Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,997 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:28 PM

Tope Mark-odigie Gives Clarity On Her Statement That Men Own Women - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Tope Mark-odigie Gives Clarity On Her Statement That Men Own Women (23593 Views)

Yul Edochie Replies Critics On 2nd Wife, Says 'Real Men Own Up' / Francis Odigie Calls Out Dumez Edo, Her Baby Daddy (Video) / Why Omotola Jolade Is A Big FOOL For Her Statement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tope Mark-odigie Gives Clarity On Her Statement That Men Own Women by Evince(m): 11:36pm On Aug 24, 2018
well i have said it b4 am not gonna sell my daughters like i bought their mum
Re: Tope Mark-odigie Gives Clarity On Her Statement That Men Own Women by NwaliE01: 11:43pm On Aug 24, 2018
Wait Wait, We need to expunge Men paying women's bride price in this part of the World and secondly men should wait for women to come and settle their dowries and marry them to their homes.
Women just be submissive to your husband because he is your Lord and men should love their wives.
No need of all this stories. I think many of us lack proper upbringing, that's why we are having all this issues here and there.
Re: Tope Mark-odigie Gives Clarity On Her Statement That Men Own Women by normaman(m): 11:52pm On Aug 24, 2018
The attitude of Nigerians on this subject matter explains why we are like this as a nation. Hateful and staunched cultural impressionist depicts the daily lives of many of us. I understand her angle which can be summed up as to the peculiarity of our "Africaness" and role culture play in our existence.
Re: Tope Mark-odigie Gives Clarity On Her Statement That Men Own Women by OyinO: 11:54pm On Aug 24, 2018
Besides this culture, there are a thousand non-cultural reasons why a Man owns a Woman. The Bible is even worst when it comes to that topic but you only talked about African culture. A man takes you oit on a dating and foots all the bills. He pays for your own bills, buy you phone, clothes, and what have you. When it comes to spending, you dumb feminists never agitate for equal rights until when it comes to who owns who.
The origin of African Cultural wedding bride price stems from the feeling that a man comes to a family to take (marry) a woman away from her family to his own place and have her bearing kids for him to raise a family and build his own empire. Therefore, he is expected to pay for the taking away of the woman to compensate for her eternal loss and vacuum/absence.

2 Likes

Re: Tope Mark-odigie Gives Clarity On Her Statement That Men Own Women by tiredoflife(m): 12:38am On Aug 25, 2018
Even in costumary law a woman is seen as the property of a man
Its in our constitution

1 Like

Re: Tope Mark-odigie Gives Clarity On Her Statement That Men Own Women by tiredoflife(m): 12:41am On Aug 25, 2018
OyinO:
Besides this culture, there are a thousand non-cultural reasons why a Man owns a Woman. The Bible is even worst when it comes to that topic but you only talked about African culture. A man takes you oit on a dating and foots all the bills. He pays for your own bills, buy you phone, clothes, and what have you. When it comes to spending, you dumb feminists never agitate for equal rights until when it comes to who owns who.
The origin of African Cultural wedding bride price stems from the feeling that a man comes to a family to take (marry) a woman away from her family to his own place and have her bearing kids for him to raise a family and build his own empire. Therefore, he is expected to pay for the taking away of the woman to compensate for her eternal loss and vacuum/absence.

Oyel no go dry from ur head...yet they think a man shouldn't decide to cut off their heads if he likes angry

1 Like

Re: Tope Mark-odigie Gives Clarity On Her Statement That Men Own Women by bezimo(m): 1:05am On Aug 25, 2018
Tallesty1:
I said the same thing sometime ago and people called for my hand(they can't have my head) . Nigeria women that ask for equality in marriage after her family collected thousands from her husband in the name of marriage/bride price are deceiving themselves.

Let's analyze marriage in Nigerian way.

Step 1. You asked for a girl's hand in marriage and she accepts.

Step 1. You do introduction.

Step 3. You fix date for the traditional marriage and her people bill you heavily.

Step 4. If if you bring the items in the list and they're satisfied with what you brought and the bride price or selling price, you can sugar coat it bride price to make them feel better.

Step 5. They will hand their Daughter over to you and she changes her name immediately. That's change of ownership for you.

If the above scenario doesn't appear to you as pure business arrangement and transaction then I don't know what will.

You own what you pay for. Even a kid knows that

I have said this before..they dont realise those B.S feminism stuff and equality..and bride price payment cannot stand on the same scale..

1 Like

Re: Tope Mark-odigie Gives Clarity On Her Statement That Men Own Women by bezimo(m): 1:11am On Aug 25, 2018
dominique:
Until women stand up against this evil practice called bride price, men will continue to see them as their property and treat them as such

You can say that again!! God Knows if I have a daughter..i will collect no such stuff on her head.

2 Likes

Re: Tope Mark-odigie Gives Clarity On Her Statement That Men Own Women by AreaFada2: 3:37am On Aug 25, 2018
Kimsokrates:
Is she subtly saying that traditional marriage should be abolished?

Abi?

Not by force to marry whether traditional or court. Nor do nor do, women will use their hands play enter men's hand. Lots of men nor kukuma want responsibility in this harsh economy. Is following tradition is now so detestable to woman (against both traditional, Christian and other clear religious norms) let kukuma abolish marriage. Just impregnate one or two women, whichever is quicker, get your two kids and stop. Pay to look after your kids monthly. Make we see who go suffer pass.

Men are expected to pay all the bills, women even if they earn a lot, want to keep and spend theirs on inanities.

If women decide to shriek away from traditional roles, men will have to reconsider theirs too.

Eneke the bird said since men have learnt to shoot without missing, he too has learnt to fly without perching-Prof. Chinua Achebe.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tope Mark-odigie Gives Clarity On Her Statement That Men Own Women by waShine(m): 4:42am On Aug 25, 2018
Men are the leaders of Women even the bible testify that, except the bible is proved wrong.
Re: Tope Mark-odigie Gives Clarity On Her Statement That Men Own Women by nick50(m): 5:51am On Aug 25, 2018
D Bible supports paying of bride price, our culture supports it and the westerners supports and practice it too so wtf are we saying?
Re: Tope Mark-odigie Gives Clarity On Her Statement That Men Own Women by xendra: 6:40am On Aug 25, 2018
This stupid woman should shut up already, I'm irritated by her dumbness. A man doesn't even have the right to do whatever he likes with a child that is his own how much more someone else child because he paid to take her home. Was he going to come take her for free? Stupid woman begging to be liked
Re: Tope Mark-odigie Gives Clarity On Her Statement That Men Own Women by DonMekino(m): 6:44am On Aug 25, 2018
The people attacking her, can u ppl chill and point out the flaws and lies in her submission, our women just want to eat their cake and still have it. Who said we cannot have traditional wedding sponsored by the brides family 100% if they wish or just call the families involved and tie the knot without extortion of the groom?

1 Like

Re: Tope Mark-odigie Gives Clarity On Her Statement That Men Own Women by xendra: 6:44am On Aug 25, 2018
Evince:
well i have said it b4 am not gonna sell my daughters like i bought their mum
you could not buy their mum, you paid whoever took care of her to let her come stay with you. That's their charges. If she grew up on her own or you raised her, you wouldn't be paying to anybody.
Re: Tope Mark-odigie Gives Clarity On Her Statement That Men Own Women by felixawe(m): 7:09am On Aug 25, 2018
This' not my pain, its guys that deceives themselves and inlaws by borrow car cause of marriage/wedding, after d event couple trekking
Re: Tope Mark-odigie Gives Clarity On Her Statement That Men Own Women by CAPSLOCKED: 7:32am On Aug 25, 2018
HumanistMike:
She said nothing wrong. Her logic is spot on. Women in general hate the truth thus the vitriol she got.

Traditional marriage is sexist against men.
It's a pity a lot of men don't realise it. If you pay for love, you're being short changed.

THIS IS NEW, AND TRUE.
Re: Tope Mark-odigie Gives Clarity On Her Statement That Men Own Women by Bahddo(m): 9:00am On Aug 25, 2018
She is right anyway. Our traditional marriage is a business activity - bring money and goods and take the woman. Technically he's buying her.
Re: Tope Mark-odigie Gives Clarity On Her Statement That Men Own Women by Bahddo(m): 9:04am On Aug 25, 2018
xendra:
you could not buy their mum, you paid whoever took care of her to let her come stay with you. That's their charges. If she grew up on her own or you raised her, you wouldn't be paying to anybody.
it's the same thing as buying. You pay whoever kept your prospective new phone in their shop, to let you take it home with you and use it. If you made the phone yourself or if it made itself, you wouldn't be paying the shop owner.
Re: Tope Mark-odigie Gives Clarity On Her Statement That Men Own Women by Bahddo(m): 9:07am On Aug 25, 2018
xendra:
This stupid woman should shut up already, I'm irritated by her dumbness. A man doesn't even have the right to do whatever he likes with a child that is his own how much more someone else child because he paid to take her home. Was he going to come take her for free? Stupid woman begging to be liked
you ladies enjoy being bought and sold abi? That's a lady with sense. Not those ones who stupidly make jokes like "you want make my bride price reduce?"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tope Mark-odigie Gives Clarity On Her Statement That Men Own Women by killsmith(f): 9:48am On Aug 25, 2018
Look I don't take feminists seriously.

You seek gender equality but you focus on the female counterpart? Does that sound logical to you?

One question I ask feminists that they always fail to answer, in fact the question dey throw them off balance.

You claim that women are oppressed by society and men and that you want equality, WHAT BENEFITS THAT YOU WOMEN ENJOY, THAT MEN DON'T ENJOY, ARE YOU WILLING TO GIVE UP TO ENSURE THAT THERE IS EQUALITY?
Re: Tope Mark-odigie Gives Clarity On Her Statement That Men Own Women by Nobody: 10:26am On Aug 25, 2018
She is sure shaking a lot of tables on both genders. I have hope that more people will see the fact . most of our traditions need to be reviewed to suit the economic ,social and technological realities of this generation.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tope Mark-odigie Gives Clarity On Her Statement That Men Own Women by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 10:44am On Aug 25, 2018
Ishilove:
This lady does say a lot of shiit

Thank God your brain is beginning to go into reformat mode. At least you agree you belong to one "guy" out there.
Re: Tope Mark-odigie Gives Clarity On Her Statement That Men Own Women by Evince(m): 7:09pm On Aug 25, 2018
hope u heard urself well i paid for taking care of her. thats transaction and that means biz . buying and selling.
xendra:
Re: Tope Mark-odigie Gives Clarity On Her Statement That Men Own Women by Akuruoulo(m): 4:10pm On Apr 06, 2021
Sisijetue:
Women are the most confused set of beings grin
ARE U NOT A WOMAN ?
Re: Tope Mark-odigie Gives Clarity On Her Statement That Men Own Women by Akuruoulo(m): 4:15pm On Apr 06, 2021
dominique:
Until women stand up against this evil practice called bride price, men will continue to see them as their property and treat them as such
HERE U SAID IT ALL. WOMEN SHOULD FIGHT IT

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

BBNaija's Alex Replies Non-fan Who Said She Is Trying To Emulate Cee-c / Reekado Banks Features In His First Nollywood Movie. Spotted On A Movie Set / Another Sextape Leak: Donna Lombardi Caught 'having It' With Co-star, Alex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.