Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,566 members, 7,955,103 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:59 PM

Question About The H-factor. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Question About The H-factor. (1106 Views)

Zombies Should Stop Asking Dumb Question About Colonizers / Question About Yoruba Language / Question About The Word/title Mfumu As It Relates To Nigeria And Central Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Question About The H-factor. by Sinistami(m): 6:52am On Aug 17, 2018
I have this question about the H-Factor. The situation when a person always subtracts H when saying a word starting with H Eg Heart becomes At and adds H when its not there Eg Add becomes Hadd. I wanted to ask if people really think it is only the Yorubas that have it. because I've noticed Folks Non Yoruba folks like folks from Delta Eg Sapele and Warri still subtract H from words starting with it. Don't get me started with folks from Bayelsa especially the Rural areas who seems to loose H everywhere it supposed to be and adds where it's not. Eg Fish turns to Fis Shop turns to Sop. John turns to Zon, Hi turns to Ai, See turns to Shi. They even seem to flat out some words like House, House turns to As or Has. flatining the OU. etc. I was wondering if this is different from the H factor or the same thing. if its same why is it that people always put Yoruba as the main culprits.
Re: Question About The H-factor. by RedboneSmith(m): 7:37am On Aug 17, 2018
Sinistami:
If its same why is it that people always put Yoruba as the main culprits.

Because the Yorubas, being a major ethnic group, are much more visible than the groups you have mentioned here. It is inevitable that they will become everyone's point of reference. This might sound incredible but many Nigerians have never met an Izon person before.

2 Likes

Re: Question About The H-factor. by Sinistami(m): 7:39am On Aug 17, 2018
RedboneSmith:

Because the Yorubas, being a major ethnic group, are much more visible than the groups you have mentioned here. It is inevitable that they will become everyone's point of reference. This might sound incredible but many Nigerians have never met an Izon person before.

OK even though Ijaw is all over the news.
Re: Question About The H-factor. by RedboneSmith(m): 7:47am On Aug 17, 2018
Sinistami:

OK even though Ijaw is all over the news.

Being in the news is different from meeting them in person. If I don't meet them and interact with them, how do I know about the idiosyncracies in their speech? That is not something people usually pick up in the news. The only reason I knew about the 'changing j to z' thing, is because it was in a GS textbook I read in my first year; the rest I am just learning about from your post.

1 Like

Re: Question About The H-factor. by Sinistami(m): 7:57am On Aug 17, 2018
RedboneSmith:

Being in the news is different from meeting them in person. If I don't meet them and interact with them, how do I know about the idiosyncracies in their speech? That is not something people usually pick up in the news. The only reason I knew about the 'changing j to z' thing, is because it was in a GS textbook I read in my first year; the rest I am just learning about from your post.

OK so you're not Ijaw then. Understood.
Re: Question About The H-factor. by meobizy(f): 1:44am On Aug 18, 2018
The second poster is right. It was only in my university days I met someone of Bokkos origin. Everyone else called the person Hausa but since we had a deeper connection the individual revealed it to me.

I knew another who people called Efik but the person told me their true ethnicity and those of the Efik were night and day in comparison. I can’t remember that one’s real tribe. I heard it first on that day and never again almost 12 years later.

I just did a google search and realized there are a lot of ethnic groups I’ll read of in a geography textbook but never come across.

(1) (Reply)

Some Straight Up Facts People Won't Swallow / Izhi Of Ebonyi State Celebrates New Yam Festival / Name Of Domestic Animals In Urhobo Part 1- Odẹ Erhavwe Uwevwi Evun Urhobo Ẹbẹre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.