Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,338 members, 7,811,980 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:22 AM

What Are The Steps To Take When Buying Car Online (new Or Used) - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Are The Steps To Take When Buying Car Online (new Or Used) (11078 Views)

Have You Seen Or Used The New Mobil Super 3000 Fully Synthetic 5W-40 Engine Oil? / Can I Learn To Drive A Car Online? / 7 Features To Look Out For When Buying A Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Steps To Take When Buying Car Online (new Or Used) by easynetsms(m): 8:39am On Aug 22, 2018
Car bizness is a good one but it requires capital
Re: What Are The Steps To Take When Buying Car Online (new Or Used) by computerglobal(m): 8:47am On Aug 22, 2018
dingbang:
Check for VIN

Knowing the history of a used car before you decide to buy one can save you a lot of money down the road. By ordering a vehicle history report (VHR), you can remove most of the guesswork to determine if a used car has been involved in accidents or had major repairs
Computerglobal provides comprehensive report for used and tokunbo vehicles

Pre-purchase inspection

Custom duty verification

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Are The Steps To Take When Buying Car Online (new Or Used) by pacespot(m): 8:57am On Aug 22, 2018
nice read, especially from the first commenter

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are The Steps To Take When Buying Car Online (new Or Used) by EkeneElectrons(m): 9:23am On Aug 22, 2018
Lol if you wanna buy car online, get up early morning and go inspect and pay for the car before someone else does.
Re: What Are The Steps To Take When Buying Car Online (new Or Used) by EkeneElectrons(m): 9:24am On Aug 22, 2018
Because as e dey hot
Re: What Are The Steps To Take When Buying Car Online (new Or Used) by wellmax(m): 9:43am On Aug 22, 2018
dingbang:
Check for VIN

Meanwhile, esteemed first bank customers, y'all can now perform wonderful transactions on the first mobile app, please click the link on my signature for more details on how to register, thanks .

As good as the app is there is a major flaw. When I receive money it displays my name and not the name of the sender.
Re: What Are The Steps To Take When Buying Car Online (new Or Used) by dingbang(m): 9:48am On Aug 22, 2018
wellmax:

As good as the app is there is a major flaw. When I receive money it displays my name and not the name of the sender.
it does. On the home page, click on your account and click on the transaction, you will see the narration, it contains the name of the sender.
Re: What Are The Steps To Take When Buying Car Online (new Or Used) by CarGuideNG: 9:56am On Aug 22, 2018
Uniquewise:
If you are importing a vehicle from Belgium specifically, and there is no VIN report on the car, how do you ensure it not a stolen vehicle and with clean title? How do you verify that the car is good, since all transactions are online?

VIN reports are available for certain vehicles from Belgium, and some other European countries.

We also have access to central registries for stolen cars from Belgium and other European countries.

Excerpts from the reports are below:

Physical inspection, whether via a proxy, paid or otherwise, is highly recommended for all vehicles prior to purchase.
Several major auctions permit inspection of vehicles prior to bidding.
Dealerships and independent sellers also make vehicles available for inspection.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Steps To Take When Buying Car Online (new Or Used) by computerglobal(m): 10:28am On Aug 22, 2018
Uniquewise post=70498023[b:
]If you are importing a vehicle from Belgium specifically, and there is no VIN report on the car, how do you ensure it not a stolen vehicle[/b] and with clean title? How do you verify that the car is good, since all transactions are online?

Computerglobal provides European vehicle history reports.
Belgium vehicle history report are available but please note not for all belgium vehicles

how do you ensure it not a stolen vehicle

We also check for that to make sure that it is legal to purchase the vehicle

1 Share

Re: What Are The Steps To Take When Buying Car Online (new Or Used) by Olumyyde(m): 10:29am On Aug 22, 2018
nice post, we don dey ready to buy motor now by GOD'S grace.
Re: What Are The Steps To Take When Buying Car Online (new Or Used) by computerglobal(m): 10:29am On Aug 22, 2018
EkeneElectrons:
Lol if you wanna buy car online, get up early morning and go inspect and pay for the car before someone else does.

grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Are The Steps To Take When Buying Car Online (new Or Used) by DonX001: 10:13pm On Aug 22, 2018
m4goodlife:
As a novice to online vehicle sales. What are the necessary steps to take before or when purchasing a vehicle from an online dealer?
More precisely, in the aspect of condition of use of the vehicle, previous ownership and security.

#Thefearofstolenvehicle

1. Get the VIN from the seller. Check it with CarGuideNG or ComputerGlobal to be sure its not a flooded car. It costs like N2,000 or so per check (preferably with pre-importation pics if available), and can save you a lot of heartache in future, as our wonderful Naija panelbeaters, mechs and ovenbakers can make an upside-down, flooded car look like clean non accidented cars. Na when you start driving it for some time, your pocket go begin dey scream yeepa! grin.
I personally used CarGuideNG when looking for my cars, and his response is almost instantaneous, even at midnights....so much that you'll wonder whether this guy no dey sleep. I've equally heard good things about ComputerGlobal, so I think both are equally reliable.
VIN check is a MUST for anybody buying a Toks or Naija used car (if you don't want heartaches) in this era.

2. For avoiding stolen cars, ensure you check all the cars documents and see the originals and ensure it tallies with the car's VIN. Including custom papers if its a recent car. Any discrepancies/storytelling should be viewed with suspicion. Some people go as far as checking police databases for stolen cars but I've never gone that far personally. Simply checking the car papers and custom documents, seeing the original copies and ensuring it tallies with the car VIN has been working for me.

3. For physical inspection, if in Lagos, after inspecting the car yourself and liking it, get Gazzuzz to go check out the car for you as a final measure. It costs some money but see it as an insurance against buying a car that could cost you much more in repairs further down the road.
Trust me, some cars look and feel really sexy but may have some serious issues that you might not readily detect, or things that can help you negotiate the price better with the seller as you have to factor in those repairs.
He checked out cars for me when i was buying and helped me make a choice as well as educating me along the way, and he helped me get a fantastic car which I smile every day when I see the car till today. I can testify that he deserves more than accolades.
I repeat, if you're in Lagos, spend the money to get him check out your car. Its more than worth it.

Summary:
Between the tripod of checking the car VIN, crosschecking the documents closely, and a Gazzuzz physical inspection, you're almost 99% sure of being happy with your purchase.
This is from my experience anyways.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Steps To Take When Buying Car Online (new Or Used) by Olumyyde(m): 10:28pm On Aug 22, 2018
DonX001:

1. Get the VIN from the seller. Check it with CarGuideNG or ComputerGlobal to be sure its not a flooded car. It costs like N2,000 or so per check, and can save you a lot of heartache in future, as our wonderful Naija panelbeaters and mechs can make an upside down, flooded car look like clean non accidented cars. Na when you start driving it for some time, your pocket go tell you how.

2. For physical inspection, if in Lagos, after seeing the car yourself and liking it, get Gazzuzz to go check out the car for you. It costs some money but see it as an insurance against buying a car that could cost you much more in repairs further down the road.
He checked out cars for me when i was buying and helped me make a choice as well as educating me along the way, and he helped me get a fantastic car which I smile every day when I see the car till today. I can testify that he deserves more than accolades.
I repeat, if you're in Lagos, spend the money to get him check out your car. Its more than worth it.
Oga Gazzuzz pls try get a representative in kaduna for us abeg.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Steps To Take When Buying Car Online (new Or Used) by DonX001: 10:42pm On Aug 22, 2018
2shure:
buy belgium/toks only
buying naija used car
is like going to a police station.
u go spend money tire
nauja used cars are scams

and d bastards come to nairaland to sell a 6th hand car above the market value
imagine a bastard selling camry sport naija used for 2.7m
wen toks na 2.3m

Lol @The bolded. Not necessarily.
A grand majority of them are crappy, like 90%, that's why they have the reputation they have.
However, people end up buying crap because most times, people don't do the extent of due diligence required to get a good Nigerian used car.
If you read my post just above and follow the steps, and not be in a hurry to buy just any Nigerian used car or grab a cheap deal, you'll get a good one.

I repeat, as I stated above:
Between the tripod of checking the car VIN history, crosschecking the documents closely, and a Gazzuzz physical inspection, you're almost 99% sure of being happy with your purchase.
This is from my experience anyways.

Read my post just above this for the details of how to go about it.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Steps To Take When Buying Car Online (new Or Used) by Hemjayy: 9:05am On Aug 23, 2018

(1) (2) (Reply)

Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor / Vilner Tramontana Unveiled With Gold Accents With 888 HP (photos) / A Thread On Obtaining The New F.R.S.C Drivers Licence.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.