Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,366 members, 7,819,315 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:17 PM

The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread - Car Talk (42) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread (446810 Views)

A Look At 2019 Armoured Mercedes-Maybach S560,Official Car Of President Buhari / So Buhari's Official Car Na Boi Boi Sef... / Donald Trump's Official Car "The Beast": 15 Amazing Facts You May Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (259) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by dipcyn(m): 2:03pm On Feb 10, 2019
Please I need help, I need advice on which of these cars to buy: 2010 Toyota Camry, 2011 Honda Accord, 2012 Hyundai Sonata and 2012 Volkswagen Passat.

Am mainly concerned about reliability, comfort, fuel economy, equipment and maintenance cost.

Things like brand recognition and resale value are not important to me. Thanks
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 3:08pm On Feb 10, 2019
dipcyn:
Please I need help, I need advice on which of these cars to buy: 2010 Toyota Camry, 2011 Honda Accord, 2012 Hyundai Sonata and 2012 Volkswagen Passat.

Am mainly concerned about reliability, comfort, fuel economy, equipment and maintenance cost.

camry 2.5L 4 cylinder 169-179hp and 3.5L 6 cylinder 268hp 0-60 in 6.2secs 22/33mpg (i4) and 19/28 (v6)

Accord 2.4L 4 cylinder 177-190hp and 3.5L 6 cylinder 271hp 0-60 in 6.4secs 23/34 (i4) and 20/30 (v6)

Sonata 2.4L 4 cylinder 176-200hp, 2.0T turbo 4 cylinder 272hp and ordinary 2.0 163hp. 24/35 for non turbos and 22/33 for the 2.0T

VW passat 1.4L to 3.6L The 2012 passat is a B7 it's V6 is the 3.6L R36 with 296hp 0-62 in 5.8secs. 20/28

Reliability I will give the Toyota cary this round, second place the sonata 3rd place accord 4th passat.

comfort The passat tops here with everything you need to stay awake and gauges prim and ready with necessary lights to give you a comfortable driving experience, the accord follows and 3rd place is the sonata while the cary is last here.

Fuel economy I would rate the passat high with its 1.4 to 2.0L 4cylinder engines giving the best fuel economy. Also it's diesel engine variant is on par with the car and sonata hybrid engine economy. The Accord places last here no hybrid or diesel.

Equipment The passat tops here with state of the art audio, visual and comfort equipments followed by The accord, in 3rd place is both the sonata and cary depending on trim.

maintenance cost camry tops all, followed by Accord then sonata the passat is at the bottom.

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by ogtavia(m): 7:27pm On Feb 11, 2019
nurey:

It is durable, solid and good looking. The 3.5L engine is also capable but as it's still a Ford parts are on the high side.
Part is still the same as ford edge since they are both same thing, so ford technician technicians can fix it

Greetings Nurey. For your assistance in the past and the request I am about to make, I say a huge thank you.

I need your expert advice. I am about getting a V6 2010 Toyota Camry (took a while to make up my mind) but I have been seeing pictures (really nice pictures) of the Ford Edge 2008 on nairaland and atimes, at the same price as the Camry.

Please Nurey, is the Ford Edge SEL as economical as the Camry and is it a good first car (most likely to be used as an everyday vehicle)?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by CityNGR: 8:14pm On Feb 11, 2019
ogtavia:

Greetings Nurey. For your assistance in the past and the request I am about to make, I say a huge thank you.

I need your expert advice. I am about getting a V6 2010 Toyota Camry (took a while to make up my mind) but I have been seeing pictures (really nice pictures) of the Ford Edge 2008 on nairaland and atimes, at the same price as the Camry.

Please Nurey, is the Ford Edge SEL as economical as the Camry and is it a good first car (most likely to be used as an everyday vehicle)?

Village people be winking at you...

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by CityNGR: 8:19pm On Feb 11, 2019
dipcyn:

Comfort VW Passat Honda accord sonata and Camry

Reliability Camry Accord Sonata and VW Passat

Fuel economy read up the engine specifications.

Equipment VW Passat, Accord, Sonata and Camry.

Maintenance cost Accord/Camry Sonata and VW Passat

Anything else?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 9:33pm On Feb 11, 2019
ogtavia:

The Ford edge had a SE - SEL - Limited and Sport in order of luxury respectively.

The year you are eyeing would probably have a 3.5L V6 not the 3.7L V6 or the 2.0T 4 cylinder engine which both were offered from 2011.

I would say the 2.0T is a good engine but not as economical as the i4 camry but same as V6 camry 20/28.

if you are uping ur budget and looking at the 2.0T the turbo warranty is 150k miles or 10 years with naija used and bad oil just remove 50k miles on top grin

it's a reliable vehicle overall with a solid stance the major costly parts are body parts, brand new parts aren't the ever chinko of the Toyota and Honda. You will be fine with it

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Ephort: 11:12pm On Feb 11, 2019
I need an advice on a good Nigerian used car that a budget of 700k to 800k max could get. I'm in Abuja.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by enet1(m): 4:17pm On Feb 12, 2019
What is your advice for a first timer that want to buy a Toyota RAV 4 1999 Nigerian Used Car? Is the car problematic? How is the fuel consumption and general maintenance tips? Thanks in advance.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 4:44pm On Feb 12, 2019
Ephort:
I need an advice on a good Nigerian used car that a budget of 700k to 800k max could get. I'm in Abuja.

Any low budget vehicles common there would do

kia Rio
Hyundai accent
Peugeot 206 or 406
Honda civic and city
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 4:47pm On Feb 12, 2019
enet1:
What is your advice for a first time that want to get a Toyota RAV 4 Nigerian Used Car?Should I get it or not?

yes you can pay for the car after a technician has inspected it. The rav4 2001 to 2003 automatic transmission has a factory ECU defect thar leads to transmission failure ensure you read up and research if your specimen falls within those years
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Philadelphia: 6:20pm On Feb 12, 2019
nurey:

yes you can pay for the car after a technician has inspected it. The rav4 2001 to 2003 automatic transmission has a factory ECU defect thar leads to transmission failure ensure you read up and research if your specimen falls within those years

All these factory defects here and there sef. Which car will person now buy that is gonna be problem-free?

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 6:23pm On Feb 12, 2019
Philadelphia:

All these factory defects here and there sef. Which car will person now buy that is gonna be problem-free?

CARmasutra 2019 model grin
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by CityNGR: 6:30pm On Feb 12, 2019
Ephort:

Get a 1997-2001 Mercedes Benz C class.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 6:52pm On Feb 12, 2019
So, I'm here with a comparison question. The answerer becomes the questionnaire. grin
I'm looking to upgrade and I have a few options right now. I already have solid information on all of them but I'd prefer to have opinions from others, especially since I bet some of you have actually driven a number of these.

Criteria:
Straight line performance
Handling
Total driving experience
Reliability
Cost of maintenance
Badge prestige
Luxury (fit and finish, ride quality)
Technology and features

My options
2007 Infiniti G35 sedan
2006 CLK 500
2008 Infiniti G37 Coupe
2004/2005 Porsche Cayenne S
2006 Lexus IS350

Cc: Nurey, Costee, Kingreign, Jakumo, CityNGR, Radautoworks, Gazzuzz, Banky3w, thebigkendo, obekediamondfuto, mammanbawa, OPUSDEI, Philadelphia and the host of Demeanors worldwide. grin
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 7:44pm On Feb 12, 2019
HeavenlyBang:
So, I'm here with a comparison question. The answerer becomes the questionnaire. grin
I'm looking to upgrade and I have a few options right now. I already have solid information on all of them but I'd prefer to have opinions from others, especially since I bet some of you have actually driven a number of these.

Criteria:
Straight line performance
Handling
Total driving experience
Reliability
Cost of maintenance
Badge prestige
Luxury (fit and finish, ride quality)
Technology and features

My options
2007 Infiniti G35 sedan
2006 CLK 500
2008 Infiniti G37 Coupe
2004/2005 Porsche Cayenne S
2006 Lexus IS350

CLK500 C209 if it doesn't have Air suspension

2007 G35 a sedan with sport affiliate

2008 G37 I actually prefer convertible than Coupe even though they are identical

IS350 if you don't get bored easily

Cayenne S well who wants to be importing parts everytime he needs one or join cooperative just to make ends meet.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:54pm On Feb 12, 2019
nurey:

2008 G37 I actually prefer convertible than Coupe even though they are identical

Cayenne S well who wants to be importing parts everytime he needs one or join cooperative just to make ends meet.
CLK doesn't have an air suspension. I'm a bit weary of W203 issues like AC and the rest, since they share parts.

G37 Convertible wasn't until 2009, I believe. And I don't like cabriolets anyway.

Surely the Cayenne statement is exaggerated? I've gotten really positive feedback about it.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by MotorGuru: 8:08pm On Feb 12, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

CLK doesn't have an air suspension. I'm a bit weary of W203 issues like AC and the rest, since they share parts.

G37 Convertible wasn't until 2009, I believe. And I don't like cabriolets anyway.

Surely the Cayenne statement is exaggerated? I've gotten really positive feedback about it.

Believe it or not, the Cayenne (particularly the V8) is quite reliable.

Aside the Cayenne, your choices would have led me to believe you are considering a very careful balance of Horsepower to weight...
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 9:40pm On Feb 12, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

But I didn't really take you for a racist, why did you omit Volvo in your line up, are they not the epitome of tecunologee grin

The V8 engines was never fitted in any W203 line up not even their AMG though the m273 made it in the 05-07 lineup which was a facelift all problem solved W203. Don't expect engine parts to be same definitely your compressor would be different. Also the CLK received an improvement in 2004 I guess you are within the safety net.

how can you not like cabriolets guess you are an old man tongue

The cayenne was just an exaggeration, borne from a thread where the engine was transplanted with a pathfinder 1997 3.0L V6 engine due to cost.

With my experience in automobiles I have never come across a poorly built V8 engine before, apart from fuel consumption in city runs, I know they are reliable and indestructible.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by kingreign(m): 9:48pm On Feb 12, 2019
nurey:

Why would anyone get bored in a baby Lexus?

If one of the most finest japanese art with cheap plenty power which is very reliable.

It tops the list, then Mercedes Benz follows.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:19pm On Feb 12, 2019
MotorGuru:

Believe it or not, the Cayenne (particularly the V8) is quite reliable.

Aside the Cayenne, your choices would have led me to believe you are considering a very careful balance of Horsepower to weight...

Yes, I've generally heard good things about the Cayenne. Taking it off my list for social reasons, though. And yeah, I'm mostly looking at fast cars that can pretty much go head to head with anything on Nigerian roads, without leaving me in a ditch after. grin

nurey:

But I didn't really take you for a racist, why did you omit Volvo in your line up, are they not the epitome of tecunologee grin

The V8 engines was never fitted in any W203 line up not even their AMG though the m273 made it in the 05-07 lineup which was a facelift all problem solved W203. Don't expect engine parts to be same definitely your compressor would be different. Also the CLK received an improvement in 2004 I guess you are within the safety net.

how can you not like cabriolets guess you are an old man tongue

The cayenne was just an exaggeration, borne from a thread where the engine was transplanted with a pathfinder 1997 3.0L V6 engine due to cost.

With my experience in automobiles I have never come across a poorly built V8 engine before, apart from fuel consumption in city runs, I know they are reliable and indestructible.
Lol, I'm not interested in any of Volvos offerings right now.

I know the W209 and W203 don't share V8s. They're built on the same platform, though, and share most other parts, including HVAC and suspensions, I believe.

Yeah, those V8's are solid. The M113 on the CLK500, in particular, has been known to run upwards of 300k miles.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Abdomox: 5:45pm On Feb 13, 2019
Hi All,

Is there anyone who has insured his car with Axa Mansard and got free vehicle tracker? How effective is the tracker.

Also, kindly recommend best tracker for vehicles in Nigeria.

Thanks.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by radautoworks: 7:17pm On Feb 13, 2019
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 8:13pm On Feb 13, 2019
radautoworks:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2019/02/13/j-d-power-2019-lexus-toyota-porsche-most-reliable-dependable-cars/2846324002/

*Cough* where are the Honda heads? lipsrsealed

Toyota will forever be ranked high because for every class of vehicle the competitor produces, there are 5 Toyota products you have to reckon with.

Camry, Avalon,toyota mark II, toyota crown, toyota Avensis all this for only the Accord to compete we never add the assorted lexus ooo.

Toyota matrix, Toyota corolla, pontiac vibe, Toyota XA, toyota yaris, toyota echo, toyota prius, The scion line ups etc just for only civic and city

scion XB, rav4, highlander, toyota Noah, toyota Avanza, toyota rush etc for only CRV haba madam fear God

grin

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Nobody: 9:16pm On Feb 13, 2019
nurey:

Toyota will forever be ranked high because for every class of vehicle the competitor produces, there are 5 Toyota products you have to reckon with.

Camry, Avalon,toyota mark II, toyota crown, toyota Avensis all this for only the Accord to compete we never add the assorted lexus ooo.

grin

Lol. I like ur humor. But on a serious note, only the Camry and Avalon are sold in the US. The Avensis is for European market where the Camry doesn't sell.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 9:27pm On Feb 13, 2019
greenhulk:

Lol. I like ur humor. But on a serious note, only the Camry and Avalon are sold in the US. The Avensis is for European market where the Camry doesn't sell.

if Honda has 5 models of vehicles it offers for sale in the whole of US just multiply it by 3 and you get number of Toyota models, if you now join the Acura to Honda and it's like 10 models in the whole of US just be ready to multiply that by 5 for all Toyota affiliates grin.

it was in 2018 I realized lexus models alone Toyota makes is around 12 to 15.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:29pm On Feb 13, 2019
nurey:

if Honda has 5 models of vehicles it offers for sale in the whole of US just multiply it by 3 and you get number of Toyota models, if you now join the Acura to Honda and it's like 10 models in the whole of US just be ready to multiply that by 5 for all Toyota affiliates grin.

it was in 2018 I realized lexus models alone Toyota makes is around 12 to 15.

IS, ES, GS, LS, LC, RC, NX, UX, RX, CT. Don't believe Lexus has any other models right now.

You're right, though, since Acura only has TLX, RDX, MDX, RL, and ILX. 5 vs 10, and the RL is going away too.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 9:32pm On Feb 13, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

IS, ES, GS, LS, LC, RC, NX, UX, RX, CT. Don't believe Lexus has any other models right now.

GX, LFA, LX, HS and SC they are actually 14 or more in number
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:55pm On Feb 13, 2019
nurey:

GX, LFA, LX, HS and SC they are actually 14 or more in number

You're absolutely correct. Don't know how I managed to forget the GX and LX.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Nobody: 10:15pm On Feb 13, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

You're absolutely correct. Don't know how I managed to forget the GX and LX.

U also forgot Acura nsx grin
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:36am On Feb 14, 2019
greenhulk:

U also forgot Acura nsx grin

That, too. But it's a Honda in most parts of the world.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Nobody: 8:04am On Feb 14, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

That, too. But it's a Honda in most parts of the world.

Just like the Lexus RX is Toyota harrier in some parts of the world. Well until recently
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by collele(m): 8:14am On Feb 14, 2019
nurey:

anyone you can afford out of the 2 is ok. they are both solid vehicles but the 2002-2009 has a more modern appeal than the 1996-2001 model year.

What is the best price I can get for a toks Toyota picnic or a very sound Nigerian used one?

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (259) (Reply)

How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Car Talk Chat Room / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.