Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,808 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:11 AM

One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? (3525 Views)

Does Selling Or Buying A Home Have To Be So Difficult? / Luxury 3bedroom Flat TO LET In Osapa London Lekki.1 Year Rent ONLY! / 3 And 2 Bedroom Clean Flats To Let At Kosofe Ketu 1 Year Rent Only! See Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by duno: 1:00pm On Jun 23, 2010
Dear NLs,

Just wondering, why is it so difficult to get a house/flat with one year rent? Nobody collects salary of one, two years in advance. Is it the owners that are so greedy or agents (who want to collect two years commission upfront)

Granted this is our present reality but when are things going to change for the better? who will lead the change? Can it ever change? Funny enough you see houses/flats advertised (even on NL) for months, not taken and still the owners/ agents will not collect one year rent.

Disheartening sad
Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by dominique(f): 1:53pm On Jun 23, 2010
poster i feel you. i don't know why landlords must insist on 2 years advance payment (even for apartments in the most remote and undesirable areas in Lagos). it's like a requirement for the landlord association or something undecided.
Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by nykee(f): 2:15pm On Jun 23, 2010
Infact they make life frustrating and govt should act to eradicate them in no time,  cos ppl are seek and tired of them.
Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by dobodobo(m): 6:54am On Jun 24, 2010
It is worst and worsen most in LAGOS STATE but I think government should try to put this under control.it is stupidity of Nigeria government not to take proper measures of reducing pressures on their citizen since even the money we work hard with belong to the government because when torn the government will not say you tear the money you work for,it is government money, the LAND belong to govt too because no body brings land from HEAVEN. the govt can make a law that no agent or landlord should collect more than 3 months,people will only complain for few days but we accept the law
Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by duno: 10:47am On Jun 24, 2010
link=topic=467741.msg6272364#msg6272364 date=1277358891]
It is worst and worsen most in LAGOS STATE but I think government should try to put this under control.it is stupidity of Nigeria government not to take proper measures of reducing pressures on their citizen since even the money we work hard with belong to the government because when torn the government will not say you tear the money you work for,it is government money, the LAND belong to govt too because no body brings land from HEAVEN. the govt can make a law that no agent or landlord should collect more than 3 months,people will only complain for few days but we accept the law
[quote][/quote]

I think so too but our government is made up of human beings. Some of them are probably profiting from the present situation. Some months back the issue was raised in the Lagos State House of Assembly, but what has come of it I have now realized that apart from luck (or favour) it is practicably impossible to get a year rent in Lagos. Where u do get, you can be sure that there is something wrong(e.g no water, huge nepa bill, remote area, not secure etc) with the house.
Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by duno: 11:13am On Jun 24, 2010
people go through hell to pack the 2years rent and give to the inconsiderate landlords.many borrow,steal,beg,to gather this money and afterwards live in penury in those apartment because we have government that are not sensitive to the plight of their citizens.may God help us all
Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by shevalync: 12:19pm On Jun 24, 2010
duno:

people go through hell to pack the 2years rent and give to the inconsiderate landlords.many borrow,steal,beg,to gather this money and afterwards live in penury in those apartment because we have government that are not sensitive to the plight of their citizens.may God help us all
Amen!
Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by item: 12:22pm On Jun 24, 2010
Well, just checking!
Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by Acidosis(m): 12:29pm On Jun 24, 2010
The Owner Of This Building Is Demanding For 5yrs Advance Payment

Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by legba1(m): 1:03pm On Jun 24, 2010
What do you expect from a failed state like our own.you better pray and work hard.the same govement u dey talk about no own most of the houses?Govergnment agents and officials own thos houses you are talking about.we heard of a proposed bill for lagos housing,but since then have you heard anything about it again?they are in charge and it will affect their business.Only God can help us.
Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by Ultrame(m): 1:25pm On Jun 24, 2010
dobodobo:

You should come to abuja, my friend.
Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by Acidosis(m): 1:33pm On Jun 24, 2010
Ultrame:

Ultrame:

Even in Villages
Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by falady: 1:41pm On Jun 24, 2010
At times the house is not even good and they still want to collect 2years rent with lots of commission.We need government to build more houses so that people will have alternative to this rubish.
Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by suggyspic: 1:48pm On Jun 24, 2010
Been a tenant is an experience. I own a house and i collect one year Rent. i decised to collect one yr rent because i understand the situation pple find themselve when looking for house. The irony of the whole issue is that. my tenants whom i collect one year rent finds it so difficult to even pay their rent. most landlord decide to collect 2yrs rent cos they don,t want to ask the tenants for rent after yr one which gives the tenant enough time to safe towards their rent. what is uppermost is living in a nice and peaceful environment.
Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by omega25red(m): 1:59pm On Jun 24, 2010
well definately the government is to blame because as a landlord would you want to be chasing after a tenant every month for rent money? Im not sure what the job situation is in nigeria but from what i have read here on NL it seems bad. As a landlord it will be economical to you to get the money upfront so that if the person loose their job they will not become a liabilty. In the western countries you should see what landlords have to deal with. when someone cant pay rent, they have to go to court to ask that the person leave and if the judge says no, that landlord would have to just grine and bear it.

anyway blame the govt for not creating and maintaining jobs and helping businesses to grow which in turn will create more jobs and allow people to have a steady income which in turn would ease the minds of the landlords and they wouldn't have to charge money in advance.
Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by dobodobo(m): 2:03pm On Jun 24, 2010
falady:

At times the house is not even good and they still want to collect 2years rent with lots of commission.We need government to build more houses so that people will have alternative to this rubish.
This is a means of landlord stopping people from achieving aims and plans.the olden days people clamed they only paid rent for a month and move in,how come stupid new days where people who suppose invest money for future purpose will be putting in 2 yrs rent, before they gather another together,two years will be complete and landlord will be demanding for straight one year payment again. in the olden, you can get a shop,get a house and set yourself up and start making a living without pressure from lack of unemployement

example. if you paid a rent of 3000,paid shop of 5000, set the shop up with 80,000 .that how ir was done in the olden,then you will be free from pressure from Nigeria embezzlement corruption lifelines  stupid and nonsense government who forget they will one day die and be burred with just 4 by 6 feet grounds
Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by Orikinla(m): 2:09pm On Jun 24, 2010
Most of the estate agents (including my brother) and landords in Lagos are GREEDY.
Only my buddy who an educated young landlord gives out his 3 bedroom bungalows  for N700, 000 a year and you can pay for only one year.

On Bonny Island in Rivers state, you can pay for only one year. And with regular power and water supply too.

I am going to stop all the nonsense in real estate in Lagos.
I am going to disgrace the greedy agents and landlords from 2011.
THEY ARE DEMONS AMONG HUMANS.
Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by dobodobo(m): 2:12pm On Jun 24, 2010
Nigeria is like a blind man leading the blind, people supporting the landlord are enemies of Nigerians and architect of their country failure, that's why super chickens never succeed in world cup because the country has been caused by Nigerians and now the useless government are wanting to spend 10 billion on PARTY and saying they have no money for electricity.

Who defined government as nonsense control to the people by the people for the people not knowing that government are set of group of thugs who collaborate as a means to steal from the people using power of money and fame they have through rigging of fake election as a means of deceiving the already known nation
Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by duno: 2:33pm On Jun 24, 2010
suggyspic:

Been a tenant is an experience. I own a house and i collect one year Rent. i decised to collect one yr rent because i understand the situation pple find themselve when looking for house. The irony of the whole issue is that. my tenants whom i collect one year rent finds it so difficult to even pay their rent. most landlord decide to collect 2yrs rent cos they don,t want to ask the tenants for rent after yr one which gives the tenant enough time to safe towards their rent. what is uppermost is living in a nice and peaceful environment.

Collecting one year rent from your tenants is a good thing and laudable. As the adage goes, if you set a period of 10 years, one day the 10 years go reach. So even if a landlord collects 2 yrs rent there will still come a time when d rent will be due, what happens then? does paying 2 years in advance guarantee that the tenant will be able to renew the rent?

omega25red:

well definately the government is to blame because as a landlord would you want to be chasing after a tenant every month for rent money? Im not sure what the job situation is in nigerihttp://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?action=post;topic=467741.0;num_replies=17#topa but from what i have read here on NL it seems bad. As a landlord it will be economical to you to get the money upfront so that if the person loose their job they will not become a liabilty. In the western countries you should see what landlords have to deal with. when someone cant pay rent, they have to go to court to ask that the person leave and if the judge says no, that landlord would have to just grine and bear it.

anyway blame the govt for not creating and maintaining jobs and helping businesses to grow which in turn will create more jobs and allow people to have a steady income which in turn would ease the minds of the landlords and they wouldn't have to charge money in advance.

Job stability? loss of job? do all tenants lose their jobs within the tenancy period? Can such issues be predicted? what about the tenants, who protects them when the landlord uses his house as collateral, fails to pay up, the house repossessed and tenants thrown out or made to pay new rents?
Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by halquest: 3:30pm On Jun 24, 2010
i live in a blok of 6 flats of 3bedroomin ajao estate and one of the flats is vacant,the owner takes only a year's rent,but has conditions, u must b a yoruba person, married or about 2,with regular source of income,xtian etc if u meet these conditions cal 07028686018
Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by damilola15: 4:09pm On Jun 24, 2010
I tot I heard one time that such payments were being outlawed in Lagos state.
Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jun 24, 2010
halquest:

i live in a blok of 6 flats of 3bedroomin ajao estate and one of the flats is vacant,the owner takes only a year's rent,but has conditions, u must b a yoruba person, married or about 2,with regular source of income,xtian etc if u meet these conditions cal 07028686018
oga landlord this ur conditions are plenty ooo the next thing u would say is diesel gen, no coming back after 10pm, no this no that no etc

well enjoy na ur house
Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by Pittbaby(f): 5:27pm On Jun 24, 2010
Very annoying situation, and to make matters worse , after that two year period landlords will inflate the rent drastically for the annual payment . You have no choice but to pay unless you are willing to gather another large amount to pay two years somewhere else
Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by CarlosVent(m): 7:50pm On Jun 24, 2010
GOVERNMENT SHULD LOOK INTO DIS.
AT LEAST FROM 6 MONTHS TO 1 YR MAXIMUM NOT 2 YRS
Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by kobikwelu(m): 9:17pm On Jun 24, 2010
not only in lagos,

here in abuja,

if u are lucky to get a yr, it would be at an outrageous price,

example,

a room apartment costs 700k per yr

for 2 yrs its 1.2m lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed (thats if you r lucky to get at all in the first place)
Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by BOMANY: 9:28pm On Jun 24, 2010
It is the most frustrating thing in Nigeria? you feel like you are working just to satisfy your landlord embarassed

However, it like tradition or common understanding more than contracting, laws or regulations. I wish the govt can do anything, anything to stop this bloody system, but what can govt do if the landlord insists on annual payment not monthly like most of the world
It is serious problem that needs serious resolution
Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by Tcrack(m): 10:42pm On Jun 24, 2010
This is one of the reason why the small scale industry in nigeria will never grow. if you have 1m to invest in a business and you use 750k to rent a shop, what is left? yet we blame those selling at the raod side. the house i live in here, dem no born me well to live in this kind of house in niaja because by the time i pay two years rent with agency, agreement, damages etc. it will be running into 1.5m where will i get that kind of money from? and you wonder why people are leaving niaja by all means. cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by oloritinu: 11:01pm On Jun 24, 2010
halquest:

i tried o my brother. that is the problem i have now. i missed the flat i wanted recently because the lanlord wants a married person and i am not. pls, if any has 3bedroom around akobo in ibadan, i am intrested.pls ,i like to the house to have water running. my budget is 120,000-150,000naira /year. please i can only pay for one year ooooooooooo.
Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by BOMANY: 11:41pm On Jun 24, 2010
oloritinu:

i tried o my brother. that is the problem i have now. i missed the flat i wanted recently because the lanlord wants a married person and i am not. pls, if any has 3bedroom around akobo in ibadan, i am intrested.pls ,i like to the house to have water running. my budget is 120,000-150,000naira /year. please i can only pay for one year ooooooooooo.

Waw, is it the rate in Ibadan, I think I should relocate, just need a chopper
Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by teekay8(m): 8:46am On Jun 25, 2010
my fellow nigerian, na so we see am oooooooooo! u cant imagine how disturbed I am. my rent will soon expire and my landlord wants to use the place. if I av to get a new place then I av to pay for 2yrs. pls tell me, how can I pay for 2yrs when I am just a public servant? we av to pray hard for this country o jare! may Our Father in heaven butter our bread ooooooooo! AMEN!
Re: One Year Rent- Why So Difficult? by duno: 1:00pm On Jun 25, 2010
Off to check a potential one-year house. keep you posted!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hostel For Sale, Delta State Poly, Ogwashi Uku / ROYAL PALM ESTATE IBEJU LEKKI BESIDE PAN ATLANTIC UNIVERSITY +2348125429017 / Earthing Materials: What You Should Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.