Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,346 members, 7,819,232 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:06 PM

The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread - Car Talk (177) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread (446802 Views)

A Look At 2019 Armoured Mercedes-Maybach S560,Official Car Of President Buhari / So Buhari's Official Car Na Boi Boi Sef... / Donald Trump's Official Car "The Beast": 15 Amazing Facts You May Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (174) (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) ... (259) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:42pm On May 20, 2021
dadabashua1:
yea I know just talking about year of production not generation Sir,guess the generation of that Camry is the 6th 07- 011 as against accords of 08-012,just considering the year model not the generation,I personally think there might be small modifications on year models despite being same Generation,just like the oil burning is said to be not common on 2011 model year as against 2007-2009 despite being same generation,so I personally will prefer the newer models of same generation(last model year),my personal preference anyway

2010 was facelift year.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by dadabashua1(m): 7:45pm On May 20, 2021
HeavenlyBang:

2010 was facelift year.
OK
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by valarinz: 1:27pm On May 22, 2021
chronos00:

"Better" engine is relative. An engine can be better than others in some categories, and be less effective in other categories.

The 2007 XC90 only has 2 engine variants. 3.2l I6, and 4.4l V8. The T5 and T6 engines were eliminated for the XC90 after 2006. There's also the D5 engine for 2007, but that's a diesel engine and wasn't available in North America.

The 3.2l I6 is capable for the XC90, puts out 235 bhp and adequate torque, gets the vehicle up and moving reasonably well. The fuel efficiency is also adequate for its weight and is comparable to other models in that category.

The 4.4l V8 is the top engine for the 07 XC90. Puts out 311 bhp, impressive torque for its size, and is the engine of choice for the active driver. Naturally the expected worry would be fuel economy in a V8, however the difference in real world fuel economy between the V8 and the I6 is really not significant, under normal, average driving conditions in everyday commuting.

Slam on the V8 throttle however, and all that changes. The increased V8 performance naturally translates to increased fuel consumption and lower fuel economy. The same applies to the I6 in spirited driving, but less so.

A vehicle is much more than just its engine, of course.

The V8 engine comes in the top XC90 trims, and typically has the most available options. AWD, third row seating, rear AC setup, pop up display, headrest DVD displays, etc. If you're lucky and find the V8 Sport trim, it's the Holy grail for the 07. Had fine leather stitching, blue backlit dash gauges, sport 19" wheels, sport exhaust tips, and other V8 sport specific options.

The 3.2l I6 typically is available in FWD, may also have third row seating and the entertainment options.

Both trims are mated to a 6 speed automatic transmission from AISIN-WARNER, which does a relatively capable job. Certainly better than the earlier T5 and T6, the latter of which was a well known fiasco.

In summary, your priorities would determine which trim would be most suitable.

Do you get upset and triggered when random vehicles accelerate past you? The V8 is the engine for you.

Do you enjoy engine baritone? That deep hum that shows up during spirited driving? The V8 is the engine for you.

Do you pay more attention to smiles per gallon, at the expense of miles per gallon?

The V8 is the engine for you.

Do you often traverse poor, offroad inclined terrain? The Haldex AWD would do you some good, though it may not be the most powerful in its class.

Nice one bro!!!

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by thebigkendo(m): 4:26pm On May 22, 2021
chronos00:

"Better" engine is relative. An engine can be better than others in some categories, and be less effective in other categories.

The 2007 XC90 only has 2 engine variants. 3.2l I6, and 4.4l V8. The T5 and T6 engines were eliminated for the XC90 after 2006. There's also the D5 engine for 2007, but that's a diesel engine and wasn't available in North America.

The 3.2l I6 is capable for the XC90, puts out 235 bhp and adequate torque, gets the vehicle up and moving reasonably well. The fuel efficiency is also adequate for its weight and is comparable to other models in that category.

The 4.4l V8 is the top engine for the 07 XC90. Puts out 311 bhp, impressive torque for its size, and is the engine of choice for the active driver. Naturally the expected worry would be fuel economy in a V8, however the difference in real world fuel economy between the V8 and the I6 is really not significant, under normal, average driving conditions in everyday commuting.

Slam on the V8 throttle however, and all that changes. The increased V8 performance naturally translates to increased fuel consumption and lower fuel economy. The same applies to the I6 in spirited driving, but less so.

A vehicle is much more than just its engine, of course.

The V8 engine comes in the top XC90 trims, and typically has the most available options. AWD, third row seating, rear AC setup, pop up display, headrest DVD displays, etc. If you're lucky and find the V8 Sport trim, it's the Holy grail for the 07. Had fine leather stitching, blue backlit dash gauges, sport 19" wheels, sport exhaust tips, and other V8 sport specific options.

The 3.2l I6 typically is available in FWD, may also have third row seating and the entertainment options.

Both trims are mated to a 6 speed automatic transmission from AISIN-WARNER, which does a relatively capable job. Certainly better than the earlier T5 and T6, the latter of which was a well known fiasco.

In summary, your priorities would determine which trim would be most suitable.

Do you get upset and triggered when random vehicles accelerate past you? The V8 is the engine for you.

Do you enjoy engine baritone? That deep hum that shows up during spirited driving? The V8 is the engine for you.

Do you pay more attention to smiles per gallon, at the expense of miles per gallon?

Do you often traverse poor, offroad inclined terrain? The Haldex AWD would do you some good, though it may not be the most powerful in its class.

Interesting.. I use to think all 07 and above XC90 have AWD and 3rd row seats
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by valarinz: 5:52pm On May 22, 2021
thebigkendo:

Interesting.. I use to think [s]all 07 and above XC90 have AWD and 3rd row seats[/s]

Majority aint even AWD
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by thebigkendo(m): 7:09pm On May 22, 2021
valarinz:

Majority aint even AWD

Hmmmm.. now I know
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Cedarfarms: 10:06pm On May 22, 2021
Pls house, is the 2013 elantra a good buy, in comparison with the Toyota's (Corolla) & Honda's(civic) in same category......?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Philadelphia: 8:34am On May 23, 2021
Cedarfarms:
Pls house, is the 2013 elantra a good buy, in comparison with the Toyota's (Corolla) & Honda's(civic) in same category......?

Kill that idea of the Sentra and take the civic instead.
That’s the top choice for me amongst the 3

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Cedarfarms: 12:57pm On May 23, 2021
Philadelphia:

Kill that idea of the Sentra and take the civic instead.
That’s the top choice for me amongst the 3

Ok thanks
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by ade95: 3:17pm On May 23, 2021
Hi guys .. please wht do you think about Acura TL 2008 … anything I should be worried about ? I am also open to other brands within same price with reliability and not boring like Toyotas
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 3:47pm On May 23, 2021
ade95:
Hi guys .. please wht do you think about Acura TL 2008 … anything I should be worried about ? I am also open to other brands within same price with reliability and not boring like Toyotas

Good car. Look at an Infiniti G35 of same year, too.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by KyrianOkeke(m): 6:05pm On May 23, 2021
Pls house, I'd like a comparison between lexus es350 & Infiniti G35x... which of them is okay for a first time car owner, considering factors like purchase & maintainance cost, performance & reliability?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 6:20pm On May 23, 2021
KyrianOkeke:
Pls house, I'd like a comparison between lexus es350 & Infiniti G35x... which of them is okay for a first time car owner, considering factors like purchase & maintainance cost, performance & reliability?

ES.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Aaaaarghmed(m): 7:04pm On May 23, 2021
ade95:
solid ride,nothing to be worried about.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by quam9997(m): 7:44pm On May 23, 2021
Hi guys, just found out this thread and honestly you guys are the best. So Quick one, I’m looking to get my first ride soon and I’m thorn between a 2014 Honda Accord and Acura TSX 2013. So I‘ll appreciate your honest opinions in terms of features, fuel consumption, durability, maintenance and second hand value and overall H2H rating if possible. Gracias
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:57pm On May 23, 2021
quam9997:
Hi guys, just found out this thread and honestly you guys are the best. So Quick one, I’m looking to get my first ride soon and I’m thorn between a 2014 Honda Accord and Acura TSX 2013. So I‘ll appreciate your honest opinions in terms of features, fuel consumption, durability, maintenance and second hand value and overall H2H rating if possible. Gracias

Accord V6 by far.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Nobody: 8:18pm On May 23, 2021
ade95:

Very good ride, mine is almost hitting 200k miles and still firing. I hardly drive it these days but everytime I have to, it reminds me of what I miss.

You will have issues getting some parts especially if you don't live in lagos but you can always source from there.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Chocychoco: 11:53pm On May 23, 2021
Which one is more preferable Ml 350 2007 or rx 330 2006
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 9:33am On May 24, 2021
Chocychoco:
Which one is more preferable Ml 350 2007 or rx 330 2006

RX 330 is easier to maintain and own than the ML350.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by vosquare: 3:14pm On May 24, 2021
Hello bosses.
I've been following this thread for so long and I must commend the work you do here. I've learnt a lot. Thank you.

I have some questions. I'm asking some on behalf of somen of my colleagues and myself.

1. Honda accord 2014 and lexus es 350 2008, which will you recommend for a first timer and why? Fuel consumption not really necessary cause the aim is v6 engine.

2. With a budget of 4-5m,which car will you recommend? Driving, reliability, access to spare parts and all. Not really looking into Lexus es 350 2008 because is like water here and it meets all what is needed. If you have any other brand that can match up with the requirements. Maybe acura.

3. Will you advice a first timer to buy a luxury car or not? The budget is 4-5m.

Thank you sirs
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 4:25pm On May 24, 2021
vosquare:
Hello bosses.
I've been following this thread for so long and I must commend the work you do here. I've learnt a lot. Thank you.

I have some questions. I'm asking some on behalf of somen of my colleagues and myself.

1. Honda accord 2014 and lexus es 350 2008, which will you recommend for a first timer and why? Fuel consumption not really necessary cause the aim is v6 engine.

2. With a budget of 4-5m,which car will you recommend? Driving, reliability, access to spare parts and all. Not really looking into Lexus es 350 2008 because is like water here and it meets all what is needed. If you have any other brand that can match up with the requirements. Maybe acura.

3. Will you advice a first timer to buy a luxury car or not? The budget is 4-5m.

Thank you sirs

1. Accord
3. Accord. Or 2012 Acura TL.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by vosquare: 6:03pm On May 24, 2021
HeavenlyBang:

1. Accord
3. Accord. Or 2012 Acura TL.
Thanks. I checked jiji to have an idea of the price of the acura. Nothing less than 5m for foreign used shocked
What year of the accord are you recommending?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by abootoyyib(m): 6:51am On May 25, 2021
Please I am planning buying my first car this month or early next month.

My budget is 2M - 2.5M.

I am looking at buying either Lexus Es330 2006 Model or Toyota Corolla 2010 .

Please I need help as regard the fuel consumption, maintenance cost, Part accessibility etc. (Assuming I earned an average income of #50,000 per month )

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Philadelphia: 10:31am On May 25, 2021
abootoyyib:

My budget is 2M - 2.5M.

Please I need help as regard the fuel consumption, maintenance cost, Part accessibility etc. (Assuming I earned an average income of #50,000 per month )

Heavenlybang wouldn’t like the sound of the bolded.

OP, my choice will be the Lexus ES330 with the most loaded option.

With your budget, you’d only get a Nigerian used as it stands now but 2m may not get you one in very decent condition.

However, make sure you inspect and scan dutifully before making payments.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 10:48am On May 25, 2021
abootoyyib:

My budget is 2M - 2.5M.

You need a vehicle that is luxurious yet reserved I would rather buy a Honda civic 2010 the EX trim or if I can get a Acura CSX even better.

Corolla is far fuel efficient than ES but the luxury standout in the Lexus is not even available in 2020 Corolla.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:53am On May 25, 2021
Philadelphia:

With your budget, you’d only get a Nigerian used as it stands now but 2m may not get you one in very decent condition.

Income is too low to maintain a car in Nigeria. Some may not like the sound of that but it's a fact.

I would go with a Nigerian used 2008 i4 Accord. Loaded.

nurey:

You need a vehicle that is luxurious yet reserved I would rather buy a Honda civic 2010 the EX trim or if I can get a Acura CSX even better.

Corolla is far fuel efficient than ES but the luxury standout in the Lexus is not even available in 2020 Corolla.

Have you been inside a 2020 Corolla?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 10:58am On May 25, 2021
HeavenlyBang:

Income is too low to maintain a car in Nigeria. Some may not like the sound of that but it's a fact.

I would go with a Nigerian used 2008 i4 Accord. Loaded.

Have you been inside a 2020 Corolla?

In pix yes and that is a metaphor grin
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by AstroG: 11:01am On May 25, 2021
[
Philadelphia:

The bolded is a fat and wonderful lie,my guy bought toks last week for 2m at Enugu self.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Philadelphia: 11:44am On May 25, 2021
AstroG:
[

The bolded is a fat and wonderful lie,my guy bought toks last week for 2m at Enugu self.

I won’t argue with you but those who know the fact know the fact

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Gravatar: 4:41pm On May 25, 2021
AstroG:

Abeg help me ask your guy if his gun is still available
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Deigofortune: 5:12pm On May 25, 2021
Please How much Can I get Honda Civic 2007 front Bumper Tok..?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Nobody: 6:20pm On May 25, 2021
I want an in-depth analysis of Hyundai Elantra 2011 toks .

(1) (2) (3) ... (174) (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) ... (259) (Reply)

How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Car Talk Chat Room / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.