Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,727 members, 7,955,761 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:30 PM

Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? (16212 Views)

Xiaomi Is The Next Big Phone Brand To Remove The Charger From The Box / My Phone Screen Turns Off During Calls / Airtel Complete List Of Data Plan, Bundles, Subscription Codes And Prices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by Offpoint: 12:20pm On Aug 21, 2018
LordReed:

LoL, you are misinterpreting what is happening. Your screen resolution or size has nothing to do with the data you receive. It is all about the protocols and methods you use to connect. Sites like YouTube try to detect your connection quality and attempt to send data streams that give the best experience. You can override and choose either a lower or higher quality stream. I use a full HD screen for example and when I want to save on data while watching YouTube I switch to 144p, the lowest quality, when I don't care about data caps I stream at 1080p. The data size is different even though I am watching the same video on the same screen. This is the same thing that happens with some photo sites especially those that support multiple photo resolutions.
I don't want to argue brother, I'm not going to say you're wrong. but the first example I gave will explain better. I'm open to new idea though.
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by adanny01(m): 12:36pm On Aug 21, 2018
I have not seen the comment i need.

I have an opinion that screen resolution will have more effect on data than screen size. However, what truely consumes data is the browser or the internet app you are using.

Most browsers will know your device and its screen resolution and adjust what ever image you want to display to adequately display it to your screen resolution. This is basically the reasom why it a computer uses more data viewing the same webpage than a mobile phone.

On the other matter, a bigger screen is directly proportional to more battery consumption. Lighting a 5.0inch screen will take less power to a 6.0inch due to more LEDs needed.

1 Like

Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by adanny01(m): 12:58pm On Aug 21, 2018
sureteeboy:

The point I'm trying to make is, the bigger screen device isn't using more energy just because it has a bigger screen size. It's consuming more battery probably because it has an higher screen resolution than the smaller one

Its consuming more energy because of more lighting.

1 Like

Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by calddon(m): 1:37pm On Aug 21, 2018
tiwiex:

A simple analogy. Assuming your laptop screen was the size of your phone. Ridiculous as it sounds, it helps understand the big screen argument. Do you consume more data browsing Naira land for instance on both devices. What about videos? It does make sense but really can't say by how much. I mean a tab loading graphics on a bigger screen should consume more than graphics on a smaller area.
Content transfered from source to destination are the same. Except for some plugins that detect destination devices and optimises accordingly.

1 Like

Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by tolu4you: 1:40pm On Aug 21, 2018
Offpoint:
It does, from experience.
I don't need to write epistle about it, just simple explanation.

if you download a picture of 1000x1200 and it's 1mb by size.... resize the same picture to 150x150 and see if the size will still be the same...
trying streaming YouTube hd video on 4.5 screen phone and stream same on iPad...you'll see the difference in data consumption.

so your phone screen has a lot to do with your data consumption in times of browsing.

if you use 1gb on 4.5 screen for a week, try using 1gb on iPad for the same purpose for a week, then you'll see the difference.

anyways, web developers will understand better.

For those who still want to ask me silly questions...

COMPRESSION = REDUCTION IN SIZE/QUALITY and THE RESULTS IS LOWER DATA SIZE.
when you screen is small.. Compression steps IN.

Doesn't affect downloaded files o, before you ask me another silly question again.

You're free to argue, my comment is base on experience and practice, not just just theory.
Fact.....
As a web designer, we use @media query to detect screen sizes. For example, small screen will load smaller image while larger screen will load bigger image

1 Like

Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by LordReed(m): 2:04pm On Aug 21, 2018
Offpoint:

I don't want to argue brother, I'm not going to say you're wrong. but the first example I gave will explain better. I'm open to new idea though.

That's why I said you are misinterpreting what is happening. A 1080p YouTube video playing on your 4.5in phone will consume the same data the same video playing on the iPad consumes, it has nothing to do with the screen size.

1 Like

Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by Offpoint: 2:18pm On Aug 21, 2018
LordReed:

That's why I said you are misinterpreting what is happening. A 1080p YouTube video playing on your 4.5in phone will consume the same data the same video playing on the iPad consumes, it has nothing to do with the screen size.
Alright boss
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by Offpoint: 2:20pm On Aug 21, 2018
tolu4you:

Fact.....
As a web designer, we use @media query to detect screen sizes. For example, small screen will load smaller image while larger screen will load bigger image
That's it bro, I wonder why some are arguing with me.
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by samodan(m): 2:22pm On Aug 21, 2018
Offpoint:
It does, from experience.
I don't need to write epistle about it, just simple explanation.

if you download a picture of 1000x1200 and it's 1mb by size.... resize the same picture to 150x150 and see if the size will still be the same...
trying streaming YouTube hd video on 4.5 screen phone and stream same on iPad...you'll see the difference in data consumption.

so your phone screen has a lot to do with your data consumption in times of browsing.

if you use 1gb on 4.5 screen for a week, try using 1gb on iPad for the same purpose for a week, then you'll see the difference.

anyways, web developers will understand better.

For those who still want to ask me silly questions...

COMPRESSION = REDUCTION IN SIZE/QUALITY and THE RESULTS IS LOWER DATA SIZE.
when you screen is small.. Compression steps IN.

Doesn't affect downloaded files o, before you ask me another silly question again.

You're free to argue, my comment is base on experience and practice, not just just theory.

You know this is full of shii, right?
Take a 5 inch Galaxy S6 for instance, on that phone, you can watch YouTube videos in 1440p (QHD)
Now, take an iPhone 8 plus with its 5.5 inch display, the max you can watch is 1080p (FHD)

Most 6 inch Android phones now have FHD displays.

So...

1 Like

Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by BIXYBABE: 3:15pm On Aug 21, 2018
OgogoroFreak:
Dey sell your toto join to support yourself.
As ur wife and junior sister does.......

1 Like

Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by Offpoint: 3:27pm On Aug 21, 2018
samodan:

You know this is full of shii, right?
Take a 5 inch Galaxy S6 for instance, on that phone, you can watch YouTube videos in 1440p (QHD)
Now, take an iPhone 8 plus with its 5.5 inch display, the max you can watch is 1080p (FHD)

Most 6 inch Android phones now have FHD displays.

So...
What have you said now?
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by CaptainStephen(m): 11:41pm On Aug 21, 2018
BIXYBABE:
As ur wife and junior sister does.......
just ignore na
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by adanny01(m): 9:56am On Aug 24, 2018
It seems most people arguing against bigger screen more data are confusing browsing and file downloading.

When browsing on most internet apps and on browsers, the bigger the screen the more data unless the settings are deployed. For eg, most mobile browsers have a toggle sellection for mobile or desktop view. Some have gone further to add a tablet view. They dont consume the same data, this is a fact. If desktop browsers were to have a mobile view option, pictures would appear blurry because of the large screen so browers automatically detect the screen size and increase the image quality, they will consume more data rendering the same webpage.

I remember the good old java phones where you can select the image quality your browsers display. Now i think why that feature is missing on most browsers is because the browsers have advanced detecting screen size and displaying appropriate quality while having a single option for enabling data saving through data compression.

Its pointless arguing against this.

Secondly, file download may or maynot be optimised for browser viewing so the file is the same irrespective of the screen size of downloading device.
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by tafat: 5:06pm On Aug 24, 2018
yeah that will have an effect on data consumption but thanks to the android go version of the spark 2, that wouldn't be an issue.
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by Abiodunspectre(m): 8:49am On Aug 26, 2018
I don't think so
My Camon X Pro is a 6inch device and it doesn't have a toll.on my data.
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by tafat: 10:20am On Sep 01, 2018
Abiodunspectre:
I don't think so
My Camon X Pro is a 6inch device and it doesn't have a toll.on my data.
really? That's nice. Do you make use of data manager or something on your camon x pro?
Re: Does Having Big Phone Screen Affect The Use Of Data? by investigator007: 5:49pm On Sep 03, 2018
Maybe it does but I'll like to believe irrespective of the bigger view of the spark 2 data is still saved due to the fact that it runs on the new Android go version

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. / Airtel 20gb For 200naira Is Back And It Downloading Heavy Files On Opera Mini / Does It Mean No Internet Service Provision For Those With 2/3g Phones On Ntel?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.