Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,181 members, 7,818,571 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:02 PM

6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview (17614 Views)

6 Things To Do Before Leaving Your Job / Check Out What A Guy Wore To An Interview / Lady Reveals She Slept With A Manager During An Interview And Got The Job! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by PatrickOkunima(m): 7:07am On Aug 25, 2018
You’ve covered the basics, you’ve done your best to create the perfect professional CV, you’ve applied for your dream job, and everything seems to be working in your favor, as you’ve just been invited for an interview with your choice company.

Getting invited for an interview means you’re fifty percent ahead of other applicants, it means there is something that interests the company about your resume, they see prospects in you, they see you as a potential employee, and they would like to meet you in person and ascertain that you’re what you claim to be on papers. All these expectations make the interview process a little bit demanding, because you’re expected to be your best and make a lasting impression on your interviewer.

Today’s post will discuss the basic things that you must know before attending a job interview, how to avoid the common errors that may hinder you from getting your dream job. What I will be discussing with you in this post will go a long way in giving you an edge ahead of others and make you stand out in the selection process.

1. Do Your Home Work: Before attending a job interview, it’s a rule of thumb that you know everything possible about the company, read as much as you can, conduct a comprehensive research on their model of operation, their customers, their competitors, abreast yourself with all the available information about the company.

You will be amazed with how much information you can acquire about a particular company from a simple Google search. Check the company’s website; you can also check online news archive to see if there is any occurrence in the past that you should know about.

If you have a friend that works for the company, you might want to ask some personal questions about the structure of the company, ask for clues on how to scale through the interview process.

You’re going there to show your interviewers that you know about their company, you want to give them the impression that you’ve been monitoring their activities for some time. This will portray you as an individual with passion for the company not just as an individual that needs the job as a means to survival.

2. Body Language: We definitely say more with our body language than we do with verbal words. As expected, human resources (HR) officers know all about body language, and they make use of our body gesture to their own advantage. This makes it very important to know the basics of what your body gesture means, so as to avoid giving a wrong impression when interviewing for a job.

When interviewing for a job, try as much as possible to keep eye contact with the interviewers, keeping eye contact indicates honesty and shows that you’re confident of what you’re saying. Smiling is also another indicator of confidence; it makes you look less nervous and calm. When answering a question that has to do with your area of expertise, it’s advisable to make use of hand gesture, express yourself with your hands when necessary, it does not only portray you as an expert with in-depth knowledge of what you’re discussing, it also makes you feel in control of the atmosphere.

Your sitting posture is also very important. Sitting with your back leaned against the back rest makes you too relaxed and over confident. Try to sit-up straight.

3. Verbal Expression: When interviewing for a job, try as much as possible to avoid verbal mannerism such as “errrm,” “mmhnn” e.t.c. in the middle of your statement. It’s considered unprofessional and might hinder you from expressing yourself properly.

The pitch of your voice matters a lot. You don’t want to talk too loud, and at the same time you want to make yourself audible enough for interviewers to hear you clearly.

4. Listen: There is a clear difference between listening to understand and listening to give a response. When attending a job interview, you must learn how to listen in other to understand, because you can give a reasonable response only when you understand the questions being asked.

5. Be Sincere: When your interviewers ask a question you have no clue about, rather than stuttering and trying to give an incorrect answer, it’s better to be sincere and tell them you have no clue in a polite manner.

Another mistake people make is giving a generic answer to common interview questions. When answering questions like “what is your weakness?” don’t give the generic answer of being a “perfectionist” or answers about you working too hard, tell them your weakness in a way that glorifies your strength.

The truth is that, they know about the “perfectionist” attitude, why not stand out and say something different? I once read about a lady’s interview experience, where she answered the “weakness” question in a very hilarious way, according to her, she answered the HR panel by telling them how much she loves taking coca-cola and how she has been reading about the high sugar contents and it’s adverse effect on the body system, the panel eventually laughed about her response, before she was able to make her point, in her words she said “ What this means is that, when I am fully dedicated and interested in something, it might be difficult to let go of it overnight”.

6. Ask Questions: Asking important question during your interview portrays you as a confident individual. When the panel is done with their questions and you’re asked if there is anything you would like to know, make use of this opportunity to show them that you’re not nervous about the whole process, don’t say no and hurriedly find your way out of the room.

Ask them questions about the company’s mode of operation. Based on the research you’ve conducted about the company, ask them what they’re doing to handle one of their biggest problems, it might even be an opportunity for you to suggest a possible solution.

You can also ask about their expectations from the role you’re interviewing for, ask polite questions and ride on the tide of your knowledge about the company.

Getting your dream job in Nigeria is not a rocket science, all you have to do is follow the right steps and do your best until you get the job you have always wanted.

SOURCE

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by Netfilix: 1:15pm On Aug 25, 2018
Okay, thanks

I dedicate this space to all Cr7 fans around the world: Follow this thread if you're one of them.

https://www.nairaland.com/4695990/cristiano-ronaldo-cr7-fans-thread

13 Likes

Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by nwosu35: 1:16pm On Aug 25, 2018
Must it be me
Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by Offpoint: 1:16pm On Aug 25, 2018
if only all these list works 95% of job seekers folks would have been employed.

3 Likes

Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by dcommissioner: 1:16pm On Aug 25, 2018
Nice one
Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by Rotjijatau(m): 1:17pm On Aug 25, 2018
My dear OP....... Rules doesn't work in Nigeria. There was an interview I attended at a particular company in Abuja, I was asked "Do you have patience?" my answer was "Sir, my patience depends on the situation cos I'm a very temperamental person, small thing stirs my anger up. I also added by saying "I'm a very blunt person anywhere I work, i don't know how to hide my feelings...... After two weeks I was called to resume work. I didn't accept the Job cos the salary was the same with my current job, so there's no need of taking the job..... Therefore, just be yourself in an interview that's all.

6 Likes

Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by nony43(m): 1:17pm On Aug 25, 2018
A
Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by Realname: 1:17pm On Aug 25, 2018
Stop posting things that apply to developed structured societies for Nigerians

1. Know the CEO
2. Find out his social club where he or she hangous

3. Get your dad ,mum it uncle to call a family member who alos is a member of that club and get them to cosy up to him and tell them their child needs a job

4. Wait for your call

5. If you don't have such connections find out who the HRM is via LinkedIn connect with them start attending their Church or mosque and get noticed

6. If you an aetheist do some social engineering on the HRM find out where they rest @, and where they party or relax @ is this information to strike up a connection

7. Find someone who works in HR is she is female do some social engineering on her if she is single for guys this is your account use the church / single pastor line it works Everytime on Nigerian women if she is Muslim this one is easier - Alfa

8. Get a hacker on the dark net to hack their server and shortlist yourself

9 if you can't do any of these well you can always sell fanyogo and gala in traffic , at least it's a hustle

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by Nobody: 1:18pm On Aug 25, 2018
Cool.. Above all.. Pray for luck and/or Gods grace
Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by Netfilix: 1:18pm On Aug 25, 2018
Thanks
Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by geequ(m): 1:20pm On Aug 25, 2018
noted
Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by theDukegold(m): 1:20pm On Aug 25, 2018
Thats if you are called for the interview abi? Thank you! Next
Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by lexrichy(m): 1:20pm On Aug 25, 2018
Tired of these job interviews i learned being your own boss is the best.

4 Likes

Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by Yinxies(f): 1:21pm On Aug 25, 2018
Okay
Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by Horlamidei(m): 1:22pm On Aug 25, 2018
The day I know there is problem is when I was asked the name of my deputy governor in Ogun State and I have no clue at all despite the job been in abuja..

3 Likes

Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by Horlamidei(m): 1:23pm On Aug 25, 2018
lexrichy:
Tired of these job interviews i learned being your own boss is the best.

Ahswear!
Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by qanda: 1:24pm On Aug 25, 2018
There is one thing to do before an interview... it is BE PREPARED! Being prepared includes
1. Being Confident and this comes when you have researched the company activities and have valuable skills to offer the company.
2. When you go for an interview, have the mindset that you are there to assist the company achieve their goal and let them know why you are the right person for the job.

Download Sample CVs and Most Asked Interview Questions and Sample answers from Q and A App. Download Q and A App from Google Playstore.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by kehinde1588(m): 1:25pm On Aug 25, 2018
I do not concur with no 5 which says "be sincere". The truth is, if you don't know the question being asked, never say you don't av an idea, one should be able to say something regardless of the field the question is being asked especially when its an open ended question. In fact, one can divert the question into another one entirely with the answer he/she gives.

1 Like

Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by davit: 1:27pm On Aug 25, 2018
Realname:

1. Know the CEO

3. Get your dad ,mum it uncle to call a family member who alos is a member of that club and get them to cosy up to him and tell them their child needs a job

4. Wait for your call

5. If you don't have such connections find out who the HRM is via LinkedIn connect with them start attending their Church or mosque and get noticed

6. If you an aetheist do some social engineering on the HRM find out where they rest @, and where they party or relax @ is this information to strike up a connection

7. Find someone who works in HR is she is female do some social engineering on her if she is single for guys this is your account use the church / single pastor line it works Everytime on Nigerian women if she is Muslim this one is easier - Alfa

9 if you can't do any of these well you can always sell fanyogo and gala in traffic , at least it's a hustle

This one na die!

1 Like

Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by calculator123(m): 1:29pm On Aug 25, 2018
who the hell remembers all these in the interview? just be natural.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by BruncleZuma: 1:29pm On Aug 25, 2018
grin grin grin grin
Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by SEONaijaExpert: 1:36pm On Aug 25, 2018
I hate people who look down on others because of the job they do. Everybody has to put food on the table and pay bills and keep a roof over their head so what difference does it make whether they are a road sweeper or a rocket scientist.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by DBossNG(m): 1:51pm On Aug 25, 2018
Ok
Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by mightyleks(m): 3:03pm On Aug 25, 2018
Realname:

1. Know the CEO

4. Wait for your call

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy Crazy
Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by zone51: 3:23pm On Aug 25, 2018
PatrickOkunima:

SOURCE

So true, I put all to use in my last interview and with grace of God, I am doing the job today.. cool
Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by xwebyna(m): 3:26pm On Aug 25, 2018
Fortnite is now available on android. You can start by checking this device. See below....
Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by moolaasco: 4:35pm On Aug 25, 2018
Realname:
Stop posting things that apply to developed structured societies for Nigerians waka!!!!

1. Know the CEO

4. Wait for your call

1 Like

Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by BabaIbo: 4:50pm On Aug 25, 2018
Above all, Pray for God's grace/favor
Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by sirchim(m): 5:04pm On Aug 25, 2018
Netfilix:
Okay, thanks

I dedicate this space to all Cr7 fans around the world: Follow this thread if you're one of them.

https://www.nairaland.com/4695990/cristiano-ronaldo-cr7-fans-thread
Am nt Cr7's fan, bt I respect n salute him. He is indeed one of the greatest players, am privileged to watch, growing up. Tuale Ororo C. #HardWorkPays!

1 Like

Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by stanisbaratheon: 12:35am On Aug 26, 2018
Good one
Re: 6 Things You Should Know Before Attending An Interview by Nobody: 4:18pm On Aug 26, 2018
qanda:
There is one thing to do before an interview... it is BE PREPARED! Being prepared includes
1. Being Confident and this comes when you have researched the company activities and have valuable skills to offer the company.
2. When you go for an interview, have the mindset that you are there to assist the company achieve their goal and let them know why you are the right person for the job.

Download Sample CVs and Most Asked Interview Questions and Sample answers from Q and A App. Download Q and A App from Google Playstore.
Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind.

(1) (Reply)

191,000 Nigerians Jostle For 9,460 Immigration, NSCDC Jobs / I Got A Job Today / Things Nigerian Job Seekers Should Have While Searching For A Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.