Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,858 members, 7,813,931 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:50 PM

Canada Or UK Accent? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canada Or UK Accent? (1547 Views)

My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job / Canada Or Germany, Which Country Is Better? / Photos Of Milliken Hill Road Enugu: This Is Not Germany Or US Or UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Canada Or UK Accent? by sammy6979(m): 7:28am On Aug 29, 2018
Hello nairalanders! I will like to seek your humble opinions on these two countries; Canada and Uk. I want to know how to speak posh English, polish and brush my spoken English up because it's not that cool. I realised that Nigerian education system don't teach English language robustly, they give synopsis to learning the language, this made me have a rethink.

However, I have come to know that the cost of living in Uk is something else, can one survive there? What kind of program will you advice me to enroll for? What are my chances of speaking posh English within 6months of my stay? Would you consider Canada because of the good standard of living, how about the posh English, is Canadian English ok?

Please help a brother. Thanks
Re: Canada Or UK Accent? by HeWrites(m): 8:04am On Aug 29, 2018
British accent anytime any day

5 Likes

Re: Canada Or UK Accent? by sammy6979(m): 9:26am On Aug 29, 2018
Please outline your points in detail
Re: Canada Or UK Accent? by MrBrownJay1(m): 10:13am On Aug 29, 2018
ACCENT: always BE YOURSELF, instead of trying to pretend to be who you are not. there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the Nigerian accent. thats your heritage, dont spit on it, just because you want to belong or pretend whatever.

also, when you eventually get to the UK or Canada, then if you go to school and hang around/speak/blend with locals, eventually their way of speaking will rub on you. it takes time but thats the ONLY way to do it (aka the natural way).

COUNTRY: as for which of these countries is best... there is NO proper answer to this question....some will say UK, other will say Canada, and people like me would say none of the above, and we would ALL BE RIGHT. so make a decision based on YOUR circumstances, and enjoy fully whatever country you would choose for yourself. to each their own

8 Likes

Re: Canada Or UK Accent? by sammy6979(m): 8:52pm On Aug 29, 2018
Hmmmn! Thanks
Re: Canada Or UK Accent? by chukxie(m): 2:49am On Aug 30, 2018
There are tons of videos about how to speak standard British accent (mind you there are lot of accents in the UK). Avail yourself to those free but useful videos.
Re: Canada Or UK Accent? by Nobody: 3:56am On Aug 30, 2018
Be ur self. What accent does trumps wife or dat terminator actor speak.

2 Likes

Re: Canada Or UK Accent? by sammy6979(m): 6:56am On Aug 30, 2018
chukxie:
There are tons of videos about how to speak standard British accent (mind you there are lot of accents in the UK). Avail yourself to those free but use videos.

Does the videos really help?
Re: Canada Or UK Accent? by sammy6979(m): 6:57am On Aug 30, 2018
yeyerolling:
Be ur self. What accent does trumps wife or dat terminator actor speak.

Not the accent perse, but getting the phonology.
Re: Canada Or UK Accent? by Nobody: 7:11am On Aug 30, 2018
sammy6979:

Not the accent perse, but getting the phonology.
accent shud be list of ur worries. U either pick it up with time or dont pick it up atal. Anything u learn before going der cant help u cos it wud always be fake. In uk they have different accents in scotland liverpool london birmingham manchester etc. So are u gonna learn a. I laf in spanish.
Re: Canada Or UK Accent? by chukxie(m): 8:33am On Aug 30, 2018
sammy6979:

Does the videos really help?

Personally speaking, yes, they do help.
Another way to learn standard spoken English (BBC English) is to learn the 44 phonetic sounds of the English language, and the letter(s) each symbol represents. Again, there are tons of videos on this subject on YouTube. With dedication you'd begin to notice some changes in the way you pronounce some words. God luck.
Re: Canada Or UK Accent? by sammy6979(m): 9:51am On Aug 30, 2018
yeyerolling:
accent shud be list of ur worries. U either pick it up with time or dont pick it up atal. Anything u learn before going der cant help u cos it wud always be fake. In uk they have different accents in scotland liverpool london birmingham manchester etc. So are u gonna learn a. I laf in spanish.

Now I get the gist. Accent is just you. I think my problem is good command of English.
Re: Canada Or UK Accent? by sammy6979(m): 9:54am On Aug 30, 2018
chukxie:

Another way to learn standard spoken English (BBC English) is to learn the 44 phonetic sounds of the English language, and the letter(s) each symbol represents. Again, there are tons of videos on this subject on YouTube. With dedication you'd begin to notice some changes in the way you pronounce some words. God luck.

Thank you so much for your response. So do you think there's no need traveling abroad before learning and speaking a posh English?
Re: Canada Or UK Accent? by sammy6979(m): 9:56am On Aug 30, 2018
chukxie:

Thanks so much. So do you think one can speak posh English without traveling abroad? And if I were to travel, which of the two countries do u think is good at my request?
Re: Canada Or UK Accent? by chukxie(m): 12:01pm On Aug 30, 2018
sammy6979:

Thanks so much. So do you think one can speak posh English without traveling abroad? And if I were to travel, which of the two countries do u think is good at my request?

If by "posh" you meant proper, refined English, personally, I would pick England over Canada for the simple fact that I love the way British English sounds - by British English I mean standard BBC English, and not some accents scattered over the United kingdom. Can one speak posh English without travelling abroad? Yes, to a certain degree. If you have an English teacher who is a native speaker of English from say England, chances are that over time with diligence and practice you would begin to sound like your teacher. I saw a video on YouTube of an Indonesian lad who has never ever been to England but speaks English with a flawless cockney accent. When asked how he was able to master the accent so well, he said he learnt it all on YouTube! In addition to the above points, travelling to an English speaking country is a quick way to learn and speak good English because everyone there speaks English, so one would be compelled to speak English like the natives.

2 Likes

Re: Canada Or UK Accent? by sammy6979(m): 3:45pm On Aug 30, 2018
chukxie:

If by "posh" you meant proper, refined English, personally, I would pick England over Canada for the simple fact that I love the way British English sounds - by British English I mean standard BBC English, and not some accents scattered over the United kingdom. Can one speak posh English without travelling abroad? Yes, to a certain degree. If you have an English teacher who is a native speaker of English from say England, chances are that over time with diligence and practice you would begin to sound like your teacher. I saw a video on YouTube of an Indonesian lad who has never ever been to England but speaks English with a flawless cockney accent. When asked how he was able to master the accent so well, he said he learnt it all on YouTube! In addition to the above points, travelling to an English speaking country is a quick way to learn and speak good English because everyone there speaks English, so one would be compelled to speak English like the natives.

Wow! Thanks so much. One more question, so what kind of programme do you think it can execute the task perfectly, a degree or diploma programme? What are my chances Within 6months of my stay over there?

Heard Uk cost of living is extremely outrageous that's why I'm considering Canada. Yet everyone seems to like Uk in terms of English language education. Do you know
if Canada is a bit good (a fantasy tho)�

Would like you to voice your opinion on this. You've been wonderful man.�
Re: Canada Or UK Accent? by henrydadon(m): 4:06pm On Aug 30, 2018
You can't properly learn to speak any of this accent if you don't live in these countries

1 Like

Re: Canada Or UK Accent? by Nobody: 9:35pm On Aug 30, 2018
Once you get to either country and start spending time with others, learning the accent shouldn't be difficult.
Re: Canada Or UK Accent? by travelland(f): 6:59am On Aug 31, 2018
sammy6979:
Hello nairalanders! I will like to seek your humble opinions on these two countries; Canada and Uk. I want to know how to speak posh English, polish and brush my spoken English up because it's not that cool. I realised that Nigerian education system don't teach English language robustly, they give synopsis to learning the language, this made me have a rethink.

However, I have come to know that the cost of living in Uk is something else, can one survive there? What kind of program will you advice me to enroll for? What are my chances of speaking posh English within 6months of my stay? Would you consider Canada because of the good standard of living, how about the posh English, is Canadian English ok?

Please help a brother. Thanks

Can you afford etiquette schools in Nigeria? If you can afford it go for it, you can make YouTube & udemy, your friend
Re: Canada Or UK Accent? by Nobody: 10:11am On Sep 04, 2018
You can pick up an accent from watching videos online, for instance Bisola of Big brother has a black American accent and UK accent. She must have probably learnt it from watching movies while growing up. My own self as well, I am full Nigerian that has never crossed borders before, but over the years I have mastered the American accent and know their national anthem for A-Z.

It pays if you learn now, so that when you get there, locals can understand you.
Re: Canada Or UK Accent? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Sep 04, 2018
Sweet Lawd cry
Perfecting the language and accent of our subjugation, colonization and effacement, how low can we sink? This is a blow to our truth. SMH
My point is this- desist from this folly. I pray we all find our authenticity, trueness and heritage soonest. One day I hope someone here passes this message on

1 Like

Re: Canada Or UK Accent? by MustofaL6(m): 8:14am On Sep 14, 2020
Do search for Tofadefama on IG as he helps Nigerians learn how to pronounce words in the ��British way so as to sound British��.

(1) (Reply)

If You Intend To Travel Abroad, Read These 30 Reactions Carefully / Why Don't Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? You Will Be Wowed. / Tuition Free University For 1year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.