Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,101 members, 7,825,487 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:49 PM

Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month (63234 Views)

Dangote Plans Fuel Exports To Europe, Others / Badagry Market Where Dried Snakes Are Sold / Symbol Exports First Zinc From Nigeria Mine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by docadams: 5:29pm On Aug 16, 2018
Authorities of the Snakebite Treatment and Research Centre, Kaltungo in Gombe state, have revealed that over 400 snakes of different varieties are being exported from the centre to Liverpool in England every month..The snakes packaged. Dr. Abubakar Ballah, Officer in charge of centre, who made the disclosure to newsmen in Kaltungo on Thursday, said the snakes exported served as raw material for the production of anti-snake venom.

“The manufacturers extract the venom from the snakes to produce the drugs,” he said. He said the raw material provided for the processing of the anti-snake venom made the drugs cheaper in Nigeria when compared with countries that did not supply raw material for its production Ballah said countries that do not supply the raw material were buying a single vial of the drug at the cost of 1,900 USD, which is equivalent to N684, 000 while the same drug in Nigeria is N35, 000

According to him, the same drug in the United States for rattle snake that undergoes the same process of production costs between N7million and 8 million, which is very expensive. He said the Centre engaged people within Kaltungo and its environs to catch the snakes and package same, at the cost of between N500 and N1, 000 per snake, depending on the size of the reptile. The officer in charge said the snakes were usually taken to Abuja from Kaltungo, from where they are packaged and exported to England. “On arrival in England, they will undergo some screening to ensure they have not suffered because Animal Rights Organisations are on the watch; after following the process, drug production commences,” he said.

Kaltungo town in Kaltungo Local Government Area of Gombe, popularly called the ‘Snake Haven’ lies within the Snake belt region of Northern Nigeria, and is known for its abundance of different species of snakes. The common species found in the area are Carpets Viper, Puff Adder and Cobra. (NAN)

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/08/we-export-over-400-snakes-to-england-every-month-gombe-centre/

4 Likes

Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by simi4me(m): 5:32pm On Aug 16, 2018
Lol
Wow FTC for the first time.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by donbachi(m): 5:36pm On Aug 16, 2018
Hahahahahaha! gombe state no go fit kill me...abeg make i enter bush,go find snakes catch.weda dem go buy...since exportation of snakes don turn business...naim we dey here,dey chop our own...can u imagine.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by hardywaltz(m): 5:37pm On Aug 16, 2018
No kin business when no dey this world

26 Likes

Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by 12Monkeys: 5:38pm On Aug 16, 2018
Between Gombe and Adamawa, I dont which has the highest snakes.

3 Likes

Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by dlondonbadboy: 5:39pm On Aug 16, 2018
I want to start exportation of zombies...how lucrative is it?

114 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by diebuhari1: 5:39pm On Aug 16, 2018
Bhuhari is one of the snakes, the only difference is that it's from Katsina not Gombe.

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by Minjim: 5:40pm On Aug 16, 2018
Snake biz, good biz
Lala...over to you

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by Dreamkiller: 5:47pm On Aug 16, 2018
snake market is booming. courtesy of APC. President Buhari is working. "Sai Baba"

6 Likes

Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by docadams: 5:49pm On Aug 16, 2018
Lalasticala, come and see the gold mine you have been helping to decimate.I am also guilty. I plundered in hundreds.
FP to promote snake export

8 Likes

Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by trapQ: 5:53pm On Aug 16, 2018
grin
Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by biafranqueen: 5:53pm On Aug 16, 2018
Good for them, at least they are hustling. Where unemployment is the highest ever I am proud of them coming up with a way to not only make clean cash but even saving lives.
I was watching a video about cockroach farms in China, they use them for some type of medicine in the pharmaceutical industry, but people are making loads of money. All these graduates without jobs need to look into alternative ways to make money off the land.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by frowland(m): 5:53pm On Aug 16, 2018
Interesting, I watched a program few weeks ago where some people were crying that there were no anti venom vaccines in Nigeria hospitals and that patients are dying left, right and center...ah! government is useless etc etc.
Today again, I am reading a news now that snakes are exported to Europe.
You know what they do to those snakes? They harvest their venom, process it then ship it back to Nigeria and WE BUY for our hospitals. Is this not crazy?
Surprisingly, to make an anti venom is quite easy.
1. Extract the venom
2. Inject it on a life horse
3. Take the blood of the horse after few hours and extract the white blood cells. Hola that is your anti venom med.
4. Ship it back to Africa and pocket your money.
Where are all our industrial microbiologists...and Lab scientists? Waitin una even go school go do? Too many ways to make money but we are all waiting for Npower.

186 Likes 30 Shares

Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by modaink333: 5:54pm On Aug 16, 2018
is today's lalasticlala birthday?
Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by SEONaijaExpert: 5:54pm On Aug 16, 2018
Gombe exporting snakes grin
We good over here. We're exporting something.

1 Like

Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by SolutionMee: 5:54pm On Aug 16, 2018
All thanks to Gombe people representing us well in diaspora

What Super Eagles can't do, Gombe people have done better

Nigerians gat your back
Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by israelmao(m): 5:54pm On Aug 16, 2018
off
Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by Corrinthians(m): 5:54pm On Aug 16, 2018
Lala is their National Union Chairman, South. tongue

2 Likes

Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by steam74: 5:54pm On Aug 16, 2018
How will they ensure the snakes don't go extinct?

4 Likes

Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by fk001(m): 5:54pm On Aug 16, 2018
That local Government is a snake town.
Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by Almaiga: 5:55pm On Aug 16, 2018
Nice one grin

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by MrPresident1: 5:55pm On Aug 16, 2018
Nor be snake Burutai too dey sell for him farm?
Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by Corrinthians(m): 5:55pm On Aug 16, 2018
Almaiga:
Nice one grin
Saraki always looking like a thief. grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by deepwater(f): 5:55pm On Aug 16, 2018
Government will not see this one na

If Na oyel matter, their pricck go just dey stand anyhow

6 Likes

Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by Nobody: 5:56pm On Aug 16, 2018
grin... Lala Right now grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by chuksila(m): 5:56pm On Aug 16, 2018
Snake is such a creepy animal.. I can't handle such pls
Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by DeOTR: 5:57pm On Aug 16, 2018
We call Kaltungo snake island back then. Many cases of snake bites every now and then. Nice Town though. I like the view of Kilang.

3 Likes

Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by BabaIbo: 5:57pm On Aug 16, 2018
See business cheesy
Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by Jaytecq(m): 5:57pm On Aug 16, 2018
For suya abi wetin?

1 Like

Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by Aldebaran(m): 5:58pm On Aug 16, 2018
grin
Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by gbadexy(m): 5:58pm On Aug 16, 2018
The part about animal protection activists screening for signs of abuse got me laughing.
At least they value even animals as much as they value humans.

3 Likes

Re: Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month by donnie(m): 5:58pm On Aug 16, 2018
What of scorpion?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Aishah Ahmad: Profile Of The CBN Deputy Governor / Lady Saves N360k In A Gallon (Photos) / Real Owners Of REMITA- System Specs Company

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.