Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,811 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:42 PM

We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage (31831 Views)

Pay Us Our January Salaries, Nigerian Federal Workers Lament / Wike Mocks Buhari Over Insecurity: You Were Not Elected Just To Obtain Loans / Osinbajo, Others Meeting On Minimum Wage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by ofuonyebi: 9:26pm On Aug 16, 2018
useless governors....now that some of you have not paid workers salaries for the past 2-yrs..can you tell the whole world

what you have done with the monthly allocation of the peoples funds...thieves, rouges & robbers in sheep garments!
Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by SeedofDavid: 9:26pm On Aug 16, 2018
when they were campaigning they were screaming 'WE WILL PAY SALARIES', oya pay the salary them wan begin stammer.
Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by yahmohy27: 9:27pm On Aug 16, 2018
May God Almighty help our leaders to double up to our expectations
Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by 2flash: 9:27pm On Aug 16, 2018
politicians the make noise but seriously am tired of being to offices in search of job please I no say dash me money oo na loan of N1m with NYSC certificate as collateral make I start my business ooo nobody de give me but God dey
Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by bixton(m): 9:28pm On Aug 16, 2018
What exactly does a governor do that he enjoys all those benefits?

Any governor who cannot pay the #18,000 minimum wage is not fit to be called a governor.

Any governor who cannot pay a minimum of #35,000 for the lowest cadre of staff in the civil service in his state should have his head thoroughly examined.

2 Likes

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by blujoi(m): 9:29pm On Aug 16, 2018
Bladderdash!! See rubbish talk! You were not elected to pay salaries, but you wont cut down your security vote, you wont cut down on the plethora of aides and SA that you appoint left right and center. Shebi in Kano we had SA in charge of grave yard matters or so? You wont cut down on travel estacode you apportion to yourself and your family. You wont cut down on pursuing elephant projects which all of you use to siphon money, abi? At the end of your tenure you will still collect a life time pension that is 300% of your salary! Bunch of fool.s!!!

You will prefer to not pay workers their due and embezell the state coffers. Majority of these governors have no idea on harnessing thee potentials in their state to generate income. After they have left office you start to hear the humongous amounts of money they stole! Retards!!! I no blame una!

2 Likes

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by saifuhot: 9:29pm On Aug 16, 2018
Intellectual Truth!!!! I know most people here will just read the headline and start to comment through the nyash... especially my Eastern brethren.
You expect something like despite the oyeel money this hausa people are Nigerians problem or I blame the oyibo amalgamation. my dear friends oyeel belongs to the southerners we are all benefactors
Newsmania:
Governors under the auspices of the Nigerian Governors Forum (NGF) say they were not voted into power to pay salaries alone but also to provide good roads, electricity, education and other necessary amenities.

The Chairman of the Nigerian Governors Forum, Abdulaziz Yari, has spoken out on the ongoing negotiation for a new national minimum wage after a meeting of the governors of the 36 states of the federation on Wednesday night in Abuja.

According to Tribune, the Governor of Zamfara state, told reporters that the governors want the national income to be examined over the last 14 years so that its exact position can be determined.
The NGF chairman regretted that states government have been limited to only the payment of salaries and unable to take care of development responsibilities in other sectors such as health, electricity, education, among others.

He said that the governments have no magic to meet the expectations of the people if they do not have the required funds.
On minimum wage, Yari said: “We have a committee of six which represented us in discussions in the committee headed by Labour minister. The committee is yet to give us the final report.

"When they give us the final report, for which they have our mandate to present our position, and the position most likely is to look at the record of up to 14 years.
“For instance, in global practice, in your income, how much are you spending as salary? So that we can start from there. They have given us an interim report, that at the of the federal government level, over 82 per cent is being spent on overhead which cannot move the country forward in terms of infrastructure development and development that we need now.

“So, on our own part, we are saying we are going to look at how our income is trained from our final account from 14 years ago so that we can come up and stay in the middle.
“I don’t think you people voted us for only to pay salaries. You are looking for good roads, electricity, education and others. So, we can’t do magic. It’s only when we have the funds do all those things.”

Speaking against the backdrop of the freezing of Akwa Ibom and Benue states government accounts by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Yari said that even President Muhammadu Buhari will not support the illegalities perpetrated by the agencies.
He said: “We believe strongly that the government of President Muhammadu Buhari will not sit down and supervise this illegality in the system.

“What we are saying is that we all support the government to fight corruption because it is endemic and has suffered the nation for over six decades. Definitely, it was part of what we discussed.
“What we are saying now is that we are going to support the government in terms of what it is doing to fight corruption, but the due process must be respected in whatever action the agencies are going to take in the name of fighting corruption.”

From Zenithnaija.com

More below:

https://zenithnaija.com/we-werent-elected-just-to-pay-salaries-nigerian-governors-on-minimum-wage/

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by IamAirforce1: 9:30pm On Aug 16, 2018
cosmatika:
Ngige said the new minimum wage will start dis August. Hope dey don't want to shift d goal post?

Ngige never said said

He only said the FG would announce new minimum wage September ending .
Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by AreaFada2: 9:31pm On Aug 16, 2018
seunmsg:

I reason with them. It's so hard for many states at the moment to pay 18k minimum wage and labour is now advocating for 56k. How will they cope?

In my opinion, the principle of federalism that we all like talking about should be applied. Each states should be allowed to determine whatever it has the capacity to pay based on negotiations with state chapters of organized labour. If we are to wait till all states concur to the proposed new minimum wage, we may have to wait till eternity. NLC and TUC should conclude negotiations with federal government and let implementation start at the federal level.
The states are way too many and most are not viable. If Lagos, Rivers, AK, Delta were to provide even a second-world standard (Russia, China, Turkey, etc) of services to their residents, they world be nonviable. Much less states with less allocation/IGR.

Time has come to face reality. Indebted states cannot develop. We are duplicating executive govt 36 times PLUS FG. A regional and LG system of government will do us better. Instead of 6 governors in Niger Delta or North-East, we need just one premier & deputy and one EXCO. LG will do the rest.
As it is right now, states will keep spending most of the budget on recurrent expenditure. Is that how we are going to develop? shocked shocked

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by Ugo4hotish(m): 9:31pm On Aug 16, 2018
seunmsg:

I reason with them. It's so hard for many states at the moment to pay 18k minimum wage and labour is now advocating for 56k. How will they cope?

In my opinion, the principle of federalism that we all like talking about should be applied. Each states should be allowed to determine whatever it has the capacity to pay based on negotiations with state chapters of organized labour. If we are to wait till all states concur to the proposed new minimum wage, we may have to wait till eternity. NLC and TUC should conclude negotiations with federal government and let implementation start at the federal level.
Tho it is true that not all states have the capacity to pay a uniform minimum wage, but it's like you dey chop belle full abi
do you know that N19.8k is no longer sustainable with the present economy of Nigeria.... not to talk of a man who hope to save and attain self development. imagine a security man with kids in school who's earning 19k.

if governors are allowed to determine minimum wages of their respective states, people like Rochas will not consider the cost of living in IMO, and would settle for the very low minimum wage which may not be up to 5k.
GOVERNORS ARE CROOKS!

MY BROTHER NEVER TRUST POLITICIANS

3 Likes

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by patrickcollins: 9:31pm On Aug 16, 2018
SolutionMee:
Reasonable points up there

Most civil servants in Nigeria are too dependent on either their state/federal government

Work ethics shouldn't be like that

People should be exposed that they have to make alternative income

Which in the long run will prevent them from being too dependent on their salary

They can venture into farming, snail breeding, cattle rearing, food hawking and so on

Laziness is when you depend on a single source of income

Laziness is when you depend on your salary alone

It's aftereffect was what makes people to clamor for change and increments of salary

The Governors are trying cuz even when I was the class representative of my class in Harvard University, it wasn't easy controlling the affairs of students in my class. I ended up spending several fees that was meant for my fellow students. And for these Governors to be paying their state workers, they are trying and I really commend them on that.

With the present economic meltdown that recently befell Nigeria, I wasn't expecting the federal government to be discussing about minimum wage

And that's if the workers are even competent enough to deserve one
What are you saying, but they gift state money to who ever they deem fit, send their children abroad for good education, seek health services outside the country, but workers are now lazy because they are asking for their right, when you were class representative in that your harvard you would have given way for another since you were incompetent, with this your reasoning I doubt you ever went to harvard.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by sunisonflex29(m): 9:33pm On Aug 16, 2018
can someone ask for my account number to transfer just 2k...school hunger want to kill a brother. please.
Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by Ugo4hotish(m): 9:34pm On Aug 16, 2018
SolutionMee:

Most civil servants in Nigeria are too dependent on either their state/federal government

Which in the long run will prevent them from being too dependent on their salary

They can venture into farming, snail breeding, cattle rearing, food hawking and so on

It's aftereffect was what makes people to clamor for change and increments of salary

The Governors are trying cuz even when I was the class representative of my class in Harvard University, it wasn't easy controlling the affairs of students in my class. I ended up spending several fees that was meant for my fellow students. And for these Governors to be paying their state workers, they are trying and I really commend them on that.

With the present economic meltdown that recently befell Nigeria, I wasn't expecting the federal government to be discussing about minimum wage

only a negligent Yoruba man who wants to look civilized to other Nigerians will myopicly support politicians like a rabbit in the day time........... big fool

2 Likes

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by Josh75(m): 9:46pm On Aug 16, 2018
Newsmania:
Governors under the auspices of the Nigerian Governors Forum (NGF) say they were not voted into power to pay salaries alone but also to provide good roads, electricity, education and other necessary amenities.

The Chairman of the Nigerian Governors Forum, Abdulaziz Yari, has spoken out on the ongoing negotiation for a new national minimum wage after a meeting of the governors of the 36 states of the federation on Wednesday night in Abuja.

According to Tribune, the Governor of Zamfara state, told reporters that the governors want the national income to be examined over the last 14 years so that its exact position can be determined.
The NGF chairman regretted that states government have been limited to only the payment of salaries and unable to take care of development responsibilities in other sectors such as health, electricity, education, among others.

He said that the governments have no magic to meet the expectations of the people if they do not have the required funds.
On minimum wage, Yari said: “We have a committee of six which represented us in discussions in the committee headed by Labour minister. The committee is yet to give us the final report.

"When they give us the final report, for which they have our mandate to present our position, and the position most likely is to look at the record of up to 14 years.
“For instance, in global practice, in your income, how much are you spending as salary? So that we can start from there. They have given us an interim report, that at the of the federal government level, over 82 per cent is being spent on overhead which cannot move the country forward in terms of infrastructure development and development that we need now.

“So, on our own part, we are saying we are going to look at how our income is trained from our final account from 14 years ago so that we can come up and stay in the middle.
“I don’t think you people voted us for only to pay salaries. You are looking for good roads, electricity, education and others. So, we can’t do magic. It’s only when we have the funds do all those things.”

Speaking against the backdrop of the freezing of Akwa Ibom and Benue states government accounts by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Yari said that even President Muhammadu Buhari will not support the illegalities perpetrated by the agencies.
He said: “We believe strongly that the government of President Muhammadu Buhari will not sit down and supervise this illegality in the system.

“What we are saying is that we all support the government to fight corruption because it is endemic and has suffered the nation for over six decades. Definitely, it was part of what we discussed.
“What we are saying now is that we are going to support the government in terms of what it is doing to fight corruption, but the due process must be respected in whatever action the agencies are going to take in the name of fighting corruption.”

From Zenithnaija.com

More below:

https://zenithnaija.com/we-werent-elected-just-to-pay-salaries-nigerian-governors-on-minimum-wage/

But dey are Collecting milions of Naira for their salary and can't avoid to pay just comon minimum wage'''''' what pity!! SMH
Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by Nobody: 9:47pm On Aug 16, 2018
Under GEJ in 2011, minimum wage was increased to 18,000 and till now 90% of Nigerian states aren't paying that minimum wage, some like osun are even paying half salaries n they are here talking about a new minimum wage.

1 Like

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by shatta419: 9:48pm On Aug 16, 2018
chinjo:
But you have money to send your children to school abroad, your girlfriends travels to Dubai for shopping. God go punish all the Governors and Buhari if they say they can't pay salaries.
.Find your patience before I lose mine..
Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by Ibrahimkogi1010: 9:49pm On Aug 16, 2018
itiswellandwell:
Hmmm. As people no see any reasonable infrastructural development nko. Channel that money to salary. They wouldn't mind that they are eating their infrastructural development. It's better to be eaten by the citizens than snake swallowing it. Better for the governor sef. Less noise or complain. Everyone is happy!

Cheap s7 edge. Check my signature.
E tire me my broda our mumu don truly 2much oh nah we giv den chance to de do anyhow sha
Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by henrygale(m): 9:52pm On Aug 16, 2018
When it comes to payment of salaries to workers, they will start reasoning like they have brains. Outside that, it is massive looting and amassing of wealth for themselves and their families.
It is true government is not all about payment of salaries, but I wish they can also apply same to every other aspect of their state's affairs and do the right thing; then you will see that the money for payment of salaries will show up. E.g. instead of looting, they invest appropriate amounts into meaningful projects that can boost the economy of their state which will in return increase their igr and they wouldn't have to depend on federal allocation!

1 Like

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by Mana1227: 9:55pm On Aug 16, 2018
You were also elected to loot and piled up for your great grand children. Nonsense
Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by integrity16(m): 9:55pm On Aug 16, 2018
itiswellandwell:
Hmmm. As people no see any reasonable infrastructural development nko. Channel that money to salary. They wouldn't mind that they are eating their infrastructural development. It's better to be eaten by the citizens than snake swallowing it. Better for the governor sef. Less noise or complain. Everyone is happy!

Cheap s7 edge. Check my signature.
Lol
Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by Senatorfm: 10:01pm On Aug 16, 2018
Hmmmmm

I kept on saying it that the labour unions are not being sincere with their demands.
What's the essence of increment of salary and other items in the market keep increasing in prices.
What would be the fate of those working with private company and those that are jobless when inflation comes after increments.

The labour unions should rather demand accountability and social amenities from the govt that would make things easier for citizenry instead of this nonsense increment of salary.
I'm also a civil servant and I know how many people depending on me. Once they get to know about increment, they too would demand for more, school fees would increase.
This their demand can't even come to reality when some states are owing between 8 to 10 months and you want to increase their problems. Nonsense

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by Glink2018(m): 10:02pm On Aug 16, 2018
seunmsg:

I concur.
Those irresponsible governors will find 102 reasons why they will not increase the salary of workers. But they misappropriate our common wealth at will.
God will judge.
Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by Ibrahimkogi1010: 10:09pm On Aug 16, 2018
blujoi:
Bladderdash!! See rubbish talk! You were not elected to pay salaries, but you wont cut down your security vote, you wont cut down on the plethora of aides and SA that you appoint left right and center. Shebi in Kano we had SA in charge of grave yard matters or so? You wont cut down on travel estacode you apportion to yourself and your family. You wont cut down on pursuing elephant projects which all of you use to siphon money, abi? At the end of your tenure you will still collect a life time pension that is 300% of your salary! Bunch of fool.s!!!

You will prefer to not pay workers their due and embezell the state coffers. Majority of these governors have no idea on harnessing thee potentials in their state to generate income. After they have left office you start to hear the humongous amounts of money they stole! Retards!!! I no blame una!
Na our mumu too much we allow Animal on suit and agbada to rule we humans i sorry for my country
Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by DeOTR: 10:10pm On Aug 16, 2018
SolutionMee:

The real definition of laziness is when Governors depend only on handouts from the Federal Government.
The same logic that applies to the workers also applies to the Governors.
They need to sit up and make money for their states. They're not there for their stomachs.

1 Like

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by holuphisayor(m): 10:11pm On Aug 16, 2018
But Rochas have money for sculpture
Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by NextBuhari: 10:18pm On Aug 16, 2018
Righteousness89:
The Cashflow in Nigeria is Enough not to only pay good Salaries but to pay every Graduate a Monthly stipends of at least 15000.

The Common Wealth of the People is in the hands of a few and until we get that Prophet Elijah that will Distribute the Common wealth evenly.... it will be Story...

Libya wasn't as rich as Nigeria and Every Lebanese fed fat until their current wars
Buhari is already doing a similar thing via SIP
Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by gabe: 10:19pm On Aug 16, 2018
SolutionMee:

All government workers are expected to resume work by 8am and close by 4pm. For 30 years. Where do you fit in a business? Also, note that it is illegal for any civil servant to run another business apart from his official duties. Only other activity allowed is farming.

3 Likes

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by spiritedtete: 10:20pm On Aug 16, 2018
Lazy Nigerian governors.... They don't create.... Only to be collecting...
Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by highbee02: 10:29pm On Aug 16, 2018
[quote author=SolutionMee post=70341921]Reasonable points up there

And that's if the workers are even competent enough to deserve one[/quote

Shut your buccal cavity, it's people like you that will start blaming teachers in public schools who engage in buying and selling to augment their meagre income.

2 Likes

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by highbee02: 10:35pm On Aug 16, 2018
Ugo4hotish:

Tho it is true that not all states have the capacity to pay a uniform minimum wage, but it's like you dey chop belle full abi
do you know that N19.8k is no longer sustainable with the present economy of Nigeria.... not to talk of a man who hope to save and attain self development. imagine a security man with kids in school who's earning 19k.

if governors are allowed to determine minimum wages of their respective states, people like Rochas will not consider the cost of living in IMO, and would settle for the very low minimum wage which may not be up to 5k.
GOVERNORS ARE CROOKS!

MY BROTHER NEVER TRUST POLITICIANS

Another example is the Kwara State government who just announced to be paying #18,000 minimum wage when the labour is clamoring for 56k

1 Like

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by Bluffly: 10:49pm On Aug 16, 2018
seunmsg:

The only reason most find it hard to cope is own to the fact that they are less creative, no system, they steal the little that even comes in
Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by nduehidem(m): 10:52pm On Aug 16, 2018
OGA Governor, paying salary is the most important thing oo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Hope To See My Son, Farouk Abdul Mutallab Again In My Lifetime - Father, Umaru / Ambode Endorses Sanwo-olu, Hamzat As Lagos Next Governor, Deputy (picture) / Air Marshal Nsikak Eduok Is Dead As NAF Mourns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.