Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,757 members, 7,820,629 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:33 PM

American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread - Travel (61) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread (118048 Views)

US Based Nigerian Lady Shares How She Spends All Her Finances On Bills (pix/vid) / Us-based Ghanaian Lady Arrested In Attempt To Open Plane Door Mid-flight / Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) ... (73) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 1:50am On May 17, 2019
123JohnF:

Wrong. I did see myself processing the maid visas in US embassy but it's when you know people and you are recommended well. In each country US embassy have the local group of recommended maids and if the diplomat likes the maid or nanny work, they have this option to bring her to the states. Other rich people does it too but it's not announced, you can't apply by yourself.

Key word. DIPLOMATS. they are not subject to US law. Rich people are. Again, it doesn't matter who you know, it's not happening. Even look at the Trumps.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by hammed71(m): 9:24am On May 17, 2019
Guys am just thinking if congress manages to approve trump new merit based immigration bill, when will it be effective is it immediately or the next year
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Dremca(m): 9:36am On May 17, 2019
Congress can't pass that bill without DACA being included.
hammed71:
Guys am just thinking if congress manages to approve trump new merit based immigration bill, when will it be effective is it immediately or the next year

2 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by hammed71(m): 10:01am On May 17, 2019
Dremca:
Congress can't pass that bill without DACA being included.
and as usual, daca isn't included.let's see how it goes
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 2:46pm On May 17, 2019
democrat101:
Good Day everyone! there's this American woman (First Class citizen) I've known for years now. It never occurred to me to discuss traveling with her since I was still in school all those years and doing well plus things was still better off in Nig a little.
fast-forward to now that I'm done with nysc plus finding job been difficult, the current situation of the country and so on. I then informed of my plans to come over to the US to work since I don't have enough funds to go via student route.
She suggested she is going to get me a nanny job (ps I'm a guy) reason been that that's the best way to get me in. she said she's going to convince a rich American Family to sponsor me on work visa etc.
After she told me all this I came online to verify but I didn't see any thing of such kind of visa (nanny work visa) so I need you all to help me shed light to this. Thank you all

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2019/05/us-visa-system-skilled-migrants/589615/

Read that article to understand more about work visas
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Thedream1900: 6:44pm On May 17, 2019
SirWahl1:
Hey fam, Has anyone uses or uses WorldRemit mobile money App to transfer money to Nigeria here? How realiable is it please. Boss revolution is giving me issues. Or if you know any reliable money app kindly let me know

I use "wave" there is no transaction fee and the exchange rates make sense to me. Wave is better than xoom (according to me) in terms of exchange rates and transaction fees.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 7:48pm On May 17, 2019
Thedream1900:

I use "wave" there is no transaction fee and the exchange rates make sense to me. Wave is better than xoom (according to me) in terms of exchange rates and transaction fees.

I'll give it a shot then. I love the speed of Xoom but if wave is just as fast...
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Thedream1900: 8:22pm On May 17, 2019
radautoworks:

I'll give it a shot then. I love the speed of Xoom but if wave is just as fast...

Wave is instant as well. Though your first transaction might undergo verification process, which you can clear up in few minutes by calling their number to confirm your identity. To me every dollar/naira matters, so I always go for the best deal.

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nig4Greatness: 1:49am On May 18, 2019
radautoworks:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/qz.com/africa/1618935/us-cancels-dropbox-visa-interview-waiver-in-nigeria/amp/

"The suspension also comes one month after news that Trump administration has been considering new immigration measures to impose visa restrictions on countries whose citizens have a track record of overstaying beyond the validity of their short-term US visas. Nigeria accounted for the third highest number of US visa overstays last year."

Nigerians. Give us an inch...

I don't think this has anything to do with visa overstay.in contrast,dropbox is an indication they didn't abuse their visa conditions.
I believe it's more of revenue drive.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by SirWahl1: 2:00am On May 18, 2019
Thedream1900:

Wave is instant as well. Though your first transaction might undergo verification process, which you can clear up in few minutes by calling their number to confirm your identity. To me every dollar/naira matters, so I always go for the best deal.

I will give it a shot too. Been using WorldRemit since bossmoney gave me issues. The rate could go up to as much as $20 and as low as $5.
So am definitely going to try out wave next time.

Every dollar counts
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nig4Greatness: 2:19am On May 18, 2019
Trump the clown......proposing another immigration plan.the feat he couldn't achieve through a United Congress his hoping to get through a divided Congress.
As laudable some of the proposals may appear,his personality and antecedents have already made it dead on arrival.

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 5:28am On May 18, 2019
Nig4Greatness:

I don't think this has anything to do with visa overstay.in contrast,dropbox is an indication they didn't abuse their visa conditions.
I believe it's more of revenue drive.

Hey! Been a minute. Did you read the full article?
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 6:01am On May 18, 2019
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nig4Greatness: 8:42am On May 18, 2019
radautoworks:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-immigration-wages-working-class_n_5cdecc1ee4b00735a915c8dc

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/trump-immigration-border-strategy-cruel-dumb-836585/

Trump - GOP hypocrisy..his in-laws enjoyed the benefit of family based immigration system and so many others.
They continuously accuse immigrants of taking up their jobs,those low skill jobs but now want to bring in those professionals to take up their overly skilled jobs.these guys are confused.Why is Trump taking up this contentious battle at this time when election campaign is about heating up??.he better watch it,it may be his greatest albatross.

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 5:58pm On May 18, 2019
hello fellow nairalanders, my dad (a u.s citizen) filed for me to come over to the usa. the petition was approved , i have had the interview at the embassy. i was told that i will only be given the visa if i can get an additional joint sonsor because his income was insufficient due to his arthritis (it has been difficult to find someone to help support) . please if any good Samaritan wants to help me by being a joint sponsor. im a responsible young lady i plan to study nursing and later go on to medical school when i get to the u.s . youl never regret helping me out. Please il be extremely grateful and God will reward you..
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 12:52am On May 19, 2019
Lolu01:
hello fellow nairalanders, my dad (a u.s citizen) filed for me to come over to the usa. the petition was approved , i have had the interview at the embassy. i was told that i will only be given the visa if i can get an additional joint sonsor because his income was insufficient due to his arthritis (it has been difficult to find someone to help support) . please if any good Samaritan wants to help me by being a joint sponsor. im a responsible young lady i plan to study nursing and later go on to medical school when i get to the u.s . youl never regret helping me out. Please il be extremely grateful and God will reward you..

That's a tough sell and is technically illegal. Could potentially put the person's status in jeopardy. Does your father not have people who are actually connected to him and not strangers on a forum??

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 2:24pm On May 19, 2019
its not illegal . anyone can help. its Just filling of an affidavit of support form to, just like a guarantor. sometimes strangers are more willing to help than people we know.
radautoworks:

That's a tough sell and is technically illegal. Could potentially put the person's status in jeopardy. Does your father not have people who are actually connected to him and not strangers on a forum??
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 2:27pm On May 19, 2019
Lolu01:
its not illegal . anyone can help. its Just filling of an affidavit of support form to, just like a guarantor. sometimes strangers are more willing to help than people we know.
and its not going to affect the person's status whatsoever. I can also lend a helping hand to the person when I get there.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 4:23pm On May 19, 2019
Lolu01:

Oh, it's a lot more than that. You obviously don't know what you are asking.

By being a sponsor, you are saying you know and vouch for that person which is perjury. That person is tied to you almost permanently and your actions after then. You are responsible for that person's presence from that day forward. Commit a crime, guess whose house they go looking. Anything comes up, guess whose life they dig into.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/fiance-marriage-visa-book/chapter3-5.html

Let's take a look at the legal implications of the Form I-864 Affidavit of Support. Signing one is a serious endeavor that should not be done lightly or with anything less than full trust in the immigrant's intentions. You should also attempt to read all the instructions that come with the form.

If you are the main sponsor, you might not have to fill out the long version of the form. Some sponsors get to use a considerably simpler Form I-864EZ rather than the Form I-864. If you are sponsoring only one immigrant, all your income comes from earnings or a retirement plan are shown on a W-2, and your income alone is enough to satisfy the required Poverty Guidelines levels, be sure to use this easier form! (For information on how much income you will need, see How Much Income an Immigrant's Sponsor Needs to Show According to the Poverty Guidelines.)

The U.S. Family Sponsor’s Obligations
The Form I-864 Affidavit of Support is a legally enforceable contract, meaning that either the government or the sponsored immigrant can take the sponsor to court if the sponsor fails to provide adequate support to the immigrant. In fact, the law places more obligations on the sponsor than on the immigrant—the immigrant could decide to quit a job and sue the sponsor for support.

When the government sues the sponsor, it can collect enough money to reimburse any public agencies that have given public benefits to the immigrant. When the immigrant sues, he or she can collect enough money to bring his or her income up to 125% of the amount listed in the U.S. government’s Poverty Guidelines (as shown in the chart in Form I-864P).

The sponsor’s responsibility lasts until the immigrant becomes a U.S. citizen, has earned 40 work quarters credited toward Social Security (a work quarter is about three months, so this means about ten years of work), dies, or permanently leaves the United States. If the immigrant has already been living in the U.S. and earned work credits before applying for the green card, those count toward the 40.

In fact, in marriage-based cases, work done by the U.S. petitioning spouse during the marriage can be counted toward these 40 quarters.

Even a bankruptcy does not necessarily end your I-864 obligations. Although most debts and contractual obligations are dischargeable in bankruptcy, so-called “domestic support obligations” are one exception. Such obligations are defined as alimony, maintenance, or support owed to or recoverable by one’s spouse, former spouse, or child. Under U.S. court decisions—for now—these also include I-864 support obligations.

caution

CAUTION

A sponsor in a marriage-based case remains legally obligated even after a divorce. Yes, a divorced immigrant spouse could decide to sit on a couch all day and sue the former spouse for support. (See Does I-864 Really Force Me to Support Immigrant Ex-Spouse Who Has Plenty of Money or Can Work?) The sponsor may wish to have the immigrant sign a separate contract agreeing not to do this, but it is not clear whether courts would enforce such a contract.

Who Can Serve as an Immigrant's Financial Sponsor
The person petitioning the immigrant and any additional financial sponsor(s) must meet three requirements to serve in this role. Each sponsor must be:

a U.S. citizen, national, or permanent resident
at least 18 years of age, and
live in the United States or a U.S. territory or possession.
As a practical matter, of course, the sponsor will have to doing well financially to get the immigrant approved for a green card. Even if the sponsor’s income and assets are lower than the Poverty Guidelines demand, however, he or she must sign an Affidavit of Support. But in a case of low income, the sponsor will have to look for additional sponsors to help the foreign-born person immigrate.

Alternatively, a sponsor might be able to bring his or her income up to the required level—rather than rely on a joint sponsor—by adding the would-be immigrant’s income to his or her own. This is only possible, however, if the would-be immigrant’s income will continue from the same source after he or she gets the green card.

Take particular note of the third requirement above if both the sponsor and the would-be immigrant are presently living overseas. The consulate will require that the sponsor show either that this is a temporary absence and that the sponsor has maintained ties to the U.S., or that he or she intends to reestablish domicile in the U.S. no later than the date that the immigrant is admitted as a permanent resident. Some of the ways the sponsor can show having maintained ties to the U.S. include having paid state or local taxes, kept U.S. bank accounts, kept a permanent U.S. mailing address, or voted in U.S. elections.

cautionCAUTION

Sponsors who try to run away from their obligations will face fines. The U.S. government has anticipated that some sponsors might try to escape their financial obligation by simply moving and leaving no forwarding address. That’s why the law says that the sponsor must report a new address to USCIS on Form I-865 within 30 days of moving. A sponsor who does not comply faces fines of between $250 and $2,000; or $5,000 if the sponsor knows the immigrant has collected need-based public benefits.

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/affidavit-support
Responsibilities as a sponsor
If the individual you sponsored receives any "means-tested public benefits," you are responsible for repaying the cost of those benefits to the agency that provided them. If you do not repay the debt, the agency can sue you in court to get the money owed. Any joint sponsors or household members whose income is used to meet the minimum income requirements are also legally responsible for financially supporting the sponsored immigrant.

this is America not Nigeria. Should anything happen, the government WILL come for your sponsor or their assets.

NB: so this is not illegal but could open a huge can of worms. I hope you are blessed enough to find someone willing to put all their assets on the line for a stranger which begs my previous question- does your father not have anyone over there? Why are you the one looking on an online forum or is there more you are not saying? If someone is going to do something of this magnitude they would want to know

4 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Tosin620: 11:07pm On May 20, 2019
Hi all,
My husband and I just got our NVC paper work approved for CR1 May 3rd and still haven't gotten an interview appointment date yet. Has anyone else who finalized their paperwork in March, April, or May received an appointment date yet? If so, what date did they give? This wait for an interview date is killing me! Any help is appreciated.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 3:46pm On May 23, 2019
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Babyvet: 7:35pm On May 29, 2019
Nig4Greatness:
Trump the clown......proposing another immigration plan.the feat he couldn't achieve through a United Congress his hoping to get through a divided Congress.
As laudable some of the proposals may appear,his personality and antecedents have already made it dead on arrival.

I don’t like the plan and don’t think it’s going to work for America because it not working for Canada. Look at this first guys post on quora who hold PR in both Canada and the US, his posts sums it perfectly on why it would not work.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-advantages-and-disadvantages-of-merit-based-green-card-system-proposed-by-trump
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Beautyaddy: 8:35pm On May 29, 2019
Babyvet:

I don’t like the plan and don’t think it’s going to work for America because it not working for Canada. Look at this first guys post on quora who hold PR in both Canada and the US, his posts sums it perfectly on why it would not work.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-advantages-and-disadvantages-of-merit-based-green-card-system-proposed-by-trump

The guy is somewhat contradicting himself

He stated that he has permanent residence of both Canada and the US(still doubting how possible that is ) and at the same he mentions that he continues to live in the US with a temporary US work visa. If he really has a US green card as he claims then there would not have been the need for him to also have a temporary US work visa.

He was able to tell us how he acquired his Canadian permanent residency but failed to mention how he got his US green card...hmmm!
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Babyvet: 9:14pm On May 29, 2019
Beautyaddy:

The guy is somewhat contradicting himself

He stated that he has permanent residence of both Canada and the US(still doubting how possible that is ) and at the same he mentions that he continues to live in the US with a temporary US work visa. If he really has a US green card as he claims then there would not have been the need for him to also have a temporary US work visa.

He was able to tell us how he acquired his Canadian permanent residency but failed to mention how he got his US green card...hmmm!

Go and read his post, carefully , he was on work visa in the us when he applied for PR in Canada , through the skilled worker program. Was granted PR but came back to the us due to not finding skilled work in Canada.

2 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 11:23am On May 30, 2019
Babyvet:

in my opinion, i think the guy is talking from the immigrant point of view, someone also wrote that canada have been using the merit based system for almost 50 years now and it worked for them.

in my opinion, the merit system that has been the way to get top-notch immigrant but come to think of it, who opens their door fully for immigrant to just work in and get jobs, if immigrants get all the jobs will the citizens who suppose to get preferential treatment in their country not revolt and make the president resigns( a political catastrophe for his party)

In my opinion, to get top-notch immigrant that can compete in the 21st century especially since the developed world will soon enter the 4th industrial revolution, you need a merit-based system to get the best

also, the merit-based system helps in national security issues, through family ties, a potential terrorist could invite his terrorist family and cause trouble in the US, with the merit base system the risk is reduced, you are getting professionals not any type of people, I guess the merit-based system has made Canada safer than the US.

I think, merit based system is the best system and it will work perfectly because it provides the tools needed to have a developed society, the only hindrance to the system is the democratic party, will they support the bill,and also what will trump concede to allow them pass the bill, another thought is politicians do not think about whether a system will work or not, they think about what their voters base wants so that they can be re-elected.

3 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Babyvet: 4:13pm On May 30, 2019
thebosstrevor:

in my opinion, i think the guy is talking from the immigrant point of view, someone also wrote that canada have been using the merit based system for almost 50 years now and it worked for them.

in my opinion, the merit system that has been the way to get top-notch immigrant but come to think of it, who opens their door fully for immigrant to just work in and get jobs, if immigrants get all the jobs will the citizens who suppose to get preferential treatment in their country not revolt and make the president resigns( a political catastrophe for his party)

In my opinion, to get top-notch immigrant that can compete in the 21st century especially since the developed world will soon enter the 4th industrial revolution, you need a merit-based system to get the best

also, the merit-based system helps in national security issues, through family ties, a potential terrorist could invite his terrorist family and cause trouble in the US, with the merit base system the risk is reduced, you are getting professionals not any type of people, I guess the merit-based system has made Canada safer than the US.

I think, merit based system is the best system and it will work perfectly because it provides the tools needed to have a developed society, the only hindrance to the system is the democratic party, will they support the bill,and also what will trump concede to allow them pass the bill, another thought is politicians do not think about whether a system will work or not, they think about what their voters base wants so that they can be re-elected.

Oga , I don’t understand all that story you wrote . The guy explained clearly his reasoning, I would value his opinion more as he immigrated both to Canada and US . Who else will determine if the system work ? Is it not the immigrant that passes through it?

2 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 4:47pm On May 30, 2019
Babyvet:

Oga , I don’t understand all that story you wrote . The guy explained clearly his reasoning, I would value his opinion more as he immigrated both to Canada and US . Who else will determine if the system work ? Is it not the immigrant that passes through it?

wait! you write like someone that is not bright, so someone that is not an immigrant can not have an opinion about immigration..lol..so only immigrants can determine if an immigration system will work or not, it seems you mean the lawmakers and experts making the immigration laws don't know what they are doing, only immigrant know if immigration system will work or not......very funny and dense opinion

do you think people that set up a system dont know what works for their country, or do you think they needed an immigrant view of point for them to make immigration laws. immigration laws are set up by experts and do not care about feelings and emotions of an immigrant what matters to the lawmakers is having an economic advantage by using skilled immigrant labour

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by hammed71(m): 6:43pm On May 30, 2019
here we go again

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) ... (73) (Reply)

Port Harcourt Lockdown: What I Saw Around The City Yesterday- PICTURES / The Following Countries Are Visa-free For Nigerian Passport Holders / The Crystal Service immigration Scam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.