cannot be used to disqualify him and that the fact that he attended the school is enough for him to contest.
Chai!
Chai!
Chia!
Because the judge knows he won't win.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2023: How Southwest Schemes To Take Over Power – Senator Ogunlewe / Masquerades Campaign For Tinubu During Traditional Carnival In Warri (Video) / PDP Will Win Gubernatorial Poll In 24 States – Mu’azu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.