Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,728 members, 7,831,313 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:55 PM

The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread - Car Talk (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread (449702 Views)

A Look At 2019 Armoured Mercedes-Maybach S560,Official Car Of President Buhari / So Buhari's Official Car Na Boi Boi Sef... / Donald Trump's Official Car "The Beast": 15 Amazing Facts You May Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (260) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by valarinz: 9:36pm On Sep 29, 2018
eaglechild:
Please help in choosing between a 2005 Volvo XC90 T5 and a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder.
Reliability availability of parts and utility are my major considerations.

https://www.thecarconnection.com/car-compare-results/nissan_pathfinder_2006-vs-volvo_xc90_2006
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Nobody: 10:41am On Sep 30, 2018
Guru's, please compare Nissan Altima 09 and Honda Civic 09 / Camry 06
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 11:02am On Sep 30, 2018
dillinger:
Guru's, lease compare Nissan Altima 09 and Honda Civic 09 / Camry 06

people generally run away from nissan, this car is luxurious and has enough hp to race anything. The aero dynamics is badly enticing and good looking. But the CVT transmission is mostly no go area, the ground clearance in Nigerian terms is low and the resale value is shitty. To buy or not to buy is your choice.

Honda Civic doesn't need any introduction reliable, comfortable and top most city driver good for everyday use. let the mechanic worry about the cramped up engine bay grin

Toyota Camry big daddy/ big for nothing. Truly a big boss in the mid size segment. enough leg, arm, head and pot belly room space. The funny thing about this vehicle is the XLE has a cloth and no navigation system and Toyota still call it extra luxury edition imagine grin but reliability wise it is good though a slight robber magnet.

if you want a point A to B vehicle with good economy civic

if you want a point A to B vehicle with average fuel economy 4cylinder camry, with speed and power the V6 this car also has good space and the JBL in the XLE is a confama sound system.

if you need something for a year or two and wish to be different in a stealth way you can try the nissan after all no RISK no REWARD

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Nobody: 11:10am On Sep 30, 2018
Thanks boss. What about comparing C class 06 with the city and camry

nurey:

people generally run away from nissan, this car is luxurious and has enough hp to race anything. The aero dynamics is badly enticing and good looking. But the CVT transmission is mostly no go area, the ground clearance in Nigerian terms is low and the resale value is shitty. To buy or not to buy is your choice.

Honda Civic doesn't need any introduction reliable, comfortable and top most city driver good for everyday use. let the mechanic worry about the cramped up engine bay grin

Toyota Camry big daddy/ big for nothing. Truly a big boss in the mid size segment. enough leg, arm, head and pot belly room space. The funny thing about this vehicle is the XLE has a cloth and no navigation system and Toyota still call it extra luxury edition imagine grin but reliability wise it is good though a slight robber magnet.

if you want a point A to B vehicle with average fuel economy 4cylinder camry, with speed and power the V6 this car also has good space and the JBL in the XLE is a confama sound system.

if you need something for a year or two and wish to be different in a stealth way you can try the nissan after all no RISK no REWARD
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by akinsadeez(m): 11:41am On Sep 30, 2018
What do you think about Honda Accord 07 vs Hyundai Elantra 07/08 for a first car. To be mainly driven from home on mainland to office on island.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 12:26pm On Sep 30, 2018
dillinger:
Thanks boss. What about comparing C class 06 with the city and camry

If you want luxury finish then the C class should suffice but not as reliable as civic or camry but better performance and sportiness
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by valarinz: 12:26pm On Sep 30, 2018
nurey:

I dont get it, is is this same nissan you just talked about below??

nurey:

The 2006 Nissan pathfinder has a flaw which is corrected by radiator bypass without doing this you can damage your transmission early. With the bypass done the pathfinder is a very rugged car and reliable too, the V6 or V8 ensures you have power and the acceleration is top notch. The LE or SE has well built interior with necessary gizmo to keep you company during on road and off road usage.

The Volvo XC90 is a versatile well built SUV with its 5seater or 7 seater variant you will enjoy enough room and cargo space. The well built safety features ensure you and your family are safe in any mild crash or roll over. Its an SUV you would enjoy.

luxury finish Volvo wins
Reliability Pathfinder
off road ability Draw
fuel economy Pathfinder
power Pathfinder
maintenance Pathfinder

The volvo is not a loser but needs care and parts most times can be scarce to source. The T5 is the most basic engine fitted but still gives kazeem headache.

The pathfinder is an all round reliable vehicle as reliable as Toyota 4runner yet cheaper to procure.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by lmm4real: 12:41pm On Sep 30, 2018
Pls talk about the "Pontiac vibe" car its not really popular and am looking for an alternative to the 2007 corolla the price is just off the roof this days.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 12:56pm On Sep 30, 2018
akinsadeez:
What do you think about Honda Accord 07 vs Hyundai Elantra 07/08 for a first car. To be mainly driven from home on mainland to office on island.

both vehicles are reliable and ok for that use.
The elantra has better mpg than the accord due to size and engine capacity.
The accord base is more luxurious than the elantra so if you want a luxurious vehicle to go with your use the accord should be your choice.

Watch out for the shaft of the accord. you need OEM for that when changing don't be alarmed we have one in my family a 2006 and it has never failed us because we listen to sounds and treat as at when due.

The elantra engine is expensive compared to the accord. That's the only camel that can break your back about it.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 12:59pm On Sep 30, 2018
lmm4real:
Pls talk about the "Pontiac vibe" car its not really popular and am looking for an alternative to the 2007 corolla the price is just off the roof this days.

The pontiac vibe = Toyota matrix = Toyota Corolla us/international version.

The vibe may not be popular because Toyota will not allow another car it absorb to surpass one with its name and badge. Toyota allowed the pontiac vibe to stand alone as a market strategy but it has same engine and drive train as the matrix and corolla. so buy buy buy

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by antagonist: 1:06pm On Sep 30, 2018
nurey:

The vibe may not be popular because Toyota will not allow another car it absorb to surpass one with its name and badge. Toyota allowed the pontiac vibe to stand alone as a market strategy but it has same engine and drive train as the matrix and corolla. so buy buy buy

lol, if everyone could handle unwarranted aggression like you the world would be a better place bro
hats off to you

4 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 1:08pm On Sep 30, 2018
valarinz:

I dont get it, is is this same nissan you just talked about below??

People run away from Nissans doesn't mean all Nissans are bad. Come on, man, surely that doesn't have to be spelt out?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by dru23(m): 3:25pm On Sep 30, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

People run away from Nissans doesn't mean all Nissans are bad. Come on, man, surely that doesn't have to be spelt out?

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by thebigkendo(m): 3:55pm On Sep 30, 2018
nurey:

Yeah just a different air-conditioning system
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by valarinz: 4:41pm On Sep 30, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

Then the comment is wrong, shouldn't it be like "people run away from Nissan altima"?

Nissan is a name representing the whole brand, am I wrong??
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HRtechnique: 5:29pm On Sep 30, 2018
valarinz:

Then the comment is wrong, shouldn't it be like "people run away from Nissan altima"?

Nissan is a name representing the whole brand, am I wrong??

You still want another explanation? Common.
What he said is clear?

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by selfmadeOLX(m): 11:51pm On Sep 30, 2018
nurey:

Thank you for this Sir. I have had eyes for the 07-10 civic American spec. I see some negative reviews about the vehicle's low ground clearance, does not age well, and that cramped engine bay you talked about. I have seen the car in person and don't really think it's that low as it's being portrayed.

The chrome door handles, tail lights, dashboard with digital readings, not too old steering wheel etc just puts the car in a place in my heart.

For someone who will do 90% city driving (mostly mainland), at least 5yrs of use, I would love more insight about the car, it's parts and affordability and also if there's any major difference between the American spec or korean spec to look out for as the latter is more common I have been seeing on the road and for sale.

Thanks.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 6:47am On Oct 01, 2018
selfmadeOLX:

Thank you for this Sir. I have had eyes for the 07-10 civic American spec. I see some negative reviews about the vehicle's low ground clearance, does not age well, and that cramped engine bay you talked about. I have seen the car in person and don't really think it's that low as it's being portrayed.

The chrome door handles, tail lights, dashboard with digital readings, not too old steering wheel etc just puts the car in a place in my heart.

For someone who will do 90% city driving (mostly mainland), at least 5yrs of use, I would love more insight about the car, it's parts and affordability and also if there's any major difference between the American spec or korean spec to look out for as the latter is more common I have been seeing on the road and for sale.

Thanks.

The Honda Civic is available in three variants

north America (imported as tokunbo)
Asia Pacific (Bought brand new in nigeria)
Europe (used mostly by Sahara oil workers)

The north and Asia are same thing except for exterior design. The car has no known issue neither does it fall apart at least I know two people who use the vehicle a man and woman though the woman's own is still shiny except for the fading paint job. The man own is still OK too body still intact.

There is one general thing about both vehicles the front wheels are always worked on once in a while not the leg pull issue I am guessing it has to do with its ground clearance and bushing.

modified
this vehicle is known to have front wheel bearing problem leading to humming sound like a humming bird grin don't worry legs won't fall apart but the noise is annoying

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Wilfredpat22(f): 7:57am On Oct 01, 2018
nurey:

The camry and corolla are both very solid vehicles.

Efficiency both will get the job done but the camry has a bigger cabin, more leg room and comfortable sitting also more boot space.

Luxury the camry beats the corolla as the LE and xle come with leather optional sat navigation and JBL premium audio the corolla was never fitted with leather but the 06-07 has an upscale audio system.
The camry also comes with 16inch alloy rim options the corolla is 15 inch steel rim from factory on all models

Economy the corolla has a 1.6 and 1.8L engine while the camry has a 2.5L I4, V6 and hybrid. The camry hybrid comes close to the fuel economy of the corolla but to be on a safer side for 1st timer better to over look the hybrid. The corolla wins in economy but the camry 4 cylinder isn't bad if you want to balance power with economy. As full load the corolla is slow in acceleration.

Maintenance both are OK but camry parts are expensive than corolla. The corolla also has simple engine and parts even the sport version. I have 2 corolla in the family 04 and 07 the 07 has auto lock on moving the gear lever to Dallas, factory installed keyless entry, fog light.

Security both are robber magnet though the 06-07 corolla and most camry come with standard factory alarm systems, they can't be stolen whole when parked on like earlier models, but snatching at gun point has been major user experienced.

Verdict I would push to buy 06-07 corolla staying away from the sport due to bad roads and those with open roof as our weather conditions causes damage to the seals allowing leaks into the cabin.

If you like the camry, leave the SE and XLE with side skirts cause of our roads, push for a LE with all the bells and whistle (luxury edition with factory leather seats) but note most of the people using camry with non chalant attitude end up changing transmission.

I will like to marry someone like you embarassed
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 8:05am On Oct 01, 2018
Wilfredpat22:

I will like to marry someone like you embarassed
you are in luck. you should hurry up and pay my groom price it's affordable.
you will also pay matching ground fee to demeanors. grin

5 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Slazim: 8:09am On Oct 01, 2018
I know this car is "ancient of days" but what can you say about the 2001-2003 Nissan pathfinder as regards fuel cone, reliability and cost of maintenance. Am thinking naija used Sha.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 8:30am On Oct 01, 2018
Slazim:
I know this car is "ancient of days" but what can you say about the 2001-2003 Nissan pathfinder as regards fuel cone, reliability and cost of maintenance. Am thinking naija used Sha.

Its a reliable vehicle.

That particular years came with the VQ35DE indestructible aluminium engine with timing chain.

underbody prone to rust due to way naija users use it.

Naija used you should be careful not to buy one with wiring abuse. don't buy a smoking engine specimen.

Above all it is a solid car not too good on gas, the 240hp is ideal for the weight. RWD or AWD is a plus. I would advice you buy a 2001-2002 QX4 or a 2003-2004 pathfinder those years had upscale luxurious fittings
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Slazim: 8:45am On Oct 01, 2018
nurey:

Its a reliable vehicle.

That particular years came with the VQ35DE indestructible aluminium engine with timing chain.

Naija used you should be careful not to buy one with wiring abuse. don't buy a smoking engine specimen.

Above all it is a solid car not too good on gas, the 240hp is ideal for the weight. RWD or AWD is a plus. I would advice you buy a 2001-2002 QX4 or a 2003-2004 pathfinder those years had upscale luxurious fittings
OK, thanks boss
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by antagonist: 9:01am On Oct 01, 2018
nurey:

The camry and corolla are both very solid vehicles.

Efficiency both will get the job done but the camry has a bigger cabin, more leg room and comfortable sitting also more boot space.

Luxury the camry beats the corolla as the LE and xle come with leather optional sat navigation and JBL premium audio the corolla was never fitted with leather but the 06-07 has an upscale audio system.
The camry also comes with 16inch alloy rim options the corolla is 15 inch steel rim from factory on all models

Economy the corolla has a 1.6 and 1.8L engine while the camry has a 2.5L I4, V6 and hybrid. The camry hybrid comes close to the fuel economy of the corolla but to be on a safer side for 1st timer better to over look the hybrid. The corolla wins in economy but the camry 4 cylinder isn't bad if you want to balance power with economy. As full load the corolla is slow in acceleration.

Maintenance both are OK but camry parts are expensive than corolla. The corolla also has simple engine and parts even the sport version. I have 2 corolla in the family 04 and 07 the 07 has auto lock on moving the gear lever to Dallas, factory installed keyless entry, fog light.

Security both are robber magnet though the 06-07 corolla and most camry come with standard factory alarm systems, they can't be stolen whole when parked on like earlier models, but snatching at gun point has been major user experienced.

Verdict I would push to buy 06-07 corolla staying away from the sport due to bad roads and those with open roof as our weather conditions causes damage to the seals allowing leaks into the cabin.

If you like the camry, leave the SE and XLE with side skirts cause of our roads, push for a LE with all the bells and whistle (luxury edition with factory leather seats) but note most of the people using camry with non chalant attitude end up changing transmission.

please note that some of these points apply only to normal American corolla and Camry. The Altis corolla comes with factory leather, mine was 2008, with left hand drive from factory and had navigation as well.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 9:15am On Oct 01, 2018
antagonist:

please note that some of these points apply only to normal American corolla and Camry. The Altis corolla comes with factory leather, mine was 2008, with left hand drive from factory and had navigation as well.

like you rightly said it's not a corolla but Altis. all japanese domestic market product are more upscale than the us version.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by constronauts: 9:20am On Oct 01, 2018
I appreciate all the guys who's been updating us relevant technical info on this thread,plz I would love to ask, which of these 3 cars do I go for as am in a bid to make this decision having bought and sold my Toyota Avalon due to cost of maintenance. Fuel economy and Spare parts/general cost of maintainance are primary 4me.
On my list is Toyota Corolla 2001 model
Toyota Rav4 1999
Honda CRV 1999/2000

Plz compare...tnx.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Wilfredpat22(f): 10:02am On Oct 01, 2018
nurey:

you are in luck. you should hurry up and pay my groom price it's affordable.

you will also pay matching ground fee to demeanors. grin

It is the man that will pay the bride price not the other way round haba. And can I send you a pm ?

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 10:30am On Oct 01, 2018
Wilfredpat22:

It is the man that will pay the bride price not the other way round haba. And can I send you a pm ?

Yes you are right about the bride price. Yes you can PM

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 10:43am On Oct 01, 2018
constronauts:
I appreciate all the guys who's been updating us relevant technical info on this thread,plz I would love to ask, which of these 3 cars do I go for as am in a bid to make this decision having bought and sold my Toyota Avalon due to cost of maintenance. Fuel economy and Spare parts/general cost of maintainance are primary 4me.
On my list is Toyota Corolla 2001 model
Toyota Rav4 1999
Honda CRV 1999/2000

Plz compare...tnx.

Toyota Corrolla is more economical in the line up, solid engine reliable a good city vehicle.

Rav4 vs CRV
The rav4 is a better all round vehicle than the crv in this comparism. you should pick the rav4 over the crv here.

Though the crv is cheaper than the rav4 price wise it isn't bad but it is susceptible to the leg pull syndrome but a solid looking vehicle.

pick the corolla if you don't need much cargo space.

pick the rav 4 if you need ground clearance and cargo space.

pick the crv if you can be concious of the leg sound and for cheapest among the fleet

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Slazim: 1:26pm On Oct 01, 2018
nurey:

Its a reliable vehicle.

Boss pls what other vehicles are in the category of the vehicle above considering reliability, fuel economy and cost of maintenance?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 1:52pm On Oct 01, 2018
Slazim:

Boss pls what other vehicles are in the category of the vehicle above considering reliability, fuel economy and cost of maintenance?

second generation 1999-2005 isuzu/Honda/Daihatsu rodeo/pilot/frontera
This is the only identical SUV I know will fall within your price range.

The nissan xterra with the 3.3L V6 engine too is solid has identical gas mileage with the pathy but not luxurious just a pure true breed offroader.

The QX4/pathfinder is a good buy but a nigerian used Nissan that has been abused electrically is an headache getting back to factory setup.

what I want you to do is have it that a clean naija used is around 800-1.2m for a 2003 to 2004 model.
Then a complete engine and gear of that car goes for around 400k engine only 250k. If you see a specimen with body intact you can buy and fix especially one with smoking engine but top notch gear.

don't worry the engine is very common and easily found it is fitted to almost 10 vehicles from nissan/infiniti.

As for fuel economy, suv's aren't built for that you will be averaging around 12-15L per 100km with suv if you want around 8-11L per 100km you should focus on CUV (crv rav4, xtrail, sportage)
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by constronauts: 3:59pm On Oct 01, 2018
nurey:

Toyota Corrolla is more economical in the line up, solid engine reliable a good city vehicle.

Rav4 vs CRV
The rav4 is a better all round vehicle than the crv in this comparism. you should pick the rav4 over the crv here.

Though the crv is cheaper than the rav4 price wise it isn't bad but it is susceptible to the leg pull syndrome but a solid looking vehicle.

pick the corolla if you don't need much cargo space.

pick the rav 4 if you need ground clearance and cargo space.

pick the crv if you can be concious of the leg sound and for cheapest among the fleet

Thanks Boss... I usually undertake interstates travels....would Rav4 fuel consumption be very economical?

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (260) (Reply)

How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Car Talk Chat Room / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.