Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,141 members, 7,818,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:35 PM

The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread - Car Talk (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread (446563 Views)

A Look At 2019 Armoured Mercedes-Maybach S560,Official Car Of President Buhari / So Buhari's Official Car Na Boi Boi Sef... / Donald Trump's Official Car "The Beast": 15 Amazing Facts You May Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (259) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:26pm On Dec 11, 2018
radautoworks:
https://gearpatrol.com/2018/12/11/15-worst-used-cars-to-buy-from-2007-2017/

You have been warned grin

Sounds like quite the random list. I'm having a hard time believing that the Q50 isn't reliable.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by radautoworks: 10:43pm On Dec 11, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

Sounds like quite the random list. I'm having a hard time believing that the Q50 isn't reliable.

Looking in the wrong place. You had to click on the link list. Fixed previous post smiley
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:58pm On Dec 11, 2018
radautoworks:

Looking in the wrong place. You had to click on the link list. Fixed previous post smiley

That's a more sensible list. Tbh, CR's definition of reliability is flawed. Some of those cars have reliable powertrains (most important) but have a few niggling issues like maybe peeling dashboards and the likes, then they get reported on CR en masse, and get listed as unreliable.

A car with wonky doors may be listed as unreliable when it really isn't that big a deal in terms of, you know, actual drivability.

I much prefer Dashboard Lights.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Imstin: 2:33am On Dec 12, 2018
Please I will like to compare
Lexus GS 350 vs Benz C300/C350

Lexus RX 330 vs Benz Ml 350

NB: I like Benz for the class and prestige it gives one but I also hear that Benz can be a difficult car to maintain and I'm wondering how true this is...
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 7:36am On Dec 12, 2018
Imstin:

NB: I like Benz for the class and prestige it gives one but I also hear that Benz can be a difficult car to maintain and I'm wondering how true this is...

The E350 is no contender to the GS350 so the C class has no chance.

The ML is a bullet proof vehicle and you did enjoy every ride you get in it, the turning radius is something else have been in the 2nd generation ML 350 looks small on the outside but wide on the inside.

Base to Base I did say the Rx is a bit upscale.

The benz are very good and not difficult to maintain if you do the right thing, solid engine and transmission, strong body and shocks. Just ensure you work with a scanner when fixing and you are good to go.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:15am On Dec 12, 2018
Imstin:

C Class competes with the IS. GS competes with the E Class. A GS350 is a way better car than a C350.

ML350 is a notch above the RX too. Handles better, looks better, has more prestige. Fit and finish on the RX is a tad better, I'd say. Also the RX will be considerably cheaper to own, it's reliable as hell.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by afoife: 9:18pm On Dec 12, 2018
Pls I have an option to choose between these cars c180 and C200 the later is naija used but the 180 is tools.

Pls advice

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:53pm On Dec 12, 2018
afoife:
Pls I have an option to choose between these cars c180 and C200 the later is naija used but the 180 is tools.

Pls advice

C200 Kompressor is a better car. Inspect properly before purchasing.

3 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by afoife: 9:58pm On Dec 12, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

C200 Kompressor is a better car. Inspect properly before purchasing.

Thanks for your Swift response. Please where are you situated
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by CityNGR: 10:02pm On Dec 12, 2018
buy the c180 it is toks.... and indestructible
years later you will thank me the c200 w203 interior tends to fall apart, it hates water SAM issues, etc etc arm issues too
afoife:

Pls advice

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:07pm On Dec 12, 2018
afoife:

Thanks for your Swift response. Please where are you situated

Just doing my job. Not sure how my location is relevant here, though.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:10pm On Dec 12, 2018
CityNGR:
years later you will thank me the c200 w203 interior tends to fall apart, it hates water SAM issues, etc etc arm issues too

Yes, correct. That's why it's very important he gets it properly inspected.

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by afoife: 10:10pm On Dec 12, 2018
CityNGR:

Egbon is that you? Egun If so pls I still need your contact sir.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Control7: 4:53pm On Dec 24, 2018
Good Evening. Merry Christmas Everyone.

I need to make a choice between 2009 - 2011 Camry Sport i4 or V6, which year is better.

Thanks

Cc:

HeavenlyBang
CityNGR
Nurey
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by CityNGR: 5:07pm On Dec 24, 2018
Control7:

I need to make a choice between 2009 - 2011 Camry Sport i4 or V6, which year is better.

Thanks

Cc:

HeavenlyBang
CityNGR
Nurey
For travelling I'd pick the v6 any day. But for city driving the I4 is it!!

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Control7: 5:12pm On Dec 24, 2018
CityNGR:

For travelling I'd pick the v6 any day. But for city driving the I4 is it!!
Thanks. Which year would you suggest
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by sKeetz(m): 5:29pm On Dec 24, 2018
Im planning on preordering my first car soon. I need something exciting and fun to drive for a young man in his mid 20s. Reliability and cost of maintenance is a must. My budget is 3 million naira. What cars can you suggest to me?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 5:30pm On Dec 24, 2018
Control7:

2009 preface lift 2.4L i4 5 speed auto 157hp

10-11 facelift 2.5L i4 6 speed auto 169hp

V6 is still the 3.5L same from 07 to 11.

depending on month of manufacture you can see some 09 with the 2.5L 6 speed configuration

the 2011 the last year of production should be considered above all.

Engine configuration is your choice to me I always prefer 4cylinder due to traffic and a 4cylinder will still do interstate comfortably.

Note this car is a robber magnet install tracker or insurance though stealing whole is very rare but gun point occurs more often

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 5:37pm On Dec 24, 2018
sKeetz:
Im planning on preordering my first car soon. I need something exciting and fun to drive for a young man in his mid 20s. Reliability and cost of maintenance is a must. My budget is 3 million naira. What cars can you suggest to me?

2013 VW Beetle DUNE

2015 Volvo S40 2.4T

2008 infiniti G37

2006 Nissan 350z fairlady

2005 Ford mustang cobra attack edition

2007 lexus IS250

2006 benz C350

2006 BMW E46 330Xi

2006 Honda civic Europe type R
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Control7: 6:03pm On Dec 24, 2018
nurey:

2009 preface lift 2.4L i4 5 speed auto 157hp

10-11 facelift 2.5L i4 6 speed auto 169hp

V6 is still the 3.5L same from 07 to 11.

depending on month of manufacture you can see some 09 with the 2.5L 6 speed configuration

the 2011 the last year of production should be considered above all.

Engine configuration is your choice to me I always prefer 4cylinder due to traffic and a 4cylinder will still do interstate comfortably.

Note this car is a robber magnet install tracker or insurance though stealing whole is very rare but gun point occurs more often

Thanks.
I appreciate
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:38pm On Dec 24, 2018
Control7:

Thanks

Cc:

HeavenlyBang
CityNGR
Nurey

There's not a single situation where an i4 is preferable to a V6. Especially when the V6 is a 2GR.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:41pm On Dec 24, 2018
sKeetz:

Infiniti G37 Coupe, my friend.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by sKeetz(m): 11:11pm On Dec 24, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

Infiniti G37 Coupe, my friend.

It looks pretty cool. But I would prefer a normal 4 door.
Why did you suggest it though?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:19pm On Dec 24, 2018
sKeetz:

It looks pretty cool. But I would prefer a normal 4 door.
Why did you suggest it though?

Then just get the 2007 G35 sedan. 300 HP+, great drive feel, very reliable, and plenty luxury. Engine is also much cheaper than the G37's.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Nobody: 11:37pm On Dec 24, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

There's not a single situation where an i4 is preferable to a V6. Especially when the V6 is a 2GR.
supercgarged i4 undecided
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:43pm On Dec 24, 2018
nwanneni:
supercgarged i4 undecided

Lmao. A naturally aspirated V6 will always be better than an i4 with a blower. There's no replacement for displacement.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Nobody: 11:45pm On Dec 24, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

Lmao. A naturally aspirated V6 will always be better than an i4 with a blower. There's no replacement for displacement.
what is/are your criteria for "better"?
Let's start from here first
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 1:04am On Dec 25, 2018
nwanneni:
what is/are your criteria for "better"?
Let's start from here first

More reliable, better sounds, and there's something about having a big engine belching fire and brimstone under you that a charged smaller engine will never be able to replicate.

Yes, a charged engine may put up similar HP numbers, yes it may have more low-end torque, but nothing, and I mean nothing, will ever replace a big engine.

Mercedes has a 2.0L turbocharged engine doing 375 HP but I'd take a V8 doing similar numbers instead. Displacement is king.

Also, your charged i4 loses steam at higher speeds. Your powerband is designed for lower end acceleration. An i4 may beat a V6 with similar HP numbers to 60 MPH, but the V6 will definitely catch up and overtake once they both get to 90 MPH or so.

It's not even an i4 issue, it's just how forced induction works. Checkout the Lexus LFA vs Nissan GTR races. A V10 vs a twin turbo V6. GTR starts out ahead but always ends up behind the LFA. It's just how it is. /shrugs
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by sKeetz(m): 8:20pm On Dec 26, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

Then just get the 2007 G35 sedan. 300 HP+, great drive feel, very reliable, and plenty luxury. Engine is also much cheaper than the G37's.

Compliments of the season sir

What do you think about a Lexus is250? I was considering it before you suggested the g37 now am at crossroads. How do these two cars fare side by side?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:55pm On Dec 26, 2018
sKeetz:

Compliments of the season sir

What do you think about a Lexus is250? I was considering it before you suggested the g37 now am at crossroads. How do these two cars fare side by side?

Happy holidays, mate.

I shared my thoughts on the IS250 a few days ago. See below.

2314GT:
Please I need to be educated. I always wonder why this car is always more expensive that the 2006 Lexus ES 330 which is a more luxurious car IMO.

Demand. And Lexus reliability ensures the car holds value well. That said, personally I see no reason to shell out over 3m for an IS250. It's a slow car, the ride quality isn't the best, and the rear legroom is nonexistent. Plus there are carbon buildup issues.

But it's a Lexus, and the fit and finish is excellent. The sound system is great, and it's very reliable. It's a Lexus.

The IS250 isn't in the same league with the G37. You get into an Infiniti G37 and you become one of the fastest road users. The IS250 is a cramped, entry level luxury sedan. The G37 is an almost mid-size luxury sports sedan.

Also, like I said, the IS250's engine is prone to carbon buildup due to a shitty direct injection system. The engine is only like 80k, though, I believe.

That aside, the IS will be cheaper to maintain/own than the G37. But that's just relative, of course, since the G is still one of the most reliable sports sedans ever made.

You want a casual ride that gets you from point A to B in adequate style, you get an IS250.

You want a machine that transports you, and when you drive past, your stock exhaust note has people wondering who the fook is in that rare, beautiful beast...you get an Infiniti G37.

I would never buy an IS250 in a world where the Infiniti G exists.

That said, the IS has a softer, more premium interior. It is a Lexus.

My two cents.

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by FreeConCiencE: 8:51am On Dec 28, 2018
Good day house. Your help is needed. From your pool of knowledge and experiences, I need your sincere advice and I want you to educate me on which one I should buy among 07,08,09,010 Toyota camry. Considering whether it is LE, SE and XLE. Also, I heard of hybrid too. What does hybrid mean? Also, how does number of plugs affect the car...i mean 4 plug or V6?
Thanks.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:42am On Dec 28, 2018
FreeConCiencE:
Good day house. Your help is needed. From your pool of knowledge and experiences, I need your sincere advice and I want you to educate me on which one I should buy among 07,08,09,010 Toyota camry. Considering whether it is LE, SE and XLE. Also, I heard of hybrid too. What does hybrid mean? Also, how does number of plugs affect the car...i mean 4 plug or V6?
Thanks.

4cy has less power and better fuel economy. Buy if you just want to go to where you're going to without stress. 6cyhas more power, worse fuel economy.

That Camry was facelifted in 2010. The four cylinder engine was replaced in the facelift year with a way more reliable engine. 6cy engine stayed the same.

If you want to buy a 4cy model, please buy the 2010. You'll be fine with a 2008/2009 V6, though.

Skip the 2007.

LE, SE, and XLE are various trim levels. XLE is the top trim. SE is the sports model, I believe. Only cosmetic changes, I think.

Hybrid uses an electric battery in conjunction with the engine. Best fuel economy of the bunch. Not worth it, imo, ignore it.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (259) (Reply)

How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Car Talk Chat Room / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.