Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,113 members, 7,821,825 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:32 PM

Phd Or Medicine And Surgery - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Phd Or Medicine And Surgery (3842 Views)

Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? / Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? / OAU Medicine And Surgery Cut-off Mark 304 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by divinelove(m): 3:28pm On Aug 15, 2018
In Nigeria MBBS will be more lucrative than a PhD holder. The govt will treat a medical doctor better than a lecturer. The salary scale of medical doctors are superior to lecturers.

Let take for example a fresh PhD holder employed in a federal university as lecturer 2 earns a paltry 140k monthly but a fresh medical officer in a federal medical center will earn well over 250k.

As the PhD holder grows in academics and becomes a professor the highest he can earn is 500k n DTS is for senior professor (10yrs n above) where as a medical doctor who becomes a consultant earns up to 800k.

This is the Nigeria situation pay wise for MBBS n PhD on paper.

Now the reality

To get a job nawadays is difficult whether u have PhD or MBBS, so all in all even if u read Igbo language you can work in CBN or oil company and earn better than both MBBS n PhD. grin grin d most important thing now is your connection n d hand of God which will decide how successful you will be in life beyond your certificate.

Choose medicine because u love medicine and won't mind even if it take 3yrs to get u on housemanship upon graduation (heard competition for DT is tough now) or may be all u can get is 60k a month private clinic job angry. Reading medicine may not always turn to poverty alleviation for everyone as most ppl believe.

3 Likes

Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by Das77herbal: 3:47pm On Aug 15, 2018
cynthie140:
medicine has always been my dream right from childhood. I was scared of jamb cut-off points for the course at the last minute(I was really young) so I changed my mind and put human anatomy. with the plan to do medicine after. fast forward to the after. I graduated with a 2.1 and applied for DE and I wasn't given because I was told it's not about Grade anymore but who you know so I applied for M.Sc. now I'd soon be done and I don't know what to do. I know doctors struggle too, but it's lesser than other fields. also I'm looking at the duration...but I really want to get it.
if anyone knows the vice Chancellor or registrar of the university of Calabar, please hook me up mbok.
You cannot be struggling with indecision as a doctor or surgeon. Thanks.
Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by Nobody: 3:50pm On Aug 15, 2018
Das77herbal:
You cannot be struggling with indecision as a doctor or surgeon. Thanks.
please, where in the post was it mentioned that I'm indecisive? ?

1 Like

Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by AgentGoat: 4:30pm On Aug 15, 2018
peacesamuel94:
when I graduate, i hope to earn a Ph.d in Neuroanatomy. Your question might be single but its answers are diverse and their authenticity only depend on what you deem fit enough to call "fulfilling". The people advising you to pick MBBS over a PhD can only speak from the viewpoint of what they personally prefer(including me).
You should be asking yourself if you're passionate enough to invest time... to sacrifice your youth for the pursuit of med/surg. Question the intent behind your hunger, is it for passion or money, the answer lies there.

For me, I chose a PhD over an MBBS because, I'ld rather participate in the creation of knowledge than the execution of knowledge, i'ld also like to point out that apart from the Hospital environment, the MBBS holder is never above a PhD holder. In the University a PhD holder is like a demigod, unlike the MBBS holder who sometimes go through a Masters program before they can teach.
Even outside the Health Sphere, A PhD automatically places you in the league of those eligible enough to occupy managerial positions.

Lastly a PhD, will take a shorter period of time to attain for you, especially if done outside the country. whereas before you become a certified consultant it will take another 6 to 7 Years after graduation. So think well, I emphasize again that I speak from my point of view as others have done, and only your decision will stand in the end.

Nice point
Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by Jman06(m): 5:09pm On Aug 15, 2018
cynthie140:

is it possible to get two DE forms for different universities?
No. Multiple registration is not allowed.
Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by WavesOfGlory(m): 6:32pm On Aug 15, 2018
cynthie140:

is it possible to get two DE forms for different universities?

Ops what are u do scared of? Don't u know u have a sound mind?

First u don't do Medicine cos u are afraid of JAMB cut off. Hence ur long route through Anatomy.

Next u don't know which way to go, so u bring ur problems here hoping someone will help u with a decision about u- no wahala, good people will try to help.
Lastly, u are not sure u will make d DE in one skool, hence ur thinking of different skools. Ahn. .. ahn. ..!!!

In life u need to make hard choices and forget alternatives. Simple.

Goodluck.

1 Like

Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by Nobody: 7:45pm On Aug 15, 2018
OP go and do Nursing in a school of Nursing for 3yrs and leave naija, go abroad and make plenty money naija is screwed big time.

Don't criticize me am just saying my mind, talk your own!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by Sparkles001: 12:36am On Aug 16, 2018
Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by Gweedorian(m): 2:11am On Aug 26, 2018
Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by Sparkles001: 4:38am On Aug 26, 2018
Gweedorian:

Good evening. Did you apply for NLNG Scholarship for Masters in Public Health? Please chat me up on WhatsApp 08087598841
Re: Phd Or Medicine And Surgery by mel2b(f): 6:47pm On Sep 13, 2019

how did you do that? the Ukraine thing? what are the requirements and like how much are the fees and total costs?
Please how you get your admission and I just want to double check some things so I wont be scammed. @sparkles001 +2348152355358 pls chat me up if you can. Thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

Meaning Of Yahoo Boy [picture] / Immanuel College High School,orita U.i.ibadan / Delta State Polytechnic Ozoro 2012/2013 Post Utme Form Now On Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.