Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,207 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:47 PM

The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) (119698 Views)

The Humans Of Ogun State (street Photography) / 5 People You Will Find On Any Lagos Street / Monday Morning Inspiration From The Humans Of Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 8:04am On Jan 11, 2015
Hi guys welcome to The humans of Lagos photography thread, my initial plan was to do this project for nairalanders but I had troubles, first with the pm issue they kept me from sending as much mails as I could and secondly most nairlanders I was able to contact declined due to privacy concerns so I decided to take it up a notch, go out on the streets of Lagos and meet random Lagosians, interact with them, take a portrait and share their story.

Humans of Lagos is a street photography project capturing the lives of everyday Lagosians and sharing their story. Inspired by Brandon Stanton's HONY project. Capturing the heart and soul of everyday Lagosians, telling the Lagos story one shutter at a time.

Welcome on board as we start this interesting journey together and please do follow us on instagram http://instagram.com/thehumansoflagos and like our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/humansoflagosng http://www.facebook.com/TochianiPhotography for latest updates.

36 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 8:08am On Jan 11, 2015
http://www.thehumansoflagos.com

"My Aunty told my parents she will train me in school and brought me to Lagos but when I got here she sent me to the streets to hawk all day, after some years I ran away from her house and stayed on the streets doing menial jobs now I've raised enough money and enrolled in the university of Lagos" #humansoflagos

131 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 8:09am On Jan 11, 2015
"My trouser tore in Church one day, I was so embarrassed but my friends came through, they formed a circle around me and walked me home, people were looking at us strange, it was like some bodyguards trying to shield the president from assasins just like in the movies. Can't forget that day." #humansoflagos

112 Likes 11 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 8:10am On Jan 11, 2015
Just started this weekend and will be updating the thread as I go out and take more.

3 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 8:11am On Jan 11, 2015
"I came to Lagos in 2006, jobs are scarce my people expect me to be a rich man now. I learnt furniture but haven't been able to start my own. I'm just angry and frustrated" #humansoflagos

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 8:11am On Jan 11, 2015
"I'm trying to save money so I can go back to clothing business or any other good business" #humansoflagos

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 9:40am On Jan 12, 2015
"I want to be a pilot but my dad said no, he doesn't want me to be sent to the north for aviation school cos of insecurity there." #humansoflagos

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 9:41am On Jan 12, 2015
"After school, I help my mum sell oranges. I like going to the field cos I sell a lot there and also watch them play football, sometimes I wish I can play with the other children but I can't leave my market to play. When I grow up I want to be a billionaire so my mum won't sell oranges again." #humansoflagos

474 Likes 70 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by veave(f): 10:10am On Jan 12, 2015
Encore please...

2 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 10:16am On Jan 12, 2015
veave:
Encore please...
The project is still evolving, will post more as I go out on the streets and meet more people. Just started this past weekend. Follow us on instagram too and other social media platforms and please do tag those you think might like this. Thanks a lot for following.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by pryd(m): 1:25pm On Jan 12, 2015
This is absolutely brilliant! More please.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by onegig(m): 1:41pm On Jan 12, 2015
Following . Nice work you doing and some beautiful pics you got.

Can we post pictures we took?

And why the focus on the "bad" stories alone? There is always a bright side you know.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by pickabeau1: 2:00pm On Jan 12, 2015
nice..

i expected sharper pics though

less of poses and more of spontaneity

9 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 3:34pm On Jan 12, 2015
onegig:
Following . Nice work you doing and some beautiful pics you got.

Can we post pictures we took?

And why the focus on the "bad" stories alone? There is always a bright side you know.
I don't have a criteria for selecting the quotes I use, I talk to them and pick an interesting quote from my conversation with them. about posting your pictures, I'm not entirely sure about that now, it could still evolve into that but for now no. But you could join me on the streets one day, I'm sure you'd find it interesting and I'm looking forward to shooting with you.
Glad you like the pictures. Thanks.

5 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 3:35pm On Jan 12, 2015
pickabeau1:
nice..

i expected sharper pics though

less of poses and more of spontaneity

Thanks a lot, I'll improve on that. It's going to be an interesting ride, and you guys are welcome on board.
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jan 12, 2015
Neat idea.

-Where are the women and elderly folks? I hope you will get a wide range of people.

-How about including their initials at the end of their quotes? I just think it would make the quotes more authentic. If they're permitting you to take their pictures, then anonymity (or lack of it) isn't an issue.

8 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jan 12, 2015
Lovely photos.. more pls

2 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jan 12, 2015
Beautiful. Definitely following. smiley
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by pickabeau1: 8:30pm On Jan 12, 2015
TochiPhotos:

Thanks a lot, I'll improve on that. It's going to be an interesting ride, and you guys are welcome on board.

Good
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by ihedinobi2: 10:27pm On Jan 12, 2015
Lovely. Please try to catch at least a few of them natural. I love the concept. It could become a photobook if you work harder at it.

1 Like

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by sholay2011(m): 11:21pm On Jan 12, 2015
Nice!

*Following*
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by basille(m): 12:15am On Jan 13, 2015
Following.
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 7:37am On Jan 13, 2015
"My year got off to the best possible start, got this job first week of January, it doesn't pay much and I haven't gone home since I started cos I can't afford tfare but its better than staying idle. I'm grateful and it gives me hope this year will be good for me" #humansoflagos

104 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 7:39am On Jan 13, 2015
"I love drawing, I'm at my happiest with a pencil in my hand. It's a hobby but I hope to take it serious and get better at it" #humansoflagos

58 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jan 13, 2015
Bravo! I follow HONY but I must say I fully expect the stories of Lagosians (is that correct?) to be just as (possibly more) inspiring cheesy

I agree with above posters, do endeavor to capture people 'being real'/not posing. If permission isn't granted but you feel their story must be told, offer them the option of you capturing a small part of their person/or faced away from the camera to accompany their quotes but retain anonymity smiley. I love what you're doing, keep it up!

10 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jan 13, 2015

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by bukatyne(f): 5:50pm On Jan 13, 2015
@OP: Nice one cheesy

Keep the good work going. smiley
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by stefan007: 7:33pm On Jan 13, 2015
Nice work op........ Following this thread
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by timpaker(m): 7:57pm On Jan 13, 2015
Nice concept. #following. But please try and capture others that made it from the street too.

2 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by UjSizzle(f): 9:46pm On Jan 13, 2015
Biko what camera are you using? cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Str8twistedme: 4:29am On Jan 14, 2015
Making sense I swear... Me sure you a photographer... just adding creativity and story line to it... Cool#
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Horpe23: 7:48am On Jan 14, 2015
Adding extra to the ordinary just made your project extraordinary.. You are doing a great job. Keep it up.

2 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply)

I Just Got A 3-Month Visa To Dubai, I Need Your Suggestions Please!!! / Lions Nap On Road In South Africa During Lockdown (Photos) / Beautiful Calabar In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.