Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,963 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:18 AM

Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage - Events (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage (36549 Views)

Bride Blasted For Kneeling Down To Greet Guests At Her White Wedding / White Man Falls As He Carries His Yoruba Bride During Traditional Wedding / See How Oyinbo Man & His 6 Groomsmen Prostrated For Parents Of His Yoruba' Bride (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by chronique(m): 10:09am On Aug 24, 2018
All I can see here, is an arrogant airhead of a lady who obviously talks before thinking. You got away with it and instead of keeping quiet and enjoying your home, you decided to bring it to social media. Now, your in-laws would see it and see you for the true person you are...

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by AkupeMBANO(m): 10:13am On Aug 24, 2018
jejemanito:
She will still kneel down in the night.
Lmao. best comment so far

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by neyobills: 10:15am On Aug 24, 2018
Whatever rocks the couple boats but its more of a disservice to her parents portraying them as weaklings,if she can be proud of her knee not touching the ground if not for the sake of the husband at least as a last respect for her parents.

Abeg who has that iya rainbow meme....
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by spiritedtete: 10:17am On Aug 24, 2018
Really... How can people live above wisdom.... It's baffles me a lot honestly.

Thank God I can't and will never marry a stupid lady... Even have stupid daughter. "A bragado of a nonentity"...

My daughter will be just fine... I know that for sure.
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by Professurr(m): 10:17am On Aug 24, 2018
vivypretty:
it still didn't change you from who you are or from being a female, so what is the essence of sharing it on social media
The essence of sharing it on social media is to get a large group of people adopting her way of challenging culture.
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by ChristineC: 10:18am On Aug 24, 2018
Tel your husband I said he's pussy grin
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by iamHighDee(m): 10:18am On Aug 24, 2018
IamHeWrites:
A Nigerian woman based in Toronto has told of how she challenged cultural norms by choosing not to kneel down for her husband during her traditional marriage, and that Nigerian men are mad about it.

The gorgeous Yoruba bride said she and her husband spoke to the coordinators (Alagas) ahead of the wedding and asked that they do not ask her to kneel for her husband. The wedding day came and it was the way the bride and groom wanted it. There was no mention of submission and she didn't have to kneel.

She said her sister also took a stand at her own wedding which took place earlier this week.

After she shared her story, some women who did the same thing came to share theirs. A few Nigerian men applauded her for challenging the status quo. But the majority of Nigerian men were angry and called her out. Some even insulted her husband for supporting her.

See reactions below;

https://www.torimill.co/viral/9559/lady-shares-how-she-avoided-kneeling-for-husband-during-traditional-marriage.html

So what about when men kneel down to propose to a woman?

These 'feminists' always know how topoint out the fact that everything they do makes them seem inferior to men while no one is fighting them. All of them are mad

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by Nobody: 10:38am On Aug 24, 2018
Mariinee:
Is that her own version of feminism or what? I wonder what that has added to her life; what's the point of putting it out there on social media?
Aunty, as long as you're kneeling to give him bloww job, you have no point. Please, swerve. undecided

And you're a lady??

The kind of comments from ladies on this thread shows y'all are suffering from Stockholm syndrome.

Y'all will gladly accept slavery.
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by Nobody: 10:42am On Aug 24, 2018
My sister, my only problem with you is that you allowed the man to pay your bride price.

If a man pay your bride price you two can never be equal, TBH.

You could've ignored the traditional marriage because as it is now you're not his equal. I view bride price as modern day slavery.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by Ochibavictor(m): 10:43am On Aug 24, 2018
jejemanito:

lol. you are sick
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by TOPCRUISE(m): 10:56am On Aug 24, 2018
Those alagas are hired and rented
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by udemzyudex(m): 10:57am On Aug 24, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

if you don't care who influenced who then why did you conclude the man is the type that would do anything just to "get there"?

They both agreed to do the nonsense.
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by rhames(m): 11:03am On Aug 24, 2018
IamHeWrites:
A Nigerian woman based in Toronto has told of how she challenged cultural norms by choosing not to kneel down for her husband during her traditional marriage, and that Nigerian men are mad about it.

The gorgeous Yoruba bride said she and her husband spoke to the coordinators (Alagas) ahead of the wedding and asked that they do not ask her to kneel for her husband. The wedding day came and it was the way the bride and groom wanted it. There was no mention of submission and she didn't have to kneel.

She said her sister also took a stand at her own wedding which took place earlier this week.

After she shared her story, some women who did the same thing came to share theirs. A few Nigerian men applauded her for challenging the status quo. But the majority of Nigerian men were angry and called her out. Some even insulted her husband for supporting her.

See reactions below;

https://www.torimill.co/viral/9559/lady-shares-how-she-avoided-kneeling-for-husband-during-traditional-marriage.html

And this woman calls this achievement?

If you meet with the Queen of England, do not bow, but wait and see the backlash.

If you cannot be an ambassador for your own culture,stop giving an aspect of it a bad tag in the name of advancement and womens liberation. I doubt if you know that Ngozi Okonjo-iweala bows and actually serves him his three square meals. Na poverty and poverty thinking and orientation go kill all these poor people children wey dey form big boy and big girl. If she was that good as a bride, she would have married a white man.
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by SAMBARRY: 11:20am On Aug 24, 2018
tossie101:

Which Kyn useless language be this biko undecided
get sense
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by Ugosample(m): 11:21am On Aug 24, 2018
1stCitizen:
This same type of girl will meet the English Queen one day and courtsey.

She will claim it is respect rather tradition or protocol. The level of inferiority complex Africans have in spite of their rich superior culture & traditions is puzzling.

I pity the husband. He might just be singing a different tune in 18 months

There is no such thing as superior or inferior culture

Culture is culture

that's why I feel sorry for those who call African culture "inferior"

there is no such thing
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by Ugosample(m): 11:24am On Aug 24, 2018
Produke:
If you are trying to be Western, don't do traditional marriage then.

exactly
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by Ugosample(m): 11:26am On Aug 24, 2018
lastempero:
But a man will still kneel down to propose to a girl he is not even sure he is going to marry.

No mind them
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by mablie(m): 11:27am On Aug 24, 2018
kushme:

Most of them stop blowing after the wedding ..

There's an end to every game.. In this game of relationship for most women is marriage..

They are always on a mission, you'll be wondering why the sudden change after doing many nice things for you during courting like "good sex, cook, clean etc.

At least, madam no kneeling down is truthful before the traditional wedding .. The lady is rude.. She dey slap am for their face for social media..

That wan na the husband headache sha.. The man na sissy, like the guy you quoted said.
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by Macgabe(m): 11:38am On Aug 24, 2018
tossie101:

Everything must not be about gender biko
I think the couple are actually stupid.
Most especially the Lady.undecided
Imagine her saying "those knees didn't touch the ground",
She is just so arrogant I pity that man.

That's just a tradition, kneeling for ur hubby That very day doesn't mean anything.

Hmmm..... Good one there. We tend to be bias when attacking our culture mostly from the perspective that it isn't fair on women. I agreed to some extent. However, this same culture bestow so many responsibilities on men but women tend to look away. Imagine the extend to which a man will have to go before getting married to a woman. Some run into debt just to fulfil all marital rites. It was the same culture that made it so but we tend to look away from that.
Maybe misconception of the word ''submission'' is what's causing issues here. If we are to abolish any culture, it should be wholistic and if we are to maintain and preserve it, it should also be wholistic.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by crunchyg: 11:42am On Aug 24, 2018
I
post=70554051:

If the hubby is cool with it.
Good for them.
Kneeling down doesnt make a good marriage in the first place tho.
It's all about LOVE, PATIENCE, GOOD ATTITUDE, UNDERSTANDING etc.....
You dey always get enough time for enough rubbish, nawaooo

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by ib0221: 11:48am On Aug 24, 2018
This is one of the reasons why there is need for cultural awakening. I believe the duo did that just to question the status quo without profound knowledge. It is customary for groom's family to prostrate and kneel for the bride's family and the bride to kneel for the groom/husband. This has much significance. In summary, in your house, the buck stops at the man's door or table and in their society, bride's family determines the fate of the union and society at large. Their move is simply a reflection of failure of parenthood, the lady just destroyed the guy standing in his family if they should know.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by nazablossom(f): 11:54am On Aug 24, 2018
AreaFada2:

Tor! It is not by force after all.
Tell them o.
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by manikspears: 11:59am On Aug 24, 2018
WhoBeThisMan:
The institute of marriage is really under attack.

Why marry stall if you don't want to submit to your husband?

The concept of marriage from the west dosnt work. That's why one out of every 2 marriages end in divours.

On marriage matters, the whites need to learn from Africa not the other way round.

seriously under attack. am so scared with this nonsense post,even the bible stated that a wife should be submissive to the husband like church to Christ so i fail to understand this madness.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by manikspears: 12:03pm On Aug 24, 2018
post=70554051:

If the hubby is cool with it.
Good for them.
Kneeling down doesnt make a good marriage in the first place tho.
It's all about LOVE, PATIENCE, GOOD ATTITUDE, UNDERSTANDING etc.....

but does not-kneeling down make a good marriage? even the people we are trying to copy still stay true to their culture so i wonder where this madness emerges from.
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by AmazonTopaz(f): 12:06pm On Aug 24, 2018
Hanseel1:

And you're a lady??

The kind of comments from ladies on this thread shows y'all are suffering from Stockholm syndrome.

Y'all will gladly accept slavery.

Oga elder how far?
Don't mind them see nairaland men crying he couple have no problem so wetin dey there?

As for me I done dey talk am small small for house the idea of brideprice does not go down well with me culture or no culture.I believe culture is dynamic not static whether I am copying whites or Africans what I know is that I won't have an elaborate wedding I don't even expect him to kneel down self(depending on who proposes self)any decision concerning my marriage is between my husband and I family opinion is secondary.
So I would only have a registry marriage and have my honeymoon in Madagascar or Mauritius no time to waste.
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by Nobody: 1:05pm On Aug 24, 2018
Ugosample:

There is no such thing as superior or inferior culture

Culture is culture

that's why I feel sorry for those who call African culture "inferior"

there is no such thing

I disagree. African culture, likewise Chinese is superior to European culture which my friend is almost non existent these days.
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by litaninja(m): 1:10pm On Aug 24, 2018
Funkeeee!!!!

jejemanito:
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by Ugosample(m): 1:10pm On Aug 24, 2018
1stCitizen:

I disagree. African culture, likewise Chinese is superior to European culture which my friend is almost non existent these days.

that's not true

Culture = Way of life

All humans have their own way of life

Nothing inferior or superior

And saying culture is non existent is a silly statement to make too

Cultures evolve overtime, and there is no such thing as inferior one.
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by monex(m): 1:31pm On Aug 24, 2018
AmazonTopaz:

Oga elder how far?
Don't mind them see nairaland men crying he couple have no problem so wetin dey there?

As for me I done dey talk am small small for house the idea of brideprice does not go down well with me culture or no culture.I believe culture is dynamic not static whether I am copying whites or Africans what I know is that I won't have an elaborate wedding I don't even expect him to kneel down self(depending on who proposes self)any decision concerning my marriage is between my husband and I family opinion is secondary.
So I would only have a registry marriage and have my honeymoon in Madagascar or Mauritius no time to waste.

indeed live and let live. find a Man who aligns with your values and expectations and do your thing the way you both want.

... and allow those of us that want to kneel and/or be "kneeled to" do our thing too

matters of preference are not definitive nor easily prescriptive.
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by Daeylar(f): 1:40pm On Aug 24, 2018
Lol cheesy
All those who come online to try to shame and silence women who have opposing views to the rules set by this patriarchal society by calling them feminists and reminding them that they will stay in their fathers house then finally go for shiloh if they don't conform are crying all over this thread. cheesy grin

Not only did this lady prove them wrong by finding a man she would love to marry, she also found a man who thinks like her and shares her views, grin

This is so sweet grin
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by Enice(m): 1:59pm On Aug 24, 2018
This marriage is dead on arrival. Why doesn't she want to kneel down for a man she calls her husband in public? What is the big deal. Is she a cultist, a ritualist or a member of something that does not allow women to kneel before men? Did she take oath or share blood with some diabolic cult. Can she kneel for her pastor? Her father or royalty? If she can do this during her marriage ceremony, what else would she do in marriage?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by CioAngels(f): 2:07pm On Aug 24, 2018
Why flaunting your stupidity on social media. Where then did you put the Yoruba rich culture? Nta to oma je ojeki alaga sofue pe rubbish in imoran e. And you are happy saying it. Dirty pride with slowpoke husband. By the way, i'm nor Yoruba, but we should call a spade by its name, nti oda, oda.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigeria's 55th Independence Day Game / Elderly Man With Walking Stick Weds His Old Bride In Imo (Photos) / 100 Happy New Year 2018 Messages, SMS & Wishes To Send To Your Loved Ones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.