Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,587 members, 7,816,445 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:21 AM

Purgatory, Limbo, Intermediate States & Biblical, Quoranic & Rational Worldviews - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Purgatory, Limbo, Intermediate States & Biblical, Quoranic & Rational Worldviews (1226 Views)

Is Purgatory In The Bible? / Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare / Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Purgatory, Limbo, Intermediate States & Biblical, Quoranic & Rational Worldviews by DeepSight(m): 4:59pm On Jun 24, 2010
Purgatory is the condition or process of purification or temporary punishment[1] in which the souls of those who die in a state of grace are made ready for Heaven

Intermediate State: In Christian eschatology, the intermediate state or interim state refers to a person's existence between one's death and resurrection. This period is "intermediate" between death and the last judgment.

Limbo: In Catholic theology, Limbo (Latin limbus, edge or boundary, referring to the "edge" of Hell) is a speculative idea about the afterlife condition of those who die in original sin without being assigned to the Hell of the damned. Limbo is not an official doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church or any other. Medieval theologians described the underworld ("hell", "hades", "infernum"wink as divided into four distinct parts: hell of the damned (which some call gehenna), purgatory, limbo of the fathers, and limbo of infants.

(Source: Wiki)

1. Are these concepts identifiable within the biblical worldview?

2. The reference within the Quoran to a temporary taste of hell for all men – could this be a reference to purgatory?

3. Entirely aside from the biblical or quoranic perspectives are the concepts of purgatory, limbo, an intermediate state, and such others not reasonable concepts that can be rationally inferred as being real and apt in the context of an immortal soul?
Re: Purgatory, Limbo, Intermediate States & Biblical, Quoranic & Rational Worldviews by nuclearboy(m): 5:42pm On Jun 24, 2010
Whats your source for all your assertions? The Bible? Definitely NOT! For even your last assertion that these seem reasonable considering the "immortality" of the soul is defeated when the Bible speaks of the "death" of souls.

These are man thought up ideas meant for the selfish purposes of the initiators.
Re: Purgatory, Limbo, Intermediate States & Biblical, Quoranic & Rational Worldviews by DeepSight(m): 5:57pm On Jun 24, 2010
Hi Nuclear.

First i need to make clear that as is patently obvious, i did not come up with these ideas myself. They are centuries old. So please so not attribute them to me.

I would be interested in a discourse on the biblical and quoranic perspectives and I believe that some revelations might surprise you. In terms of the biblical and quoranic perspectives, i do simply wish a healthy productive discussion: you know very well that i do not in any event subscribe to either religion.

In terms of rationality - let me ask you a few questions -

1. Are there any human beings that are perfect

2. If there are none, then it would make sense to suppose that barring grace - none can be so pure or perfect as to dwell in full holiness

3. Given this, is there not a place for atonement. . .could that not be a basis for the concept of purgatory?

You do know that I believe in re-incarnation. "Heaven," "Hell," and "purgatory" for me could well represent a reincarnated lifetime in better, worse, or equal terms as the former lifetime. Just my thoughts though. But i believe that there is no other way that eternity can be apprehended as conscious life by human spirits - save through an eternal succession of finite lifetimes - because infinity itself or eternity itself - i conceive of as something that will render human spiritual consciousness a void of empty meaninglessness which we cannot ever grasp. We are not equipped for that. Only God, or gods may be able to deal with that at a conscious level. I don't know if i properly convery my meaning.

What happens to infants in your worldview? Infants who die? They are not old enough to apprehend the gospel of your christ - much less accept it. Some catholic theologians have placed such beings in the state called "Limbo." I do not know about that. But it seems gravely clear and rational to me that considering the vast differences in human lives, all spirits cannot disengage from this life into the same state. There will be many different states, and i see no reason to exclude the existence of a state of limbo, or a state of purgation. Do you?
Re: Purgatory, Limbo, Intermediate States & Biblical, Quoranic & Rational Worldviews by nuclearboy(m): 6:37pm On Jun 25, 2010
I know you were not the one who dreamed them up, brother. I was just putting forward the Biblical position that souls "can" die.

My problem with discussing the issue with you comes from your ridicule of my belief sstem and (admittedly) mine of yours. I would say Jesus remains the only one who ever was "perfect" to which you'd probably reply with "how can you trust a jewish carpenter based on what others told you". Sadly that would end any meaningful discourse.

So lets leave out the 1st question. To the second - I say yes, grace does the trick. But that grace again is based on Jesus. Your response to that is likely another problem. Purgatory comes from the Catholic Church and cannot be defended from the Bible. With the Bible, it is simple - grace or nothing.

Sorry DeepSight, but I cannot discuss re-incarnation or any issue related to it. I do not subscribe to it and neither does the Bible though a lot would try to force the concept into the Scripture.

Finally, I'm suprised you speak of infants AGAIN. Inesqor dealt with this in an earlier thread I know you saw in which he posited that there exist people who though not aware of the fact, do actually belong to the "Body of Christ". The concept of Love and the Biblical position on such things was explained then. Children would of neccessity be included amongst such.

I will try to find that thread and the specific posts that address your query
Re: Purgatory, Limbo, Intermediate States & Biblical, Quoranic & Rational Worldviews by DeepSight(m): 6:42pm On Jun 25, 2010
What say ye to this -

considering the vast differences in human lives, all spirits cannot disengage from this life into the same state. There will be many different states, and i see no reason to exclude the existence of a state of limbo, or a state of purgation. Do you?
Re: Purgatory, Limbo, Intermediate States & Biblical, Quoranic & Rational Worldviews by nuclearboy(m): 9:04pm On Jun 25, 2010
Good and Bad, Light and Darkness, Male and female, right and left - You get the point. Yet say ye - many states based on vast differences. Where do you find support for this in Nature since the above shows all can be divided into just two categories?

Why ought the Spiritual or you could call it the "afterlife" be different? Why not just Heaven and Hell or better still "Immortal Life" and "Final Death"

(1) (Reply)

Why Did Jesus Say, "the Father Is Greater Than I" (john 14:28)? -12 minute Video / Is Smoking Weed A Sin? / The Sins Or Life Of Man Is In The Blood, Do Not Transfuse Or Eat Blood.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.