Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,286 members, 7,811,853 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:24 PM

Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage - Events (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage (36542 Views)

Bride Blasted For Kneeling Down To Greet Guests At Her White Wedding / White Man Falls As He Carries His Yoruba Bride During Traditional Wedding / See How Oyinbo Man & His 6 Groomsmen Prostrated For Parents Of His Yoruba' Bride (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by CioAngels(f): 2:11pm On Aug 24, 2018
IamHeWrites:
A Nigerian woman based in Toronto has told of how she challenged cultural norms by choosing not to kneel down for her husband during her traditional marriage, and that Nigerian men are mad about it.

The gorgeous Yoruba bride said she and her husband spoke to the coordinators (Alagas) ahead of the wedding and asked that they do not ask her to kneel for her husband. Theor wedding day came and it was the way the bride and groom wanted it. There was no mention of submission and she didn't have to kneel.

She said her sister also took a stand at her own wedding which took place earlier this week.

After she shared her story, some women who did the same thing came to share theirs. A few Nigerian men applauded her for challenging the status quo. But the majority of Nigerian men were angry and called her out. Some even insulted her husband for supporting her.

See reactions below;

https://www.torimill.co/viral/9559/lady-shares-how-she-avoided-kneeling-for-husband-during-traditional-marriage.html

What is gorgeous about her and her foolishness?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by CioAngels(f): 2:19pm On Aug 24, 2018
WhoBeThisMan:
The institute of marriage is really under attack.

Why marry stall if you don't want to submit to your husband?

The concept of marriage from the west dosnt work. That's why one out of every 2 marriages end in divours.

On marriage matters, the whites need to learn from Africa not the other way round.
Now that every area is being exposed for people to know what happens in other tribes, you cannot single out one to tarnish, all tribes, none is better than the other, as they are all the same.
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by AmazonTopaz(f): 2:20pm On Aug 24, 2018
monex:

indeed live and let live. find a Man who aligns with your values and expectations and do your thing the way you both want.

... and allow those of us that want to kneel and/or be "kneeled to" do our thing too

matters of preference are not definitive nor easily prescriptive.

Will sure do.
I believe we should be less judgemental of people.
I like to do what pleases me and I do not also force people to do what they do not like.
The post you quoted is what I plan to do when I find Mr right.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by monex(m): 3:03pm On Aug 24, 2018
AmazonTopaz:

Will sure do.
I believe we should be less judgemental of people.
I like to do what pleases me and I do not also force people to do what they do not like.
The post you quoted is what I plan to do when I find Mr right.

Nice one. Bravo !
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by YaxxVille(m): 4:39pm On Aug 24, 2018
Don't be surprised those knees touch ground like every night
tossie101:

Everything must not be about gender biko
I think the couple are actually stupid.
Most especially the Lady.undecided
Imagine her saying "those knees didn't touch the ground",
She is just so arrogant I pity that man.

That's just a tradition, kneeling for ur hubby That very day doesn't mean anything.
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by Moji12(f): 5:31pm On Aug 24, 2018
In as much as I don't buy her idea but come to think of it, what is d essence of kneeling down jus on wedding day if she's NEVER going to do it again? Is dat formality or wat? It doesn't make sense.
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by waliezi(m): 7:27pm On Aug 24, 2018
IamHeWrites:
A Nigerian woman based in Toronto has told of how she challenged cultural norms by choosing not to kneel down for her husband during her traditional marriage, and that Nigerian men are mad about it.

The gorgeous Yoruba bride said she and her husband spoke to the coordinators (Alagas) ahead of the wedding and asked that they do not ask her to kneel for her husband. The wedding day came and it was the way the bride and groom wanted it. There was no mention of submission and she didn't have to kneel.

She said her sister also took a stand at her own wedding which took place earlier this week.

After she shared her story, some women who did the same thing came to share theirs. A few Nigerian men applauded her for challenging the status quo. But the majority of Nigerian men were angry and called her out. Some even insulted her husband for supporting her.

See reactions below;

https://www.torimill.co/viral/9559/lady-shares-how-she-avoided-kneeling-for-husband-during-traditional-marriage.html

. Then your sure not to have a complete traditional wedding. What you had is called arrengy. It's not about pride, ego or gender embalace. it's culture n it comes with it's spiritual implications vis a vis blessing. I'm sorry u missed it.
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by Nobody: 9:08pm On Aug 24, 2018
Ugosample:

that's not true

Culture = Way of life

All humans have their own way of life

Nothing inferior or superior

And saying culture is non existent is a silly statement to make too

Cultures evolve overtime, and there is no such thing as inferior one.

You are so wrong

We both agree that you define culture as a collection if ideas,customs,social behavior and identity held by a group,

There certain parts of culture that are not subjective but based on scientific proof as superior. Eating habits for example. Are you saying a group with very high life expectancy based on eating habits etc does not have a superior eating culture to the other where life expectancy is negatively affected by their eating habits?

There are some cultures that are detrimental to those who practice them, such as female genital mutilation and tribal markings of babies. Are you saying these cultures are not inferior to those who don't have such practices. Please try to make intelligent arguments
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by Ugosample(m): 9:20pm On Aug 24, 2018
1stCitizen:

You are so wrong

We both agree that you define culture as a collection if ideas,customs,social behavior and identity held by a group,

There certain parts of culture that are not subjective but based on scientific proof as superior. Eating habits for example. Are you saying a group with very high life expectancy based on eating habits etc does not have a superior eating culture to the other where life expectancy is negatively affected by their eating habits?

There are some cultures that are detrimental to those who practice them, such as female genital mutilation and tribal markings of babies. Are you saying these cultures are not inferior to those who don't have such practices. Please try to make intelligent arguments

So tell me what "aspect" of African culture you think makes it superior to that if the "Western" culture?

For one thing, there was never a time in history that we had a higher life expectancy that the occidents

So scratch that
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by Nobody: 9:30pm On Aug 24, 2018
Ugosample:

So tell me what "aspect" of African culture you think makes it superior to that if the "Western" culture?

For one thing, there was never a time in history that we had a higher life expectancy that the occidents

So scratch that

Jeez! You don't even have an argument going by the new line you just took with that question
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by Ugosample(m): 9:31pm On Aug 24, 2018
1stCitizen:

Jeez! You don't even have an argument going by the new line you just took with that question

outline what you think makes one culture superior to the other na

That is all I ask cheesy
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by tossie101(f): 9:43pm On Aug 24, 2018
YaxxVille:
Don't be surprised those knees touch ground like every night

How? undecided
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by kingcornel(m): 11:35pm On Aug 24, 2018
tossie101:

How? undecided
tossie101:

How? undecided
but she will kneel down for doggy,,idiot
tossie101:

How? undecided
but she will kneel down for doggy,,idiot
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by marvinsync(m): 4:36am On Aug 25, 2018
IamHeWrites:

The gorgeous Yoruba bride said she and her husband spoke to the coordinators (Alagas) ahead of the wedding and asked that they do not ask her to kneel for her husband. The wedding day came and it was the way the bride and groom wanted it. There was no mention of submission and she didn't have to kneel.

See reactions below;

really?
what's there in kneeling for one second for once in ur life?
men kneel when proposing!
what's there ?!
anyways it's all about preference ,but that woman should not say that she's somehow better than those that kneel

during my wedding id want my wife to kneel ,it'd make me very happy! , same way a woman would be happy when a man goes on his knees to propose , it's just being humble and loving and shows ur willing to compromise ,it doesn't mean anything in the marriage .
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by sweetilicious(f): 9:00am On Aug 25, 2018
post=70554051:

If the hubby is cool with it.
Good for them.
Kneeling down doesnt make a good marriage in the first place tho.
It's all about LOVE, PATIENCE, GOOD ATTITUDE, UNDERSTANDING etc.....
Exactly

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by Nobody: 11:14am On Aug 25, 2018
Ugosample:

outline what you think makes one culture superior to the other na

That is all I ask cheesy

I just did with a previous post. I never thought you did not read b4 rushing to comment and all you could post is a question of how African culture is better than Western.

I was excited when I saw your 1st post thinking I was going to have an intellectually satisfying argument with you. Guess I was wrong.
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by Ugosample(m): 11:45am On Aug 25, 2018
1stCitizen:

I just did with a previous post. I never thought you did not read b4 rushing to comment and all you could post is a question of how African culture is better than Western.

I was excited when I saw your 1st post thinking I was going to have an intellectually satisfying argument with you. Guess I was wrong.

I read what you wrote about food aiding vitality

I did

but you did not link it to how Africa's own is better than the ones out there

it was generic
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by Nobody: 12:22pm On Aug 25, 2018
Ugosample:

I read what you wrote about food aiding vitality

I did

but you did not link it to how Africa's own is better than the ones out there

it was generic

Your statement above is diametrically opposed to your last comment and first as well. So you agree that cultures can be superior or inferior with what you wrote above. I would not use the arguement much of that of food but rather cultural practices detrimental to those who practice them.

In the light of your contradictory arguements which with all due respect, shows a bit of confusion as you are neither here nor there, I feel tempted to open up a conversation with about the superiority of African culture to Western culture at present. Are you game? Let me give you 2 clues that can stir your intellect.(1) The family is the basic unit upon which society is built (2) A community raises a child

Work on these 2 statements. Note: They are just clues
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by Ugosample(m): 2:17pm On Aug 25, 2018
1stCitizen:

Your statement above is diametrically opposed to your last comment and first as well. So you agree that cultures can be superior or inferior with what you wrote above. I would not use the arguement much of that of food but rather cultural practices detrimental to those who practice them.

In the light of your contradictory arguements which with all due respect, shows a bit of confusion as you are neither here nor there, I feel tempted to open up a conversation with about the superiority of African culture to Western culture at present. Are you game? Let me give you 2 clues that can stir your intellect.(1) The family is the basic unit upon which society is built (2) A community raises a child

Work on these 2 statements. Note: They are just clues

I knew that is what you would say.

I'm currently at work right now, and would give a robust reply when I am free.

I would be right back
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by Nairaland30: 11:16am On Sep 01, 2018
JONNYSPUTE:
You simply displayed your fish brain that's all.

Hy sir
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by JONNYSPUTE(m): 11:19am On Sep 01, 2018
Nairaland30:

Hy sir
.. Hi. Gud morning.
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by Nairaland30: 11:20am On Sep 01, 2018
JONNYSPUTE:
.. Hi. Gud morning.

Morning. Can I chat you privately?
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by JONNYSPUTE(m): 11:21am On Sep 01, 2018
Nairaland30:

Morning. Can I chat you privately?
OK,send ur number
Re: Yoruba Bride Avoids Kneeling Down For Her Husband At Their Traditional Marriage by Nairaland30: 11:23am On Sep 01, 2018

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigeria's 55th Independence Day Game / Elderly Man With Walking Stick Weds His Old Bride In Imo (Photos) / 100 Happy New Year 2018 Messages, SMS & Wishes To Send To Your Loved Ones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.