Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,105 members, 7,953,377 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:12 PM

Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' (19380 Views)

Man Cries Out For Help As Thieves Steal His Toyota Camry In Church In Abia / Could Not Recognise Nigerian Currency He Used It To Smoke Weed Haha � � / Stolen Car In Awka: He Parked His Car In Church And It Disappeared (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by bigtt76(f): 12:16pm On Aug 09, 2018
Exactly! Not only there but also at the MMIA, Ikeja ...avoid those people! They would entice you with rates good to be true and count the money right in front of you but shortchange you when giving you the money. Happened to me before so I learnt my lesson ...#NeverAgain

cornoil:
it's just the more you look, the less you see. common occurrence at that spot.

1 Like

Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by AiiVee(m): 12:19pm On Aug 09, 2018
9ja i dab thee... Spiritual transfer of money since the 1960s

Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by bambash(m): 12:21pm On Aug 09, 2018
First of all, the guys that conduct the disappearing act with people's money are not the mallams. They are mostly from other ethnic groups with the Yoruba's being predominant.
Secondly, there is no juju involved the boys are just fast with their fingers.

This the trick. They count the agreed amount less a couple of notes and hand it over to you to verify. When you tell them its short they ask to recount and then you hand it back over to them. At this point, they count again, confirm you were right, and make a show of adding the missing notes while they quickly remove more from the wad of notes. Now, ordinarily they expect that you will no longer count, in fact, they will try to make sure you don't count by telling you all sort of stories like their chairman is coming or the police are coming just so that you will zoom off.

So my advice, stay away from them altogether and deal with the mallams at Alade market area or if you have the liver and want to beat them at their game, hold on to your foreign currency and count the money each time they hand it back to you until you are sure.

Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by Nobody: 12:45pm On Aug 09, 2018
BigSarah:
Can they make buhari disappear? shocked
No?!
Not interested angry
Help this undergraduate Stay in business, check signature for more wink kiss
darling u r pretty...u don't need to show so much cleavage and breasts...
Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by BigSarah(f): 12:48pm On Aug 09, 2018
OneSentence:

darling u r pretty...u don't need to show so much cleavage and breasts...

Sweetheart you don't need to check every one's picture and leave a derogatory comment. You could have looked away or send a private message kiss
Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by Saintp(m): 1:12pm On Aug 09, 2018
Do they also do it for people who want to change from naira to dollars too?

What is the best way to change large amount say N3m to dollars without getting scammed?
Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by godwon01(m): 1:19pm On Aug 09, 2018
Happend to me in front of CMS bookshop in Lagos Island. I came back from UK and I needed to buy few things at Lagos Island and one of this hausa boys that used to call people passing by called me. I went inside with him by CMS ground floor. I changed 300 pounds and after he came and told me that the deal was not good for and that I should have my money back. Alas he gave me fake pounds pounds in returned.
Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by Eddiecute86(m): 1:20pm On Aug 09, 2018
The best way of transacting with them is to take them to the bank. Don't even accept any transfer let them withdraw the money and pay it into your account.
That's how I deal with them
Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by Phyde: 1:20pm On Aug 09, 2018
internationalman:

It's very real bro.

I never believed joy stick could be taken too until I witnessed it when it happened to my cousin.
Hope he got his kini back and How?
Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by godwon01(m): 1:21pm On Aug 09, 2018
Happend to me in front of CMS bookshop in Lagos Island. I came back from UK and I needed to buy few things at Lagos Island and one of this hausa boys that used to call people passing by called me. I went inside with him by CMS ground floor. I changed 300 pounds and after he came and told me that the deal was not good for him and that I should have my money back. Alas he gave me fake pounds in returned.
Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by godwon01(m): 1:21pm On Aug 09, 2018
Happend to me in front of CMS bookshop in Lagos Island. I came back from UK and I needed to buy few things at Lagos Island and one of this hausa boys that used to call people passing by called me. I went inside with him by CMS ground floor. I changed 300 pounds and after he came back and told me that the deal was not good for him and that I should have my money back. Alas he gave me fake pounds in returned.
Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by Akins2luv(m): 1:25pm On Aug 09, 2018
After begging my uncle for over a year... He finally send me $10 I go come go change am.... My money go come disappear.... Omo we go die here today

Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by Phyde: 1:27pm On Aug 09, 2018
Jay5mie:
grin

It doesn't disappear...they actually play with your head...we encounter them daily in seme boarder.

Next time shine your eyes well

They will count 100k but what they are actually holding is 30k cheesy cheesy
Don't the naira receivers reconfirm before leaving the spot? Even some of us recount our money before leaving ATM spot. grin
Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by federal9: 1:29pm On Aug 09, 2018
There is no Juju. You were played and dismayed. Next time make sure you count the money like five to six times. but note that the more you hand it over to them that itsn't complete,the more they remove.

Let's just say you wanted to collect 36,500, he will count 30k and give it to you, now the trick begins.

Now after counting the 30k, you then replied him that it remains 6,500. He then collects the 30k from you and play a very fast one on you.

This is what he does; Immediately you handed him that money as he collects it from you, he would smartly remove 7k out of the money,this is done very quickly and he then counts the money and tells you" it's true ooo, na 30k dey here,he gives it to you and brings out 6,500. Now you have pocketed the 30k ( not knowing 7k had short,just like when ATM pay you and you feel the money is complete and there is no need of counting it again), he then gives you 6,500 and you say it's complete.

Now pressure comes; they will now start to hurry you that this place is dangerous,police,sars,dis and that,agberos are coming, now you feel there are telling the truth and you need your own safety too.

Now you are home,you bring out the money to count and notice that the 30k is shorting 7k and the remaining 6,500 is complete. You begin to say it's juju, black magic, this and dat.

Lets assume now that as he handed that 30k(30k -7k) back to you and you are about to count it, he will tell you he is not changing again and he will give you back your dollars.

YOU JUST HAVE TO BE SMART( what should always be on your mind is to catch them and shout scammer and thief)

3 Likes

Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by internationalman(m): 1:30pm On Aug 09, 2018
Phyde:

Hope he got his kini back and How?
Yes
Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by babz11(m): 1:31pm On Aug 09, 2018
ehn Ehn, did he got his joystick back
Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by buzorcharles(m): 1:33pm On Aug 09, 2018
internationalman:

It's very real bro.

I never believed joy stick could be taken too until I witnessed it when it happened to my cousin.
have ur cousin retrieve his missing prick? I fail to believe. Can I see a pic of no dick shocked
Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by chijokz(m): 1:55pm On Aug 09, 2018
Jay5mie:
grin

It doesn't disappear...they actually play with your head...we encounter them daily in seme boarder.

Next time shine your eyes well

They will count 100k but what they are actually holding is 30k cheesy cheesy
My thoughts exactly...there's nothing magical or voodoo about it..I've changed $ there numerous times.. I tell them how much I'm exchanging, I then count it myself before handing over the $ and being vigilant and alert until I reach my destination..still complete without issues.
Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by Phyde: 1:56pm On Aug 09, 2018
tiwiex:

It doesn't disappear. What happens is a game of distraction. I experienced it and in my smartness they still pulled it off.

They count the money and give to you. It would be one more short. You tell them and they insist it's complete. They tell you to bring it back and you do feeling smart you caught on.

In the short moment you catch on, you probably look away and they double d note in a way they count the same note twice.

For some strange reason on this second count, you don't usually recount because you feel you watched them. They also rush you and out you under pressure that police is coming soon.

You zoom off. Swindle complete. End of story.
Why would you allow them to rush when it comes to money. You take back your hard currency and walk away to the bank. Not a do or die thing.
Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by consultancy: 2:02pm On Aug 09, 2018
eakenbor:
It is not juju. It happened to me last year at Allen Avenue. I lost 12k out of 24k they paid me even after I counted it. I went back there the next day but I could not find the culprits. Instead I met another set of criminals who pretended they don't do such. At first they told me it was juju and that the set of criminals have since moved to other locations. I refused to believe that it was juju. I pressed them for almost 1 hour rubbing minds with them and assuring them that I won't involve the police since 12k is quite small. After a while they agreed to show me what happened. They brought out 100k, asked me to count it. It was 99k after I counted. They added 1 more piece to me it 100k. I recounted it and it became around 50k. About 50k had "disappeared". They repeated the process of "vanishing" the money before my eyes and I learnt the trick. It is not juju. In fact, nothing like juju.
u shuld explain in detail how the money vanishes, so everyone will learn
Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by Phyde: 2:08pm On Aug 09, 2018
bambash:
First of all, the guys that conduct the disappearing act with people's money are not the mallams. They are mostly from other ethnic groups with the Yoruba's being predominant.
Secondly, there is no juju involved the boys are just fast with their fingers.

This the trick. They count the agreed amount less a couple of notes and hand it over to you to verify. When you tell them its short they ask to recount and then you hand it back over to them. At this point, they count again, confirm you were right, and make a show of adding the missing notes while they quickly remove more from the wad of notes. Now, ordinarily they expect that you will no longer count, in fact, they will try to make sure you don't count by telling you all sort of stories like their chairman is coming or the police are coming just so that you will zoom off.

So my advice, stay away from them altogether and deal with the mallams at Alade market area or if you have the liver and want to beat them at their game, hold on to your foreign currency and count the money each time they hand it back to you until you are sure.

Cheers
You just nailed it, Thank you.
Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by swissobed: 2:12pm On Aug 09, 2018
Ma scam dem scam u nothing more
Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by Nobody: 2:15pm On Aug 09, 2018
Olalan:
Somethings are just not explainable.
BTW some peeps would say this is bullshit until it happens to them.....this is africa
how much do you think you have. If those guys gather money give the sars wey you use your hand carry come, you go chop slap on top
Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by Nobody: 2:15pm On Aug 09, 2018
Lols
Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by Phyde: 2:15pm On Aug 09, 2018
Akins2luv:
After begging my uncle for over a year... He finally send me $10 I go come go change am.... My money go come disappear.... Omo we go die here today
grin grin grin grin grin grin Can you imagine.
Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by Nobody: 2:25pm On Aug 09, 2018
BigSarah:

Sweetheart you don't need to check every one's picture and leave a derogatory comment. You could have looked away or send a private message kiss
I'm sorry if came across wrongly but most ladies don't reply private messages and I for one do not really send such except it's necessary.
once again, my apologies...and I didn't mean it in a derogatory manner...I actually checked your profile cos your post said something about helping an undergraduate in business.

1 Like

Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by NuclearWinter: 2:35pm On Aug 09, 2018
Olalan:
Somethings are just not explainable.
BTW some peeps would say this is bullshit until it happens to them.....this is africa

Happened to me about 9yrs back

The scam is simple.

They give you a bundle of money to count claiming it is so so amount.

You count it and it is missing some amounts.

They count the bundle themselves and say you are right. They then gi yo the balance and with quick motion they remove some money from the bundle.

You wi not want to recount the bundle since yo just did that twice.
Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by verocharles(m): 2:58pm On Aug 09, 2018
consultancy:
u shuld explain in detail how the money vanishes, so everyone will learn

It happened to a friend then he went there the second time and was vigilant and caught them with their tricks. That time you gave it back to him that the money wasn't complete, he will squeeze out few notes. Later he will balance you the remaining cash. If you recount it there you will notice that you even have more shortage. But Lagosians are always in hurry . NOT JUJU
Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by BuddhaPalm(m): 3:00pm On Aug 09, 2018
Lol, it didn't "disappear".

They shortchanged you right there while they counted it.

Sleight of hand level 9000...

Happened to me before and caught the guy in the process of doing it.

Don't change money by the road side.

2 Likes

Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by areyouforreal: 3:09pm On Aug 09, 2018
I had experienced it before, but what I did was to go back to the same sport with a Police Man, trust me, the person who perpetrated the act will be fished out and get your money back. Though, you will need to mobilize the Police man.
Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by musicwriter(m): 3:11pm On Aug 09, 2018
eakenbor:
It is not juju. It happened to me last year at Allen Avenue. I lost 12k out of 24k they paid me even after I counted it. I went back there the next day but I could not find the culprits. Instead I met another set of criminals who pretended they don't do such. At first they told me it was juju and that the set of criminals have since moved to other locations. I refused to believe that it was juju. I pressed them for almost 1 hour rubbing minds with them and assuring them that I won't involve the police since 12k is quite small. After a while they agreed to show me what happened. They brought out 100k, asked me to count it. It was 99k after I counted. They added 1 more piece to me it 100k. I recounted it and it became around 50k. About 50k had "disappeared". They repeated the process of "vanishing" the money before my eyes and I learnt the trick. It is not juju. In fact, nothing like juju.

True, but that's how all juju works. You just learned the science of the juju, but it does not make juju unreal to their victims. All juju is nothing but an illusion playing out as reality in the mind of the believer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Man Cries Out After The Foreign Currency He Changed In Ikeja 'Disappeared' by IamAlexander: 3:41pm On Aug 09, 2018
My advise is, don't accept cash. Let the aboki transfer to your account and dial the ussd code of your bank to confirm if the money has entered before parting with the dollar.

My one pence... grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fuel Thief Escapes From Lynch Mob In Port Harcourt(photo) / Five Suspected Kidnappers Terrorising Oyo Arrested (photo) / Man Sets Kano Mosque On Fire During Prayers, 24 Worshippers Injured

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.