Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,355 members, 7,836,452 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread - Car Talk (45) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread (450980 Views)

A Look At 2019 Armoured Mercedes-Maybach S560,Official Car Of President Buhari / So Buhari's Official Car Na Boi Boi Sef... / Donald Trump's Official Car "The Beast": 15 Amazing Facts You May Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (260) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 5:43pm On Feb 27, 2019
graysight:
Hi friends!
I would really appreciate it if I could get your thoughts and recommendations for purchasing a car.
My budget is between 1.3M - 1.8M. It 'd be for personal use and very much likely would use it for a ride-hailing service when I'm off work or during my spare time.
So, my considerations are fuel economy, durability, ease of maintenance and driveability. Some luxury would be cool too.
I could exceed the budget slightly for something really good close to that range.
Thanks for all the help!!!

Corolla, Civic.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by weyreypey: 5:46pm On Feb 27, 2019
graysight:
Hi friends!
I would really appreciate it if I could get your thoughts and recommendations for purchasing a car.
My budget is between 1.3M - 1.8M. It 'd be for personal use and very much likely would use it for a ride-hailing service when I'm off work or during my spare time.
So, my considerations are fuel economy, durability, ease of maintenance and driveability. Some luxury would be cool too.
I could exceed the budget slightly for something really good close to that range.
Thanks for all the help!!!

W202 C class, civic and corolla
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by graysight: 7:18pm On Feb 27, 2019
weyreypey:

W202 C class, civic and corolla

HeavenlyBang:

Corolla, Civic.

Thanks! What year for these models, please?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Banks92(m): 8:47am On Mar 02, 2019
Hello Gurus in the house.
I am looking to buy my very first car soon. Budget is about 1.6m.
Which cars will you advice I go for.
My problem is that I don't want something that is very common (Big daddy and early Corollas)
I have been looking at 2005/2006 Avalon. Is this a good car for a starter? Do they come with issues or problems?

Abeg make una help me
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 9:07am On Mar 02, 2019
Banks92:
My problem is that I don't want something that is very common (Big daddy and early Corollas)
I have been looking at 2005/2006 Avalon. Is this a good car for a starter? Do they come with issues or problems?

Abeg make una help me

you will only be able to afford a naija used, I think Tokunbo starting price is around 1.8m. the 2grfe 3.5L V6 is a very good engine. but not city driving friendly in terms of fuel economy.

if you don't want a common vehicle you can check out

Nissan sentra 02-08
mitsubishi lancers 09 below
kia Rio hatchback
hyundai verna
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:12am On Mar 02, 2019
Banks92:

Abeg make una help me

Mazda 3/Honda Civic.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Philadelphia: 4:51pm On Mar 03, 2019
Oya oo.
Make unu come make we compare 2010 Lexus ES350 with 2010 Honda Accord Crosstour. cool
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 8:02pm On Mar 03, 2019
Philadelphia:
Oya oo.
Make unu come make we compare 2010 Lexus ES350 with 2010 Honda Accord Crosstour. cool

The crosstour is a wagon accord. I don't think the Accord is loaded enough to stand toe to toe with the ES.

overall in standard and optional equipment the ES350 is better. The crosstour though a wagon has a catchy attention which makes it standout.

I think for considering the crosstour there is something about it that catches your fancy online the Abundant on road lexus ES.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by timilehing(m): 11:53pm On Mar 03, 2019
Good evening house
I need a detailed comparison of 06 Corolla, Big daddy and Avanza. Vehicle is to be used for Chauffeur services & weekend owanbe bookings & possibly daily kids drop off & pick up for some clients.
Business Location is a Southwest state(not Lagos)

Truth is, I sọ much love the Avanza with the 7-seat & small engine & ground clearance but I'm not seeing enough of it on the road like other models. Probably something is not right somewhere? Maintenance? Part availability?.
Thanks
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 6:16am On Mar 04, 2019
timilehing:
Good evening house
I need a detailed comparison of 06 Corolla, Big daddy and Avanza. Vehicle is to be used for Chauffeur services & weekend owanbe bookings & possibly daily kids drop off & pick up for some clients.
Business Location is a Southwest state(not Lagos)

Truth is, I sọ much love the Avanza with the 7-seat & small engine & ground clearance but I'm not seeing enough of it on the road like other models. Probably something is not right somewhere? Maintenance? Part availability?.
Thanks

The avanza is not common because majority found in Nigeria were bought brand new and it wasn't sold in US market. The avanza came majorly in the 1.5L engine but some had the 1.3L engine which it shared with Toyota yaris.

I don't know much about it but my mum's friend had one which she used for a while though car is abandoned now and I think the gear is the issue (gear shift is left in D) I am guessing replacement is hard to source. But if you take care of any Toyota product you did be fine.

No much talk about the corolla just to reiterate that it is a known robber magnet

The big daddy has enough room for both passengers and cargo, reliable but the 2az has strip headbolt in some also a robber magnet but not as pronounced as corolla.

The Avanza best option would be the 1.5G variant very loaded and won't be slow on full load (7seats). which ever you decide you are covered
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by timilehing(m): 2:01pm On Mar 04, 2019
nurey:

The avanza is not common because majority found in Nigeria were bought brand new and it wasn't sold in US market. The avanza came majorly in the 1.5L engine but some had the 1.3L engine which it shared with Toyota yaris.

I don't know much about it but my mum's friend had one which she used for a while though car is abandoned now and I think the gear is the issue (gear shift is left in D) I am guessing replacement is hard to source. But if you take care of any Toyota product you did be fine.

No much talk about the corolla just to reiterate that it is a known robber magnet

The big daddy has enough room for both passengers and cargo, reliable but the 2az has strip headbolt in some also a robber magnet but not as pronounced as corolla.

The Avanza best option would be the 1.5G variant very loaded and won't be slow on full load (7seats). which ever you decide you are covered
So I can conclude that Avanza parts are not as surplus as Corolla/Camry parts?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 3:05pm On Mar 04, 2019
timilehing:
So I can conclude that Avanza parts are not as surplus as Corolla/Camry parts?

Yes but if you like the avanza so much you can look at
Toyota avensis verso
Toyota corolla verso
Toyota picnic
Toyota previa
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Rubbiish(m): 9:35pm On Mar 04, 2019
nurey:

you will only be able to afford a naija used, I think Tokunbo starting price is around 1.8m. the 2grfe 3.5L V6 is a very good engine. but not city driving friendly in terms of fuel economy.

if you don't want a common vehicle you can check out

Nissan sentra 02-08
mitsubishi lancers 09 below
kia Rio hatchback
hyundai verna

How bad is the fuel economy for 06 avalon?
Those wey don use avalon abeg make una chok mouth put.
the car is not very common & it scare me, make i no enter one chance...
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 10:00pm On Mar 04, 2019
Rubbiish:

How bad is the fuel economy for 06 avalon?
Those wey don use avalon abeg make una chok mouth put.
the car is not very common & it scare me, make i no enter one chance...

mpg city 20, highway 28

it's not common because it is a full size luxurious vehicle aimed at executives and it's only available in V6 engine
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Rubbiish(m): 10:08pm On Mar 04, 2019
nurey:

mpg city 20, highway 28

it's not common because it is a full size luxurious vehicle aimed at executives and it's only available in V6 engine
meaning its fuel consumption is higher than camry & the likes?
because i didn't understand the mpg city & highway 28. thanks
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 11:02pm On Mar 04, 2019
Rubbiish:
meaning its fuel consumption is higher than camry & the likes? because i didn't understand the mpg city & highway 28. thanks
CITY corolla 8L/100km
camry 10L/100km (4cylinder)
Avalon 13.1L/100km
Highway corolla 5.5-6L/100km
Camry 8L/100km (4cylinder)
Avalon 8.8L/100km The V6 camry is a bit close to the V6 avalon

3 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Rubbiish(m): 11:07pm On Mar 04, 2019
nurey:

CITY corolla 8L/100km
Avalon 13.1L/100km
Highway corolla 5.5-6L/100km
Avalon 8.8L/100km The V6 camry is a bit close to the V6 avalon
thank u very much.. corolla is very economical
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by picaso313(m): 11:56am On Mar 05, 2019
between a mercrdes benz ml350 2009, cls 55 amg and infiniti fx50 (wit v6 engine) which is more durable and easy to maintain
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 6:10pm On Mar 05, 2019
picaso313:
between a mercrdes benz ml350 2009, cls 55 amg and infiniti fx50 (wit v6 engine) which is more durable and easy to maintain

Infiniti FX50 is a V8. Better look away from that CLS55.

Speed: CLS55>FX50>ML 350
Handling: CLS55>FX50>ML 350
Luxury: CLS55> FX50>ML 350
Fuel economy: ML 350>FX50>CLS55
Ease of maintenance: FX40>ML 350>CLS55

Personally, I'd buy the FX50. It's the logical, most balanced option.
Also, it has the best looks imo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Greenarrow01(m): 9:40pm On Mar 05, 2019
Heavenly bang. I will really like to appreciate the job you re doing here.. Without even any monetary reward. I am looking to buy my first car for my 25th birthday. I will be back June.
Thanks for yhe great work.. I am following and I am so proud of you.
Lol I have been following since the first page

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 12:22am On Mar 06, 2019
Greenarrow01:
Heavenly bang. I will really like to appreciate the job you re doing here.. Without even any monetary reward. I am looking to buy my first car for my 25th birthday. I will be back June.

You're welcome, bro. I've also learnt a lot from this thread, haha.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Nobody: 6:10am On Mar 06, 2019
Greenarrow01:

I was expecting to read that you're getting a car for heavenlybang on your 25th birthday to appreciate his great work smiley

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by picaso313(m): 9:55am On Mar 06, 2019
thanks awhole lot... found this really helpful... thou was considering cls coz of d AmG engine n d speed same as d loud sound.... coz i fear infiniti mite not be too durable aspa .... wat do u have to say about the durability of d engine n gear box infact... wats ur take on the durability
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:06am On Mar 06, 2019
picaso313:

You sent me a mail?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:09am On Mar 06, 2019
picaso313:
thanks awhole lot... found this really helpful... thou was considering cls coz of d AmG engine n d speed same as d loud sound.... coz i fear infiniti mite not be too durable aspa .... wat do u have to say about the durability of d engine n gear box infact... wats ur take on the durability

That Infiniti is rock solid. Engine and transmission are far more reliable than the other two options. Just don't allow roadside mechanics mess with the car; Nissan electricals can be pretty complicated. But then again, same goes for Mercedes.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by picaso313(m): 12:14pm On Mar 06, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

That Infiniti is rock solid. Engine and transmission are far more reliable than the other two options. Just don't allow roadside mechanics mess with the car; Nissan electricals can be pretty complicated. But then again, same goes for Mercedes.
thanks alot i am very convinced now... infact 1 chilled beer 4 u..
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by deboten: 2:56pm On Mar 06, 2019
Good day folks. I bought a 1998 Sienna xle for my wife in 2016 because I love cars with space basically. It consumes at least #10k fuel a week (Ikotun to Ikeja) without AC (bad for now). I have decided to sell it off because of its fuel economy and other reasons too. I want to buy her a 4cylinder engine car of the Toyota family with a good fuel economy, relatively cheap maintenance and good second-hand value too. I'm considering the big daddy Camry (was told not to go close to the 05 and 06 years cause of transmission issues among others), Matrix (my wife said she loves that) and the muscle Camry (I love big things). I've spoken with a number of friends and I get confused the more.

I need the candid advice of gurus in the house as to which of these I should go for bearing in mind that I'm considering a naija-used of any because of my budget of #1m NOW though can be stretched if the choice car is worth it.

Apologies for my epistle.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by deboten: 3:13pm On Mar 06, 2019
Good day folks. I bought a 1998 Sienna for my wife in 2016 because of my love for spacious cars. it consumes #10k fuel weekly (Ikotun to Ikeja) which I consider high. I've decided to sell the car off because of this reason and others. I'm considering a big-daddy Camry (was told to run far away from 05 and 06 years mainly because of transmission problems and others), Matrix (my wife said she likes the car) and a muscle Camry (wife likes it too and I love it because it's roomy). I've spoken with a couple of friends and I get confused the more hence my coming here.

I'd like the candid advice of the gurus in the house as to which of these cars (naija-used) to go for considering a budget of #1m NOW though can be stretched if the choice car is worth it. I'll also drive the car once in a while when in town and I'm a 6ft 3inches guy (pretty long legs). Thanks as I await your urgent response.

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 6:24pm On Mar 06, 2019
deboten:
Good day folks. I bought a 1998 Sienna xle for my wife in 2016 because I love cars with space basically. It consumes at least #10k fuel a week (Ikotun to Ikeja) without AC (bad for now). I have decided to sell it off because of its fuel economy and other reasons too. I want to buy her a 4cylinder engine car of the Toyota family with a good fuel economy, relatively cheap maintenance and good second-hand value too. I'm considering the big daddy Camry (was told not to go close to the 05 and 06 years cause of transmission issues among others), Matrix (my wife said she loves that) and the muscle Camry (I love big things). I've spoken with a number of friends and I get confused the more.

I need the candid advice of gurus in the house as to which of these I should go for bearing in mind that I'm considering a naija-used of any because of my budget of #1m NOW though can be stretched if the choice car is worth it.

The cary big daddy 05 or 06 doesn't have transmission issues, it was fitted with 2azfe a 4cylinder Toyota engine which was known to burn oil and had stripped head bolt issue. Not all the 2azfe but some batch.

The matrix is a good solid vehicle has a 4WD version evident when you look under at the rear an axle is present so when you get such specimen remember to put axle oil to avoid damage of the axle.

The cary muscle is also good, the 2007 has gear issues a known factory defect, it also comes with the 2azfe from 07 to 09, the 10 and 11 had a better 2arfe engine.

your 1m can't get you a solid cary muscle that starts from 1.5m. The 05-06 cary would be cheaper as naija used 1st body can go for 850 to 900 the remaining change use it to fix to your taste.
To cut your expenses down ensure the specimen you select is inspected by a mechanic, it has already been fitted with alloy wheels pot holes cause steel rim deformity

goodluck

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by FreeConCiencE: 6:53am On Mar 07, 2019
Is 2007/08 Lexus ES 350 a good car in terms of everything? Experts in the house, help a brother oo
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 7:22am On Mar 07, 2019
FreeConCiencE:
Is 2007/08 Lexus ES 350 a good car in terms of everything? Experts in the house, help a brother oo

Yes it is

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Rubbiish(m): 6:39pm On Mar 07, 2019
nurey:

CITY
corolla 8L/100km

Avalon 13.1L/100km

Highway
corolla 5.5-6L/100km

Avalon 8.8L/100km
The V6 camry is a bit close to the V6 avalon
hello sir
do u have any info on 04 lexus ES 330 fuel consumption?
thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (260) (Reply)

How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Car Talk Chat Room / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.