Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,939 members, 7,835,129 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:23 AM

Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. (5357 Views)

Jonathan’s Varsities: Buhari Returns To Vomit, Reverses Sack Of Varsity Boards / Lagos Assembly Reverses Pedro's Impeachment After Eight Years / Buhari Bows To Pressure, Reverses Ban On 113 Oil Vessels (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by Sagamite(m): 12:41am On Jun 30, 2010
mama-gee:

I think it's time you change your username to MrCrackles cause you both behave the same.

Are you by any means related to him? undecided

Over my dead body would my blood line be contaminated with that kind of person that possesses inferior intellect.

A human so daft, he can post from now till the cows come home and you would not be able to extract a single insightful analysis of a single topic from his posts, can not be blessed with the same blood.
Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by mamagee3(f): 12:42am On Jun 30, 2010
Sagamite:

Over my dead body would my blood line be contaminated with that kind of person that possesses inferior intellect.

A human so daft, he can post from now till the cows come home and you would not be able to extract a single insightful analysis of a single topic from his posts, can not be blessed with the same blood.
Okay, I feel you!

Let me run and call him, he's in the bathroom. grin grin
Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by PapaBrowne(m): 1:18am On Jun 30, 2010
mama-gee:

I think it's time you change your username to MrCrackles cause you both behave the same.

Are you by any means related to him? undecided

So U noticed they act alike. grin grin. They are brothers!!
Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by mamagee3(f): 1:24am On Jun 30, 2010
PapaBrowne:

So U noticed they act alike. grin grin. They are brothers!!
Oh my gosh!

I have been watching him for quite some time now and I see no difference between them. grin

It's just that he tries forcing it more unlike MrCrackles. grin grin

Nothing else!. . .Anyway, nothing is more entertaining than reading replies that call for lots of abusive jokes. grin grin
Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by tkb417(m): 9:16am On Jun 30, 2010
hehehe

Sagamite in the house

The CEOs are criminals, they aint coming back anytime soon

the EDs, tough one
he shd have exercised some restraints tho

so effing what? he said they can be employed again so whats the fuss? grin grin
Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by uzuz(f): 10:36pm On Jun 30, 2010
A trading company based in Germany is closing up and thereby doing sales of their products,
There are the following products available

Hp Pavillon (overbooked)
Hp Presario- limited quantity available for booking
Compaq- limited quantity available for booking
Samsung flat screen tv's- quantity available for booking
Iphone3gs-pending confirmation
Iphone3g- 100 pieces available
Blackberry Bold 2 - 120 pieces available (refurbished)
Household appliances
Home theater systems
and many more please get in touch formore information.

Write to uzoma85@yahoo.com and copy to davidwenger133@yahoo.de Please be informed that most of the products are refurbished and most are brand new ones. Get in touch for more information, the sale starts on Tuesday the 6th of july.
Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by dolu2007(m): 11:13am On Jul 02, 2010

Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by Bigvilla(m): 7:23pm On Jul 02, 2010
the cbn gov is so confused. or do i say foncused. nonesense
Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by Sagamite(m): 7:53pm On Jul 02, 2010
Bigvilla:

the cbn gov is so confused. or do i say foncused. nonesense

What makes him confused?

This is all you could surmon despite all the arguments others have put forth?
Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by babaogun(m): 5:06pm On Jul 06, 2010
http://www.proshareng.com/news/singleNews.php?id=8940

@Sagamite,
Kindly see link above. Is there any reason why First Bank should be allowed to provide an asset to a customer which is circa 30% of its shareholders funds which is way beyond the single obligor limit of 10% of un-impaired capital?

This brings to air some sort of favouritism in dealing with the financial crisis in Nigeria.
I believe the same Sanusi has his roots with First Bank.
Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by tkb417(m): 5:30pm On Jul 06, 2010
babaogun:

http://www.proshareng.com/news/singleNews.php?id=8940

@Sagamite,
Kindly see link above. Is there any reason why First Bank should be allowed to provide an asset to a customer which is circa 30% of its shareholders funds which is way beyond the single obligor limit of 10% of un-impaired capital?

This brings to air some sort of favouritism in dealing with the financial crisis in Nigeria.
I believe the same Sanusi has his roots with First Bank.
read what u posted

a bridge loan went bad and was converted to a mid term facility; moreover, CBN allows for banks to apply for special waivers even when a transaction will flout the single obligor limit rule of CBN.

FBN applied and got a waiver and hence the reason CBN gave them a clean bill of health.

This facility isnt and cannot be compared with the Longe loan that went bad cos the securities pldged far outweigh waht FBN has given to seawolf

some of the EDs in FBN are on seawolfs board and im sure theyll do anythn to pull this off

this cannot be compared to all those uncollaterised personal loans that went bad in some of our commercial banks

i know someone who got millions of dollars in one of these banks to build a tank farm in south south. This money was released on a paddy to paddy basis and when yawa gassed, the MD couldnt raise the cash. Those are the kinda deals that nailed these banks not a well structured deal like FBN/seawolf
Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by babaogun(m): 6:38pm On Jul 06, 2010
@tkb417
Your reaction is very much expected. Whether a bridge loan, or mid term facility, whether waivers or no waivers, it is poor to assign such facility at that level of shareholder funds. They didn’t need to risk it all on their own and they could have clubbed the deal together with some other banks.

Another flaw is that they applied for a waiver when the bridge loan had been converted. Don’t you think they should have secured a waiver before disbursement of the bridge loan in the first place?

Just a reminder to you that because a loan is adequately collaterised should not be the main reason you approve a loan. You must disburse a loan within your capacity as a bank, within the rules.

Is the asset easily realisable in the market? I dont doub't the quality of the management team, but if the fundamentals for providing the loan in the first instance with oil price at over $100, when do you expect oil to trade at that level again?

I hope you realise Longe’s sack has been reversed by the courts…it was the same First Bank board that gave verbal approval for the IIL transaction to go ahead. This is not important right now though.

I never compared this case to uncollaterised loans, I only believe what is wrong is wrong. The same CBN managed First Banks situation in a way not detrimental to investor confidence, however, they didn’t manage the other banks in as good a manner. I will keep reiterating the fact that the CEOs should have lost their jobs and if possible face the full brunt of the law, but you don’t do such haphazardly.

Just FYI, I only brought this up because it is publicly available info and verifiable. How much more other deals in the cupboard of so many other banks. conjectures right?
Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by Sagamite(m): 9:45pm On Jul 06, 2010
babaogun:

@Sagamite,

Mate, this is jargons to me.

Explain things in simple terms. I am not an accountant.
Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by babaogun(m): 10:54pm On Jul 06, 2010
Sagamite:

Mate, this is jargons to me.

Explain things in simple terms. I am not an accountant.

Apologies if you got caught there, I am not an accountant either.

It simply means FBN Plc provided a loan to one of its customers. The loan amount was approximately 30% of its shareholder's funds (share capital, revenue reserves, other reserves, retained profit etc). Ideally, you would expect this to be no more than 10%, although some banks use 20% as a maximum single amount loaned out to a single borrower.

They somehow got a waiver from CBN, but this waiver should have been requested for even before loan is disbursed to the beneficiary.

Anyhow, I personally understand why no one went punished in this case but as a regulator you need to deal with issues in a cautious and consistent way. Most important is to protect stakeholders and shareholders.

The banking reform was quite abrupt, didn't seem well thought through (or maybe it was), the consequences of his action is still being dealt with in a reactionary way atimes instead of on a step by step basis that would have been expected if their was a proper plan. He has flinched a lot, we haven't heard much about the list of debtors published. don't you think they should have followed up with this aggressiveness.

They set up AMCON (Asset Management Companies) which are still not fully operational after approximately a year after reviewing the activities of the 24 banks. Eventually govt might have to take up these debts.
Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by mbulela: 4:01am On Jul 07, 2010
supereagle:

He acted on a script with Northern Agenda that is why he sacked the CEOs op the affected bank. Yar dua that could protect is no more.
this theory that was concoted in beer parlours across Nigeria had been discredited in same venues long ago.
You are late to the party.
Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by mbulela: 4:13am On Jul 07, 2010
babaogun:

I will free you with your logical opinion.

I wasn't talking about a loan approval process , i was talking about the procedure to classify a non performing loan, what you have to do to a non performing loan or how to turn a non performing loan back to a performing loan.

I implore you to read my earlier posts, I have not defended the 5 banks,
“I think Sanusi could have handled the job in a sleeker way, although at the same time i recognise he had to do a bulldozer job, or else the Naija factor might have crept in.”

Sanusi’s double talk and body language in recent interviews show he wasn’t very prepared for the consequences of his actions / inactions.

There is at least 1 CEO that falls under this category and still has his job till at least 2mrw evening.
Not only could he have done it in a sleeker way, he seemed to be tackling a problem that a novice like myself thought was too big a monster to be tamed.
society begets all these things.
We get the NFF we deserve, the banking system we deserve, the police we deserve and even the politicians we deserve.
You just can't wake up and sanitise one sector in isolation.
you can limit the damage and try to put the fear of God into the players in that sector but the same forces that hold sway in other sectors will catch up with you.
If the rules were applied strictly, i doubt there would be more than 5 banks left in Nigeria.
The argument that Ibru et al have not been able to win is that they were innocent of the charges against them.The evidence are too damning and overwhelming.
Are there others like them in the system?
of course.
therein lies the long term problem.
Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by Sagamite(m): 6:49am On Jul 07, 2010
babaogun:

Apologies if you got caught there, I am not an accountant either.

It simply means FBN Plc provided a loan to one of its customers. The loan amount was approximately 30% of its shareholder's funds (share capital, revenue reserves, other reserves, retained profit etc). Ideally, you would expect this to be no more than 10%, although some banks use 20% as a maximum single amount loaned out to a single borrower.

They somehow got a waiver from CBN, but this waiver should have been requested for even before loan is disbursed to the beneficiary.

Anyhow, I personally understand why no one went punished in this case but as a regulator you need to deal with issues in a cautious and consistent way. Most important is to protect stakeholders and shareholders.

The banking reform was quite abrupt, didn't seem well thought through (or maybe it was), the consequences of his action is still being dealt with in a reactionary way atimes instead of on a step by step basis that would have been expected if their was a proper plan. He has flinched a lot, we haven't heard much about the list of debtors published. don't you think they should have followed up with this aggressiveness.

They set up AMCON (Asset Management Companies) which are still not fully operational after approximately a year after reviewing the activities of the 24 banks. Eventually govt might have to take up these debts.

Thanks.

Now, I don't see the relevance of this story and why you brought it as evidence.

Is the loan a non-performing one?

Has it put FBN in a position where they can not continue performing their operations on a daily basis for a long length of time without CBN intervention?

So how has Sanusi not been consistent?

I repeat:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-470025.32.html#msg6303221
Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by babaogun(m): 9:47am On Jul 07, 2010
"The fragility of the economy dictates that offenders be interdicted without damaging the sector." – Gen. Gusau

"If you are in a system prone to panics, the last thing you want is to advertise that an institution is in trouble". - Tim Congdom

Sagamite:

Now, I don't see the relevance of this story and why you brought it as evidence.
You don’t need to get too emotional about this.
We are talking about “CBN Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs” here and how the financial crisis was handled and you are picking up on non-performing loans as your area of interest!!!
I think you need to consider the topic yourself next time. You decide to respond to only the part of that suits you or you think you have ammunition to battle with. 

Sagamite:

Is the loan a non-performing one?
A non performing loan is better than an illegal loan in my own opinion. Even the greatest businessmen have put banks in a situation of having non performing loans in their books.
A non performing loan can be a legal loan approved within the limits of a bank which later goes awry by whatever means, while a loan (whether collaterised or not) beyond your single obligor limit without a waiver in the first place is an illegal loan.

Sagamite:

Has it put FBN in a position where they can not continue performing their operations on a daily basis for a long length of time without CBN intervention?

There is no where I have stated it is a non performing loan. What I meant is that it was beyond the allowed limit and could put the bank in a detrimental position if it ever becomes non performing. The same reason it was restructured from a bridge loan to a mid term loan might be the same reason it could be restructured to a long term loan (oil price fundamentals)!.

Were the 5 banks not continuously operational as at the time Sanusi waded in? Were they not open and meeting customer demand for their deposits? Are you confirming that the 19 other banks are not currently benefiting from CBN intervention?

Sagamite:

So how has Sanusi not been consistent?

No matter how bad the CEOs have acted, He could have tackled the problem aggressively, but with caution not to erode investor confidence. That is where the CONSISTENCY comes in. There’s nothing like a big or small thief, a thief is a thief. You should never make one thief look more attractive than the other.

Finally, it’s been a year since these investigations started, but no one has mentioned probing the activities of the ex CBN Governor and the role he played in allowing this mess to go unchecked earlier. Is he scared to start that probe? Does that mean he is setting a precedent, so that his own tenor is not probed? We need to know the role played by certain people in covering up the mess.

Anyhow, I just hope he and his team are able to sort the mess we are in before it’s too late.
Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by tkb417(m): 11:08am On Jul 07, 2010
I dont know which to respond to, ur response to me or Saga

First thing first

The single obligor limit directive for banks is not always cast in stones- It is just a means to check the excesses of banks

so many deals go on with CBNs backing that you'll probably wont get to know about such deals. The waivers are there to make sure compelling biz cases dont get killed in the name of CBN regulation

An illegal loan is a loan that you get through the back door so i dont know what you mean by seawolf transaction is an illegal loan. The board knows about it, the apex bank knows about it, the deal is fully collaterarised and even if the fundamentals go wrong like oil prices dropping to sub 50, the bank will not be in any danger. i say again, FBN will not be moved cos all they need to do is instruct First trustees to take over all the assets pledged as securities valued at over a billion dollars.

The essence of a loan in the first place is to create wealth for both the offeror and the offeree and whenever that objective is satisfied and all parties laugh at the end of the tenor, then the apex bank will not worry (This is not condoning any malpractices tho)

my point is, the apex bank is here to make sure the shareholders fund are not eroded and in this instance, their is no way the seawlf deal will go bad- (at least for FBN)
Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by Sagamite(m): 11:20am On Jul 07, 2010
babaogun:

"The fragility of the economy dictates that offenders be interdicted without damaging the sector." – Gen. Gusau

The sector is already damaged with poor enforcement of regulations.

The silly veneer of bouyancy should not be maintained at the risk to people's income and a reluctance to move into a sustainable and more realistic model.

babaogun:

"If you are in a system prone to panics, the last thing you want is to advertise that an institution is in trouble". - Tim Congdom

What a moronic comment.

So a facade should be maintained so as to fool people the sector is FAAAAAANTASTIC? The incidence was handled swiftly and efficiently.

The bad fat that will cause heart-attack is being cut away and the lean meat that gives nutritious protein will be left. The meat will look smaller but at least will be healthy and good for your heart.

babaogun:

You don’t need to get too emotional about this.
We are talking about “CBN Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs” here and how the financial crisis was handled and you are picking up on non-performing loans as your area of interest!!!
I think you need to consider the topic yourself next time. You decide to respond to only the part of that suits you or you think you have ammunition to battle with. 

No, mate. What you need to do is to learn the art of identifying criteria for your assessment and stop cherry-picking points that fit your argument that I will destroy in a second.

I set my criteria for failures of the Execs here: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-470025.32.html#msg6303221

Whilst you are busy looking to prove a hidden agenda.

babaogun:

A non performing loan is better than an illegal loan in my own opinion. Even the greatest businessmen have put banks in a situation of having non performing loans in their books.
A non performing loan can be a legal loan approved within the limits of a bank which later goes awry by whatever means, while a loan (whether collaterised or not) beyond your single obligor limit without a waiver in the first place is an illegal loan.

Are you havin a laff, mate?

Honestly, be sincere: ARE YOU HAVIN A LAFF, MATE?

So somehow to you, giving a loan with higher risk than guidance promotes is "illegal"? I hope you understand the meaning of illegal?

But awarding loans unjustly to yourself and friends, cooking the books to hide it and not paying it back is legal? It is just a "non-performing" loan?

Are you havin a laff, mate?

babaogun:

There is no where I have stated it is a non performing loan. What I meant is that it was beyond the allowed limit and could put the bank in a detrimental position if it ever becomes non performing. The same reason it was restructured from a bridge loan to a mid term loan might be the same reason it could be restructured to a long term loan (oil price fundamentals)!.

This is a situation where you GIVE warning, not sack management. It is not comparable to the criminal actrivities of the other 5 banks, hence I asked you why you raised it as a comparison.

babaogun:

Were the 5 banks not continuously operational as at the time Sanusi waded in? Were they not open and meeting customer demand for their deposits? Are you confirming that the 19 other banks are not currently benefiting from CBN intervention?

You need to READ UP on why those management were sacked. READ UP! GOOGLE IT NOOOW!

They were only operational because CBN were saving their arse. The 19 others will operate without CBN assistance, without the EDW. The 5 were totally dependent on the EDW to "open and meeting customer demand for their deposits"undecided

You need to start learning how to make comparisons.

babaogun:

No matter how bad the CEOs have acted, He could have tackled the problem aggressively, but with caution not to erode investor confidence. That is where the CONSISTENCY comes in. There’s nothing like a big or small thief, a thief is a thief. You should never make one thief look more attractive than the other.

Whilst at it, also learn the meaning of consistency.
Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by babaogun(m): 11:38am On Jul 07, 2010
Your points noted.

Illegal to me is anything unauthorised by law.
If FBN already had a waiver from CBN, then why did they need a temporary waiver again? Was it because they breached the initial waiver given to them or it expired or there was never a waiver in the first instance until their books were checked?

I agree single obligor limit is not cast in stone, but CBN has given us guidance of 10% and I even mentioned earlier of banks using 20% as a guide.

I am a shareholder in FBN. I haven't sold my shares becos I personally believe they can sort this facility out and create wealth for me, however little.

If they take possession of the asset, don't you think the value of the asset will be impaired? Who do you think will buy the assets from FBN Trustees? Can you show me evidence of the assets being valued at over $1 billion? If indeed the assets are valued at over a billion dollars,  then i rest my case.

I also like the fact that you refer to fellow nairalanders on a nickname basis.

PS: you seem to be doing reasonably well in the fantansy football section.  grin
Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by freezy(m): 11:53am On Jul 07, 2010
tkb417:

I dont know which to respond to, your response to me or Saga

First thing first

The single obligor limit directive for banks is not always cast in stones- It is just a means to check the excesses of banks

so many deals go on with CBNs backing that you'll probably wont get to know about such deals. The waivers are there to make sure compelling biz cases dont get killed in the name of CBN regulation

An illegal loan is a loan that you get through the back door so i dont know what you mean by seawolf transaction is an illegal loan. The board knows about it, the apex bank knows about it, the deal is fully collaterarised and even if the fundamentals go wrong like oil prices dropping to sub 50, the bank will not be in any danger. i say again, FBN will not be moved cos all they need to do is instruct First trustees to take over all the assets pledged as securities valued at over a billion dollars.

The essence of a loan in the first place is to create wealth for both the offeror and the offeree and whenever that objective is satisfied and all parties laugh at the end of the tenor, then the apex bank will not worry (This is not condoning any malpractices tho)

my point is, the apex bank is here to make sure the shareholders fund are not eroded and in this instance, their is no way the seawlf deal will go bad- (at least for FBN)

Excuse me sir, Just a lil' point of correction there.

The single obligor limit is to protect shareholders. It follows the rule of not putting ALL eggs in one basket.
The same thing applies to policies and procedures of any organization that states 'this is how it should be done here" and for every deviation from that requires an approval before and not after the aforementioned deviation.

My two cents, sirs.
Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by Sagamite(m): 12:03pm On Jul 07, 2010
Not acting robustly on banking officials corruptly enriching themselves at the risk to others so as not to shake a "bouyant" industry is akin to our history of not fining oil companies for spills (especiallly due to poor infrastructural set-up or robust maintenance) because the market is important and bouyant.

As long as only the poor man will suffer, it is all good.

And then we all go to church or Mosque to show we are religious. Ogo f'Olorun, Allahu Akbar!
Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by babaogun(m): 1:01pm On Jul 07, 2010
@Saga
We reach common ground in the fact that he should have acted robustly, but did we need all the press? The way you manage a very dire situation will dictate how fast and well you come out of it. Punishment alone does not make all wrongs by the CEOs right. There is zero confidence in Nigerian Banking sector at the moment and foreign businesses have evacuated their cash balances abroad, leaving just working capital available in our shores.

Sanusi has flip-flopped a few times on this reform issue:
His initial statement that AMCON will buy all toxic assets, to a recent statement saying that the AMCON might not be in a position to absorb all the toxic debt.
The reversal of Mike Adenuga’s role as a Non executive Director.
Publication of a list of debtors with so much pomp and pageantry, but the names that were wrongly put on the list were not publicly recognised, which could have led to such company’s reputation being tarnished for life.
His denial that he was going to sell banks, then the reversal to state CBN will sell the banks or rather search for core investors for the banks.

I have defined ILLEGAL in my previous post. Illegal to me is anything unauthorised by law.

I am not sure where you got the impression giving loans to family and friends is seen as legal to me.

I should learn to make comparisons? I am shocked at your lack of logical reasoning here. I am not comparing lending above single obligor limits to lending to friends and family.
My argument is that you should take stakeholders interest into cognisance when you attempt to clamp down on irregularities or criminal actions.
Consistency (Uniformity) in putting adequate measures in place to address issues. He did very well in the FBN transaction, but i mark him a lot lower in how he managed the  5banks without a proper plan. He has back pedalled lately and seems to have lacked the venom to fast track his reforms.

You have stayed silent on how ineffective some of the post CEO sack plans have been. Could he have done a lot better? Yes.
Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by tkb417(m): 1:39pm On Jul 07, 2010
freezy:

Excuse me sir, Just a lil' point of correction there.

The single obligor limit is to protect shareholders. It follows the rule of not putting ALL eggs in one basket.
The same thing applies to policies and procedures of any organization that states 'this is how it should be done here" and for every deviation from that requires an approval before and not after the aforementioned deviation.

My two cents, sirs.
im lost

what are you correcting? that the single obligor limit is not cast in stones?
where did i say it is not to protect shareholders interest?

if you know about the deal, you'll commend FBN for granting so much to a company who has decided to play in a biz primarily dominated by the majors. Like a said, the CBN will give waivers and waivers to ensure an indigenous company is empowered to play in the upstream. Maybe you do not know, not only CBN gave express approvals to Adulo and co to ensure the smooth running od Seawolf, NAPIMS, NNPC, DPR and other regulatory bodies gave speedy approvals to help those guys.
That is a business that must be supported, FBN threw caution to the wind to make it a success and why not? they are represented on the board. CBN knows this, CBN knows the shareholderds funds will not be eroded, hence the waivers
like i said before, this deal will only create success for the parties and if not the 2 parties, FBN will not lose a dime
FACT!!!!
Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by tkb417(m): 1:43pm On Jul 07, 2010
@Babaogun
ure not serious oo

whats wrong with my position on the fantasy table?

nyways, the rigs they sunk are valued at over 500m already (those are prized assets)

contracts are pledged and other underlining securities and deals we saw in that link

u dont need ernst and young to value that at 1 billion grin grin
Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by Sagamite(m): 10:41pm On Jul 08, 2010
babaogun:

I have defined ILLEGAL in my previous post. Illegal to me is anything unauthorised by law.

A guidance is not a law. At least most are not.

A guidance is an advice that has different levels of enforcement. A law is non-negotiable.

Breaking a guidance is seen as questionable/risky/misdemeanor in most cases, breaking a law is illegal.

And I am pretty sure guidance on how much to lend would not be in Nigeria's statute books, so I am struggling to understand how you see such as "illegal".

Do you understand the meaning of illegal now?

babaogun:

I am not sure where you got the impression giving loans to family and friends is seen as legal to me.

You said:

babaogun:

I should learn to make comparisons? I am shocked at your lack of logical reasoning here. I am not comparing lending above single obligor limits to lending to friends and family.

I am pretty sure the non-performing loans you referred to are the ones of the 5 banks since that is what we were discussing here.

So based on the highlighted, mate, you did give statements that it was legal, whilst loaning money above a limit guidance by CBN is illegal.

That logic baffles me.

babaogun:

My argument is that you should take stakeholders interest into cognisance when you attempt to clamp down on irregularities or criminal actions.
Consistency (Uniformity) in putting adequate measures in place to address issues. He did very well in the FBN transaction, but i mark him a lot lower in how he managed the  5banks without a proper plan. He has back pedalled lately and seems to have lacked the venom to fast track his reforms.

You have stayed silent on how ineffective some of the post CEO sack plans have been. Could he have done a lot better? Yes.

You continue with this your lousy and lame comparisons of the 5 banks and a loan FBN gave a firm and then claim some silly inconsistency.

How many times do I have to explain the lack of parity in the comparison?
Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by babaogun(m): 12:03pm On Jul 09, 2010
Sagamite:

A guidance is not a law. At least most are not.

A guidance is an advice that you has different levels of enforcement. A law is non-negotiable.

Breaking a guidance is seen as questionable/risky/misdemeanor in most cases, breaking a law is illegal.

And I am pretty sure guidance on how much to lend would not be in Nigeria's statute books, so I am struggling to understand how you see such as "illegal".

Do you understand the meaning of illegal now?

This doesn’t look like the grammar section, so pardon my grammar.

The CBN Act Section 39 subsection 5 (please note that Bank = CBN and bank = licensed bank)
(5) The Bank shall have power-
(a) to require that all applications to any bank for loans exceeding such amount as the Bank may
specify shall be submitted by the bank to the Bank for approval and no such loans shall be made without such
approval;
(b) to fix a ceilings on the volume of loans, advances and discounts outstanding at each bank and it
may fix different ceilings for different categories of each such loans, advances and discounts;

From the above CBN Act, it was illegal for FBN to have given a loan beyond the prudential guideline of CBN in the first place, hence they sought a waiver thereafter. If it wasn’t illegal, or better still against the rules of banking regulations, why would they need a waiver?

Listen to your quote, “A guidance is not a law. At least most are not”. Does this statement mean you agree guidance can be seen or taken as law sometimes?

Anyways, you can have a look at some of the revisions to the prudential guidelines in the link below if you haven’t already had a look at it

http://www.proshareng.com/news/singleNews.php?id=10584

http://www.cenbank.org/OUT/2010/CIRCULARS/BSD/Prudential%20Guidelines%205%20May%202010%20Final.pdf

The above link shows you there are various guidelines on how much to lend!!!

My guess is that your opinion states that if a bank then decides to flout the prudential guidelines, it is quite acceptable as long as they seek a waiver. Well said if that’s the case.

I think you should also realise key elements of prudential guidelines remove some discretion from bank management and replace it with rules in decision making.

Thank you for explaining illegal to me. I truly appreciate it.

I will keep responding to your other comments in due time.
Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by tkb417(m): 12:13pm On Jul 09, 2010
^^^lol

Saga vs Babaogun part 1

im enjoying every bit

Good stuff cheesy cheesy
Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by babaogun(m): 1:24pm On Jul 09, 2010
Sagamite:

You said:

I am pretty sure the non-performing loans you referred to are the ones of the 5 banks since that is what we were discussing here.

So based on the highlighted, mate, you did give statements that it was legal, whilst loaning money above a limit guidance by CBN is illegal.

That logic baffles me.

Please read my comments properly, there’s no where I said friend and family loans are legal, especially if they are not appropriately structured or collaterised.

I have also never stated that it was wrong to carry out the reforms, what I have questioned is the manner of approach.

If I was referring to non-performing loans of the 5 banks alone, why do I refer to the other 19 banks if you go through my other comments earlier in the week?

Your ever so “logical reasoning” will make ASSUMPTIONS when you should just take my words as they have been stated or ask for more understanding on my view. Please dip your hands in some water and wash your face to see exactly what I stated.

If you do your research and analysis well, you will find out that some of these loans that CBN is talking about were collaterised, but the value of some of the collaterals got impaired eg stock market crash. This was also caused by banks giving loans to value of shares at 100% without discounting for the effect of a loss in value.

Some of these F&F loans were given in the name of SMEs (Small & Medium Enterprises which was encouraged by this same CBN). They expected 10% of profits of each bank should go into SMEs. The CEOs obviously mismanaged it, but what were the CBN investigators doing over the years? You shouldn't cure a disease without getting rid of the symptoms or even investigating the causes of the problem or the root factors that allowed the disease to surface and eat into the system. They were part and parcel of what created the enabling environment for bank executives to get greedy, till they choked. 

If the banks were wrongfully giving loans to friends and families, does CBN not have its blame for making the situation reach such unbelievable levels before taking actions? Maybe not!!! I still think the ex CBN Governor should not escape a probe. This probe should run simultaneously with the court cases against the sacked CEOs and other Directors.

You once said I believe he has a hidden agenda, that’s even looking at my view mildly to suggest he had/ has an agenda. I believe he had no proper agenda!!!
Northern or Muslim agenda my foot, I have family and friends from many corners of Nigeria, many religions, many works of life, i won't play that card. Even if he does have a hidden agenda, the current President is from Bayelsa, why hasn’t he sacked him?

A lot of events post sacking of 5 CEOs reveal he is not as racy as before, taking more time to plan his next moves, carrying all stakeholders along etc. He appears to thread with caution nowadays. It shows some of our leaders are ready to learn.

When you have some time, please go through the link below, it shows you a few things the CBN Governor should have thought thru b4 applying somehow dictatorial hands on managing a big crisis.

http://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=19248

Below shows you how 22 banks were covered up for using Creative Accounting, but I trust you to say they are conjectures

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2008/jun/07/national-07-06-2008-001.htm
Re: Cbn Reverses Itself, Clears Sacked Bank Executives For New Jobs. by babaogun(m): 10:18am On Jul 10, 2010
http://punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20100710262423

Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Mr. Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, on Friday, in Asaba, described most Nigerian banks as gambling centres.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Prof Soludo Tears Okonjo Iweala To Shreds. / Photos - Past FCT Ministers / Unorthodox: The World Laugh As Buhari Cut Down Trees In Abuja (PIX)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.