Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,028 members, 7,818,034 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:40 AM

Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? (15922 Views)

Xiaomi Is The Next Big Phone Brand To Remove The Charger From The Box / My Phone Screen Turns Off During Calls / Airtel Complete List Of Data Plan, Bundles, Subscription Codes And Prices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by enemyofprogress: 10:06am On Aug 21, 2018
DonFreshmoney:

Well, your moniker already exposed yourself. U be enemy of progress.. not everyone here is like u
liar
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by johnmattew: 10:07am On Aug 21, 2018
phones with screen resolution of 1440p like galaxies,mate pro etc zaps data alot.....u can downsize the resolution to 720p to save data.

if u doubt me,download "datally"...open a particular website while the screen is set at maximum resolution of 1440p ,datally will tell u how much mb it consumed.....then set the resolution back to 720p and open the same page,u will see the huge difference in data consumption

I noticed this with my Galaxy note 5,whenever I set the screen resolution to 1440p and screen mode to 'super amoled' ,the data consumed is extremely huge compared to '720' and screen mode to 'basic"

1 Like

Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by monaPhilz: 10:09am On Aug 21, 2018
DonFreshmoney:
I don't care. I spend at least 12k on data every month
bro, abeg share small na. Even na 100mb
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by joyfullyjoyous(f): 10:10am On Aug 21, 2018
The bigger the head,the bigger the headache
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by sureteeboy(m): 10:10am On Aug 21, 2018
frowland:

No you are missing the point entirely by comparing this issue with different type of phone brands.
Lets use same brand of phone and assume you have Samsung 5.0" and Samsung 6.2" with same processor etc etc just difference of wider screen.
Which one uses more data? Both - no difference
Which one uses more energy? - Bigger screen of course.

I guess this answers OP curiosity and yours also?

Thanks.

The point I'm trying to make is, the bigger screen device isn't using more energy just because it has a bigger screen size. It's consuming more battery probably because it has an higher screen resolution than the smaller one
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by Lexusgs430: 10:12am On Aug 21, 2018
DonFreshmoney:

Oga I hail o.... You fit shock me 2GB data?
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by dingbang(m): 10:14am On Aug 21, 2018
I don't think it does...

Meanwhile, esteemed first bank customers, y'all can now perform wonderful transactions on the first mobile app, please click the link on my signature for more details on how to register, thanks .
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by frowland(m): 10:14am On Aug 21, 2018
sureteeboy:

The point I'm trying to make is, the bigger screen device isn't using more energy just because it has a bigger screen size. It's consuming more battery probably because it has an higher screen resolution than the smaller one

Coincidentally, lower resolution means lower power and data consumption.
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by johnmattew: 10:15am On Aug 21, 2018
sureteeboy:

bigger screen. also consume more energy cos it requires more light for better Luminousity... did u notice that a tablet with 720p comes with huge battery when compared to phones with same screen resolution?

1 Like

Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by cyrielo(m): 10:16am On Aug 21, 2018
Offpoint:
It does, from experience.
I don't need to write epistle about it, just simple explanation.

if you download a picture of 1000x1200 and it's 1mb by size.... resize the same picture to 150x150 and see if the size will still be the same...
trying streaming YouTube hd video on 4.5 screen phone and stream same on iPad...you'll see the difference in data consumption.

so your phone screen has a lot to do with your data consumption in times of browsing.

if you use 1gb on 4.5 screen for a week, try using 1gb on iPad for the same purpose for a week, then you'll see the difference.

anyways, web developers will understand better.

For those who still want to ask me silly questions...

COMPRESSION = REDUCTION IN SIZE/QUALITY and THE RESULTS IS LOWER DATA SIZE.
when you screen is small.. Compression steps IN.

Doesn't affect downloaded files o, before you ask me another silly question again
Screen size is different from screen resolution

If the topic was about screen resolution you would've be accurate, but screen size does not affect data consumption.

The screen resolution of my 5.5inch iPhone is bigger than my old 23 inch desktop monitor

1 Like

Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by Xano(m): 10:22am On Aug 21, 2018
Princeofnigeria:
stop saying what you don't know.

I use a 6.2" with a 3500mah sots of 24hrs than your 5.0" and 5000mah lol

BTW: screen sizes doesn't affect your data it's just unfortunate our Network operators are thieves only glo offer accurate data in Nigeria

It would be good to do research on it yourself.

As regards what the op write, its true.
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by iamharkinwaley: 10:26am On Aug 21, 2018
DonFreshmoney:

Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by tiwiex(m): 10:30am On Aug 21, 2018
calddon:
No support to this assertion, it only uses more processing power

A simple analogy. Assuming your laptop screen was the size of your phone. Ridiculous as it sounds, it helps understand the big screen argument. Do you consume more data browsing Naira land for instance on both devices. What about videos? It does make sense but really can't say by how much. I mean a tab loading graphics on a bigger screen should consume more than graphics on a smaller area.
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by sureteeboy(m): 10:44am On Aug 21, 2018
johnmattew:
bigger screen. also consume more energy cos it requires more light for better Luminousity... did u notice that a tablet with 720p comes with huge battery when compared to phones with same screen resolution?
Thanks for the information Bro.
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by gentlegenius(m): 10:49am On Aug 21, 2018
DonFreshmoney:
And how much money do you make every month from all those data you bought?
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by BIXYBABE: 10:50am On Aug 21, 2018
DonFreshmoney:
Uncle where u dey work........Na my monthly salary be dat..........u see life
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by Electronzeez(m): 10:57am On Aug 21, 2018
My simple submission. Phone with the same screen resolution either big or small consume the same amount of data .I have seen bigger screen with smaller resolution and smaller screen with high resolution .i hope this helps .

And browsers are smart to detect screen sizes and resolution ,So they adjust accordingly.
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by johnmattew: 11:01am On Aug 21, 2018
sureteeboy:
Thanks for the information Bro.
welcome boss
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by johnmattew: 11:04am On Aug 21, 2018
frowland:
No it does not. Wider screens consume more energy and NOT more DATA. Its just like asking if those using DSTV on 90" TV and those on 19" TV if its the same data that is streemed to them? Yes its exactly thesame data, but different energy consumtion.
So basically battery of a smaller screen last longer than larger screen counterpart.
the op didn't mention screen size only but screen resolution too...90" screen will come with better resolution than 19" TV .this more data consumption
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by sonofthunder: 11:04am On Aug 21, 2018
Yewandequeen:
It does.

Eg: from the angle of picture and resolution. The data value u will use in loading an image on tecno Y2 is lesser to that of tecno L9 with clearer and quality image.

The higher the resolution on a wider screen the higher ur data and battery consumption and vice versa.
spot on

1 Like

Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by LeeShi: 11:08am On Aug 21, 2018
DonFreshmoney:
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by frowland(m): 11:12am On Aug 21, 2018
johnmattew:
the op didn't mention screen size only but screen resolution too...90" screen will come with better resolution than 19" TV .this more data consumption

While you are right, you are not entirely correct. Samsung S6 and Samsung S6+ both have same resolution right?.... so which one burns data faster?
Same as the 19" and 90" TV which one consumes more DTSV data? If the big one does, so why is DTSV not charging more to those who use larger screens? huh?
You guys keep beating about, without hitting on the main point.
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by OgogoroFreak(m): 11:14am On Aug 21, 2018
Not necessarily the big screen but the pixels

So those using HD phones eats less data than FHD phones which eats less data than 4k or UHD phones.

1 Like

Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by OgogoroFreak(m): 11:20am On Aug 21, 2018
BIXYBABE:

Uncle where u dey work........Na my monthly salary be dat..........u see life
Dey sell your toto join to support yourself.

1 Like

Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by johnmattew: 11:32am On Aug 21, 2018
frowland:

While you are right, you are not entirely correct. Samsung S6 and Samsung S6+ both have same resolution right?.... so which one burns data faster?
Same as the 19" and 90" TV which one consumes more DTSV data? If the big one does, so why is DTSV not charging more to those who use larger screens? huh?
You guys keep beating about, without hitting on the main point.
both phone burn same data but s6+ consume more energy as a result of the extra Luminousity,thus it comes with larger batteries.

I don't understand,does DSTV sell data or is it now a Telecom company like mtn?..... streaming on 90" TV will consume same data with ¹9" TV of they both come with same resolution.. 19" TV will consume more data than 90" TV if it's resolution is higher..90' TV will consume more data if its resolution is higher

mind u u pay for subscription on DSTV not data..

1 Like

Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by johnmattew: 11:32am On Aug 21, 2018
OgogoroFreak:
Dey sell your toto join to support yourself.
so immature of u...too childish
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by frowland(m): 11:36am On Aug 21, 2018
johnmattew:
both phone burn same data but s6+ consume more energy as a result of the extra Luminousity,thus it comes with larger batteries.

I don't understand,does DSTV sell data or is it now a Telecom company like mtn?..... streaming on 90" TV will consume same data with ¹9" TV of they both come with same resolution.. 19" TV will consume more data than 90" TV if it's resolution is higher..90' TV will consume more data if its resolution is higher

mind u u pay for subscription on DSTV not data..

Lol, when you pay 9mobile and MTN its not also called subscription?
Please don't make a joke of yourself here mate, what you watch on TV via Dstv is brought to you via data transmitted on a different spectrum unlike mobile networks- reason you have to pay for it.
There are technicians very close to me who work with multichoice that I can categorically inform you that have access to the port and are browsing and working via this spectrum and its superfast.

2 Likes

Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by johnmattew: 11:43am On Aug 21, 2018
frowland:

Lol, when you pay 9mobile and MTN its not also called subscription?
Please don't make a joke of yourself here mate, what you watch on TV via Dstv is brought to you via data transmitted on a different spectrum.
OMG.....how can u be so ignorant

both of them are airtime or subscription ......but DSTV to sell mb

the best way to educate u is using netflix or sportify.netflix is like dstv but it operate online

u pay (subscription)sportify or Netflix for u to access their services but u pay mtn,glo etc for data to u can access online service of Netflix and sportify...without mtn and glo data I can't watch Netflix and without ssubscribing for Netflix services ur mtn data will not access netflix
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by MicroSweet(m): 11:50am On Aug 21, 2018
DonFreshmoney:
Make I send my account number, Chief.
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by frowland(m): 11:55am On Aug 21, 2018
johnmattew:
OMG.....how can u be so ignorant

both of them are airtime or subscription ......but DSTV to sell mb

the best way to educate u is using netflix or sportify.netflix is like dstv but it operate online

u pay (subscription)sportify or Netflix for u to access their services but u pay mtn,glo etc for data to u can access online service of Netflix and sportify...without mtn and glo data I can't watch Netflix and without ssubscribing for Netflix services ur mtn data will not access netflix

No mate you are getting it all twisted. MTN, glo etc gives you access to the internet of which Netflix is part of it.
MTN to operate needs spectrum rights granted by NCC.
DSTV is a content service alright, but they stream data. You don't need MTN or Etisalat to view this content from dstv. They act as a stop gap, meaning that you don't need to pay MTN but access this contents directly via a decoder.
This feature is possible because they paid for spectrum right and act as data provider so when I pay 16k premium, they unlucky other sites I can watch... Each of this sites/channels means I use up more data and also have access to paid contents depending on how they structure themselves.
The spectrum Dstv is on is different than the ones MTN and etisalate are on and same is with the prices of their licences.
Netflix is NOT an internet service provider but DSTV is. DSTV have variouse ports which is configurable but Netflix is just http/https port 80 and 433. Get this differences very clear.

1 Like

Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by Offpoint: 11:57am On Aug 21, 2018
cyrielo:

Screen size is different from screen resolution

If the topic was about screen resolution you would've be accurate, but screen size does not affect data consumption.

The screen resolution of my 5.5inch iPhone is bigger than my old 23 inch desktop monitor

You're right, what I'm saying is... when you're using phone to access the internet, the level of compression on that phone will not be the same when you're using desktop.

try switching your browser to desktop view and see the amount of data consume...

either way, I'm not saying you're wrong.
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by LordReed(m): 12:08pm On Aug 21, 2018
Offpoint:
It does, from experience.
I don't need to write epistle about it, just simple explanation.

if you download a picture of 1000x1200 and it's 1mb by size.... resize the same picture to 150x150 and see if the size will still be the same...
trying streaming YouTube hd video on 4.5 screen phone and stream same on iPad...you'll see the difference in data consumption.

so your phone screen has a lot to do with your data consumption in times of browsing.

if you use 1gb on 4.5 screen for a week, try using 1gb on iPad for the same purpose for a week, then you'll see the difference.

anyways, web developers will understand better.

For those who still want to ask me silly questions...

COMPRESSION = REDUCTION IN SIZE/QUALITY and THE RESULTS IS LOWER DATA SIZE.
when you screen is small.. Compression steps IN.

Doesn't affect downloaded files o, before you ask me another silly question again

LoL, you are misinterpreting what is happening. Your screen resolution or size has nothing to do with the data you receive. It is all about the protocols and methods you use to connect. Sites like YouTube try to detect your connection quality and attempt to send data streams that give the best experience. You can override and choose either a lower or higher quality stream. I use a full HD screen for example and when I want to save on data while watching YouTube I switch to 144p, the lowest quality, when I don't care about data caps I stream at 1080p. The data size is different even though I am watching the same video on the same screen. This is the same thing that happens with some photo sites especially those that support multiple photo resolutions.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mabudala: New GSM Company In Nigeria / I Need Advice On D Best Etisalat Call Tariff / Itel Unveils Flagship Itel S23+ Smartphone In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.