Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,129 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:05 AM

Nigerians Offshore Use Pidgin English As Offcial Language - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerians Offshore Use Pidgin English As Offcial Language (1830 Views)

Why Do People Speak Yoruba And Use English As Sms / Nigerian Pidgin English And Their Meanings / Nigerian Pidgin English as Our National Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Offshore Use Pidgin English As Offcial Language by smile4kenn(m): 6:37pm On Apr 01, 2007
Over here we Nigerians here interact with the pidgin english, The east africans will speak their swalile, the south africans will speak their zulu other african countries speak their own language, But we Nigerians here from different tribes have only english to speak in general and we dont have any privacy, So our only coding language here is pidgin english and we use it everyday.

I cant forget when i newly came here and some australians met me and said "how far" i didnt reply because i taught they were speaking their language, later they said "na wa for u ohh" that was when i understood they were speaking pidgin english they learnt from Nigerians. Everyone here love our pidgin and we also love speaking it.
Re: Nigerians Offshore Use Pidgin English As Offcial Language by CrazyMan(m): 9:50pm On Apr 07, 2007
Congratulations
Re: Nigerians Offshore Use Pidgin English As Offcial Language by MP007(m): 8:03am On Jun 26, 2007
story !
Re: Nigerians Offshore Use Pidgin English As Offcial Language by omogenaija(f): 8:46am On Jun 26, 2007
abi , storyyyyyyyyyyyyyy grin

not really true undecided
Re: Nigerians Offshore Use Pidgin English As Offcial Language by spoilt(f): 3:48pm On Nov 04, 2007
I speak pidgin english to other nigerians here. some try to front like they dont understand. shame on them! grin
Re: Nigerians Offshore Use Pidgin English As Offcial Language by naijadiva2(f): 1:08am On Nov 05, 2007
smile4kenn:

Over here we Nigerians here interact with the pidgin english, The east africans will speak their swalile, the south africans will speak their zulu other african countries speak their own language, But we Nigerians here from different tribes have only english to speak in general and we don't have any privacy, So our only coding language here is pidgin english and we use it everyday.

I can't forget when i newly came here and some australians met me and said "how far" i didnt reply because i taught they were speaking their language, later they said "na wa for u ohh" that was when i understood they were speaking pidgin english they learnt from Nigerians. Everyone here love our pidgin and we also love speaking it.

its not only nigerians, west africans in general speak in broken, like sierra leoneans, ghanaians, and some cameroonians, pidgin is just convient. trying to figure out the country and tribe and person is from is a waste of time so to get to the point, you just start speaking pidgin and if the other person responds then you continue the conversation.
Re: Nigerians Offshore Use Pidgin English As Offcial Language by naijadiva2(f): 1:11am On Nov 05, 2007
spoilt:

I speak pidgin english to other nigerians here. some try to front like they don't understand. shame on them! grin

that's funny. they trying to make it seem that proper english is the only thing out there.
Re: Nigerians Offshore Use Pidgin English As Offcial Language by wendymanda: 3:24am On Nov 19, 2007
Good for you
Re: Nigerians Offshore Use Pidgin English As Offcial Language by predi(m): 10:14pm On Nov 20, 2007
yu knw, i dey always tyre 4 some naija pple outside naija o! wey be sey yu go shalo dem wit pidgin and dey luk at yu like 'wat?' i gues its dia loss, i luv to speak pidgin alot especially infussin some proper english into it, it kinda creates room for creativity and its gud news yu guys speak it well outside our shores. big ups to yu all. REPRESENTIN ALWAYS IS OUR STYLE IN NAIJA.

three GBOSA for all ya' all
Re: Nigerians Offshore Use Pidgin English As Offcial Language by Nobody: 11:02pm On Nov 20, 2007
@ post
so? the point of your story would be?? undecided

(1) (Reply)

ddd / 6 Reasons Why Other Tribes Always Respect Igbos / Rattan Bags Available For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.