Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,820 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:45 AM

Oil Change Dilemma - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Oil Change Dilemma (2431 Views)

Oil Change: Toyota Corolla 2003, Advice Needed Urgently / .... The Power Of Mobil 1 Extended Performance After 12k miles oil change / 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oil Change Dilemma by joeruano: 11:25pm On Aug 26, 2018
I want to change the oil for servicing of my Toyota Camry (Big Daddy) 2003 model from Mobil to the recommended Toyota oil but I was told if I did, I would be grappling with low oil pressure issue. And that the engine is old, so the recommended oil is too light to be efficient, so the Mobil I'm presently using is better.

Any truth in that?
Re: Oil Change Dilemma by diportivo: 5:34am On Aug 27, 2018
joeruano:
I want to change the oil for servicing of my Toyota Camry (Big Daddy) 2003 model from Mobil to the recommended Toyota oil but I was told if I did, I would be grappling with low oil pressure issue. And that the engine is old, so the recommended oil is too light to be efficient, so the Mobil I'm presently using is better.

Any truth in that?

glen radautoworks knows these stuffs better

she will enlighten us sir
Re: Oil Change Dilemma by joeruano: 6:10am On Aug 27, 2018
diportivo:

glen radautoworks knows these stuffs better
she will enlighten us sir

She. It's a serious matter. Waiting for her to do justice to it
Re: Oil Change Dilemma by AutoElectNG: 6:29am On Aug 27, 2018
joeruano:

Any truth in that?

Mobil XHP 20w50 to Total 5w30?
V6 or i4?
Current mileage?
Re: Oil Change Dilemma by joeruano: 6:51am On Aug 27, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Mobil XHP 20w50 to Total 5w30?
V6 or i4?
Current mileage?

I'm presently using Mobil Super 1000 20w 50
(The recommended oil is Toyota 5w 30)

V6

Mileage :Can't tell cos an unscrupulous electro rolled it back to zero some years back
Re: Oil Change Dilemma by oluwaseunla(m): 6:53am On Aug 27, 2018
joeruano:

Any truth in that?

Bolded above is wrong. I assumed your Mobil oil is the popular 20W-50. Does the engine short oil presently? Does it have sludge?
Re: Oil Change Dilemma by joeruano: 6:57am On Aug 27, 2018
oluwaseunla:

Bolded above is wrong. I assumed your Mobil oil is the popular 20W-50. Does the engine short oil presently? Does it have sludge?

Yes, you guessed right. The rating is 20W 50. You are a qualified Nigerian.

It does not 'short oil'

As for sludge, I don't know. How can I find out if there's sludge?
Re: Oil Change Dilemma by oluwaseunla(m): 7:00am On Aug 27, 2018
joeruano:

Yes, the rating is 20W 50. You are a qualified Nigerian.

It does not 'short oil'

As for sludge, I don't know. How can I find out if there's sludge?

Open oil cover, take a peep into the hole, look at the underside of the cover too. That may give you an idea, especially if the sludge is excessive. Is everything looking clean, or does it have some brown grease like stuff.
Re: Oil Change Dilemma by autologic: 7:35am On Aug 27, 2018
Stick with the Mobil oil if you have used it up to 2 years plus your fan is ran direct.
Re: Oil Change Dilemma by joeruano: 7:39am On Aug 27, 2018
Here's are photos of the cover and the

Re: Oil Change Dilemma by autologic: 7:42am On Aug 27, 2018
joeruano:
Here's are photos of the cover and the
Is the oil content that is needed to be seen not cover.
Re: Oil Change Dilemma by joeruano: 7:45am On Aug 27, 2018
autologic:
Stick with the Mobil oil if you have used it up to 2 years plus your fan is ran direct.

Used it for more than 2 years and my fan is direct but I opted to run it with thermostat but I was advised against it by my electro
Re: Oil Change Dilemma by joeruano: 7:56am On Aug 27, 2018
autologic:
Is the oil content that is needed to be seen not cover.
Oil content cannot be seen due to the design
Re: Oil Change Dilemma by AutoElectNG: 8:03am On Aug 27, 2018

Re: Oil Change Dilemma by radautoworks: 8:25am On Aug 27, 2018
Nm. Carry on grin

Re: Oil Change Dilemma by radautoworks: 8:26am On Aug 27, 2018
joeruano:

Used it for more than 2 years and my fan is direct but I opted to run it with thermostat but I was advised against it by my electro

Why was this decision made in the first place? What was going on?
Re: Oil Change Dilemma by joeruano: 8:32am On Aug 27, 2018
AutoElectNG:
You need to take off the entire valve cover for inspection

source: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es300-330-350-300h-classifieds/561207-1mz-fe-powder-coated-valve-covers-for-sale.html

I don't know where to find any valve cover inside or around the oil entrance hole. It's hard to find
Re: Oil Change Dilemma by joeruano: 8:34am On Aug 27, 2018
radautoworks:

Why was this decision made in the first place? What was going on?

Which of the decisions? The decision to run it with thermostat? If it is, I made it cos I believed the thermostat was put there for a good reason in the first place.
Re: Oil Change Dilemma by joeruano: 8:37am On Aug 27, 2018
radautoworks:
Nm. Carry on grin

Ah ah! I thought you were the engine oil matters Prof. We had been waiting for your scholarly input na.
Re: Oil Change Dilemma by radautoworks: 8:57am On Aug 27, 2018
To run the fan direct.

I differ in opinion from majority on Nairaland and say switch back to 5w30.
Re: Oil Change Dilemma by EngRichie: 12:35pm On Aug 27, 2018
Get high mileage version of recommended viscosity oil (Mobil sells) or use xW40 grade oil (like Total quartz 9000 5w40 or Mobil 0w40).
First ensure that your engine is not heavily sludged already.

EngRichie
Automobile Help Desk.

1 Like

Re: Oil Change Dilemma by joeruano: 8:13pm On Aug 27, 2018
afolarin206:
You need to take off the entire valve cover for inspectionsource: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es300-330-350-300h-classifieds/561207-1mz-fe-powder-coated-valve-covers-for-sale.html

I don't really understand this valve advert. I was expecting to see how to find the valve and remove it in other to see the oil in its compartment, not advert
Re: Oil Change Dilemma by AutoElectNG: 9:10am On Aug 28, 2018
joeruano:

I don't really understand this valve advert. I was expecting to see how to find the valve and remove it in other to see the oil in its compartment, not advert

Please view this link https://mega.nz/#F!qxxwBQxI!O_uyTkgS6IkpwDcWs4o7PA

IMG 4739 TO IMG 4770 highlights what is known as the valve cover.

I think with your level of automotive knowledge....you should let a pro do this for you.
Re: Oil Change Dilemma by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:15am On Aug 28, 2018
Don't switch back. Use the 20W50 you've been using, it's fine as long as you change oil every 2-3k miles.
Re: Oil Change Dilemma by joeruano: 7:03pm On Aug 28, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Please view this link https://mega.nz/#F!qxxwBQxI!O_uyTkgS6IkpwDcWs4o7PA

IMG 4739 TO IMG 4770 highlights what is known as the valve cover.

I think with your level of automotive knowledge....you should let a pro do this for you.

Thanks, but the link is dead
Re: Oil Change Dilemma by AutoElectNG: 11:23pm On Aug 28, 2018
joeruano:

Thanks, but the link is dead

It is not dead

Re: Oil Change Dilemma by diportivo: 4:25am On Aug 29, 2018
can we just gedifok out of this valve cover shyte like right now

dude needs advice,not reasons to hold a spanner undecided

if there's sludge in this engine it's not excessive.....the oil filler cap doesn't show signs of that from what I can see.i might be blind tho grin

oga op,switch na and den tell us what u experienced

I hope you have coolant in your radiator and that you are planning to return your fan/thermostat to factory spec too?

if you wanna do this oil thingie you shld consider doing every other thing too
Re: Oil Change Dilemma by AutoElectNG: 7:28am On Aug 29, 2018
radautoworks:
To run the fan direct.

I differ in opinion from majority on Nairaland and say switch back to 5w30.

This is the position I have always canvassed.

Switch but determine the current engine condition by taking the valve cover off
Re: Oil Change Dilemma by joeruano: 9:51am On Aug 29, 2018
AutoElectNG:

It is not dead

You are right. I just used Chrome and it opened. I was using Opera. Opera has too many limitations méhn.
Re: Oil Change Dilemma by joeruano: 9:58am On Aug 29, 2018
diportivo:
can we just gedifok out of this valve cover shyte like right now

dude needs advice,not reasons to hold a spanner undecided

if there's sludge in this engine it's not excessive.....the oil filler cap doesn't show signs of that from what I can see.i might be blind tho grin

oga op,switch na and den tell us what u experienced

I hope you have coolant in your radiator and that you are planning to return your fan/thermostat to factory spec too?

if you wanna do this oil thingie you shld consider doing every other thing too

Impressive comments. Thumbs up
Re: Oil Change Dilemma by joeruano: 10:09am On Aug 29, 2018
AutoElectNG:

This is the position I have always canvassed.

Switch but determine the current engine condition by taking the valve cover off

I need you to be specific on what your position is. Is it to continue without the thermostat and change to 5W 30?
If so, what are your reasons?

I just don't understand this valve cover taking off. I've been reading valve cover, valve cover but nothing on how to take it off. I checked the valve cover link posted earlier but I saw was pictures and didn't understand.

(1) (2) (Reply)

BMW 325xi Review Needed / Welcoming The New 2013 Honda Accord / Is Ford Edge A Good Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.