Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,976 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:59 AM

Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor (11086 Views)

4 Symptoms You’ll Notice If The Water Pump Of Your Car Is Bad Or Failing / Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint / Symptoms Of Bad Or Failing Brake Pads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by AutofactorNG: 2:56pm On Sep 22, 2016
Common signs include the ABS Light coming on, decreased stopping time, and less stability under icy or wet driving conditions.

The anti-lock brake (ABS) system uses sensors that send data to the ABS module which will activate it during wheel lock. These sensor mechanisms are installed at the wheel, and is usually made up of two components. There will be a reluctor wheel or tone ring seated on the axle which will spin with the wheel, and either a magnetic or hall effect sensor which works together to send data to the ABS control module. Over time, the reluctor wheel may become dirty or damaged to the point where it can no longer provide a consistent reading, or the magnetic/hall effect sensor may fail. When either of these components fail, the ABS system will not function properly and will require service.

Different cars will have different ABS sensor configurations. Older vehicles may have only one or two sensors on the entire vehicle, while most new ones will have one at each wheel. Individual sensors at each wheel allow for more precise readings and operation, however, it does leave the system prone to more problems. When an ABS sensor fails, there are usually a few warning signs that will warn you that there is a problem.

1. The ABS Light comes on

The most obvious sign of a problem with the ABS system is that the ABS Light will come on. The ABS Light is the equivalent of the Check Engine Light, except only for the ABS system. When the light is illuminated, this is usually the first sign that will be displayed indicating that there may be a problem with the ABS system, and perhaps an issue with one of the system’s sensors.

2. Brakes take longer to stop car

During heavy braking conditions the ABS system should automatically activate to aid in slowing down the vehicle, and traction loss and skidding should be minimal. While we should try to practice regular driving habits that avoid heavy braking situations, if you do notice that the vehicle is taking longer to stop under heavy braking situations, or is experiencing traction loss and skidding, then that may be an indicator of there being a problem with the system. The ABS system is typically made up of only a few components - the module and the sensors - so a problem in its operation will either be with the module or the sensors.

3. Less stability under icy or wet driving conditions

Over time, most drivers will become familiar with how their vehicle handles under certain conditions, including slippery conditions, such as driving on wet or icy roads. A properly functioning ABS system will minimize any sort of traction loss, especially under wet and icy conditions. If when driving under wet or icy roads you experience any sort of tire slipping or loss of traction for more than a brief moment when stopping or taking off, then the ABS system may not be functioning correctly. This is typically due to either a problem with the module, or more likely, a problem with the sensors.

If your ABS Light comes on, or you suspect you may be having a problem with one or more of the ABS sensors, have the vehicle inspected by a professional technician, such as one from AutoFactorNG, to determine the exact nature of the problem, and if any repairs need to be made. They will also be able to replace your ABS Sensors if needed.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by maryjan8(f): 6:16am On Sep 23, 2016
Ok, noted
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by techinfong: 6:16am On Sep 23, 2016
Dope. I've experienced them before
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by bhankie(m): 6:17am On Sep 23, 2016
Nice info
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by veekid(m): 6:17am On Sep 23, 2016
Awesome write up
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by Obagoblog(m): 6:19am On Sep 23, 2016
hm
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by Turks: 6:20am On Sep 23, 2016
Great writeup!
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by spartacuz: 6:21am On Sep 23, 2016
Happy birthday to my darling state... Akwa Ibom State! God bless us Forever.
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by tofolo(m): 6:30am On Sep 23, 2016
Thanks Op.
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by ndiko: 6:35am On Sep 23, 2016
Thanks boss. One wonders where the sensor is located n how to identify it.
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by EVERCUTE(m): 6:40am On Sep 23, 2016
I never knew the usefulness of this ABS until last week, when the mechanic that changed my brake pad for me forgot to plug back the abs cable. My gear did not go past one, I thought my gear has packed up.

2 Likes

Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by Highvotage: 6:46am On Sep 23, 2016
@op, Please, the cable shown above, if for any reason it is being cut and going back, what is the effect of polarity on the modules?
Also, if the ring(s) on the will is brake and remove, what is the effect?
Thanks.
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by EdoBoy90(m): 6:53am On Sep 23, 2016
ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM (ABS)
In automobile, the ABS is an anti-lock braking system or anti-skid braking system which is designed to help drivers maintain some steering stability (or retain steering control) and avoid skidding while braking. Succinctly, ABS is a life safety technology in a vehicle while braking heavily. It prevents the tyres from locking up (stop rotating) when the brakes are applied ( in most cases) suddenly and hard.

BENEFITS OF ABS TO DRIVERS
(1) A vehicle suddenly veers in front of you, forcing you to brake and swerve.
(2) An animal jumps into the road and you must brake and steer to avoid it.
(3) Bad weather makes the road slippery, making wheels lock more likely when you must brake to stop.

FUNCTIONS OF ABS IN CARS
(1) It prevents a vehicle from skidding
(2) It prevents the wheels from locking up during an episode of heavy braking.
(3) It is a life safety technology
(4) It also prevents the tyres from locking up (stop rotating)

2 Likes

Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by EdoBoy90(m): 6:55am On Sep 23, 2016
Highvotage:
@op, Please, the cable shown above, if for any reason it is being cut and going back, what is the effect of polarity on the modules?
Also, if the ring(s) on the will is brake and remove, what is the effect?
Thanks.
. wheel or will? Brake or Break? break as in pieces or brake in applying your brake
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by Highvotage: 7:04am On Sep 23, 2016
EdoBoy90:
. wheel or will? Brake or Break? break as in pieces or brake in applying your brake

Sorry for those errors bros, cut into two and WHEEL.
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by omoadeleye(m): 7:11am On Sep 23, 2016
Cool
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by rudepen(m): 7:48am On Sep 23, 2016
ndiko:
Thanks boss. One wonders where the sensor is located n how to identify it.
at ur wheel base.. jus look for any electrical like wire sitting on ur wheel hub..

1 Like

Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by eezomatic: 7:49am On Sep 23, 2016
Nice info
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by rudepen(m): 7:52am On Sep 23, 2016
EVERCUTE:
I never knew the usefulness of this ABS until last week, when the mechanic that changed my brake pad for me forgot to plug back the abs cable. My gear did not go past one, I thought my gear has packed up.
change that mechanic, u don't have to remove abs sensors while changing break pads.. lol
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by Emeka71(m): 7:53am On Sep 23, 2016
The thing affects brake; clutch and gear.
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by Emeka71(m): 7:56am On Sep 23, 2016
EdoBoy90:
ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM (ABS)
In automobile, the ABS is an anti-lock braking system or anti-skid braking system which is designed to help drivers maintain some steering stability (or retain steering control) and avoid skidding while braking. Succinctly, ABS is a life safety technology in a vehicle while braking heavily. It prevents the tyres from locking up (stop rotating) when the brakes are applied ( in most cases) suddenly and hard.

BENEFITS OF ABS TO DRIVERS
(1) A vehicle suddenly veers in front of you, forcing you to brake and swerve.
(2) An animal jumps into the road and you must brake and steer to avoid it.
(3) Bad weather makes the road slippery, making wheels lock more likely when you must brake to stop.

FUNCTIONS OF ABS IN CARS
(1) It prevents a vehicle from skidding
(2) It prevents the wheels from locking up during an episode of heavy braking.
(3) It is a life safety technology
(4) It also prevents the tyres from locking up (stop rotating)
This seems like good points for examination.
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by masquest(m): 8:05am On Sep 23, 2016
we sell automobile diagnostic tool. www.masquest.net 08137777606,08100981296.
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by sucess001(m): 8:18am On Sep 23, 2016
AutofactorNG:
Common signs include the ABS Light coming on, decreased stopping time, and less stability under icy or wet driving conditions.

The anti-lock brake (ABS) system uses sensors that send data to the ABS module which will activate it during wheel lock. These sensor mechanisms are installed at the wheel, and is usually made up of two components. There will be a reluctor wheel or tone ring seated on the axle which will spin with the wheel, and either a magnetic or hall effect sensor which works together to send data to the ABS control module. Over time, the reluctor wheel may become dirty or damaged to the point where it can no longer provide a consistent reading, or the magnetic/hall effect sensor may fail. When either of these components fail, the ABS system will not function properly and will require service.

Different cars will have different ABS sensor configurations. Older vehicles may have only one or two sensors on the entire vehicle, while most new ones will have one at each wheel. Individual sensors at each wheel allow for more precise readings and operation, however, it does leave the system prone to more problems. When an ABS sensor fails, there are usually a few warning signs that will warn you that there is a problem.

The most obvious sign of a problem with the ABS system is that the ABS Light will come on. The ABS Light is the equivalent of the Check Engine Light, except only for the ABS system. When the light is illuminated, this is usually the first sign that will be displayed indicating that there may be a problem with the ABS system, and perhaps an issue with one of the system’s sensors.

During heavy braking conditions the ABS system should automatically activate to aid in slowing down the vehicle, and traction loss and skidding should be minimal. While we should try to practice regular driving habits that avoid heavy braking situations, if you do notice that the vehicle is taking longer to stop under heavy braking situations, or is experiencing traction loss and skidding, then that may be an indicator of there being a problem with the system. The ABS system is typically made up of only a few components - the module and the sensors - so a problem in its operation will either be with the module or the sensors.

Over time, most drivers will become familiar with how their vehicle handles under certain conditions, including slippery conditions, such as driving on wet or icy roads. A properly functioning ABS system will minimize any sort of traction loss, especially under wet and icy conditions. If when driving under wet or icy roads you experience any sort of tire slipping or loss of traction for more than a brief moment when stopping or taking off, then the ABS system may not be functioning correctly. This is typically due to either a problem with the module, or more likely, a problem with the sensors.

If your ABS Light comes on, or you suspect you may be having a problem with one or more of the ABS sensors, have the vehicle inspected by a professional technician, such as one from AutoFactorNG, to determine the exact nature of the problem, and if any repairs need to be made. They will also be able to replace your ABS Sensors if needed.

your post is timely cos my ABS light just came on this week. i use a 2005 toyota highlander. can you give me a quote?

hope your services are affordable?
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by pragmatistm(m): 8:34am On Sep 23, 2016
Good post. Our Nigeria roadside mechanics do not help matters. They changed the CV joints of my car and threw away the gear teeth ring on it. Since then the ABS light has been on. They said the ring is an ABS sensor.
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by mayorall(m): 9:07am On Sep 23, 2016
pragmatistm:
Good post. Our Nigeria roadside mechanics do not help matters. They changed the CV joint of my car and threw away the gear teeth ring on it. Since then the ABS light has been on. I'm sure the ring is an ABS sensors.

Same here, my ABS is on 24/7 . Toyota big daddy. My brake isn't sharp again and every braking parts are intact. Does this happened to yours too. This had been since 10months ago though.
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by chydon22: 9:15am On Sep 23, 2016
@ AutofactorNG,
Am driving Honda Accord Discussion Continue.
My car is showing ABS light, it come up sometimes and off somtimes.
sometimes when i apply brake, it wil pulse my leg lik vibrating on my leg.
What could be d possiable cause??
ABS speed sensor or module??
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by chydon22: 9:17am On Sep 23, 2016
@ AutofactorNG,
How can i get ur contact and address....
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by chydon22: 9:19am On Sep 23, 2016
AutofactorNG:

@ AutofactorNG,
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by chydon22: 9:20am On Sep 23, 2016
AutofactorNG:

@ AutofactorNG,
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by chydon22: 9:44am On Sep 23, 2016
mayorall:

Same here, my ABS is on 24/7 . Toyota big daddy. My brake isn't sharp again and every braking parts are intact. Does this happened to yours too. This had been since 10months ago though.
Generally Big Daddy does not have active brake
if u re using big daddy pls drive wt care
it does nt ve active brake
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by professore(m): 12:00pm On Sep 23, 2016
Simple and nice. So ABS minimizes traction loss and skidding in a heavy braking situation.
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing ABS Speed Sensor by shinebabe(f): 1:14pm On Sep 23, 2016
pragmatistm:
Good post. Our Nigeria roadside mechanics do not help matters. They changed the CV joint of my car and threw away the gear teeth ring on it. Since then the ABS light has been on. I'm sure the ring is an ABS sensors.

Ours had the same issue. We are still looking for ways to go around it now.

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Thread On Obtaining The New F.R.S.C Drivers Licence. / Common Car Purchase 'traps' In Nigeria / Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.