Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,728 members, 7,820,520 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:26 PM

Oil Change: Toyota Corolla 2003, Advice Needed Urgently - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Oil Change: Toyota Corolla 2003, Advice Needed Urgently (4043 Views)

Engine Oil Returned Mud After Ring And Bearing Change Toyota Canry 1996 / .... The Power Of Mobil 1 Extended Performance After 12k miles oil change / 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oil Change: Toyota Corolla 2003, Advice Needed Urgently by mcvities(m): 4:59pm On Nov 06, 2019
Please I need an urgent answer to this, I drive a 2003 Toyota Corolla that was brought in earlier this year from the US and driven by someone else for six months before it was sent down to me, I have driven the car for close to two months plus and I want to do an oil change and oil filter change.

I don't know the last oil that was used but the recommended oil from the owners manual and even the oil cap is 5W30 API Sl, At this moment, since I don't know which oil it was serviced with the last time, what is the recommended oil that I should use?

The car has about 162,000+ miles on it.

Please, for any recommended oil, where can I get it, I am residing in Port Harcourt.

Please treat as urgent
Re: Oil Change: Toyota Corolla 2003, Advice Needed Urgently by REDDEVILS1(m): 5:13pm On Nov 06, 2019
Contact GAZZUZZ for your oil. If you want to get the beat value from that ride

1 Like

Re: Oil Change: Toyota Corolla 2003, Advice Needed Urgently by Crixie(m): 6:50pm On Nov 06, 2019
Toyota 5w30 fully synthetic oil available

Re: Oil Change: Toyota Corolla 2003, Advice Needed Urgently by istephen(m): 8:44am On Nov 07, 2019
A 5W-30 synthetic oil is a good choice.
Re: Oil Change: Toyota Corolla 2003, Advice Needed Urgently by sacramento1212: 7:14pm On Nov 08, 2019
mcvities:
Please I need an urgent answer to this, I drive a 2003 Toyota Corolla that was brought in earlier this year from the US and driven by someone else for six months before it was sent down to me, I have driven the car for close to two months plus and I want to do an oil change and oil filter change.

I don't know the last oil that was used but the recommended oil from the owners manual and even the oil cap is 5W30 API Sl, At this moment, since I don't know which oil it was serviced with the last time, what is the recommended oil that I should use?

Please, for any recommended oil, where can I get it, I am residing in Port Harcourt.

Please treat as urgent

Use the recommended oil viscosity. 5w30 is fine for your ride as recommended. There are numerous sellers of that oil weight on Nairaland. So do your checks, procure and proceed to service your ride.

There are several brands(Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline, etc) that you could go for depending on your budget.

Good luck
Re: Oil Change: Toyota Corolla 2003, Advice Needed Urgently by sacramento1212: 7:20pm On Nov 08, 2019
Crixie:
Toyota 5w30 fully synthetic oil available

How much is this Brand and from what country of Origin?
Re: Oil Change: Toyota Corolla 2003, Advice Needed Urgently by VolvoS60(m): 2:55am On Nov 10, 2019
There are several brands you can choose from. Just make sure your choice meets your car's oil quality (API SL or the corresponding ILSAC qualification) and viscosity (5W 30) specifications - as already mentioned.

You are also free to choose between synthetic or mineral/conventional oils available. Just make sure you comply with the manufacturer's service interval (time in months or mileage). Note that you may have to reduce the service interval if your vehicle is used under severe operating conditions (which vehicle in Nigeria isn't? undecided)

I use synthetic (the term 'synthetic' can mean a thousand things but that's a topic for another day) oil for my 07 Corolla but that's only because I don't usually cover up to 5,000 km per annum. Since I don't cover the mileage recommended, I usually extend my oil change intervals (OCI) from 6 months to between 10 and 11 months. I use synthetic oils as an 'insurance' of sorts. If you cover longer distances in a shorter period of time then conventional oil may be perfect for you, budget wise. Just make sure you change it regularly - and on time.

I have used (in no particular order) Castrol, Mobil, Liqui Moly, Motul etc. motor oils - with mixed results. Don't be misled by marketing hype - if you truly want to know what's going on in your engine and the oil you use - then you'll have to incur the expense of used oil analysis (UOA) with a reputable lab. That's also a topic for another day.
Re: Oil Change: Toyota Corolla 2003, Advice Needed Urgently by sammily(m): 9:44am On Nov 10, 2019
VolvoS60:
There are several brands you can choose from. Just make sure your choice meets your car's oil quality (API SL or the corresponding ILSAC qualification) and viscosity (5W 30) specifications - as already mentioned.

You are also free to choose between synthetic or mineral/conventional oils available. Just make sure you comply with the manufacturer's service interval (time in months or mileage). Note that you may have to reduce the service interval if your vehicle is used under severe operating conditions (which vehicle in Nigeria isn't? undecided)

I use synthetic (the term 'synthetic' can mean a thousand things but that's a topic for another day) oil for my 07 Corolla but that's only because I don't usually cover up to 5,000 km per annum. Since I don't cover the mileage recommended, I usually extend my oil change intervals (OCI) 6 months to between 10 and 11 months. I use synthetic oils as an 'insurance' of sorts. If you cover longer distances in a shorter period of time then conventional oil may be perfect for you, budget wise. Just make sure you change it regularly - and on time.

I have used (in no particular order) Castrol, Mobil, Liqui Moly, Motu etc. motor oils - with mixed results. Don't be misled by marketing hype - if you truly want to know what's going on in your engine and the oil you use - then you'll have to incur the expense of used oil analysis (UOA) with a reputable lab. That's also a topic for another day.

Among the lubricant brands you mentioned, which one do you think is the best?
Re: Oil Change: Toyota Corolla 2003, Advice Needed Urgently by dru23(m): 4:24pm On Nov 10, 2019
sammily:

USA Castrol is very good...

1 Like

Re: Oil Change: Toyota Corolla 2003, Advice Needed Urgently by dru23(m): 4:29pm On Nov 10, 2019
mcvities:

Please treat as urgent

5w30 is the oil for it... The market is full of fake engine oil know the source of your oil... I import all my oil and filters.. I would have reccomended USA Castrol, but am sold out. But Mobil 1 for 17k is available and oil filter for 2k ...

Re: Oil Change: Toyota Corolla 2003, Advice Needed Urgently by VolvoS60(m): 7:09pm On Nov 10, 2019
sammily:

^^^
Hard to tell.

As I said earlier, the only way to have a rough idea is to do a UOA.

I have done UOA for at least 1 of these oils on a second vehicle - with surprising results. The test results showed unusually high iron levels in the sample. So far we have not been able to find the cause - it could be accelerated cam wear or something else. We just don't know what is causing it.

To get an idea of which lubricant is suitable - one has to use each of them for a period and carry out UOA after each oil change while controlling mileage and/or time - to avoid bias. This takes time.

I'll only be able to say with certainty once I have done UOA for each brand over a period of time. I'm slowly getting this done.

P.S. The oil filter is just as important as the motor oil - there's no point getting good motor oil and wrecking your engine with bad oil filters. I have heard consistently good reviews about OEM Toyota filters and I use them myself - you can't go wrong with them.
Re: Oil Change: Toyota Corolla 2003, Advice Needed Urgently by lubehouse9ja(m): 2:00pm On Nov 14, 2019
Get this American Castrol, together with an oem filter.. Contact on signature for the American Castrol Brand
mcvities:

Please treat as urgent

Re: Oil Change: Toyota Corolla 2003, Advice Needed Urgently by sacramento1212: 2:30pm On Nov 14, 2019
lubehouse9ja:
Get this American Castrol, together with an oem filter.. Contact on signature for the American Castrol Brand

How much for the Oil?
Re: Oil Change: Toyota Corolla 2003, Advice Needed Urgently by lubehouse9ja(m): 2:37pm On Nov 14, 2019
Kindly use the contact pls.
sacramento1212:

How much for the Oil?

1 Like

Re: Oil Change: Toyota Corolla 2003, Advice Needed Urgently by sacramento1212: 2:49pm On Nov 14, 2019
lubehouse9ja:
Kindly use the contact pls.

No please, I must not contact you to get price, you have to display price & if favorable then i will make contact to procure. Other engine oil sellers on the platform do not request a contact to know price. If that's your own style, that's not mine.
Re: Oil Change: Toyota Corolla 2003, Advice Needed Urgently by lubehouse9ja(m): 3:01pm On Nov 14, 2019
Check here.. https://www.nairaland.com/3798082/castrol-german-adler-full-synthetic/1
sacramento1212:

No please, I must not contact you to get price, you have to display price & if favorable then i will make contact to procure. Other engine oil sellers on the platform do not request a contact to know price. If that's your own style, that's not mine.

Re: Oil Change: Toyota Corolla 2003, Advice Needed Urgently by Elsanchez: 5:09pm On Nov 14, 2019
this is available in Port Harcourt

Both in 1 litre and 5 litre containers

It is a U.K product

5w30 Goes for 15k

Re: Oil Change: Toyota Corolla 2003, Advice Needed Urgently by sheu01: 11:56am On Nov 15, 2019
My bro, to tell u d facts, just go and buy Coastal oil 5W30. The price is around 9k, it's a very good oil that come from USA, it's everywhere in Nigeria. That's d oil am using but I guarantee u on this. You Dnt need to buy Mobil 1, it's too expensive but good oil as well if u can afford it
Re: Oil Change: Toyota Corolla 2003, Advice Needed Urgently by lubehouse9ja(m): 3:20pm On Nov 15, 2019
The difference is that coastal is a synthetic blend oil sir.. You want to buy a full synthetic oil from usa @9k..thats a big joke
sheu01:
My bro, to tell u d facts, just go and buy Coastal oil 5W30. The price is around 9k, it's a very good oil that come from USA, it's everywhere in Nigeria. That's d oil am using but I guarantee u on this. You Dnt need to buy Mobil 1, it's too expensive but good oil as well if u can afford it

Re: Oil Change: Toyota Corolla 2003, Advice Needed Urgently by sacramento1212: 3:24pm On Nov 15, 2019
sheu01:

Coastal is synthetic Blend not full synthetic. I also doubt it's manufactured from the USA

(1) (Reply)

How Do You Know If A Car Has Been Converted From Rhd To Lhd? / What Car To Upgrade To From EOD / 2006 BMW 325i Vs 2005 Mercedes Benz C240.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.