Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,501 members, 7,812,552 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:16 PM

Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees (14886 Views)

DSTV Hikes Subscription Fees For Second Time In 2023 / Tribunal Stops Multichoice From Increasing Tariffs / Court Stops Multichoice From Increasing Dstv Subscription Rates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by Afamed: 9:17am On Aug 22, 2018
RockHard:
That's a wrong precedent. Dstv is a private business. Courts shouldn't have any business doing this sort of stuff.
Part of their rights do not involve arbitrary increase in price of their commodities. I guess you haven't heard of consumers protection law or right?

1 Like

Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by haibe(m): 9:18am On Aug 22, 2018
We want pay per view simple!! So many people dont watch dstv on weekdays because of work but they still get to pay the fixed huge tariffs, this is unfair.

1 Like

Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by menshowng(m): 9:32am On Aug 22, 2018
That one concern dem thank God say i don fix my ps3 na wetin i go de play...if dem like make dem bill 20k
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by jidxin(m): 9:40am On Aug 22, 2018
RockHard:
That's a wrong precedent. Dstv is a private business. Courts shouldn't have any business doing this sort of stuff.
trash.....U just spewed trash big one..isn't it beta u keep mum than displaying ur ignorance?
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by Bizibi(m): 10:01am On Aug 22, 2018
ivandragon:
as much as most DSTv subscribers are happy with this, the reality is that DSTv has every right to increase its prices.

there are alternatives to DSTv (whether the programme content of other providers is to your liking or not is irrelevant) so its not a monopoly.

besides, when the FG increased price of fuel, a necessary commodity that has more economic impact on Nigerians, why didn't CPC go to court?

the FG recently increased tariffs in alcohol & cigarettes? why didn't CPC raise alarm?

Dangote cement has been going up, how come he hasn't been taken to court?

rather than this move which might discourage certain private investors, the FG should tackle the root cause of the matter... that is the premier league.

the price of DSTv is what it is because of the premier league, so the FG can through the NTA, bid for the EPL rights & redistribute to other satellite providers operating in Nigeria.

that way, any provider that is ready to pay the FG to access the EPL can do so & Nigerians will have more optiins to watch the EPL while providers won't need to cough up billions for rights & the FG makes some returns on its investment.
this is a good idea.....
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by Morizo(m): 10:16am On Aug 22, 2018
eghosa77:
The Abuja Division of the Federal High Court, on Monday, stopped Multichoice Nigeria Limited from proceeding with its decision to increase DSTV subscription tariff.
The court, in a ruling by Justice Nnamdi Dimgba, issued the restraining order based on a suit that was lodged by the Consumer Protection Council, CPC.

CPC had in a public interest suit marked FHC/ABJ/CS/894/18, applied for an interim injunction restraining Multichoice Nigeria or its agents and representatives from continuing the implementation of any increase in subscription rates or price review policy imposing increased charges and costs on its customers, pending the determination of the motion on notice before the court.

The Council further persuaded the court to accelerate hearing of the matter.

In a nine-paragraph affidavit that was attached to the suit, CPC, maintained that it has the constitutional responsibility to protect the welfare and interest of consumers in Nigeria.

It told the court that it had in the exercise of its statutory mandate, conducted an investigation into DSTV’s compliance with a directive it gave on February 16, 2016, following series of petitions it received on alleged unfairness, arbitrariness and excessiveness of pricing and billing systems by the cable service provider.

It said it was also reviewing other issues relating to whether DSTV‘s business practices and specific conducts were in violation of the law and rights of consumers in Nigeria.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/08/court-restrains-dstv-from-increasing-subscription-fees/

Best news all year. It's about time we resist arbitrary increments from Telecommunications, PHCN and Cable TV providers.

1 Like

Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by Nobody: 10:27am On Aug 22, 2018
Gerrard59:

That can be challenged. It's not an essential service.
Yes it is not an essential service but it doesn't mean they should exploit customers in form of high price.
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by silos(m): 10:28am On Aug 22, 2018
You are absolutely right.the hike in price was to allow Nigerians to choose from other option like tstv and the rest, and this will in turn strengthen other cable TV provider

FarahAideed:
What kind of nonsense case is this and who which Judge entertained such nonsense...one would think DSTV increased the price of OXYGEN ..

See I don't understand why Nigerians always behave as if they are stuck with DSTV to the extent of going to get an injunction to stop a tariff increase ... What is is stopping Nigerians from abandoning DSTV for either Kwese TV or another cable TV provider till they have have sense ... you would think that DSTV is selling oxygen and Nigerians can't do without them

1 Like

Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by NwaliE01: 10:46am On Aug 22, 2018
Gbam. Seconded no incessant billing from DSTV

Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by Prechy08(m): 10:58am On Aug 22, 2018
Something wet them don implement since. Go dstv office make u see,
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by Caseless: 11:29am On Aug 22, 2018
FarahAideed:

See I don't understand why Nigerians always behave as if they are stuck with DSTV to the extent of going to get an injunction to stop a tariff increase ... What is is stopping Nigerians from abandoning DSTV for either Kwese TV or another cable TV provider till they have have sense ... you would think that DSTV is selling oxygen and Nigerians can't do without them
well, now I think I agree with you.

1 Like

Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by Goxpawa: 11:37am On Aug 22, 2018
IPTV all the way , watch anything u like but na data o
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by sekzy99(m): 12:03pm On Aug 22, 2018
ikorodureporta:
Help! Give me list of safe websites to download free software for my laptop
filehippo.com

1 Like

Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by Gerrard59(m): 1:31pm On Aug 22, 2018
asuustrike1:

Yes it is not an essential service but it doesn't mean they should exploit customers in form of high price.

Increasing prices to assuage for inflation is not exploitation. There is nothing holding anyone from dumping DSTV for alternatives which are numerous these days.

Anyways, they would appeal the judgement, win the case and the prices will stand.

1 Like

Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by okwabayi(m): 3:09pm On Aug 22, 2018
They should carry on with the increase. I am not afraid. Twenty HD channels is not beans. Let Nigerians stick with their vaseline smeared Startimes picture quality if they want cheaply mass produced entertainment.

1 Like

Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by Nobody: 5:03pm On Aug 22, 2018
FarahAideed:
What kind of nonsense case is this and who which Judge entertained such nonsense...one would think DSTV increased the price of OXYGEN ..

Lol! There are actually some Nigerians that can not live without DSTV fa! In fact many of them too especially the ones that love football, there is even this friend of mine, who would rather not have enough to eat and pay his DSTV bill than to have enough to eat and not pay for his dstv bill.

1 Like

Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by Nobody: 5:14pm On Aug 22, 2018
rman:
This does not make sense. It is not compulsory to use a certain service or buy a product. You cannot force pricing on private business in a competitive market.

If consumers feels DSTV is too expensive or they are been exploited, Startimes, FSTV, TSTV etc are there.

Competition should drive down prices not court injunction.
Let ma so you something, is it possible that there are no channels that show foot ball in those other cable providers? Because I'm also wondering why they can't do without DSTV, becos me I don't watch foot ball only series and movies which I prefer downloading from the internet.
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by Nobody: 5:23pm On Aug 22, 2018
menshowng:
That one concern dem thank God say i don fix my ps3 na wetin i go de play...if dem like make dem bill 20k
What about foot ball matches? Do you go out to watch them?
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by rman: 6:32pm On Aug 22, 2018
mhd5757:

Let ma so you something, is it possible that there are no channels that show foot ball in those other cable providers? Because I'm also wondering why they can't do without DSTV, becos me I don't watch foot ball only series and movies which I prefer downloading from the internet.

There are several ways to watch football. One is the internet you use to download the movies.
DsTv paid for the rights, others can go for it too
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by menshowng(m): 3:01am On Aug 23, 2018
mhd5757:

What about foot ball matches? Do you go out to watch them?
Baba na only wen i play bet9ja.i de worry for where to watch n dat 1 fit cause heart attack grin

1 Like

Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by Cantonese: 4:50am On Aug 23, 2018
Has TSTV truly commenced operations? Is there anyone who got it?
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by Nobody: 2:50pm On Aug 23, 2018
rman:

There are several ways to watch football. One is the internet you use to download the movies.
DsTv paid for the rights, others can go for it too
But I don't think the one that one can download from internet is live and I'm very sure you foot ball fans prefer watching live matches so I think until other cable providers pay for the football rights like DSTv did, people will always need DSTV like a baby needs mother's milk.
Re: Court Restrains Dstv From Increasing Subscription Fees by yvelchstores(f): 7:10pm On Sep 05, 2018
Not long after this was announced, gotv plus cut down on channels like fox. At this point I am done. When they recover from their callousness, I will subscribe again.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jack Bauer Is Back: TV Thriller '24' To Return In 2014 / Kiss Daniel And Mayorkun To Perform At The Big Brother Naija 2018 Premiere / #bbnaija: Here Is A Song By Debbie Rise (no Cunny Cunny) - 9jaflaver Music

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.