Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,526 members, 7,826,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? (1179 Views)

Why Does Jesus Refer To Himself As "The Son Of Man"? / Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? / How To Answer The Question "Where Did Jesus Say, 'I Am God, Worship Me''? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by higherpower: 12:16pm On Aug 12, 2018
In trying to understand this, I have never seen a clear explanation to this gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. In the account of Matthew and Luke, who were those He was referring to as though will not taste of death till his kingdom comes? Let the theologians, Pastors in the house have a say

Matthew 16:28 "Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

Luke 9:27 says, "I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God."
Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by Shelumiel: 12:18pm On Aug 12, 2018
higherpower:
In trying to understand this, I have never seen a clear explanation to this gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. In the account of Matthew and Luke, who were those He was referring to as though will not taste of death till his kingdom comes? Let the theologians, Pastors in the house have a say

Matthew 16:28 "Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

Luke 9:27 says, "I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God."
It could be John the beloved .
Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by higherpower: 12:19pm On Aug 12, 2018
Shelumiel:
It could be John the beloved .
Didn't they taste of dead?
Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by Shelumiel: 12:20pm On Aug 12, 2018
higherpower:

Didn't they taste of dead?
There is no account of John the beloved dying or being martyred .
Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by eddy1977(m): 12:26pm On Aug 12, 2018
He was referring to that generation. Indeed most of them saw him coming in judgment against Israel in A.D 70.

When Jesus spoke of the Son of man coming in the clouds (kingdom), He was using prophetic idioms of Old Testament prophets. We don't understand that kind of language because we live 20 centuries after the resurrection of Christ. But the Jews of 20 centuries ago understood him clearly.
Daniel, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Zephaniah etc...used that language in their writtings.

John used the same idioms in his apocalyptic book: Rev 1:7.
Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by orisa37: 2:17pm On Aug 12, 2018
Those like Peter, James, John and Paul who are not dead but are in Eternity Now.
I shall make Heaven in Jesus Name Amen!!!

1 Like

Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by CodeTemplar: 2:38pm On Aug 12, 2018
orisa37:
Those like Peter, James, John and Paul who are not dead but are in Eternity Now.
Spiritual death it is. In Genesis 20 Abimelec died after taking Abraham's wife but was still breathing. His wives became barren by reason of his death (spiritual) but he was still breathing.
Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Aug 12, 2018
Shelumiel:
There is no account of John the beloved dying or being martyred .
Do you imply He is still alive?

3 Likes

Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by Shelumiel: 3:27pm On Aug 12, 2018
LoJ:

Do you imply He is still alive?
He maybe ; because there is no account of him being killed or dying at a good old age .
Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Aug 12, 2018
Shelumiel:
He maybe ; because there is no account of him being killed or dying at a good old age .
Most of New testament characters have no account of being killed or dying. Whether Peter Paul Nathaniel Thomas etc.

So they all maybe alive right?
Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by Shelumiel: 3:43pm On Aug 12, 2018
LoJ:

Most of New testament characters have no account of being killed or dying. Whether Peter Paul Nathaniel Thomas etc.

So they all maybe alive right?
Stop saying what you have no knowlegde of .Peter and Paul were killed . The scriptures give hints into the way and manner they were killed .
Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Aug 12, 2018
Shelumiel:
Stop saying what you have no knowlegde of .Peter and Paul were killed . The scriptures give hints into the way and manner they were killed .
Kindly povide the verses. How do you know I have no knowledge about this?
What about Mathew Luke Philip Thomas, and the many followers and disciples of Jesus whose death is not mentioned?
Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by higherpower: 3:49pm On Aug 12, 2018
orisa37:

Amen. But wasn't he talking about physical death?
Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by Shelumiel: 3:51pm On Aug 12, 2018
LoJ:

Kindly povide the verses. How do you know I have no knowledge about this?
What about Mathew Luke Philip Thomas, and the many followers and disciples of Jesus whose death is not mentioned?
Then why did you mention Peter and Paul ? undecided
Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by higherpower: 3:52pm On Aug 12, 2018
Shelumiel:

Like Adolf Hitler with no account of death, do you say he's still alive?
Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Aug 12, 2018
Shelumiel:
Then why did you mention Peter and Paul ? undecided
Because their deaths and that of many more was not recorded in the Bible, just as the death ofJohn.
And you argued that since the death of John is not recorded in the Bible, then he maybe alive.

While facing a mistake, acknowledge the mistake and move on, instead of trying to save face and worsen the situation.
Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by Shelumiel: 3:55pm On Aug 12, 2018
higherpower:

Like Adolf Hitler with no account of death, do you say he's still alive?
You are talking OP. How does Hitler fit in to this discussion. ..
Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by Shelumiel: 3:58pm On Aug 12, 2018
LoJ:

Because their deaths and that of many more was not recorded in the Bible, just as the death ofJohn.
And you argued that since the death of John is not recorded in the Bible, then he maybe alive.

While facing a mistake, acknowledge the mistake and move on, instead of trying to save face and worsen the situation.
Read my post and stop being foolish . Did I say the the bible mentioned their deaths directly ? I remember saying "hints"
Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by Shelumiel: 3:59pm On Aug 12, 2018
The Bible does not say how the apostle Paul died. Writing in 2 Timothy 4:6–8, Paul seems to be anticipating his soon demise: “For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.” This is the hint I am referring to
Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by Shelumiel: 4:00pm On Aug 12, 2018
Shelumiel:
Read my post and stop being foolish . Did I say the the bible mentioned their deaths directly ? I remember saying "hints"
The Bible does not say how the apostle Paul died. Writing in 2 Timothy 4:6–8, Paul seems to be anticipating his soon demise: “For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.” This is the hint I was referring of
Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Aug 12, 2018
Shelumiel:
You are so silly that you don't even see that you are silly. Let me come again, slowly this time. Perhaps you will be able to assimilate better.

- you said John the apostle is possibly alive because the Bible does not mention his death

- I asked you what about Peter Paul Matthew Luke Philip Thomas Nathanieland the numerous other Bible characters whose death is not mentioned in the Bible. Are they possibly alive too?

- you said im an ignorant the Bible gives hintS that Peter AND Paul died.

- I asked you to provide the verseS. And I added what about the others?

If you fail to see that not only it does not answer the question since I spoke about way more people not only Peter and Paul, and even the claim of hints you are talking about are largely false.

The only hint you can talk about is the Saying of Jesus about Peter being old and going where he will not want. There is no such about Paul, and even if there were, it does not solve the problem, since there are still thousand of disciples whose death is not recorded.

So if you believe John is alive after 2000 years, just because his death is not recorded in the Bible, why don't you believe same for Luke or Philip orThomas?

Now if you still can't understand then you are a lost case.
Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by higherpower: 5:49pm On Aug 12, 2018
Shelumiel:
You are talking OP. How does Hitler fit in to this discussion. ..
He said there was no record of death
Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by Shelumiel: 6:40pm On Aug 12, 2018
LoJ:

You are so silly that you don't even see that you are silly. Let me come again, slowly this time. Perhaps you will be able to assimilate better.

- you said John the apostle is possibly alive because the Bible does not mention his death

- I asked you what about Peter Paul Matthew Luke Philip Thomas Nathanieland the numerous other Bible characters whose death is not mentioned in the Bible. Are they possibly alive too?

If you fail to see that not only it does not answer the question since I spoke about way more people not only Peter and Paul, and even the claim of hints you are talking about are largely false.

The only hint you can talk about is the Saying of Jesus about Peter being old and going where he will not want. There is no such about Paul, and even if there were, it does not solve the problem, since there are still thousand of disciples whose death is not recorded.

So if you believe John is alive after 2000 years, just because his death is not recorded in the Bible, why don't you believe same for Luke or Philip orThomas?

A fool will always believe in his own propaganda. I quoted a verse . Please read it and stop displaying stupidity .
Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by Shelumiel: 6:41pm On Aug 12, 2018
LoJ:

Secondly , the topic is about John ; not Peter, not Thomas ...or Nathaniel. So why not be sensible and stick to the topic .
Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by Shelumiel: 6:43pm On Aug 12, 2018
higherpower:

He said there was no record of death
Read the thread to understand the argument
Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Aug 12, 2018
Shelumiel:
Secondly , the topic is about John ; not Peter, not Thomas ...or Nathaniel. So why not be sensible and stick to the topic .
Which topic is about John? Where is it written that it's about John?

1 Like

Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Aug 12, 2018
Shelumiel:
Read the thread to understand the argument
Just as I guessed you are a lost case. Good day sir
Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by orisa37: 5:23am On Aug 13, 2018
higherpower:

Amen. But wasn't he talking about physical death?

He suffered Death and was buried. Now Jesus lives !!!
Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by higherpower: 8:45am On Aug 13, 2018
At the end, no good and reliable answer. Some even came to quarrel. Na wow Church goers and Choir masters n Pastors. Isokay!!! I will keep searching

1 Like

Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by Ayatullah(m): 12:42am On Aug 21, 2018
higherpower:
At the end, no good and reliable answer. Some even came to quarrel. Na wow Church goers and Choir masters n Pastors. Isokay!!! I will keep searching

My dear brother you will never find an answer to this question, just as you will not find answer to what happened eventually to those who were said to have ressurected from the sepulchre in the bible (Mathew 27:51-53) and visited their people: Do they go back to the sepulchre or live with their people and die again?

For the sincere Christian searcher there are lots of observed confusion and errors in the bible, but some christians are willing to have ready answers to everything no matter how unreasonable their submission is. I don't blame such people, because I have tread this path before as a Christian until the Almighty God guided me to the English Qur'an which explains the secret of this world and the hereafter and the truth about God and Jesus the son of Mary.

I advise you to pick up a copy of the holy Qur'an in English and read it with an open mind, I assure you, you will find satisfactory answers to your questions about God, beloved Jesus and the mystery of this world and the hereafter.

Good luck brother.
Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by Kcgeology: 1:27am On Aug 21, 2018
apostle john. He was priviledged to behold Christ in His glory in his account of revelation.
Re: Who Did Jesus Refer To Here That Will Not Taste Of Death? by Nobody: 9:11am On Aug 21, 2018
Shelumiel:

So of there's no account of someone's death, Then the person is still alive

(1) (2) (Reply)

Best Of Eben Praise Worship Songs 2019 | African Gospel Song / The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy / Pastor Quits Being A Christian After Not Witnessing Anything Supernatural

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.