Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,997 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:42 AM

The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread - Car Talk (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread (445034 Views)

A Look At 2019 Armoured Mercedes-Maybach S560,Official Car Of President Buhari / So Buhari's Official Car Na Boi Boi Sef... / Donald Trump's Official Car "The Beast": 15 Amazing Facts You May Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (259) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Jabia(m): 1:56pm On Sep 23, 2018
nurey:

With that road and the traffic you should look for something lighter and not too luxurious so you can save on fuel due to traffic and cheap parts because the road is terrible

Honda CRV
Toyota Rav4
mitsubishi outlander/ASX
hyundai ix35
kia sportage

all this are good alternatives with recent models with cheap and durable parts. Also available in 4cylinder engines

Interesting... I actually live around Iyana Ipaja, I used the Badagry road as a worst case scenario, I never use that road. My typical route is Ikeja - VI - Festac.

Also, it's a bit of a status thing. Can you please do the RX350/Edge/MDX comparison?

Thanks fot your prompt response
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 1:56pm On Sep 23, 2018
Charlssey:
Please I need your inputs.

I plan on getting a second car soon. My current car is a well maintained 96 Carina E for which I only use 10w40
Total 9000 or 0w40 Mobil 1 engine oil with almost 300,000km of mileage on its initial engine and auto transmission. I consider myself a "semi-car enthusiast" and I intend to keep the Toyota for as long as possible as a backup car and for personal reasons.

I wanted something more engaging; a toks 2007 Mercedes c230 or Nigerian used 2008 c300 (not 4matic) but my fiancee prefers a toks 2007/08 crv (2WD) or a 2005 Lexus rx 330 (FWD) . We only drive automatics and she is likely to use the second car more often than myself after marriage. Please could you compare the cars in terms of fuel economy, maintenance costs, durability, driving experience, cabin interior looks, availability of parts and technical know how, unavailability of premium fuel and practicality (in terms of an intending young family with a combined monthly income of about 400k residing in Uyo) .

She is ready to go with my choice though and our daily movements involve a total highway driving of about 50km

PS: I know the 4 cars are not in the same vehicle class.

Thanks

Nurey already gave a fine breakdown. Buy the RX330. Far more luxurious than the CRV. Not very economical, though. grin

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 2:03pm On Sep 23, 2018
ugreat:
Guys I need your thoughts on 2004 Kia Rio

cc Nurey, Heavenlybang, Gazzuzz

No idea about it.
Jabia:

Interesting... I actually live around Iyana Ipaja, I used the Badagry road as a worst case scenario, I never use that road. My typical route is Ikeja - VI - Festac.

Also, it's a bit of a status thing. Can you please do the RX350/Edge/MDX comparison?

Ah, status.
Acuras get shite gas mileage, since they need premium fuel. RX will be more economical.
Both are about par in terms of luxury, tbh. In fact, the MDX is probably better.

The Edge really isn't competition here. It's a notch below the other two.

Anyways, Lexus reliability is unmatched. Get that. It's also a bigger status icon than Acura.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Jabia(m): 2:13pm On Sep 23, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

No idea about it.

Ah, status.
Acuras get shite gas mileage, since they need premium fuel. RX will be more economical.
Both are about par in terms of luxury, tbh. In fact, the MDX is probably better.

The Edge really isn't competition here. It's a notch below the other two.

Anyways, Lexus reliability is unmatched. Get that. It's also a bigger status icon than Acura.

Thanks! I hope I didn't come off as an ego thumping dingbat. That I am not.

I'm not home most of the time, so the ride would be the misus' kettle of fish. Having fully understood the Edge is a notch below, what do you make of it (the edge)?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 2:17pm On Sep 23, 2018
Charlssey:

Thanks nurey.

I knew my fiancee's crv choice was better practically. I recently did a test drive on a 07 c230 and the drive quality was exciting & the cool interior�, hence my confusion.

The Carina e is a lift back so I've already got a vehicle to carry lots of load if the back seats are collapsed.

when 2 become 1 you make some compromises the CRV would be a better knock about vehicle than the benz. Also won't you be happy to know madam drives a reliable easy to maintain car when she hijacks it from you grin

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 2:22pm On Sep 23, 2018
Jabia:

Thanks! I hope I didn't come off as an ego thumping dingbat. That I am not.

I'm not home most of the time, so the ride would be the misus' kettle of fish. Having fully understood the Edge is a notch below, what do you make of it (the edge)?

Oh, no, status is always a factor.

Here are Nurey's thoughts from the last Ford Edge vs Venza inquiry.
nurey:
The ford SEL is not the highest trim but we'll loaded with in dash 6CD loader, cloth seat 6way driver memory with ford my touch.
attention:
1. my touch misbehaves and most dash function is embedded here
2. Too basic for the price tag interior wise
3. the turbo in the 4cylinder is 150,000miles/10 years by 2021 you may need to replace the unit.
4. needs premium fuel

Venza is a well taught out vehicle and highly reliable the 2.7L isn't bad but has a high cabin noise which is know amongst vehicles fitted with such engine (hiace, hilux).
attention:
1. vague steering feel which makes it very far from a performance ride
2. uninspired trim levels not as loaded as the ford.

For reliability and fuel economy the Venza is a car you will enjoy day in day out the V6 would ensure reduced road noise and optimum acceleration, enough cargo space not the most fancy.
The ford edge is an upscale CUV able to hold its own, solid build and huge stamping hp, very strong parts.

Go for the Venza for reliability and fuel economy, pick the ford to stand out and it's build quality.

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 2:22pm On Sep 23, 2018
Jabia:

I would pick the Rx because it is the most reliable

I would pick the Edge next least luxurious but practical than the next contender

The MDX nah baba of them all, it would even be a status vehicle more due to its limited presence on the roads compare to the other 2. But premium fuel baba dey drink and the parts cost are just like the infiniti FX series danfo bash am the guy go run for him life.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Jabia(m): 2:27pm On Sep 23, 2018
nurey:

I would pick the Rx because it is the most reliable

I would pick the Edge next least luxurious but practical than the next contender

The MDX nah baba of them all, it would even be a status vehicle more due to its limited presence on the roads compare to the other 2. But premium fuel baba dey drink and the parts cost are just like the infiniti FX series danfo bash am the guy go run for him life.

grin grin grin
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Charlssey(m): 2:35pm On Sep 23, 2018
nurey:

when 2 become 1 you make some compromises the CRV would be a better knock about vehicle than the benz. Also won't you be happy to know madam drives a reliable easy to maintain car when she hijacks it from you grin
cheesy True words sir.
Thank you
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by debeo: 2:57pm On Sep 23, 2018
Planning to change my Acura MDX latest December. Before now, Mercedes Benz C230 to 350 (07 to 10), were my options but reviews and complains is giving me double mind

Lexus ES350 is very common so am considering it

However, I might need to be doing long distance travels at least once in a quarter next year and am supposed to drive on some pretty bad roads plus Lagos bad roads. The Acura is a beast on any bad road.

Between the MB and Lexus what's your take? Or any other car you might suggest?

P.S. it must be a luxurious vehicle, top notch sound system is VERY VERY, VERY, IMPORTANT. Durability is also important

Thanks in advance
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 3:03pm On Sep 23, 2018
debeo:
Planning to change my Acura MDX latest December. Before now, Mercedes Benz C230 to 350 (07 to 10), were my options but reviews and complains is giving me double mind

Lexus ES350 is very common so am considering it

However, I might need to be doing long distance travels at least once in a quarter next year and am supposed to drive on some pretty bad roads plus Lagos bad roads. The Acura is a beast on any bad road.

Between the MB and Lexus what's your take? Or any other car you might suggest?

P.S. it must be a luxurious vehicle, top notch sound system is VERY VERY, VERY, IMPORTANT. Durability is also important

Thanks in advance
If you can afford it, get the 2011 C350. Much better car.

Mark Levinson on the Lexus is excellent, probably a bit worse than the HK on the MB, though.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HybridWatchDog: 3:23pm On Sep 23, 2018
Planning to pick a very reliable, practical, fuel economical and low maintenance budget v6 SUV, with the 2012 Highlander, 2012 Pilot and 2012 Explorer on my mind, though open to others available for comparison from my choices. I would like your unbiased analysis and assessment please sirs', though I've heard that the Explorer has some factory issues so hoping to hear from the gurus.
Thanks

cc nurey, gazzuzz, kingreign, heavenlybang, weyreypey etc
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by debeo: 3:42pm On Sep 23, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

Mark Levinson on the Lexus is excellent, probably a bit worse than the HK on the MB, though.

How about it's off road abilities, is it very very bad?
Maintenance? Can it take any temporary abuse?

E.g: am very careful where I do my repairs, if my car develops small fault and am in say Owerri where I know no reliable mechanic, I would prefer to manage it down to Lagos then fix.

Can it handle that?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 4:10pm On Sep 23, 2018
ugreat:
Guys I need your thoughts on 2004 Kia

reliable and parts are cheap. Do buy one with injector for better fuel economy and easy diagnosis. Though the carburetor fitted isn't bad too.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 4:31pm On Sep 23, 2018
HybridWatchDog:
Planning to pick a very reliable, practical, fuel economical and low maintenance budget v6 SUV, with the 2012 Highlander, 2012 Pilot and 2012 Explorer on my mind, though open to others available for comparison from my choices. I would like your unbiased analysis and assessment please sirs', though I've heard that the Explorer has some factory issues so hoping to hear from the gurus.
tc

All contenders share same 3.5L V6 the situation is pretty close in all aspect.

The highlander though is a CUV if you don't wanna break it quick don't drive it like a SUV.

The Ford here is a dieing breed on our roads but a reliable suv in the states. The Ford touch has been known to give issues but still a reliable vehicle but parts are expensive when not scarce.

The highlander continues on the Toyota reliability index with the Limited AWD most luxurious of its trim. Ok leather seats with indash screen entertainment with backup rear camera.

The Pilot Touring is the luxurious of the lot has everything including park assist and a solid entertainment package. The box like stance gives it a off road balance and ability with the 3.5L V6 engine. The FWD has a better fuel economy than the AWD.

If you aren't in need of a serious off road vehicle the highlander should be top on the list

If you want a more engaging fun to drive vehicle the explorer should be your choice

if you want a road tank the facelift 2012 Honda Pilot touring is your choice.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by kingreign(m): 6:12pm On Sep 23, 2018
HybridWatchDog:
Thanks

cc nurey, gazzuzz, kingreign, heavenlybang, weyreypey etc

Team Highlander

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by kingreign(m): 6:15pm On Sep 23, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

Different audio tuners tune the audio systems in their target cars to meet varying usage. The ML is tuned to feel natural or like a concert hall. HK on the other hand is surround sound with some bass.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by sKeetz(m): 7:23pm On Sep 23, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

2007/2008 Acura TL, 2005/2006 Lexus ES330, 2008 Toyota Camry, 2009 Honda Accord, 2005 Mercedes C320, 2007 Mercedes C230.

A recent Hyundai Elantra is a good option, too.

Huh? The RX350 has a 3.5L V6, hence "350".

Hello sir, Good day.

I have finally settled for the Mercedes 2007 c230. Would you advise me to get a neatly used Nigerian one or throw in more cash and preorder from the us?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Jomandi13(m): 7:37pm On Sep 23, 2018
Hi Nurey,
I ve been going through the pages from one,it's been educative and informative.Thumbs up to you and the likes of heavenlybang and Gazzuzz.
However,I want your candid opinion about Honda accord 2007 model,what are the peculiar trouble-shooting issues with the vehicle and compare it with Honda Accord 2008.Thanks
Cc:
Gazzuzz
Heavenlybang
Nwanenni etc

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:45pm On Sep 23, 2018
debeo:

How about it's off road abilities, is it very very bad?
Maintenance? Can it take any temporary abuse?

E.g: am very careful where I do my repairs, if my car develops small fault and am in say Owerri where I know no reliable mechanic, I would prefer to manage it down to Lagos then fix.

Can it handle that?

You don't buy a sedan for off-roading. The C350 is a sports sedan. The ES350 may be better but if my ES330 is anything to go by, it's probably also low af. I haven't driven the ES350 on bad terrain, so I can't tell.

Especially ES350 has a more reliable drivetrain. 2GR is excellent, and I'd trust it to not sheet the bed way more than I'd trust the M272 or M276 on the Mercedes.

Lexuses are generally a lot more reliable and will handle more abuse.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:46pm On Sep 23, 2018
kingreign:

Different audio tuners tune the audio systems in their target cars to meet varying usage. The ML is tuned to feel natural or like a concert hall. HK on the other hand is surround sound with some bass.

True. Lexuses are more of comfort cruisers, so it makes sense to have a more relaxed audio setup.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 7:49pm On Sep 23, 2018
Jomandi13:
Hi Nurey,
I ve been going through the pages from one,it's been educative and informative.Thumbs up to you and the likes of heavenlybang and Gazzuzz.
However,I want your candid opinion about Honda accord 2007 model,what are the peculiar trouble-shooting issues with the vehicle and compare it with Honda Accord 2008.Thanks
etc

2007 accord is very very ok no know issues. just ensure when changing linkages, shafts etc in front ensure you change complete and buy original parts not brandnew Chinese knockoff.

The 08 is an improvement on the accord generation against its predecessors

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:52pm On Sep 23, 2018
sKeetz:

Hello sir, Good day.

I have finally settled for the Mercedes 2007 c230. Would you advise me to get a neatly used Nigerian one or throw in more cash and preorder from the us?

Foreign used. Wouldn't trust that M272 in the hands of the average Nigerian mechanic. Save yourself future stress. Ensure you have the service records/carfax of the car.

I'm curious, though. Why didn't you go for an Elantra or TL?
Jomandi13:
Hi Nurey,
Cc:
Gazzuzz
Heavenlybang
Nwanenni etc

Well, the 07 will be more reliable than the 08. Ball joint issues are probably the exception. 08 is a first year model and I think the i4 had issues with burning oil.

Why not a 2009?

My knowledge on the 08+ generation of Accords isn't the best.

Cc: Nurey

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HybridWatchDog: 8:54pm On Sep 23, 2018
Thank you nurey for the analysis, it is helpful.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Olasultan(m): 9:25pm On Sep 23, 2018
Hi,
I need to compare these vehicles and rank them.
2006 BMW X3
2009 BMW X5
2006 VOLVO XC 90
For everyday use, 120km drive 3 times in a week with 20km on untarred road.
Rank in terms of durability, easiest to maintain, cheapest spare parts and best drive experience.
Also problems to expect for each vehicle.
Thanks very much.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 10:33pm On Sep 23, 2018
Olasultan:
Hi,
I need to compare these vehicles and rank them.
2006 BMW X3
2009 BMW X5
2006 VOLVO XC 90
For everyday use, 120km drive 3 times in a week with 20km on untarred road.
Rank in terms of durability, easiest to maintain, cheapest spare parts and best drive experience.
Also problems to expect for each vehicle.
Thanks very much.

All these vehicles aren't an everyday breed but I can vouch for volvo and the X5. The X3 I do see around too but not much.
in terms of popularity XC90 then X3 then X5.

The volvo is a solid car but stay away u repeat stay away from the 8 cylinder engine tagged T8. The T5 and T6 are ok. The T8 has a factory defect gear system I won't go into much details. Gas mileage 17/23

The X5 is a solid car all round the 3.0L I6 engine is known for been slow in acceleration weight to power wasn't thought out well. The V8 engine is the true beauty of this ride and a reliable solid car none the less. fuel economy isn't great 15/21

The X3 was produced to assist the X5 as a smaller version and it did well increasing sales. That tells us it's a good car it has a fair fuel economy 17/25.

BMW has always been known as the ultimate driving machine with their build quality, strong engine and sport prowess of their vehicles.

The volvo is the most practical of the lot a very sturdy build with navigation system, 3rd row seat, safety ranking and more popular than the BMWs. Its stance makes it a good off road vehicle and it is easy to work on. You may have challenges with some rear parts though.

Any of the vehicle you fancy you can pick but ensure you leave the I6 BMW X5 if you hate slow pickup and the T8 fitted volvo XC90.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by radautoworks: 4:40am On Sep 24, 2018
Jabia:
Hello Gents (and lady!).

I intend to purchase my first vehicle in a couple of months. I'd like something a bit stylish, but fairly affordable. The 'future' misus would prefer we get the most recent model we can afford. Our main concerns are fuel consumption, reliability, readily available parts/technicians, and some resistace to fairly bad roads (Think Mile 2 - Badagry express).

I'm currently considering the Ford Edge, Acura MDX and Lexus RX350 (2010 - 2013 models). Budget is 3 - 4 million NAIRA. Doable?

Thanks for your time.

cc: nurey HeavenlyBang radautoworks

My personal preference is the Acura MDX though you should consider the RDX AWD with tech package (it's my daily car). But because of parts, Lexus might be better for you. I wouldn't downgrade to the other cars being suggested.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Jabia(m): 10:00am On Sep 24, 2018
radautoworks:

My personal preference is the Acura MDX though you should consider the RDX AWD with tech package (it's my daily car). But because of parts, Lexus might be better for you. I wouldn't downgrade to the other cars being suggested.

Thanks ma'am. I looked through some of your topics and you struck a cord:

How much do the following cost for an RX350, MDX and RAV 4?:

*Tire Rotor/brake pads
*Tires
*Shocks
*Fuel pump
*Starter coil

I've tried using your car parts size and to get rough estimates, no dice (perhaps because I'm not really good at this )

Tanchu!

EDIT:

How does the RDX compare against the MDX? Any for/against(s).

Big hugs to Baby Radu!
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by debeo: 10:38am On Sep 24, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

You don't buy a sedan for off-roading. The C350 is a sports sedan. The ES350 may be better but if my ES330 is anything to go by, it's probably also low af. I haven't driven the ES350 on bad terrain, so I can't tell.

Especially ES350 has a more reliable drivetrain. 2GR is excellent, and I'd trust it to not sheet the bed way more than I'd trust the M272 or M276 on the Mercedes.

Lexuses are generally a lot more reliable and will handle more abuse.

Thanks Boss!
I appreciate!
I've driven SUV for over 9 years now (Rav 4 and MDX), I want to try a sedan. The off road will only be occasional, would have actually gone for RX350 but somehow I don't like the shape personally. (Am biased like that).

Lemme study the Lexus more. I appreciate!

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:09am On Sep 24, 2018
debeo:

Thanks Boss!
I appreciate!
I've driven SUV for over 9 years now (Rav 4 and MDX), I want to try a sedan. The off road will only be occasional, would have actually gone for RX350 but somehow I don't like the shape personally. (Am biased like that).

Lemme study the Lexus more. I appreciate!

You're welcome!
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Jomandi13(m): 1:45pm On Sep 24, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

Foreign used. Wouldn't trust that M272 in the hands of the average Nigerian mechanic. Save yourself future stress. Ensure you have the service records/carfax of the car.

I'm curious, though. Why didn't you go for an Elantra or TL?

Well, the 07 will be more reliable than the 08. Ball joint issues are probably the exception. 08 is a first year model and I think the i4 had issues with burning oil.

Why not a 2009?

My knowledge on the 08+ generation of Accords isn't the best.

Cc: Nurey
Thanks so much.I appreciate your advice.My Uncle is importing the 07 accord. from US.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Jomandi13(m): 1:51pm On Sep 24, 2018
nurey:

2007 accord is very very ok no know issues. just ensure when changing linkages, shafts etc in front ensure you change complete and buy original parts not brandnew Chinese knockoff.

The 08 is an improvement on the accord generation against its predecessors
Thanks so much for the advice,very helpful.My Uncle is importing the 07 accord from US.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (259) (Reply)

How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Car Talk Chat Room / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.