Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,733 members, 7,809,814 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:23 PM

World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try (38197 Views)

Quick and Easy To Make Recipes To Try At Home / Get Exceptional Assorted Recipes To Make Your Products Penetrate Tight Market... / 3 Delicious Pressure Cooker Soup Recipes To Try Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by luminouz(m): 1:04pm On Aug 12, 2018
sweetilicious:
I am miss stingy girl.
Even on a Sunday shocked
Where is the love kiss
Iffa don't taste that fried rice,my God will judge u... cry
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by deebrownneymar: 1:04pm On Aug 12, 2018
Quite nice to have jollof day.

I do hope other African Countries won't try to hijack the celebration of our 'precious'. Lol.
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by Yewandequeen(f): 2:19pm On Aug 12, 2018
madridguy:
Same here too, oya enta kitche cook make we chop. tongue

as If u have all the food ingredients there tongue
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by lilyheaven: 2:43pm On Aug 12, 2018
Please I don't like this, I can't even taste any of them. Just pictures, abeg make the food real, I want to eat something..
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by Orpe7(m): 2:45pm On Aug 12, 2018
Party jollof cooked inside them big iron koko is still by far the best grin
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by Shakushaku1(m): 2:57pm On Aug 12, 2018
czarina:
what makes you think so?

meanwhile, check my profile if you live in Jos and environn cool

Will there be happy ending smiley
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by Born2Breed(f): 3:22pm On Aug 12, 2018
HungerBAD:
By Yemisi Odusanya, Contributor

In honour of the forthcoming World Jollof Rice Day which is now celebrated annually on the 22nd of August, here are some Jollof recipes and techniques that you would love: Native Jollof Rice, Jollof Spaghetti and Basmati Jollof Rice.

NATIVE JOLLOF RICE

Not many know about Native Jollof rice and few have tasted it. This Native Jollof Rice will open your eyes to the possibilities of Jollof.

INGREDIENTS
2 cups Regular Rice
Chopped Ugu vegetable
Salt to taste
Seasoning to taste
1 Medium sized Onion
2 Fresh yellow peppers
1/4 cup Smoked Big Prawn
1 Cup Ponmo cut in pieces
1 Tablespoon Ground Crayfish
10 plum tomatoes, 2 habanero pepper, 1 onion mixture
1 big Smoked catfish, deboned
2 Chopped Paprika Chilli
1 Chopped Habanero Pepper
1/4 cup Palm Oil
1 Table Spoon Locust beans/Iru

PREPARATION
Parboil rice then roughly blend and boil pepper mixture (combination of tomato, pepper, and onion) till it is almost dry.
Heat up pot with palm oil, when it is hot add chopped onions, chopped peppers, locust beans, fry for 3 minutes.
Add roughly blended tomato mix, add crayfish, chopped ponmo, smoked catfish (in pieces) and smoked prawns, seasoning cube and salt. Allow this to fry till the oil floats to the top. Now add water, enough to cook the rice, then add the parboiled rice. Stir so that the ingredients will go around, then cover and allow to cook for 20 minutes/till rice is cooked.

JOLLOF SPAGHETTI

Jollof Spaghetti is almost as common as Jollof Rice and there are so many methods for making it. Here’s one recipe you will use over and over again.

INGREDIENTS
1 500g Pack Spaghetti
1 Medium Tin Tomato
0.45kg Minced Beef
2 Medium sized Onions Chopped
I Medium Sized Green Bell Pepper Chopped
6 Big Tomatoes Sliced
3 Scotch Bonnet Chopped
½ Cup Vegetable Oil
Salt to taste
Seasoning to taste
½ Teaspoon Paprika
1 Teaspoon Thyme
1 Tea spoon Ginger
3 Bay Leaves
3 Cups Water
¼ Cup Chicken Stock

PREPARATION
In a pot add water, add some salt and a drizzle of oil. Once it starts boiling add the spaghetti. Cover and cook till soft, then drain and set aside.
Add some vegetable oil to a pot, allow to heat up then add chopped Onions, Ginger and some chopped Green Bell Pepper for a minute.
In a bowl, mix 1/4 cup water with tomato paste then pour into the pot. Add salt and seasoning cube to taste. Stir frequently to prevent it from burning and continue till the oil separates-taste it, it should not taste sour anymore.
In another pan, heat up about 2 Tablespoons of oil, onions and green bell pepper, then add the minced beef and fry till the beef goes from pink to brown. Add the fried minced beef into the tomato sauce and stir together. Add ¼ Cup Chicken stock, bay leaf, garlic, paprika, and thyme. Add the spaghetti that was set aside earlier and combine well with sauce.
In a separate pan, saute onions and fresh sliced tomatoes. Add a pinch of salt. Allow to fry till it is cooked, add this to the spaghetti, combine properly and it is ready to eat.

BASMATI JOLLOF RICE

It is easy to cook Basmati Rice wrong, that is because of the rice itself-Basmati Rice does not need a lot of water to cook and once you nail it, it would become an everyday favourite.

INGREDIENTS
10 Tomatoes
4 Scotch Bonnet
2 Tatashe
3 Onions (1 Chopped, 2 Blended with Tomatoes)
1 Table Spoon Tin Tomatoes
1 Teaspoon Ginger (Chopped)
1 Teaspoon Garlic (Chopped)
2 Cups Basmati Rice
1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 Teaspoon Butter
1 Teaspoon Thyme
1 Teaspoon Curry
Seasoning to taste
Salt to taste
3 Bay leaves
2 Cups Water
1 Cup Chicken stock

PREPARATION
Blend Tomatoes, Pepper, Onions, Ginger, Garlic and boil till all the water is gone.
Heat up a pan, and add vegetable oil. When it is hot, add onions, curry, thyme, bay leaves, seasoning and fry for 1 minute.
Add boiled tomato/pepper mixture to the oil, add 1 spoon of tin tomatoes and fry for 15 minutes. Taste to see if it is cooked.
Add water and chicken stock, then add already washed basmati rice. Stir together.
Cover the pot with foil paper and then pot cover, then reduce the heat. What you need is the heat to cook the rice not water.
Allow cook for 30 minutes or till soft.
Now add butter and sliced fresh tomatoes, mix together and steam for 5 minutes.

https://guardian.ng/features/food-and-drinks/world-jollof-day-2018-three-fun-recipes-to-try/

The first and second, is the native jollof rice, with smoked fish or popularly referred to as Igbo Jollof. Healthy and nutritious but most people won't like it because of the palm oil taste.

The third pix is the normal party jollof rice.

3 Likes

Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by BlackKenichi(m): 3:40pm On Aug 12, 2018
Jamaican Curry Goat and Rice >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jollof Rice!
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by DONFRANSKID(m): 3:53pm On Aug 12, 2018
AnikeAyaOba:
Delicious...my best food!!! love party jollof
���me too

1 Like

Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by salford1: 4:25pm On Aug 12, 2018
Nigerians can't cook anything basmati at all.
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by sweetilicious(f): 5:07pm On Aug 12, 2018
luminouz:

Even on a Sunday shocked
Where is the love kiss
Iffa don't taste that fried rice,my God will judge u... cry
Your God? Well,if he is not the Almighty God,the creator of the Universe that I know,then bye bye.
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by Nobody: 5:23pm On Aug 12, 2018
DELICIOUS
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by luminouz(m): 5:24pm On Aug 12, 2018
sweetilicious:
Your God? Well,if he is not the Almighty God,the creator of the Universe that I know,then bye bye.
He's the one naaa!!!!
C'mon! Be ur broda's keeper babe....I need me some home meals...invite me over,aiit?? tongue grin grin
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by Sarang(f): 5:33pm On Aug 12, 2018
mamawin:
which one is Tumankasa? Kanuri delicacy or which tribe?

Lol all the way from Congo Kinshasa
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by ritmek(f): 5:47pm On Aug 12, 2018
nnadychuks:
Pepper is the only ingredient that makes jollof delicious. That burning jollof with cold Fanta or sprite on a Sunday afternoon is what everyone needs now cheesy
what type of punishment food is that
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by mamawin(f): 7:58pm On Aug 12, 2018
Sarang:

Lol all the way from Congo Kinshasa
Haaa! How do you prepare that now? Let me try it
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by sweetilicious(f): 9:00pm On Aug 12, 2018
luminouz:

He's the one naaa!!!!
C'mon! Be ur broda's keeper babe....I need me some home meals...invite me over,aiit?? tongue grin grin
My boyfriend is a macho.Except you can take being locked up inside the boot.
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by luminouz(m): 9:04pm On Aug 12, 2018
sweetilicious:
My boyfriend is a macho.Except you can take being locked up inside the boot.
Lmaoooo.....
U should see me babe...
I kinda pity him...cus he goan be the one doing driver/bodyguard duties while u make that scintillating rice n I rub ur back afterwards!!! grin
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by luminouz(m): 9:12pm On Aug 12, 2018
ritmek:
That was exactly what u cooked for me..dat made u dump ya ass!!!!!

It was hell that day for me...even to poo...I hadda carry my OX Fan to the toilet...
U wicked gan cry cry cry
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by Sarang(f): 9:37pm On Aug 12, 2018
mamawin:
Haaa! How do you prepare that now? Let me try it

Nah so.. I am just kidding nah
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by nnadychuks(m): 10:31pm On Aug 12, 2018
ritmek:
it's not punishment female. Did u know that burnt jollof tastes better than the normal ones? cheesy wink
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by Nobody: 3:11am On Aug 13, 2018
TThis ones go purge me.
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by mamawin(f): 10:55am On Aug 13, 2018
Sarang:

Nah so.. I am just kidding nah
lol
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by yomislim: 11:49am On Aug 13, 2018
Iceman2017:
Don't just type the ingredients as if its women ashebi cloths. Which one is scotch bonnet?
Abeg write the local name abeg shocked shocked grin
yoruba call it ata rodoo, the normal pepper use to make stew.
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by Iceman2017(m): 11:58am On Aug 13, 2018
dayleke:

Chai!!!
Abi I don enter "one Shans " ni?

Na dat small green/red pepper that is really hot.
I no sabi the Igbo name sha.
But no be tatase(bell pepper) sha o.

If you handle/touch the scotch bonnet, PLEASE DO NOT touch ur lil man down there or na gbege be dat.
Thanks so much shaa... But the way they give baptismal name to all the ingredients is somehow.
Re: World Jollof Day 2018: Three Fun Recipes To Try by AlphaJazz: 4:55pm On Feb 02
HungerBAD:
By Yemisi Odusanya, Contributor

In honour of the forthcoming World Jollof Rice Day which is now celebrated annually on the 22nd of August, here are some Jollof recipes and techniques that you would love: Native Jollof Rice, Jollof Spaghetti and Basmati Jollof Rice.

NATIVE JOLLOF RICE

Not many know about Native Jollof rice and few have tasted it. This Native Jollof Rice will open your eyes to the possibilities of Jollof.

INGREDIENTS
2 cups Regular Rice
Chopped Ugu vegetable
Salt to taste
Seasoning to taste
1 Medium sized Onion
2 Fresh yellow peppers
1/4 cup Smoked Big Prawn
1 Cup Ponmo cut in pieces
1 Tablespoon Ground Crayfish
10 plum tomatoes, 2 habanero pepper, 1 onion mixture
1 big Smoked catfish, deboned
2 Chopped Paprika Chilli
1 Chopped Habanero Pepper
1/4 cup Palm Oil
1 Table Spoon Locust beans/Iru

PREPARATION
Parboil rice then roughly blend and boil pepper mixture (combination of tomato, pepper, and onion) till it is almost dry.
Heat up pot with palm oil, when it is hot add chopped onions, chopped peppers, locust beans, fry for 3 minutes.
Add roughly blended tomato mix, add crayfish, chopped ponmo, smoked catfish (in pieces) and smoked prawns, seasoning cube and salt. Allow this to fry till the oil floats to the top. Now add water, enough to cook the rice, then add the parboiled rice. Stir so that the ingredients will go around, then cover and allow to cook for 20 minutes/till rice is cooked.

JOLLOF SPAGHETTI

Jollof Spaghetti is almost as common as Jollof Rice and there are so many methods for making it. Here’s one recipe you will use over and over again.

INGREDIENTS
1 500g Pack Spaghetti
1 Medium Tin Tomato
0.45kg Minced Beef
2 Medium sized Onions Chopped
I Medium Sized Green Bell Pepper Chopped
6 Big Tomatoes Sliced
3 Scotch Bonnet Chopped
½ Cup Vegetable Oil
Salt to taste
Seasoning to taste
½ Teaspoon Paprika
1 Teaspoon Thyme
1 Tea spoon Ginger
3 Bay Leaves
3 Cups Water
¼ Cup Chicken Stock

PREPARATION
In a pot add water, add some salt and a drizzle of oil. Once it starts boiling add the spaghetti. Cover and cook till soft, then drain and set aside.
Add some vegetable oil to a pot, allow to heat up then add chopped Onions, Ginger and some chopped Green Bell Pepper for a minute.
In a bowl, mix 1/4 cup water with tomato paste then pour into the pot. Add salt and seasoning cube to taste. Stir frequently to prevent it from burning and continue till the oil separates-taste it, it should not taste sour anymore.
In another pan, heat up about 2 Tablespoons of oil, onions and green bell pepper, then add the minced beef and fry till the beef goes from pink to brown. Add the fried minced beef into the tomato sauce and stir together. Add ¼ Cup Chicken stock, bay leaf, garlic, paprika, and thyme. Add the spaghetti that was set aside earlier and combine well with sauce.
In a separate pan, saute onions and fresh sliced tomatoes. Add a pinch of salt. Allow to fry till it is cooked, add this to the spaghetti, combine properly and it is ready to eat.

BASMATI JOLLOF RICE

It is easy to cook Basmati Rice wrong, that is because of the rice itself-Basmati Rice does not need a lot of water to cook and once you nail it, it would become an everyday favourite.

INGREDIENTS
10 Tomatoes
4 Scotch Bonnet
2 Tatashe
3 Onions (1 Chopped, 2 Blended with Tomatoes)
1 Table Spoon Tin Tomatoes
1 Teaspoon Ginger (Chopped)
1 Teaspoon Garlic (Chopped)
2 Cups Basmati Rice
1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 Teaspoon Butter
1 Teaspoon Thyme
1 Teaspoon Curry
Seasoning to taste
Salt to taste
3 Bay leaves
2 Cups Water
1 Cup Chicken stock

PREPARATION
Blend Tomatoes, Pepper, Onions, Ginger, Garlic and boil till all the water is gone.
Heat up a pan, and add vegetable oil. When it is hot, add onions, curry, thyme, bay leaves, seasoning and fry for 1 minute.
Add boiled tomato/pepper mixture to the oil, add 1 spoon of tin tomatoes and fry for 15 minutes. Taste to see if it is cooked.
Add water and chicken stock, then add already washed basmati rice. Stir together.
Cover the pot with foil paper and then pot cover, then reduce the heat. What you need is the heat to cook the rice not water.
Allow cook for 30 minutes or till soft.
Now add butter and sliced fresh tomatoes, mix together and steam for 5 minutes.

https://guardian.ng/features/food-and-drinks/world-jollof-day-2018-three-fun-recipes-to-try/

Bump.

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bizarre: Rice Dish served with Condoms? [Pix] / Lady Burnt Noodles While Watching 'Zee World' (Photos) / A Nigerian Dad's Funny Advice To Baby Goes Viral (pic, video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.