Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,673 members, 7,865,706 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 12:27 AM

American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread - Travel (48) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread (119119 Views)

US Based Nigerian Lady Shares How She Spends All Her Finances On Bills (pix/vid) / Us-based Ghanaian Lady Arrested In Attempt To Open Plane Door Mid-flight / Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (73) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by GambaOsaka: 11:54pm On Jan 30, 2019
Backfornow:

Hi Neighbor!! Im from Indy.

Nice
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 2:59pm On Feb 01, 2019
Simple ways to start a job search...

Start with the following monster.com, careerbuilder.com, indeed.com, and LinkedIn. All these sites have companies reporting job openings to them, it is more efficient/time saving to do it this way. Then any business you may want to work for fast food, convenience, health care, etc, go to their website and look for their career section. Nowadays companies have mostly done away with paper applications, the jobs are posted in real time, and your application reaches human resources faster when submitted online. And do not put your ssn in suspicious sites and be careful using public wifi also.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Holocene(m): 2:29am On Feb 03, 2019
Backfornow:

Start with the following monster.com, careerbuilder.com, indeed.com, and LinkedIn. All these sites have companies reporting job openings to them, it is more efficient/time saving to do it this way. Then any business you may want to work for fast food, convenience, health care, etc, go to their website and look for their career section. Nowadays companies have mostly done away with paper applications, the jobs are posted in real time, and your application reaches human resources faster when submitted online. And do not put your ssn in suspicious sites and be careful using public wifi also.
Its amazing when you see people using public wifi on secured sites. Anything you enter including passwords to bank apps and other details about yourself can easily be obtained by the admins. I dont even use my office wifi because I am that paranoid about my online safety.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by stonemasonn: 3:59am On Feb 03, 2019
Don’t forget Craigslist
Backfornow:

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by olumig(m): 10:06am On Feb 03, 2019
Backfornow:

Bed bugs disappeared for 40 years, now they're back with a vengeance. Here's what to know
SEAN ROSSMAN | USA TODAY
2:32 p.m. EDT June 21, 2017

Most Americans fear bed bugs but can't spot one
Our biggest fears can have our minds racing with scary images of bed bugs, but could you spot one? Angeli Kakade (@angelikakade) has the story.
BUZZ60
They're small, blood-sucking parasites perhaps living in the corners and crevices of our beds, feeding off us while we sleep.

Bed bugs, for decades, existed as myths, part of a rhyme our parents told us before bed. Now they've made an unwelcome return and those who know the buggers best say it's high time we start taking them seriously.

Recently fed adult bed bugs and just-hatched baby bed bugs. The white morsels are eggs.
M.F. POTTER
After all, getting a bed bug infestation "is a bit of a crap shoot," conceded University of Kentucky entomologist Michael Potter, meaning all of us are at risk.

Bed bugs used to be "incredibly common" in the early 20th century, Potter said. Back then, people routinely checked for them and carried insecticide while traveling.

Read more: Is your city crawling with bed bugs?

Read more: Bedbugs kill woman, caretaker faces charges

Read more: Frustrated Maine man tosses bed bugs on city employee

But the introduction of potent insecticides killed most of our bed bugs, banishing them from our homes and consciousnesses. The bugs, Potter said, disappeared from about the mid-1950s to the late 1990s. They became so rare people could no longer identify them and a new generation of pest control professionals weren't equipped to fight them, noted University of Florida research scientist Roberto Pereira.

But then they came "roaring back in the last five to seven years," Potter said, creeping into our couches, our apartments and even into the hotel rooms of our NBA stars. The reason why is a mystery, although Pereira and Potter suggest it's because the once potent insecticide is now banned, people travel more and the bugs have grown resistant to modern insecticides.

Now we're left avoiding them. But there are ways. Here's what you need to know:

They're small and flat
If you've never seen one, bed bugs are small, flat, reddish-brown bugs about the size of Abraham Lincoln's head on a penny.

They have an oblong shell and a tiny head. They typically live in areas where people sleep because at night they feed on our blood.

Unlike ticks or fleas, bed bugs don't latch on when they feed. They bite then scurry away to digest. "It's a creepy parasite," described Potter. "It's a little bit like Dracula."

They live off our blood
Bed bugs have to feed on human blood about once a week, Potter said. However, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention claims they can live several months without a "blood meal."

Potter said bed bugs will adapt to your schedule. For instance, if you work the overnight shift, they'll learn to feed on you during the day.

They huddle on your mattress
The black spotting on this blanket are fecal marks left by bed bugs. Such spotting is a tell-tale sign of a bed-bug infestation.
M.F. POTTER
Bed bugs don't form colonies or nest, but they do aggregate, usually within about eight feet of where a person sleeps.

It's popular to find clusters of them on beds and recliners. Very skittish, bed bugs don't like movement, which is why they feed on us while we sleep.

Popular places for them to congregate are in the seams of mattresses, in bed frames, headboards, dressers and behind wallpaper or clutter. A bed bug, notes the CDC, can travel more than 100 feet in a single night.

A third of us get bit, but don't notice
Bed bug bites look like raised welts and can cause serious allergic reactions in some people.

But a third of people don't experience any reaction. This only helps the infestation spread because people don't know they have the bugs.

Cleanliness has nothing to do with it
Bed bug fecal spots on a bed.
M.F. POTTER
The stigma that a filthy home is more at risk of getting bed bugs just isn't true, Potter claims.

Unlike cockroaches, rats or flies, who feed on filth, bed bugs feed on blood. They only need a body. Bed bugs, the CDC said, have been found in five-star hotels and resorts.

So, where do they live?
Bed bugs are most often found in major metropolitan areas. However, over time, the pests have found their way to rural areas.

Anywhere there are close quarters, Potter said, the odds are better. It's a numbers game, he said, because the more people coming and going from a building increases the odds the bugs will find their way there.

Low-income housing also is a target because many people use old bedding and building staff may not take the steps to address the problem.

They don't carry disease

Bed bugs do not carry disease. At most, they're annoyances which cause itching and a lack of sleep.

How do we avoid them?
Experts say people bring an infestation into a home after they've gone to a place with bed bugs and somehow brought them back to their house.

This can happen just about anywhere: At hotels, while riding busses and trains, vacationing on cruise ships and bunking in dorm rooms. They attach to stuff, Potter said, not people. He's seen them on the bottoms of shoes, baseball caps and even Beanie Babies.

But it's unlikely you'll get them from places where people don't sleep. The places where people get some shut-eye are most at risk.

Potter advises people check around hotel beds when first checking in. Pull back the sheets, check the seam and corners of the mattress near the pillows and the headboard. Look for black spots, the bugs themselves or yellowish skins that bed bugs shed.

Try not to spread out in your hotel room. Don't place your open suitcase against a wall. Try to keep it closed and set it on a hard surface. Don't spread clothes across the hotel room.

Potter said each of us needs to strike a balance as to how paranoid we'll be in avoiding bed bugs.

"You got to be careful because you take all the joy out life," he said. "People just have to decide how apprehensive do they want to be."

2:32 p.m. EDT June 21, 2017

Experienced this last year in San Diego, wasn't a pretty site, changed Motel pronto
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by kroger: 11:50am On Feb 03, 2019
stonemasonn:
Don’t forget Craigslist

Craigslist is more of a manual labor type of job though. .

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Dremca(m): 6:36pm On Feb 03, 2019
A powerful VPN will shield you from any cyber threat even youre using wifi of the world most dangerous hacking group, you're secured.
Holocene:

Its amazing when you see people using public wifi on secured sites. Anything you enter including passwords to bank apps and other details about yourself can easily be obtained by the admins. I dont even use my office wifi because I am that paranoid about my online safety.

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 9:20pm On Feb 03, 2019
Dremca:
A powerful VPN will shield you from any cyber threat even youre using wifi of the world most dangerous hacking group, you're secured.

Nope
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by stonemasonn: 4:17am On Feb 04, 2019
Congrats New England patriots.

Backfornow, l’m sure you are catching fun at the stadium right now.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 5:03am On Feb 04, 2019
stonemasonn:

grin Oh New England won. (Again)
Sorry to disappoint you, I was nowhere near the stadium. In fact, I didn't even watch it. I think you got me confused with Kroger, Atlanta is his hood.

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by kroger: 5:34am On Feb 04, 2019
Backfornow:

Sorry to disappoint you, I was nowhere near the stadium. In fact, I didn't even watch it. I think you got me confused with Kroger, Atlanta is his hood.

I am no where close to Atlanta, i am still stuck in St Louis but will be back this week.. I didint watch the super bowl cos i don,t understand the rules of the game angry
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by kroger: 5:36am On Feb 04, 2019
Dremca:

I dis agree with that Dremca, i configure VPN tunnel daily and i know the flaws associated with it..

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 6:42am On Feb 04, 2019
kroger:

I am no where close to Atlanta, i am still stuck in St Louis but will be back this week.. I didint watch the super bowl cos i don,t understand the rules of the game angry

To be honest I dont understand the game either. All I understand are interceptions, fumble, and touchdown, I understand nothing in between those things. I know when to cheer when others are cheering around me and boo when they boo. Besides most people watch the superbowl for the halftime show and the commercials. A 15 sec commercial during the superbowl costs millions of dollars so advertisers make sure they are really good. And mostly people use the superbowl as an excuse to have a big party.

2 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 6:44am On Feb 04, 2019
stonemasonn:

I don't know why teams play against New England. They are just going to get their Hope's up for nothing. Aren't they undefeated anyways? And they cheat.
Did you attend a superbowl party?
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 6:57am On Feb 04, 2019
Have you done your taxes yet?. Here are some Ways to get the most from filing your taxes.

1. Do it yourself.
Unless you are self employed or some other complicated issue, filing yourself will save you money. Programs like TurboTax and HRBlock online cost less than $100 for state and federal. If you file simple forms you can get it for free.

2. Childcare
Childcare expenses can be deducted on your taxes. However if you used FSA for childcare during the year you can only claim the difference.

3. Medical expenses
If you spend a significant amount out of pocket on medical expenses this can be deducted. You will need to check the rules to see what the stipulations are.

4. Education
If you were a college student, education related expenses such has tuition, books, are deductible

5. Student loan interest
If you paid on student loans, the interest from that is deductible

Next time other deductions mortgage interest, business related expenses, charitable giving, children

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Dremca(m): 9:02am On Feb 04, 2019
ExpressVPN is very powerful and reliable.
kroger:

I dis agree with that Dremca, i configure VPN tunnel daily and i know the flaws associated with it..
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by stonemasonn: 3:37pm On Feb 04, 2019
Oh sorry, Indiana right? How’s the city like?
Backfornow:

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by stonemasonn: 3:39pm On Feb 04, 2019
Backfornow:

I don't know why teams play against New England. They are just going to get their Hope's up for nothing. Aren't they undefeated anyways? And they cheat.
nahhhh was home drinking Alamo bitters. grin
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by stonemasonn: 3:46pm On Feb 04, 2019
Backfornow:
Have you done your taxes yet?. Here are some Ways to get the most from filing your taxes.

Is TurboTax the best program out there? Mine should be simple but I’ll rather use a software to save me the stress. This is also my first time.

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by stonemasonn: 3:50pm On Feb 04, 2019
kroger:

Craigslist is more of a manual labor type of job though. .
you’ll find all kinds of jobs including IT jobs, just search with the right keywords.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Beautyaddy: 4:17pm On Feb 04, 2019
Backfornow:

Lol!...I know, right?

The LA Rams players are kind of new so one would have already concluded that their chances of winning was going to be very hard.

Anyways, who watched The World's Best performance show after the Super bowl? Now that show was a show to get peoples undivided attention to.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Bossman(m): 4:36pm On Feb 04, 2019
It seems so. Been using it for about 16 years or so, and I am quite satisfied with it.

stonemasonn:
Is TurboTax the best program out there? Mine should be simple but I’ll rather use a software to save me the stress. This is also my first time.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Harrisibor(m): 5:58pm On Feb 04, 2019
Nice thread . Any one in the Chicago area here? Let’s hook up pls
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 7:38pm On Feb 04, 2019
stonemasonn:

I'm afraid to say it's the best but I will say that one year I used 3 or 4 different programs to see who would give me the highest return. Turbotax gave me the highest return and was the easiest to use. It walks you through step by step so its pretty hard to mess up. Plus it saves previous returns for you. This year I needed a copy of my tax transcript for something and I was able to just go in and downloaded it.

I may have misquoted the price, it may not be the same.

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 7:50pm On Feb 04, 2019
Beautyaddy:

Lol!...I know, right?

The LA Rams players are kind of new so one would have already concluded that their chances of winning was going to be very hard.

Anyways, who watched The World's Best performance show after the Super bowl? Now that show was a show to get peoples undivided attention to.
Well indianaians are still mad at Tom Brady and the Patriots for #deflategate
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 6:06am On Feb 05, 2019
Backfornow:

1. Do it yourself.
Unless you are self employed or some other complicated issue, filing yourself will save you money. Programs like TurboTax and HRBlock online cost less than $100 for state and federal. If you file simple forms you can get it for free.

2. Childcare
Childcare expenses can be deducted on your taxes. However if you used FSA for childcare during the year you can only claim the difference.

3. Medical expenses
If you spend a significant amount out of pocket on medical expenses this can be deducted. You will need to check the rules to see what the stipulations are.

4. Education
If you were a college student, education related expenses such has tuition, books, are deductible

5. Student loan interest
If you paid on student loans, the interest from that is deductible

Next time other deductions mortgage interest, business related expenses, charitable giving, children

+1 for TurboTax. My 8th year using it. Return this year and not really claiming much over 8k
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 6:08am On Feb 05, 2019
stonemasonn:

Perfect for someone like you. It babies you and updates your refund/owed amount as you go so you learn what affects your taxes
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 6:10am On Feb 05, 2019
Harrisibor:
Nice thread . Any one in the Chicago area here? Let’s hook up pls

Pele for your icy hell with the polar vortex. I only go to Chicago for meetings at corporate office and then I GTFO grin

Nice in summer though. Lots of fun.

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by SirWahl1: 3:13pm On Feb 05, 2019
Lol Chicago is one hell of a cold city but gats lots of jobs now, that you can’t take away from the city. One of the top cities in the world. Can’t wait for the summer to come
radautoworks:

Pele for your icy hell with the polar vortex. I only go to Chicago for meetings at corporate office and then I GTFO grin

Nice in summer though. Lots of fun.

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 7:06pm On Feb 05, 2019
6. Charitable giving

Charitable giving is considered tax deductible. This includes tithes and offerings to your church, donations made to organizations like Goodwill, Salvation Army whether they are cash, household items, car, or clothing.

7. Home mortgage points
Mortgage interest paid on behalf of a mortgage is tax deductible as well as property taxes and mortgage insurance. Mortgage insurance is not the the same as homeowners insurance.

8. Business use of your home

9. Work related education expenses

Continuing education, tuition, books, research, some transportation and travel costs.

10. Personal casualty loss
If you were a victim of a disaster declared by the president, you may qualify for a deduction.

11. Using your Car for business

12. Earned income tax credit
This credit is for low to moderate income workers

13. Children or dependents
Each child or qualifying relative listed qualifies for a credit.

Warnings and disclaimers
This not a complete list . For complete lists and details go to irs.gov

These deductions will only work if you are filing what is called itemized deductions or long form. For everyone else you can/will file standardized deduction
Depending on what your situation is, you may list everything but still come out ahead by filing standardized deductions.

Do not, I repeat, do not go listing random, fictitious, made up figures. The IRS deals with facts, you need to be able to prove what you are listing. The IRs can/will audit you if you seem suspicious and it is sometimes done randomly. AND they expect you to pull up records receipts, etc for the past three tax seasons.

Updated :
I just found out today the following items are no longer deductible which have been popular in the past. They are home energy improvements, unreimbursed work expenses ,(uniforms) moving expenses, alimony, casualty, theft expenses
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 7:53pm On Feb 05, 2019
SirWahl1:
Lol Chicago is one hell of a cold city but gats lots of jobs now, that you can’t take away from the city. One of the top cities in the world. Can’t wait for the summer to come

Not more than Houston though. Jobs galore. Houston barely acknowledges recessions grin
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Dremca(m): 8:12pm On Feb 05, 2019
Are most of these jobs under table jobs, possibly the reason many Nigerians live in Houston.
radautoworks:

Not more than Houston though. Jobs galore. Houston barely acknowledges recessions grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (73) (Reply)

Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! / The Crystal Service immigration Scam / The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.