Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,285 members, 7,818,963 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:03 AM

American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread - Travel (53) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread (117932 Views)

US Based Nigerian Lady Shares How She Spends All Her Finances On Bills (pix/vid) / Us-based Ghanaian Lady Arrested In Attempt To Open Plane Door Mid-flight / Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) ... (73) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Holocene(m): 10:10am On Feb 25, 2019
OyinbowithaTan:

Because this idiot's story was obviously fake and the media treated as though it was real.

Nobody knew it was fake initially till things didnt start to add up. I wouldn't want to walk up to 2 MAGA supporters at night anyway
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 1:38pm On Feb 25, 2019
Holocene:

Nobody knew it was fake initially till things didnt start to add up. I wouldn't want to walk up to 2 MAGA supporters at night anyway

Some black people started questioning it right away bc Chicago of all places? Chicago is not Maga territory. Chicago is one of the most liberal diverse cities. And Jussie isnt mainstream enough to be singled out and tracked down like he claimed.

2 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Bossman(m): 3:36pm On Feb 25, 2019
Yep. Most of us felt his story just did not sound right. That's a pretty save and quiet area as well.

Backfornow:

Some black people started questioning it right away bc Chicago of all places? Chicago is not Maga territory. Chicago is one of the most liberal diverse cities. And Jussie isnt mainstream enough to be singled out and tracked down like he claimed.

2 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by OyinbowithaTan(m): 6:20pm On Feb 25, 2019
Holocene:

Reporting "fake" hate crimes is super common. I know it was fake as soon as I read the initial reporting. Nice way to suggest that all MAGA supporters are somehow bad or evil.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by stonemasonn: 4:57am On Feb 26, 2019
Backfornow:

what is maga? ......In Nigeria it’s another name for a sucker.

2 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 8:08am On Feb 26, 2019
stonemasonn:

Same in America grin

2 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Holocene(m): 12:13pm On Feb 26, 2019
OyinbowithaTan:

Reporting "fake" hate crimes is super common. I know it was fake as soon as I read the initial reporting. Nice way to suggest that all MAGA supporters are somehow bad or evil.

Well sorry if I generalize but the MAGA cap is looked in the same light as the white cap hood of the KKK... I haven't seen any minority in the USA proudly wearing it.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by SirWahl1: 12:44pm On Feb 26, 2019
Kanye West wears the Maga cap and yes there are black republicans who are also Trump supporters

Holocene:

Well sorry if I generalize but the MAGA cap is looked in the same light as the white cap hood of the KKK... I haven't seen any minority in the USA proudly wearing it.

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 1:07pm On Feb 26, 2019
stonemasonn:

The Make America Great Again folks that wear the red hats with that acronym. There are trump supporters or Republicans and then there are these folks. They are Very rabid Trump supporters.

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by OyinbowithaTan(m): 1:51pm On Feb 26, 2019
Holocene:

Only by indoctrinated people it is seen that way. KKK were Democrats of course. Even today Democrats will attack people for wearing a MAGA hat.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Holocene(m): 4:40am On Feb 27, 2019
OyinbowithaTan:

Only by indoctrinated people it is seen that way. KKK were Democrats of course. Even today Democrats will attack people for wearing a MAGA hat.
There was a political shift in the early days after the depression when all the crazy asss southern Democrats moved over to the Republican. It's funny the early Republicans fought the early Democrats who supposed slavery.

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nig4Greatness: 11:49am On Feb 27, 2019
Now we have a new set of leaders in Nigeria.its now we all join hands and make the country great again.i expect the government to perform better this time.

#MakeNIgeriaGreatAgain.

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by OyinbowithaTan(m): 1:55pm On Feb 27, 2019
Holocene:

There was a political shift in the early days after the depression when all the crazy asss southern Democrats moved over to the Republican. It's funny the early Republicans fought the early Democrats who supposed slavery.
Nope the Dixiecrats remained Democrats until death. A couple flipped to the GOP that is it. Still today the people who dress in black, conceal their faces, and attack others (Antifa) on the streets are leftists. Antifa, KKK, Nazi Brownshirts, Mussolini black shirts, always leftists.
After the depression WWll the South remained mixed politically. Truman won NC, VA, WV, GA, FL, KY, TX, TN, AR. JFK won NC, SC, WV, GA, LA, AR, TX. In 1976 Carter won all of the South and I mean every state in the South. So no what you suggested did not happen.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 3:51pm On Feb 27, 2019
OyinbowithaTan:

Nope the Dixiecrats remained Democrats until death. A couple flipped to the GOP that is it. Still today the people who dress in black, conceal their faces, and attack others (Antifa) on the streets are leftists. Antifa, KKK, Nazi Brownshirts, Mussolini black shirts, always leftists.
After the depression WWll the South remained mixed politically. Truman won NC, VA, WV, GA, FL, KY, TX, TN, AR. JFK won NC, SC, WV, GA, LA, AR, TX. In 1976 Carter won all of the South and I mean every state in the South. So no what you suggested did not happen.

I still don't understand your purpose on this thread

2 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 5:47pm On Feb 27, 2019
Nig4Greatness:
Now we have a new set of leaders in Nigeria.its now we all join hands and make the country great again.i expect the government to perform better this time.

#MakeNIgeriaGreatAgain.
So who won? And is this good or bad news. I apologize, I have not been to first page yet.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 5:49pm On Feb 27, 2019
Nig4Greatness:

#MakeNIgeriaGreatAgain.
So who won? And is this good or bad news? I apologize I have not been to first page yet.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by OyinbowithaTan(m): 6:28pm On Feb 27, 2019
radautoworks:

Like wise with you.

2 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 8:23pm On Feb 27, 2019
For those arguing above me...
Democratic Party
POLITICAL PARTY, UNITED STATES
Alternative Title: Jacksonian Party
WRITTEN BY: The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica
LAST UPDATED: Feb 19, 2019
Democratic Party

The Democratic Party has changed significantly during its more than two centuries of existence. During the 19th century the party supported or tolerated slavery, and it opposed civil rights reforms after the American Civil War in order to retain the support of Southern voters. By the mid-20th century it had undergone a dramatic ideological realignment and reinvented itself as a party supporting organized labour, the civil rights of minorities, and progressive reform. Since Pres. Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal of the 1930s, the party has also tended to favour greater government intervention in the economy and to oppose government intervention in the private noneconomic affairs of citizens. The logo of the Democratic Party, the donkey, was popularized by cartoonist Thomas Nast in the 1870s; though widely used, it has never been officially adopted by the party.

History
The Democratic Party is the oldest political party in the United States and among the oldest political parties in the world. It traces its roots to 1792, when followers of Thomas Jefferson adopted the name Republican to emphasize their anti-monarchical views. The Republican Party, also known as the Jeffersonian Republicans, advocated a decentralized government with limited powers. Another faction to emerge in the early years of the republic, the Federalist party led by Alexander Hamilton favored a string central government.

Slavery and the emergence of the bipartisan system
From 1828 to 1856 the Democrats won all but two presidential elections (1840 and 1848). During the 1840s and ’50s, however, the Democratic Party, as it officially named itself in 1844, suffered serious internal strains over the issue of extending slavery to the Western territories. Southern Democrats, led by Jefferson Davis, wanted to allow slavery in all the territories, while Northern Democrats, led by Stephen A. Douglas, proposed that each territory should decide the question for itself through referendum. The issue split the Democrats at their 1860 presidential convention, where Southern Democrats nominated John C. Breckinridge and Northern Democrats nominated Douglas. The 1860 election also included John Bell, the nominee of the Constitutional Union Party, and Abraham Lincoln, the candidate of the newly established (1854) antislavery Republican Party (which was unrelated to Jefferson’s Republican Party of decades earlier). With the Democrats hopelessly split, Lincoln was elected president with only about 40 percent of the national vote; in contrast, Douglas and Breckinridge won 29 percent and 18 percent of the vote, respectively.

The election of 1860 is regarded by most political observers as the first of the country’s three “critical” elections—contests that produced sharp yet enduring changes in party loyalties across the country. (Some scholars also identify the 1824 election as a critical election.) It established the Democratic and Republican parties as the major parties in what was ostensibly a two-party system. In federal elections from the 1870s to the 1890s, the parties were in rough balance—except in the South, where the Democrats dominated because most whites blamed the Republican Party for both the American Civil War (1861–65) and the Reconstruction (1865–77) that followed; the two parties controlled Congress for almost equal periods through the rest of the 19th century, though the Democratic Party held the presidency only during the two terms of Grover Cleveland (1885–89 and 1893–97). Repressive legislation and physical intimidation designed to prevent newly enfranchised African Americans from voting—despite passage of the Fifteenth Amendment—ensured that the South would remain staunchly Democratic for nearly a century (see black code). During Cleveland’s second term, however, the United States sank into an economic depression. The party at this time was basically conservative and agrarian-oriented, opposing the interests of big business (especially protective tariffs) and favouring cheap-money policies, which were aimed at maintaining low interest rates.

A difficult transition to progressivism
In the country’s second critical election, in 1896, the Democrats split disastrously over the free-silver and Populist program of their presidential candidate, William Jennings Bryan. Bryan lost by a wide margin to Republican William McKinley, a conservative who supported high tariffs and money based only on gold. From 1896 to 1932 the Democrats held the presidency only during the two terms of Woodrow Wilson (1913–21), and even Wilson’s presidency was considered somewhat of a fluke. Wilson won in 1912 because the Republican vote was divided between President William Howard Taft (the official party nominee) and former Republican president Theodore Roosevelt, the candidate of the new Bull Moose Party. Wilson championed various progressive economic reforms, including the breaking up of business monopolies and broader federal regulation of banking and industry. Although he led the United States into World War I to make the world “safe for democracy,” Wilson’s brand of idealism and internationalism proved less attractive to voters during the spectacular prosperity of the 1920s than the Republicans’ frank embrace of big business. The Democrats lost decisively the presidential elections of 1920, 1924, and 1928.

The New Deal coalition
The country’s third critical election, in 1932, took place in the wake of the stock market crash of 1929 and in the midst of the Great Depression. Led by Franklin D. Roosevelt, the Democrats not only regained the presidency but also replaced the Republicans as the majority party throughout the country—in the North as well as the South. Through his political skills and his sweeping New Deal social programs, such as social security and the statutory minimum wage, Roosevelt forged a broad coalition—including small farmers, Northern city dwellers, organized labour, European immigrants, liberals, intellectuals, and reformers—that enabled the Democratic Party to retain the presidency until 1952 and to control both houses of Congress for most of the period from the 1930s to the mid-1990s. Roosevelt was reelected in 1936, 1940, and 1944; he was the only president to be elected to more than two terms. Upon his death in 1945 he was succeeded by his vice president, Harry S. Truman, who was narrowly elected in 1948.

The civil rights era
Republican Dwight D. Eisenhower, the supreme Allied commander during World War II, won overwhelming victories against Democrat Adlai E. Stevenson in the presidential elections of 1952 and 1956. The Democrats regained the White House in the election of 1960, when John F. Kennedy narrowly defeated Eisenhower’s vice president, Richard M. Nixon. The Democrats’ championing of civil rights and racial desegregation under Truman, Kennedy, and especially Lyndon B. Johnson—who secured passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965—cost the party the traditional allegiance of many of its Southern supporters. Moreover, the pursuit of civil rights legislation dramatically split the party’s legislators along regional lines in the 1950s and ’60s, with Southern senators famously conducting a protracted filibuster in an ultimately futile attempt to block passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Although Johnson defeated Republican Barry M. Goldwater by a landslide in 1964, his national support waned because of bitter opposition to the Vietnam War, and he chose not to run for reelection. Following the assassination of Robert F. Kennedy in 1968, the party nominated Johnson’s vice president, Hubert H. Humphrey, at a fractious convention in Chicago that was marred by violence outside the hall between police and protesters. Meanwhile, many Southern Democrats supported the candidacy of Alabama Governor George C. Wallace, an opponent of federally mandated racial integration. In the 1968 election Humphrey was soundly defeated by Nixon in the electoral college (among Southern states Humphrey carried only Texas), though he lost the popular vote by only a narrow margin.

Policy And Structure
Despite tracing its roots to Thomas Jefferson—who advocated a less-powerful, more-decentralized federal government—the modern Democratic Party generally supports a strong federal government with powers to regulate business and industry in the public interest; federally financed social services and benefits for the poor, the unemployed, the aged, and other groups; and the protection of civil rights. Most Democrats also endorse a strong separation of church and state, and they generally oppose government regulation of the private, noneconomic lives of citizens. Regarding foreign policy, Democrats tend to prefer internationalism and multilateralism—i.e., the execution of foreign policy through international institutions such as the United Nations—over isolationism and unilateralism. However, because the party is highly decentralized (as is the Republican Party), it encompasses a wide variety of opinion on certain issues. Although most Democrats favour affirmative action and gun control, for example, some moderate and conservative Democrats oppose those policies or give them only qualified support.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 9:36pm On Feb 27, 2019
Backfornow:
For those arguing above me...
Democratic Party
POLITICAL PARTY, UNITED STATES
Alternative Title: Jacksonian Party
WRITTEN BY: The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica
LAST UPDATED: Feb 19, 2019
Democratic Party

The Democratic Party has changed significantly during its more than two centuries of existence. During the 19th century the party supported or tolerated slavery, and it opposed civil rights reforms after the American Civil War in order to retain the support of Southern voters. By the mid-20th century it had undergone a dramatic ideological realignment and reinvented itself as a party supporting organized labour, the civil rights of minorities, and progressive reform. Since Pres. Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal of the 1930s, the party has also tended to favour greater government intervention in the economy and to oppose government intervention in the private noneconomic affairs of citizens. The logo of the Democratic Party, the donkey, was popularized by cartoonist Thomas Nast in the 1870s; though widely used, it has never been officially adopted by the party.

History
The Democratic Party is the oldest political party in the United States and among the oldest political parties in the world. It traces its roots to 1792, when followers of Thomas Jefferson adopted the name Republican to emphasize their anti-monarchical views. The Republican Party, also known as the Jeffersonian Republicans, advocated a decentralized government with limited powers. Another faction to emerge in the early years of the republic, the Federalist party led by Alexander Hamilton favored a string central government.

.. lives of citizens. Regarding foreign policy, Democrats tend to prefer internationalism and multilateralism—i.e., the execution of foreign policy through international institutions such as the United Nations—over isolationism and unilateralism. However, because the party is highly decentralized (as is the Republican Party), it encompasses a wide variety of opinion on certain issues. Although most Democrats favour affirmative action and gun control, for example, some moderate and conservative Democrats oppose those policies or give them only qualified support.

Can always trust you to bring the receipts and the wokeness

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nig4Greatness: 6:05am On Feb 28, 2019
Backfornow:

So who won? And is this good or bad news? I apologize I have not been to first page yet.

The incumbent won against all odds.the youths who made up of highest voting strength didn't show up.they were busy making noise all over social.media.i expect his government to do better this time.
As per whether it's a good news or not,it depends on which side of the divide you fall into.i supported him and voted for him because I believe he needs more time to consolidate on his policies.

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 12:54am On Mar 01, 2019
radautoworks:

Can always trust you to bring the receipts and the wokeness

Lol, just doing my job.
Actually, I learned something my own self.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by aariwa(m): 7:59am On Mar 01, 2019
Shameful to see some Nigerians here supporting trump as if people had ever lacked jobs in america[with exception of 2007-2009 recession] If jobs were a problem ,Al Gore and Hillary clinton would not have lost elections.Obama apart from implementing policies that helped immigrants and minorities like us; also set the economy on the fast track we are seeing today.He made laws that curtailed the excesses of the wall street guys,tightened regulation on mortgage lending,simulated the economy through bailout of ailing companies ect.Apart from deportation,i am still yet to see any concrete economic policy implemented by trump as to claim credit for the good economy.His core supporters are mostly the hardcore racists but they cannot guarantee any victory for him as the sane people that were decieved to vote for the conman have now distanced themselves from him and his party

3 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by aariwa(m): 8:03am On Mar 01, 2019
Nig4Greatness:

The incumbent won against all odds.the youths who made up of highest voting strength didn't show up.they were busy making noise all over social.media.i expect his government to do better this time.
As per whether it's a good news or not,it depends on which side of the divide you fall into.i supported him and voted for him because I believe he needs more time to consolidate on his policies.
Would you say the same thing if a family member of yours was among the thousands killed in broad day light by herdsmen and till today no single person has been brought to book

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by aariwa(m): 8:06am On Mar 01, 2019
radautoworks:

Dont mind the guy.Imagine ..oyibowithatan...He has been promoting some unfounded racist ideologies since he came here and i am not sure he is even a black person from his comments.He mentioned he likes black women from nigeria in one of his posts and you know a nigerian or an african can never post such thing

2 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by kroger: 12:01pm On Mar 07, 2019
aariwa:
Shameful to see some Nigerians here supporting trump as if people had ever lacked jobs in america[with exception of 2007-2009 recession] If jobs were a problem ,Al Gore and Hillary clinton would not have lost elections.Obama apart from implementing policies that helped immigrants and minorities like us; also set the economy on the fast track we are seeing today.He made laws that curtailed the excesses of the wall street guys,tightened regulation on mortgage lending,simulated the economy through bailout of ailing companies ect.Apart from deportation,i am still yet to see any concrete economic policy implemented by trump as to claim credit for the good economy.His core supporters are mostly the hardcore racists but they cannot guarantee any victory for him as the sane people that were decieved to vote for the conman have now distanced themselves from him and his party

Everyone has the right to vote for whoever he chooses..

3 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Abigalbee98(f): 7:21pm On Mar 11, 2019
Babyvet:

No it’s not, How one can work two full time jobs? It depends on your field but in nursing for example, it advised to work one full time job and then have another prn job somewhere else.
I sent a pm
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Toppytek(m): 11:44am On Mar 13, 2019
Hope say wahala no go happen if i compliment oyinbo woman during an interview?

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Ugosample(m): 6:02pm On Mar 13, 2019
aariwa:

a big shame indeed

But then

everyone has the right to support whoever

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 8:12pm On Mar 13, 2019
Toppytek:

That's called "sexual harassment"
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by kroger: 8:32pm On Mar 13, 2019
Toppytek:

Had an interview two weeks back, complimented the interviewer on her Gucci shades she smiled and asked me when can I start grin
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 9:33pm On Mar 13, 2019
kroger:

Had an interview two weeks back, complimented the interviewer on her Gucci shades she smiled and asked me when can I start grin

Don't think that's what he meant �

(1) (2) (3) ... (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) ... (73) (Reply)

Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! / Port Harcourt Lockdown: What I Saw Around The City Yesterday- PICTURES / The Following Countries Are Visa-free For Nigerian Passport Holders

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.