Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,668 members, 7,827,453 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:13 PM

Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie (6163 Views)

Poll: Was Amodu's sack a mistake?

Yes: 40% (23 votes)
No: 59% (34 votes)
This poll has ended

Police Take Over Headquarters Of NFF Following Court Order Sacking Amaju Pinnick / Odemwingie Still Wants To Play For Nigeria / West Bromwich Coach Roy Hodgson Blasts Odemwingie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by wizsultan: 12:54pm On Jun 23, 2010
12large:

Sacking Amodu was a mistake - Odemwingie
Posted: 2010-06-23 07:28

In a surprise turn-around, Osaze Odemwingie has said that it was a mistake to fire Shuaibu Amodu and replace him with Lars Lagerback.

Odemwingie was one of the players who spoke up against Amodu at the African Nations Cup in Angola, leading to the axing of the former BCC Lions coach.

But after a disastrous World Cup where Nigeria finished bottom of a winnable group with just one point out of nine, the Lokomotiv Moscow forward told KickOffNigeria.com that it was a mistake to fire Amodu.

"They should not have fired Amodu. I think that was a mistake," he said.

Odewmingie went on to say that[b] Nigeria did not have a team good enough to challenge the best.
[/b]
"To be honest, we don't have the team that can win the World Cup. If you go down to the roots, most of us, including myself, in our clubs we are not doing great.

"We are not like the big team we used to be, having players in the big clubs and coming here with the ambition to win the Cup. But definitely we could have done much better."

Odemwingie also criticised coach Lars Lagerback's selection and tactics, but says if the coach can learn from his mistakes, he would do better with the Super Eagles.

"I think the World Cup experience and being with us has given him some advantage over the next candidate.

"People learn from mistakes. If he takes the positives from this one and he feels good with working with Nigerian boys then yes, I think he should stay."

pls leave osaze alone o!!! and face ur kaita and yakubu
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by tkb417(m): 1:01pm On Jun 23, 2010
so he wanted to play by force

hehehe
thts why d doofus didnt make that pass against Argentina

if na me be coach, if den no sack me, thats the end of his career in SE
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by OvieE: 1:40pm On Jun 23, 2010
This world has showed how useless odemwingie really is. I once rated this guy Nigeria best player but I was wrong big time. Before the world cup, he promised to live something for everyone to remember him as one of the best player in Nigeria like Oliseh goal against Spain in France 98 and Rachidi Yekini scoring Nigeria ever first goal in world cup at US 94 and other Nigeria players who have done well for the country. The only thing I will remember Odemwingie for is that he is a useless player, selfish, self center and one of the player who disappear from the field during matches. He can go player his remaining soccer life in cold Russia for all I care. No top club will call that guy. He is too selfish that will make a team to lose a game. I am glad that he will not make it to next world cup because he Will be grandpa my them. Useless player. Talk is cheap.
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by Reptyle(m): 2:16pm On Jun 23, 2010
Here I was wondering why Lagerback kept him on the bench. He is obviously one of those players who believe that without them, the team is nothing. He is obviously quite egotistic and undisciplined. Under Amodu, they probably always had their way dictating who plays and who doesn't play in the team. I guess under Lagerback, they lost all that and were required to prove their worth or lose their shirts. I hope he retracts this statement and gets back on track before its too late for him.
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by hackney(m): 2:29pm On Jun 23, 2010
Amodu is a nigerian living in nigeria so he is CORRUPT ; simple whether you like it or not.
People home are actually seen as st.u.pi.d if they dont make a lot of money from a position so Nigerian=bribery & corruption.
He would be collecting small small pounds to field the foreign garbage.

We need to get a vibrant coach like Westerhoff of the old days who is white (therefore less likely to
collect small shameless change in the name of bribe to field idiots),
and also give him time to draw up his own team from start to finish from foreign and domestic clubs.

Not this lagerback that is cold like a scrotal sack.
That way the people that support super chickens will have some hope.
(i dont by the way but im hoping that in a country that large, someone who has the intelligence of at least
a 6yr old will be in a position of decision-making)
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by bawomolo(m): 2:35pm On Jun 23, 2010
the only reason osaze is saying this is because he was benched.

what a selfish ignoramus.
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by OvieE: 2:55pm On Jun 23, 2010
bawomolo:

the only reason osaze is saying this is because he was benched.

what a selfish ignoramus.

And I hope they will continue to bench him until he learns how to play a team games. Nigeria only have an average player.
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by Spyker: 3:03pm On Jun 23, 2010
Osaze is talking from both sides of the mouth. I am highly disappointed in him.
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by Onlytruth(m): 3:16pm On Jun 23, 2010
In fact I am now more convinced that Lagerback should be retained as Eagles coach and allowed to build his own team.
People like Osaze have since overstayed their welcome in the Super Eagles. Even if we do not  renew Lagerbacks contract, we should replace him with another white coach who would even be more intolerant of these poorly skilled players who think they are God. We need a coach who can bench bad players or kick them out of the Super Eagles.

Lagerback should stay to form his own team.
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jun 23, 2010
hackney:

We need to get a vibrant coach like Westerhoff of the old days who is white (therefore less likely to
collect small shameless change in the name of bribe to field idiots),

Westerhoff has been in nigeria for some time now, dont you think he has been infected with corruption bug.
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by 190: 4:19pm On Jun 23, 2010
up super

Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by Abuse: 4:27pm On Jun 23, 2010
All the NFF officials should go and beg AMODU SHUIABU with his entitlements and a white goat failure which means that they will continue to fail like the power sector.This means that the nations football is on the verge of collapse.
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by supereagle(m): 4:29pm On Jun 23, 2010
Ozase would soon lose his fan base when Amodu was there, he would criticize his formation , that a white coach will improve their lot, a white coach came , he was benched, he started talking rubbish. He went to SA with the intention of scoring, but alas the dreamed failed , he is weeping. With Amodu, he would have enough playing time.

http://stopsmokingblueprints..com/
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jun 23, 2010
Ooosaze! Woo hin?  
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by rickie4us(m): 4:42pm On Jun 23, 2010
[size=18pt]Are you sure he really made those statements?
I want to give him the benefit of doubt. You know how these journalists can misinterpret what someone is saying sometimes.
I am a fan of Osaze. He has been a great footballer. I only hope that he ends well.[/size]
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by dayokanu(m): 4:56pm On Jun 23, 2010
Osaze is throwing tantrums because he was benched LOL
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by 9jafreak: 5:11pm On Jun 23, 2010
[size=13pt]Osaze, like Rooney, Torres, Drogba, etc came into this tournament looking worn-out and almost incongrous!

Shut your mouth boy and look to the future,
[/size]
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by deb(m): 5:16pm On Jun 23, 2010
I don't like people who talk with the two sides of their mouth.
That was a dissapointing statement in my opinion from Osaze.
It is clear that the lack of a guaranteed shirt under Largs is his problem. Really that is the way it should be if we want our team
to be competitive. He should shut his dirty mouth up!
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by bawomolo(m): 5:33pm On Jun 23, 2010
the team is about to disbanded anyway. he can cry a river far away in moscow. no more egoistic players
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by davidif: 5:45pm On Jun 23, 2010
WHAT A POLITICIAN!!! HE SPEAKS FROM BOTH SIDES OF HIS MOUTH.
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by sley4life(m): 5:59pm On Jun 23, 2010
Odemwingie spks from both side of the mouth. He should hold his peace and focus on his club career. He will be too old for the next world cup.
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by naso2(m): 6:01pm On Jun 23, 2010
This useless Osaze that can not manage a little light, he thinks he is so important that he directs everyone on coach selection.

He is one of the main reasons why siasia was not chosen to coach SE. After the olympics where he saw that siasia does not have respect for big names, he openly counselled the NFF that having been a member in siasia's team, he knows that SIA1 is very intelligent as a coach, but not matured enough to coach the eagles.

After the loss to Ghana at the ANC he made statements that led to Amodu's sack, from the first training with lagerback, he said "OYINBO NA OYINBO" meaning lagerback came with a special touch. Now that he was rightly made to remain on the bench for his poor showing, not only in the friendlies but the competition proper, he is now talking nonsense.

For me, we have seen Eguavon, Amokachi and Chukwu before so there is nothing new this bunch can offer. We either retain lagerback or hand this team to Siasia to be assisted by Oliseh. I can assure that we will laugh again.
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by sley4life(m): 6:04pm On Jun 23, 2010
Firing Amodu was not a mistake. We might have been beaten by a basketful of goals
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by montelik(m): 6:10pm On Jun 23, 2010
sley4life:

Firing Amodu was not a mistake. We might have been beaten by a basketful of goals
Really that is your justification. Might shocked
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by sparkle10(m): 6:11pm On Jun 23, 2010
[This same guy complained that AMODU tactics was rubbish in the cup of nations, a criticism that lend credence to AMODU's sack. How come he is now complaining that sacking AMODU was a mistake. He is a greedy player who likes to immitate the likes of CRISTIANO RONALDO, and playing with his head looking down always.He is overated in the eagles. To me, the EAGLES are not good players. Just fringe players blocking the chance of other better players. If the under 21 youth team played this tournament in placed of the so called super eagles, they wld ve given a better representation. Look at YAKUBU AYEGBENI, he was just running about doing nothing but to break Nigerians heart yesterday.Haruna lukman shd be the only person taken from this crop of unintelligent players and the rest disbanded immediately]

You guys should grow up and understand Osaze's view point. He complained about Amodu because he believed Nigeria was good enough to get a better coach. Largerbeer was definitely not the kind of coach he imagined but a coach who has what it takes to use the opportunity of the WC to lay a foundation for the future.

With benefit of hindsight  I agree we should have stayed put with Amodu. Compare statistics for the period Amodu was in charge with the dismal failure by this Oyibo despite so much money invested. With Amodu, we would have lost nothing.

Largerbeer would have been vindicated if he had been courageous enough to expose our younger players to the world cup. If nothing else, we would have taken solace in the fact that he went with young inexperienced but trainable boys and laid good foundation for the future. But now, he's an investment down the drain. Ghana did it and we can see the result![quote][/quote]
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by babybos(m): 6:18pm On Jun 23, 2010
HIS SELECTION (ODEMWINGIE) AS NIGERIAN PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2009 HAVE ENTERED HIS HEAD THAT THE INTOXICATING IS STILL AFFECTING HIM.
THE BOY HAS STARTED DIGGING HIS FALL FROM THE SUPER EAGLE
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by ezan(m): 6:28pm On Jun 23, 2010
It's the human element, it's always the human element. . .look at France. Osaze-unfortunately-got his head messed up because he felt he'd been wronged by Lars Lagerback. Osaze is not being completely honest 'cause if he were he'd be criticizing players like Yakubu, Etuhu. . . .
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by semid4lyfe(m): 6:32pm On Jun 23, 2010
Osaze should shut the f.c#ck up and stop talking from both sides of his mouth.

Nonsense!
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by mrkoma2012: 8:33pm On Jun 23, 2010
most of the players should be retired by force
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by wale0700(m): 8:38pm On Jun 23, 2010
Why do i have d feeling that amodu would ve done a better job dan lars
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by JIY: 8:40pm On Jun 23, 2010
Odemwingie's criticism of Lagerback should be taken with a grain of salt.

This is the same player that was mutinous against Siasia during the Olympic campaign and the same player who openly criticized Amodu after the Nations Cup. And now he is attacking a third coach. Which coach will ever satisfy him then?

In fact, Odemwingie comes off as a spoiled brat. He doesn't seem to be respectful of others: remember his angry shout-down at Martins in the match between Nigeria and Argentina, all because Martins asked for the ball, which Odemwingie should have passed but didn't and so wasted a good looking opportunity?

Benching is good for a player who does not know how to be a good team player, who seems to think too highly of himself.

Nigeria is greater than any one individual player. He should have been decamped during the Olympic campaign.

But I suppose that since the only song Nigerians know to sing after unsuccessful football campaigns is "Sack the Coach," Odemwingie's mutinous comments will be music in their ears.

For a people who refuse to use their heads but are negatively reactionary, disaster will yet attend them. It doesn't take a seer to see that.
Re: Sacking Amodu Was A Mistake - Odemwingie by ajadudu: 8:48pm On Jun 23, 2010
Osaze should just STF up, when he played I did not see any great action from him except the selfish move against Argentina and him yelling at his teammates. I hope he is the first to get chopped by any new coach should Lagerback be fired. We need to build a new team around some of the younger elements we have and expose them to as many friendlies as we can get, it does not have to be an international friendly. One thing most of the teams in this WC lack is team work, individual stars like Messi we may not be able to produce, getting a great dynamic young team together is what we need.
Kanu was given his swan song, I hope he takes the cue and retires from international soccer now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

3 Sure Pool Draws Is Ready For This Week / 50 Football Facts You Probably Don't Know / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.