Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,495 members, 7,812,530 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:50 PM

Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees (14885 Views)

DSTV Hikes Subscription Fees For Second Time In 2023 / Tribunal Stops Multichoice From Increasing Tariffs / Court Stops Multichoice From Increasing Dstv Subscription Rates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by Sanchez01: 8:31am On Aug 22, 2018
RockHard:
That's a wrong precedent. Dstv is a private business. Courts shouldn't have any business doing this sort of stuff.
There is a Consumer Rights Protection Act in place to checkmate unwarranted extortion of consumers. That they are a private business makes it all the more better.

Besides, this is a war between DSTV and the Consumer Protection Council (CPC)

3 Likes

Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by FarahAideed: 8:31am On Aug 22, 2018
Caseless:

I've always told you your major problem - you're confused.

See I don't understand why Nigerians always behave as if they are stuck with DSTV to the extent of going to get an injunction to stop a tariff increase ... What is is stopping Nigerians from abandoning DSTV for either Kwese TV or another cable TV provider till they have have sense ... you would think that DSTV is selling oxygen and Nigerians can't do without them

1 Like

Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by Olisaonyish(m): 8:32am On Aug 22, 2018
A wise intervention, wetin dstv de show sef undecided? Netflix all the way up cheesy
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by PataAlhaja(m): 8:33am On Aug 22, 2018
FarahAideed:
What kind of nonsense case is this and who which Judge entertained such nonsense...one would think DSTV increased the price of OXYGEN

You are yet to blame Buhari for the court decision. You may now proceed!

1 Like

Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by 9jayes: 8:34am On Aug 22, 2018
For your cheaper Gotv/DSTV subscription see my profile
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by Abdul9025(m): 8:36am On Aug 22, 2018
ikorodureporta:
Help! Give me list of safe websites to download free software for my laptop

Getintopc.com
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by Nobody: 8:36am On Aug 22, 2018
We should be allowed to select the contents we want to watch and be paying for them whenever we watch them not this useless monthly subscription that foreigners use in taking Our money
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by 9jayes: 8:36am On Aug 22, 2018
But no
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by zolajpower: 8:36am On Aug 22, 2018
3rdavefarms:
It has already been increased ... I paid 2100 instead of 2000 with that bank charges
DSTV = criminal
Same with me i paid ,#2000 naira from my ATM yesterday evening .
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by seanbenito: 8:37am On Aug 22, 2018
Suko110:
[/s][s]
Trash
I believe you didn't read his comment to the end
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by FarahAideed: 8:37am On Aug 22, 2018
Pope22:

It's not your fault, your father pays and that's why you say trash, that is...if you people have DSTV o

See I don't know the last time I paid for my DSTV subscription at home sef because I think it's total waste of money paying for a service I am never around to watch and even when I am there is no Nepa... what I am saying is that DSTV is not the only provider of such service and I wonder what is stopping Nigerians from moving to another service provider like Kwese for example till DSTV has sense

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by juvewalex(m): 8:37am On Aug 22, 2018
And I just paid 6800 last last plus the useless #100 changes . If not for Serie A , wetin I dey do with Dstv . They made me dump my startimes coz of Italian league...
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by justifyme(m): 8:38am On Aug 22, 2018
ikorodureporta:
Help! Give me list of safe websites to download free software for my laptop
filehippo.com
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by FarahAideed: 8:39am On Aug 22, 2018
Princeofnigeria:
[s][/s] may your days ends in slavery

Open your mind and understand what I wrote you shallow mind . Did anyone glue Nigerians with DSTV ..if they increase prices anyhow dump them and they will never do it again but instead you are taking them to court like it's oxygen they are selling

4 Likes

Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by LANDLORD72: 8:40am On Aug 22, 2018
RockHard:
That's a wrong precedent. Dstv is a private business. Courts shouldn't have any business doing this sort of stuff.
Because is a private business so they should mik us die right
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by ikorodureporta: 8:40am On Aug 22, 2018
Abdul9025:

Getintopc.com
dis name wey look like hacking synonyn so cheesy thnx!
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by ikorodureporta: 8:41am On Aug 22, 2018
Abdul9025:

Getintopc.com
dis name wey look like hacking synonyn so cheesy thnx!
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by 2shure: 8:41am On Aug 22, 2018
im fed up.
i buy fuel daily
pay nepa bills
do wifi sub
pay dstv
and im nt still married
wtf
i want to be richest

1 Like

Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by yvelchstores(f): 8:42am On Aug 22, 2018
They shld also impose on them to release the channels they blocked on gotv plus. What is gotv max? Next they will also introduce gotv diamond and then platinum.

Gotv plus should be the maximum package. We already pay 2000 naira for it, bank charge of 100 naira inclusive and the stations are not encouraging at all. I don't watch zee or telemuno so what's left for entertainment is african magic n fox. Not fair.
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by Lomprico2: 8:42am On Aug 22, 2018
bist:

And you are amongst the flies attracted to shlt.

Attracted you say?
At least I am not the actual SHÌt that you are.
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by Pope22(m): 8:43am On Aug 22, 2018
FarahAideed:

See I don't know the last time I paid for my DSTV subscription at home sef because I think it's total waste of money paying for a service I am never around to watch and even when I am there is no Nepa... what I am saying is that DSTV is not the only provider of such service and I wonder what is stopping Nigerians from moving to another service provider like Kwese for example till DSTV has sense
You are now reasonable, next time make your point and comments in a reasonable way.
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by rman: 8:43am On Aug 22, 2018
This does not make sense. It is not compulsory to use a certain service or buy a product. You cannot force pricing on private business in a competitive market.

If consumers feels DSTV is too expensive or they are been exploited, Startimes, FSTV, TSTV etc are there.

Competition should drive down prices not court injunction.

1 Like

Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by yvelchstores(f): 8:44am On Aug 22, 2018
Olisaonyish:
A wise intervention, wetin dstv de show sef undecided? Netflix all the way up cheesy
Netflix sounds great but the data involved.... How do u manage that?
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by ivandragon: 8:47am On Aug 22, 2018
as much as most DSTv subscribers are happy with this, the reality is that DSTv has every right to increase its prices.

there are alternatives to DSTv (whether the programme content of other providers is to your liking or not is irrelevant) so its not a monopoly.

besides, when the FG increased price of fuel, a necessary commodity that has more economic impact on Nigerians, why didn't CPC go to court?

the FG recently increased tariffs in alcohol & cigarettes? why didn't CPC raise alarm?

Dangote cement has been going up, how come he hasn't been taken to court?

rather than this move which might discourage certain private investors, the FG should tackle the root cause of the matter... that is the premier league.

the price of DSTv is what it is because of the premier league, so the FG can through the NTA, bid for the EPL rights & redistribute to other satellite providers operating in Nigeria.

that way, any provider that is ready to pay the FG to access the EPL can do so & Nigerians will have more optiins to watch the EPL while providers won't need to cough up billions for rights & the FG makes some returns on its investment.

2 Likes

Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by Fhowe: 8:51am On Aug 22, 2018
FarahAideed:
What kind of nonsense case is this and who which Judge entertained such nonsense...one would think DSTV increased the price of OXYGEN ..

See I don't understand why Nigerians always behave as if they are stuck with DSTV to the extent of going to get an injunction to stop a tariff increase ... What is is stopping Nigerians from abandoning DSTV for either Kwese TV or another cable TV provider till they have have sense ... you would think that DSTV is selling oxygen and Nigerians can't do without them
cause this company has passed the test of time we don’t want different dishes hanging all over the house as if it is a telecoms base station ,buying and installation of this dishes cost money and to uninstall them is very hectic ,multichoice has been around since I was a kid and am above 30 now

2 Likes

Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by mosesjida(m): 8:52am On Aug 22, 2018
Nice one but I think they have d right to increase their subscription rates in line with their operational costs...this is a business and they wanna make maximum profit...so as long as customers still patronize them and can afford to pay for it...it no big deal
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by Suko110(m): 8:52am On Aug 22, 2018
seanbenito:

I believe you didn't read his comment to the end
D idiot modified the trash
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by Nobody: 8:55am On Aug 22, 2018
yvelchstores:
They shld also impose on them to release the channels they blocked on gotv plus. What is gotv max? Next they will also introduce gotv diamond and then platinum.

Gotv plus should be the maximum package. We already pay 2000 naira for it, bank charge of 100 naira inclusive and the stations are not encouraging at all. I don't watch zee or telemuno so what's left for entertainment is african magic n fox. Not fair.
That can't work.
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by Nobody: 9:00am On Aug 22, 2018
The consumer protection had to come in because of the excessive of multi choice. That they enjoy large economies of scale doesn't mean they can increase price anyhow. For those waiting for other operators to show EPL and LA liga,you are on a long thing
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by Gerrard59(m): 9:07am On Aug 22, 2018
Fhowe:
cause this company has passed the test of time we don’t want different dishes hanging all over the house as if it is a telecoms base station ,buying and installation of this dishes cost money and to uninstall them is very hectic ,multichoice has been around since I was a kid and am above 30 now

Doesn't count. If it were a pharmaceutical company, I would understand. Cable TV is a privilege not a right. What's Multichoice's business if there are dishes everywhere? It's not an essential service they are offering.

Hopefully, they would challenge the decision.

FarahAideed:

Thank you so much. Most Nigerians depicting by the comments can be very emotional and don't reason logically.

2 Likes

Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by NnamdiEducamia(m): 9:08am On Aug 22, 2018
FarahAideed:
What kind of nonsense case is this and who which Judge entertained such nonsense...one would think DSTV increased the price of OXYGEN ..

You made sense Bro! But you would have presented it better to avoid being misunderstood.

1 Like

Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by Gerrard59(m): 9:12am On Aug 22, 2018
asuustrike1:
The consumer protection had to come in because of the excessive of multi choice. That they enjoy large economies of scale doesn't mean they can increase price anyhow. For those waiting for other operators to show EPL and LA liga,you are on a long thing

That can be challenged. It's not an essential service.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jack Bauer Is Back: TV Thriller '24' To Return In 2014 / Kiss Daniel And Mayorkun To Perform At The Big Brother Naija 2018 Premiere / #bbnaija: Here Is A Song By Debbie Rise (no Cunny Cunny) - 9jaflaver Music

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.