Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,527 members, 7,819,896 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:52 AM

Adventures Of Betty - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Adventures Of Betty (413 Views)

The Adventures Of Czar / The Adventures Of A Nigga / STORY: Keeping Up With The Adventures Of Slutty Ngozi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Adventures Of Betty by bookrep: 8:25am On Aug 20, 2018
That afternoon, I remember it was a Tuesday and I had just returned from that yeye bank interview in the Island, when boyfriend buzzed me.

‘Hey babe.’

‘Lover boy..’ I gasped

‘Eeya. Ndo. The bank people wanto kill my baby for me, abi?’

He has this strange sense of humour – it works for me. All the time.

He told me there was this vacant editorial position in Ibadan. I didn’t study English but I know when words are not in their right places. My father is a lover of books, old Warri Lawyer. He loves Shakespeare and Wordsworth and had all of their major books in his library.

Boyfriend sent me the details and the week after, I was in Ibadan for the interview.

After the written exam, about five of us, we were interviewed by a tall dark cute guy, should be in his forties but looked thirty-something.

He asked me several questions from my favourite books to my experience as a book editor. I answered him to the best of my knowledge.

19 days later, I got a call from the Ibadan publishing house to resume as an associate editor. Coming into Ibadan was a new journey and boyfriend asked if I was sure I wanted to leave Lagos for a one-off gig. The way he said one-off gig like as if it was a one night stand. The bar attendant asked if I would take the usual but I ignored him.

After minutes of silence, I picked my bag and walked out of the bar. Abi, what else should I do? Boyfriend never called for weeks, so did I. I sought consolation in my busy schedule at work, learnt how to typeset a book with Adobe In Design and mastered patience when reading the final galley of works going to the press.

‘Who is Uncle Lakin?’ I asked the girls. Both looked at me and returned to their desks as if nothing had been said. As if I was going mad and had the liberty to speak to myself all alone.

It was in the third week of my resumption that I realized why Uncle Lakin was in every girl’s tongue. That morning, I came into office wet and freezing cold. You know one of those strange August rainy days that won’t stop, and the daughter of man has to go to work. Lucky me, my house was just a block away from Kajola junction and I had this cute umbrella that can save the day. I got to the junction and waited for ten minutes before one of those Keke Napep alighted in front of me almost full. By the time I got to University of Ibadan, everywhere was messed up with mud and all sorts. Mehn! I got to the office about 10 minutes late and ran straight to the kitchen to make a cup of hot tea when I saw the tall dark cute looking man that interviewed me weeks ago. For minutes, my tongue was stuck as I continued to stare. Apparently, he was cold as he continued to sip from his cup of tea unaware a daughter of eve was at his back. I immediately turned back to go as I didn’t want him to meet me in this state.

‘Betty, right?’ I heard the voice.

I turned to look at the man all suited up like Prince Harry’s best man.

https://bookrepublic.com.ng/2018/08/05/uncle-lakin/

(1) (Reply)

“I Never Sent To Her” By Mosope Akinrinmade / Vote For A Nairalander In The Union Bank Campus Writing Challenge / The House On The Other Side Of The Street.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.