Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,782 members, 7,810,044 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:13 PM

5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job (10940 Views)

Still Unable To Download Your N-power Letter? Try This. / 4 Possible Reasons You Aren’t Getting Any Interviews / 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:51am On Aug 17, 2018
Unemployment is a huge problem in Nigeria of today. There just seem not to be enough jobs for the teeming population of graduates and job seekers. It has become the proverbial “many are called few are chosen” thing. There are many graduates that apply for jobs almost every day yet they wonder why they don’t get invited for interviews or aptitude tests. The fact is their countless job applications might have been turned down due to one or more of the following reasons. So what are these obstacles and how can you avoid them as a job seeker?

1. Applying for every available job

To some job seekers, it’s all about quantity. They believe that your chances of getting an invite increases with the number of CVs you send. They tend to care less whether or not they are qualified or eligible for such positions. It’s more of the “try your luck” thing. Interestingly they are surprised that they are not getting invited for interviews and tests.

2. Defeatist mindset

One of the common excuses among Nigerian job seekers who fail in their job search is “you will never get a job until you know somebody”. While it is true that in Nigeria of today who you know matters, I sincerely believe that it is over exaggerated. The average company still offers merit-based employment. No serious company would want to populate her workforce with mediocre. Not everyone on the company’s payroll is a member of the MD’s family or his/her relative. When a candidate fails in his/her efforts to get a job by merit they turn around and lay the blame on their lack of connection.

3. Poor networking skills

Life is all about networking. Networking is one of the most easiest and effective way to get a good job in Nigeria. You would be surprised at the number of vacancies that are not advertised in the public media. How do such companies recruit staff? By referral and word of mouth of course. The good thing here is that the usual crowd that is a common occurrence in the publicized job adverts is non-existent here. So if you do not know how to effectively network, your chances of lingering long in the job market is very high.

4. Reluctance to volunteer or intern

The mindset of the average job seeker is they see job opportunity as a way to make big money. They would most likely turn down an opportunity to volunteer or intern if they are very sure that there will not be any financial reward in it for them. What they however fail to realize is that most companies would prefer a candidate that have volunteered or interned to one without any experience at all. Volunteering is one quick and easy way to gain the much needed work experience that most job seekers are not considering.

5. Inability to make a positive impression during interviews

This is about the major reason why most job seekers do not land the job. You have just a few minutes to make a lasting impression on the minds of your interviewers. Inability to do this will lead to the infamous but common response “you’ll hear from us later” which they never do. Employers are more interested in where and how you can add value to their organization and not everything that you’ve done. Consider an interview as a movie trailer and not a season film.

Have you been seeking a job for a while now without any success? Have you attended job interviews that you were unsuccessful? What do you think are the reasons for such? Please kindly share with us.

SOURCE

1 Like

Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by eezeribe(m): 6:52am On Aug 17, 2018
The main reason is that they studied an irrelevant course in the University...
A course they never knew existed even when they were filling jamb form...
A course they studied because they couldn't get their desired course...
A course they studied just to answer University graduate...
A course they studied because they felt time waits for no one...
A course they studied because they thought education starts and ends in the classroom...

21 Likes

Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by DAntivirus: 6:52am On Aug 17, 2018
6: Not being able to defend your certificate - Most graduates these days know nothing, infact they are simply a disgrace to their certifications. Graduates who couldn't write their projects, had 3rd parties write their CVs and have no idea of the content and can't even defend it. Most have nothing to say in an interview and nothing to show for the years spent withing the 4 walls of a school.

Unemployment is a disease in Nigeria but Unemployability is a wide spreading epidemic!

12 Likes

Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by yjgm(m): 7:08am On Aug 17, 2018
Na wa
Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by Nobody: 7:10am On Aug 17, 2018
6. Your not meant to be a worker your an inventor and a leader no one is on earth to just earn money pay bills and die do what you can ...never believe all this people that condemn you they are not happy inside don’t force yourself to be what your not some people like being slaves with pay some don’t

7 Likes

Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by adewumiopeyemi(m): 7:14am On Aug 17, 2018
Nice one.
Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by sirusX(m): 7:14am On Aug 17, 2018
OP PatrickOkunima ....are you coming from only the position of the candidate cz you didn't list out aspects of the employer

Being recruited by an organization is a two way thing that involves you playing your part and also the recuiter handling their own end

Sometimes you give it all you've got and may never know that the fault was never from you but might be a recuiter with a certain mindset

So, I'd advice you add another number to the list of possibilities so people who aren't informed don't think it's all on them to improve

3 Likes

Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by celestialAgent(m): 7:14am On Aug 17, 2018
Okay, next!
Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by infogenius(m): 7:15am On Aug 17, 2018
The truth is that the job opportunities are very low and the chances of getting that dream job are very slim or near non existent especially under this ailing economy

2 Likes

Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by ednut1(m): 7:15am On Aug 17, 2018
The job applicants outnumber the available jobs. No big deal there. I have friends who cud not get job after 2 -3 interviews and are today making it in farming,cypto and other businesses

1 Like

Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by Cumtroller: 7:16am On Aug 17, 2018
Village People....
Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by Nobody: 7:17am On Aug 17, 2018
Interview na my problem. .
Well e no get as e be..
My day go soon break

1 Like

Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by sammirano: 7:17am On Aug 17, 2018
DAntivirus:
6: Not being able to defend your certificate - Most graduates these days know nothing, infact they are simply a disgrace to their certifications. Graduates who couldn't write their projects, had 3rd parties write their CVs and have no idea of the content and can't even defend it. Most have nothing to say in an interview and nothing to show for the years spent withing the 4 walls of a school.

Unemployment is a disease in Nigeria but Unemployability is a wide spreading epidemic!

Nailed it.

Nigeria education system needs overhauling.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by Rapmoney(m): 7:19am On Aug 17, 2018
solasoulmusic:
6. Your not meant to be a worker your an inventor and a leader no one is on earth to just earn money pay bills and die do what you can ...never believe all this people that condemn you they are not happy inside don’t force yourself to be what your not some people like being slaves with pay some don’t
Poor writing. Have you heard of punctuation marks?

3 Likes

Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by qanda: 7:20am On Aug 17, 2018
Ok
Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by adeoba2008(m): 7:21am On Aug 17, 2018
There are abundant opportunities in Nigeria but most jobs now tends towards IT where some Nigerians are lagging behind.

You really need to consider IT skills in order for you to get your next job.

To learn free IT skills for free. Download CRMNIGRRIA App from Google Playstore or check my signature.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by Strongbest(m): 7:21am On Aug 17, 2018
Well, having a business of your own no matter how small can give you rest of mind too.

If the job comes, good! It will just be an added value.

Something here might interest you, check:

https://www.nairaland.com/1798724/

1 Like

Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by Pavore9: 7:26am On Aug 17, 2018
DAntivirus:

You are so right. Many do not have the competence that their certifications should have guaranteed. You have people with certificates that does not align with their skills.
Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by ebuka10box(m): 7:28am On Aug 17, 2018
all this one na grammar!!!!!! bro nice compilation but the main broken is Nigeria... All the jobs in this country belongs to the connected. if u got no connect or compass in this country, forget it. can't be blaming my cv all the time na, no one is perfect so my cv doesn't have to be 100percent. God will help this country.

1 Like

Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by Nobody: 7:28am On Aug 17, 2018
Rapmoney:
Poor writing. Have you heard of punctuation marks?

As long as people can understand me it doesn’t matter you have poor manners you don’t see me messing with your vibe

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by amansi(m): 7:32am On Aug 17, 2018
Getting a job requires so much upgrading in your skill set and you need to learn how to browse the Internet at a lower cost from the new Data Plans here:
Airtel data plan: https://passmaga.com/airtel-data-plan/

Glo Data Plan: https://passmaga.com/glo-data-plan/

9mobile Data Plan: https://passmaga.com/9mobile-data-plans/

MTN Data Plan: https://passmaga.com/mtn-data-plans/
Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by Nobody: 7:34am On Aug 17, 2018
Might just be a sign you are meant to be an employer not an employee..

Reach inside of you, create a business from your passion, might be difficult seeing friends living the dream while you struggle for every penny, but believe me you would laugh last and longer.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by derrydinny: 7:34am On Aug 17, 2018
op, the chances of you getting a job increases with the number of cvs you submit... hw do you network? will you just wake up and start walking all over the country for network? number 2 and 3 are contradicting

not getting a job is very common, how many jobs are there for graduates? graduates can't force companies to employ them

1 Like

Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by Nobody: 7:34am On Aug 17, 2018
grin Relying solely on what you studied in school and not willing to break out of your comfort zone and learn new skills.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by henryhemon(m): 7:40am On Aug 17, 2018
PatrickOkunima:

SOURCE

This is crap.

1 Like

Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by decollex(m): 7:52am On Aug 17, 2018
PatrickOkunima:

SOURCE

Point No 3 is a take home for me which am working seriously on as I work towards getting a job with an NGO before I bow out to setup my own business.
Weldone Sir.
Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by millionboi(m): 8:02am On Aug 17, 2018
I choosed business over paid employment.

Now na dem dey rush us.

Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by tayotv09(m): 8:08am On Aug 17, 2018
Environmental Factor is one of the problem many job seeker face in Nigeria. most available job are in urban and civilize areas .

1 Like

Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by Darkseid(m): 8:19am On Aug 17, 2018
It's been few months after NYSC and I doubt if I'll send my CV to anyone else. I'm go to start learning a business as an apprentice from now till December after which I'll start mine. To get a 100k job in Nigeria is pretty difficult and it also means it'll take almost three years to buy a tokunbo Camry if you don't spend out of it, and that's not gonna work for me.

1 Like

Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by orlymat: 8:20am On Aug 17, 2018
What about witchcraft factor?
Re: 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job by OgogoroFreak(m): 8:43am On Aug 17, 2018
derrydinny:
op, the chances of you getting a job increases with the number of cvs you submit... hw do you network? will you just wake up and start walking all over the country for network? number 2 and 3 are contradicting

not getting a job is very common, how many jobs are there for graduates? graduates can't force companies to employ them

Exactly!

I needed to employ just 6 persons for a 65k job but over 300 people applied. Now, most of them qualified for the job but surely, I can't employ all of them. So used funny criteria like "the one way I like him face pass" to select.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Npower: All Outstanding September Payment Cleared / How Do I Get To Ikoyi Registry From Ikeja Please! / Please I Need Help To Improve Or Change My Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.