Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:33 AM

Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer (3562 Views)

Why Has My NETELLER Account Been Disabled? / See How A Disabled Is Hawking Biscuits On The Road "Touching" / Naira Cards To Be Disabled For International Use From Jan 1st, 2016? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by coolier(f): 2:30am On Jun 25, 2010
PROTEST OVER DEGRADING TREATMENT BY BANK PHB STAFF

I write to register my protest over the absolute and utter humiliation my person was subjected to by staff of your 2nd Avenue, Festac Town branch in the early hours of yesterday.

HEREIN LIES MY CASE.

Between 8:15am and 8:40am yesterday Tuesday 22nd of June 2010, I visited your 2nd Avenue, Festac Town branch to make a withdrawal from my account No 00315000033 domiciled at your Obafemi Awolowo (1) branch, Ikeja, Lagos. (I was told this particular A/C No is no longer valid and I’m still waiting for the new A/C No.)

However to my dismay, I was refused entry into the banking hall at the point of entry on the grounds that I use a walking aid (Crutches to be precise). For the benefit of record purposes, I’m currently battling with a diagnosed case of Giant Cell Tumours of the left femur, which necessitates my usage of the earlier stated walking aid to ambulate.

Now, while I do appreciate the need for bank to maintain high-level security procedure and processes, barring physically challenged people access into their banking halls I dare say is ridiculous and absurd. Also, for your staff to ask me to bring my cheque book so the withdrawal could be made on my behalf further makes the whole situation preposterous as I kept wondering why people who could treat me with such indignities and unwarranted suspicion expected me to repose my own confidence in them.

All my efforts to explain to them that I was a bonafide account holder of the bank fell on deaf ears. Even after I requested to see the so called “madam” who could give the directive that I be allowed in the banking hall to carry out my legitimate transaction, my request was declined as I was told that it was only if I gave them my cheque book to make the withdrawal on my behalf would suffice.

To say the least, their action not only impugns on my person, but also smacks of transparent discrimination against the handicapped. For anyone to suggest that people who walk with the aid of crutches or any other type of walking aid for that matter cannot be trusted is laughable and wicked.

My initial reaction was that perhaps their position was the company’s policy as it relates to the physically challenged, but after ruminating over the likelihood of this, I knew it was not possible as I had never been subjected to this kind of humiliation on account of my condition in any other branch of Bank PHB or any other bank for that matter. Why I had to be subjected to such indignities still befuddles my mind and I would gladly like to know WHY.

All the above I do believe can be corroborated from the CCTV footages of yesterday.

Already, my lawyers have been briefed as I do intend to seek redress in the court of law and court of public opinion.

Thank You.

Yours Sincerely,

Arulogun Olabusoye
Add: No. 25 Bank Road, Satellite Town Estates, Satellite Town, Lagos.
Tel: 08033019801, 08057073760.
Email: "busoyearu@gmail.com"

TO: The Managing Director
Bank PHB Plc.
Victoria Island
Lagos.

http://www.saharareporters.com/letters/your-letters/6336-protest-over-degrading-treatment-by-bank-phb-staff.html
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by diehard1: 2:16pm On Jun 25, 2010
Sounds unbelievable to me, the fact that someone is physically challenged does not mean he is dangerous. The people that prevented her from entering the banking hall should have their heads examined. angry
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by Ziggyjoel(f): 2:40pm On Jun 25, 2010
The bank should be fined for damages. Its unprofessional in the sense that when u know u wont allow entrance of such class of people to ur banking hall, why open account for them in the first place? angry
Shiorr!!!
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by oisehumen(m): 2:55pm On Jun 25, 2010
Incredible!

Please, let your lawyer pursue this case with all the available evidences and get them punished for this humiliation.
Useless people! angry angry angry angry angry angry.

Don't feel downcast in anyway my dear, God will heal u completely.
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by aceman(m): 3:19pm On Jun 25, 2010
I know how u feel. Check this Access Rights group page on Facebook to get support http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=118000341557708
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by davidif: 3:37pm On Jun 25, 2010
HE SHOULD SUE THEM BACK TO THE STONE AGE angry angry angry.

MAN, WHY DON'T WE HAVE CIVIL RIGHT LAWS IN NIGERIA?
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jun 25, 2010
he should organise a mutallab for them
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by damilola15: 5:05pm On Jun 25, 2010
I was just discussing this, this morning. We discriminate against disabled people too much. They are very useful if given the right skill.

God punish those people. May disability come their way, may, I think I should stop before I'm unstoppable.
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jun 25, 2010
OMG, my dear God will use this as a challenge in your situation watch out for the over flowing and divine healing and God's favor. Sue them for damages and get the physical cash. Be strong and don't let it get into your emotion being. Always be happy because people that love u is more than million Bank Phb madam's as u called em. Love you, Peace
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by sylve11: 7:16pm On Jun 25, 2010
I don't know what these bankers are feeling likef! Arulogun Olabusoye, may God see u through and hopes u get healed soon. cry kiss kiss cool

Devil punish those useless madams and ogas angry angry angry cool
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jun 25, 2010
I pray those insane bank officials gives birth to CRIPPLES each in the future, so as to know that disables are not creatures from another planet.
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by babslepe: 7:34pm On Jun 25, 2010
so bank phb can treat diabled people like this despite their poor services imagine i was not able to withdraw from account for almost 2 weeks cause their network was down at benin
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by Odunnu: 8:55pm On Jun 25, 2010
U.N.B.E.L.I.E.V.A.B.L.E!!!
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by Odunnu: 8:56pm On Jun 25, 2010
U.N.B.E.L.I.E.V.A.B.L.E!!!
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by hackney(m): 9:19pm On Jun 25, 2010
davidif:

MAN, WHY DON'T WE HAVE CIVIL RIGHT LAWS IN NIGERIA?[/b]

Nice one.

@poster sue them.
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by dominique(f): 9:41pm On Jun 25, 2010
this is real bad publicity for bank PHB (actually, it wouldn't surprise me much if it was union bank). the poor man should be compensated somehow and every bank personnel involved in this mess should be sacked with immediate effect.
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by whiteroses(f): 10:32pm On Jun 25, 2010
dominique:

this is real bad publicity for bank PHB (actually, it wouldn't surprise me much if it was union bank). the poor man should be compensated somehow and every bank personnel involved in this mess should be sacked with immediate effect.
if they should sack them no civil servant would remain in their jobs, its the naija mentality its how they were all raised, ignorance. there's not much anyone can do to improve things, from lecturers, bankers to admin no one knows how to act in nigeria only nurses know how to do their job (they are attached to it emmotionally lol)
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by dominique(f): 10:38pm On Jun 25, 2010
whiteroses:

if they should sack them no civil servant would remain in their jobs, its the naija mentality its how they were all raised, ignorance. there's not much anyone can do to improve things, from lecturers, bankers to admin no one knows how to act in nigeria only nurses know how to do their job (they are attached to it emmotionally lol)

government officials are generally saucy and should not be compared to banks for any reason. a bank is a public service institution with a reputation to protect. i've been to banks and i've never been treated so shabbily. the management should weed out the culprits and put them out of their jobs.
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by malchy(m): 11:13pm On Jun 25, 2010
my brother, sorry abt ur experience at bank PHB. God will surely vindicate u. Just keep us posted on the proceeding of the case. dont give in to out of court settlement cos they really deserve the public defamation.
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by kobikwelu(m): 11:24pm On Jun 25, 2010
pity, in this country

the bank should be sued to thine kingdom come angry angry angry angry angry angry

i just wish that video evidence can be gotten, if not, he does not have a case, except God
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by medjai(m): 11:53pm On Jun 25, 2010
Shocking and uncivilized. Bank Phb is a useless bank.
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by kobikwelu(m): 12:01am On Jun 26, 2010
Shocking and uncivilized. Bank Phb is a useless bank

looollll

oga calm down,
you are taking this toooo personal tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by oloritinu: 12:39am On Jun 26, 2010
the bank was just been silly.this happened because nigeria government itself does not regard disabled people to any extent. not even a single person had sympathy on the disable person. na wah o.
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by Outstrip(f): 12:52am On Jun 26, 2010
diehard1:

Sounds unbelievable to me, the fact that someone is physically challenged does not mean he is dangerous. The people that prevented her from entering the banking hall should have their heads examined. angry

They should be fired immediately. Having their heads examined is their own issue. They are not qualified to serve the general public
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by spicyhoney(f): 2:42am On Jun 26, 2010
The head of Operation and customer service officer in that branch should be suspended, thats the highest level of SERVICE FAILURE. What a shame, i beg make the customer close her acct go open for another bank jor.
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by Sharon6(f): 5:22am On Jun 26, 2010
This is really touching, Those idiots should be crushed in their legs.
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by maxxy: 8:11am On Jun 26, 2010
Accept my sympathies and dont let this in any way rub off on you the hard way.

But before we outrightly condemn BankPHB, I think it would be good for us to know the nature of the walking aid. Are they made of metals, iron or wood?

If they are made of wood or other similar non-metallic materials, then the electonic door would not prevent your entrance and the bank staff ordinarily should not bar you from gaining entrance. If they are metallic or made of iron, the only way you can enter the bank is if the security features of the door are disabled or an over-ride done for your sake. This in itself is a security risk and is taken based on the best judgement of the person in charge.

The banks have been one of the worst victims of the insecurity that has pervaded our society. This has made them to be more vigilant and to deploy technology that would check in some way, the frequent attacks by robbers. If an over-ride is done, and at the end of the day, the customer produces some weapon that is used to successfully rob the bank, you can be sure that the person that did the over-ride would be named an accomplice and would most likely go to jail. And mind you, we have seen all manner of things being turned into lethal weapons, including seemingly harmless phones.

So before killing the banks, lets look at this from the other side.
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by chukz4real(m): 8:59am On Jun 26, 2010
maxxy:

Accept my sympathies and dont let this in any way rub off on you the hard way.

But before we outrightly condemn BankPHB, I think it would be good for us to know the nature of the walking aid. Are they made of metals, iron or wood?

If they are made of wood or other similar non-metallic materials, then the electronic door would not prevent your entrance and the bank staff ordinarily should not bar you from gaining entrance. If they are metallic or made of iron, the only way you can enter the bank is if the security features of the door are disabled or an over-ride done for your sake. This in itself is a security risk and is taken based on the best judgment of the person in charge.

The banks have been one of the worst victims of the insecurity that has pervaded our society. This has made them to be more vigilant and to deploy technology that would check in some way, the frequent attacks by robbers. If an over-ride is done, and at the end of the day, the customer produces some weapon that is used to successfully rob the bank, you can be sure that the person that did the over-ride would be named an accomplice and would most likely go to jail. And mind you, we have seen all manner of things being turned into lethal weapons, including seemingly harmless phones.

So before killing the banks, lets look at this from the other side.

I see lots of sense in your comment. Due to the nature of my job, I often go to the bank on safety booth (if the need arises for me to go from my place of work). Gaining entrance into the banking hall posses a challenge because of the metallic stuff in the booth. Hence, the security personnel will subject me to metallic scan after which they either disable the security system on the door or provide an alternative footwear for me to go in and make my transactions. So, why can't PHB copy the security operations of other banks; UBA, GTB and Oceanic? To me they have no excuse.
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by saintneo(m): 9:13am On Jun 26, 2010
Sympathy is growing in every comment. Utter rubbish!

I must appreciate the poster for recognising security policies of banks. You should not take this deep down. As a matter of fact, the bank staff should not have attempted to assist you by withdrawing on your behalf.

My advice to you is to go along with a trusted family or friend to the bank to regularised your account, obtain an ATM card and internet banking facility. This will all make it easy for you and bank so as to avoid such occurrence.
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by maxxy: 9:29am On Jun 26, 2010
@Chukz4real

Thats proactiveness (providing alternative footwear),  and its a virtue much needed everywhere. But what do you think would happen if you refuse to use the alternative footwear and insist on using your boots? Of course you will not enter the bank, then you will come here and start bashing the bank.

Truth is, the bank staff went the extra mile by offering to honour the withdrawal while the customer sits outside, maybe inside the security room. That way, customer gets his/her money (which was the primary purpose of coming) and the bank remains protected. Everybody should have been happy! But where the customer insists on entering the bank, you begin to wonder,  why must he enter the bank? Truth is that any bank that does not take security seriously should not be in banking, particularly in Nigeria where everyone wants his own share of the cake,  govt money or not.

Anyway, I think they should have politely explained to the customer why she cannot enter and what they would do assist her. Politeness always wins people over, but then you never know cos some customers are just what they are.
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by Ranoscky(m): 11:03am On Jun 26, 2010
No GADAMN security officer gat any right to stop a disabled. FWFR? (for what fukking reason) undecided sad u don't even need to ask her (disabled) for assistant, unless she request for it. afterall she made it to the bank without the assistance of the security officer so why refusing her in? is that how they refuse other customers in? is it b'cos she's disabled? NA OGUN GO DESTROY THAT SECURITY OFFICER GENERATION! sad him no go see better for em life! she (the disabled woman) came to the bank like every other person, all the security officer gat to do is open the MF (motherfukking) door and allow her in for her to go in and do whatever she came there for. and leave when she's done. ASAT!!! angry
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by Cruisez: 11:40am On Jun 26, 2010
This is obviously a Nigerian who knows how to make her voice heard. Before i comment for or against her/bank phb, i want to see the CCTV footage. Until then, am afraid i sense over reaction in every word of that letter.

We need to read up the security situation in our country, especially as it affects financial institutions. Then we will understand what it means to work in a banking hall this day and time.

There is a take home though, never offer to assist a disabled unless he/she seeks your assistance.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Start A Profiting Business Online [READ MORE] / Laundry And Drycleaning Service Company In Lagos / Proprietary Trading / Institutional Trading / Hedge Fund

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.