Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,638 members, 7,820,236 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:56 AM

Canine Parvovirus Infection In Dogs - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Canine Parvovirus Infection In Dogs (1423 Views)

Pictures From Canine Club Of Imo Dog Walk 2022 / Owerri Canine Club Dog Walk 2018!!!! / EKUKE- The Canine Outcaste (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Canine Parvovirus Infection In Dogs by Blackalaja(m): 6:11pm On Aug 25, 2018
[url][/url]views4mre..com
The canine parvovirus (CPV) infection is a highly contagious viral illness that affects dogs. The virus manifests itself in two different forms.

The more common form is the intestinal form, which is characterized by vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss and lack of appetite (anorexia). The less common form is the cardiac form, which attacks the heart muscles of fetuses and very young puppies, often leading to death.

The majority of cases are seen in puppies that are between six weeks and six months old. The incidence of canine parvovirus infections has been reduced radically by early vaccination in young puppies.
Signs & Symptoms of Parvo in Dogs

The major symptoms associated with the intestinal form of a canine parvovirus infection include:

Severe, bloody diarrhea
Lethargy
Anorexia
Fever
Vomiting
Severe weight loss

The intestinal form of CPV affects the body's ability to absorb nutrients, and an affected animal will quickly become dehydrated and weak from lack of protein and fluid absorption. The wet tissue of the mouth and eyes may become noticeably red, and the heart may beat too rapidly.

When you examine your dog’s abdominal area, your dog may respond due to pain or discomfort. Dogs who have contracted CPV may also have a low body temperature (hypothermia

Heavy concentrations of the virus are found in an infected dog’s stool, so when a healthy dog sniffs an infected dog’s stool (or anus), that dog can contract the disease. The virus can also be brought into a dog's environment by way of shoes that have come into contact with infected feces.

There is evidence that the virus can live in ground soil for up to a year. It is resistant to most cleaning products, or even to weather changes. If you need to clean up a parvovirus-contaminated area, first pick up and safely dispose of all organic material (vomit, feces, etc.), and then thoroughly wash the area with a concentrated household bleach solution, one of the few disinfectants known to kill the virus. If a dog has had parvovirus in a home, it is best not to have a puppy in that home for several years.

Due to the density of dogs, breeding kennels that hold a large number of unvaccinated puppies are particularly hazardous. This is why your veterinarian will want to re-vaccinate your puppy even if records from the breeder indicate it has had a vaccination.

For unknown reasons, certain dog breeds, such as Rottweilers, Pit Bulls, Labrador Retrievers, Doberman Pinschers, German Shepherds, English Springer Spaniels and Alaskan sled dogs, are particularly vulnerable to the disease.
Different veterinarians have different protocols about the timing of vaccinations. Most veterinarians recommend that a puppy receive his first parvovirus vaccination when he is 8 weeks old.

Timing

Different veterinarians have different protocols about the timing of vaccinations. Most veterinarians recommend that a puppy receive his first parvovirus vaccination when he is 8 weeks old. The second vaccination is given in three to four weeks, about age 11 to 12 weeks. A third vaccination is given in three to four more weeks, about age 14 to 15 weeks. A vaccination is sometimes given three to four weeks later, about age 17 to 18 weeks. Most all veterinarians agree the final vaccination in the series should be given after the puppy is 4 months old. Once the puppy series is complete, your dog should received a booster vaccination each year.

Limiting Exposure

Because parvovirus is contagious, it is best you limit your puppy's exposure until he has completed the entire series of vaccinations. This means not taking your puppy to the pet supply store, dog park or even the groomer until after the vaccination series is complete. Areas where large numbers of dogs gather are the most likely environments to be contaminated. It is even a good idea to carry your puppy when you go to the veterinarian. It's possible a dog infected with parvovirus just walked across the lobby floor.

1 Like

Re: Canine Parvovirus Infection In Dogs by DemiVonKrone: 8:24pm On Aug 25, 2018
Thanks for this sir, I have a question tho. Since the vaccinations are meant to boost the pooch's immune system, what happens with his immunity before his first vaccination?
#GodBless
Re: Canine Parvovirus Infection In Dogs by prinzetobi: 10:18pm On Aug 25, 2018
DemiVonKrone:
Thanks for this sir, I have a question tho. Since the vaccinations are meant to boost the pooch's immune system, what happens with his immunity before his first vaccination?
#GodBless
Same way Colostrum works in humans and new babies, the mother's (dam) milk provides the pups with anti bodies that give the pups some kind of resistance to diseases. This one (anti bodies) begin to wear off at about 8weeks old which is why the above mentioned first vaccination at 8weeks.
But it's different strokes for different folks, some do it at 6weeks and give another at 8 lipsrsealed

Perhaps anther topic we should treat would be Spacing between these vaccines.

1 Like

Re: Canine Parvovirus Infection In Dogs by Blackalaja(m): 7:29am On Aug 26, 2018
colostrum with its antibody protection is only present in the first 36-48 hours of milk flow. Puppies and kittens can only gain immunity from colostrum if they nurse during that time frame, and they are less than two days old. After that, it makes no difference how much or how little they nurse, they will not receive any more antibodies.

Many breeders and pet owners believe that as long as the puppy or kitten is nursing, it is gaining more protection.Others feel that by allowing older animals to nurse on a new mother immediately after she gives birth, she will give these older animals another dose of antibodies. All Wrong! Remember, the puppies and kittens cannot absorb antibodies after their digestive tracts lose the ability to absorb large unaltered protein molecules. All the colostral protection the puppy or kitten has is what it received in that first day or two of life. Later on, we can only augment this by vaccination.
Re: Canine Parvovirus Infection In Dogs by Johnsainty(m): 12:58am On Aug 27, 2018
We no know Pavo, na 200 hundred naira we dey use cure am. And it works tested.
Re: Canine Parvovirus Infection In Dogs by Blackalaja(m): 6:22am On Aug 27, 2018
Johnsainty:
why don't you tell us more about it
Re: Canine Parvovirus Infection In Dogs by Blackalaja(m): 6:29am On Aug 27, 2018
Blackalaja:
why don't you tell us more about it
and the chances of dealing with parvovirus is 50/50 and its best to always prevent by vaccinating(Parvovirus is a common but very deadly viral infection that usually attacks unprotected puppies. About half of all affected puppies will die no matter what you do, especially if it is the virulent strain.)
Re: Canine Parvovirus Infection In Dogs by jeff1607(m): 12:30pm On Aug 28, 2018
Johnsainty:

waiting for the 200 Naira cure.
Re: Canine Parvovirus Infection In Dogs by gwenzence(m): 2:34pm On Aug 28, 2018
We are still waiting for the 200 naira cure
Re: Canine Parvovirus Infection In Dogs by gwenzence(m): 2:36pm On Aug 28, 2018
Still waiting
Re: Canine Parvovirus Infection In Dogs by Johnsainty(m): 3:05pm On Aug 28, 2018
jeff1607:

waiting for the 200 Naira cure.
well it may not work if you detect the virus at late stage... It works perfectly at early stage and won't return although I don't know if it works at late stage..and result is within 24hrs.. When your dog have parvovirus I'll tell you. But I don't pray that. Although someone told me so I don't want to be acting like I Sabi, and na Oga patapata be the person wey give me the scope. If the guy see wetin I post e go b someow...
Re: Canine Parvovirus Infection In Dogs by Johnsainty(m): 3:13pm On Aug 28, 2018
The Pavo catch my dog that time... Stopped eating for some days, became weak... Stool started changing color like its going to be bloody... I felt men Pavo don get my dog and I've been hearing about it and I've seen cases where someone dog died in my eyes adult dogs for that matter. I got the 200naira cure scope from one oga like that, I used it with faith...never knew it was going to work. The next day my dog was back to life. smiley Although there's other cure like that a little expensive can cost like 4-5k .. but my 200naira cure sure for me. So parvo can never come near me for life. I pity people who loose dogs they bought with huge amount of money...One tablet of red and yellow capsule and one tablet of flagyl. That's all. If person taLk say n quack ....oga it worked for me like die.
Re: Canine Parvovirus Infection In Dogs by jeff1607(m): 3:53pm On Aug 28, 2018
Johnsainty:
well it may not work if you detect the virus at late stage... It works perfectly at early stage and won't return although I don't know if it works at late stage..and result is within 24hrs.. When your dog have parvovirus I'll tell you. But I don't pray that. Although someone told me so I don't want to be acting like I Sabi, and na Oga patapata be the person wey give me the scope. If the guy see wetin I post e go b someow...

we learn everyday

post am or else you go see me for dream tonight o no be play o
Re: Canine Parvovirus Infection In Dogs by Blackalaja(m): 2:43am On Aug 31, 2018
Johnsainty:
The Pavo catch my dog that time... Stopped eating for some days, became weak... Stool started changing color like its going to be bloody... I felt men Pavo don get my dog and I've been hearing about it and I've seen cases where someone dog died in my eyes adult dogs for that matter. I got the 200naira cure scope from one oga like that, I used it with faith...never knew it was going to work. The next day my dog was back to life. smiley Although there's other cure like that a little expensive can cost like 4-5k .. but my 200naira cure sure for me. So parvo can never come near me for life. I pity people who loose dogs they bought with huge amount of money...One tablet of red and yellow capsule and one tablet of flagyl. That's all. If person taLk say n quack ....oga it worked for me like die.
well you could have bin able to stop the diereah at early stage but like I said earlier parvo can last up to 2yrs in the soil surroundings of an infected dog.........its just best to vaccinate your dogs as you have a full protection and also allows your dog to grow well as you can never determine the strength of your dogs immune system as they vary even as humans (remember Ebola did not kill everybody that came in contact with it) and even your boss that gave you his treatment scope for the symptoms, knows damn well that supportive therapy or treatment don't always work (IF YOU LOVE YOUR DOG GET HIM/HER VACCINATED)

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Grindadrap In Denmark: Animal Cruelty (graphic) / 6.5weeks Pregnant Female...2weeks To Delivery... She Is Up For Sale...call Fast / Harvest Of Rice And Snakes (pics N Vids)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.