Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,205 members, 7,811,554 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:31 PM

My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job (30938 Views)

Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) / Is 500k Enough To Migrate To Canada Or Finland? / Canada Or Germany, Which Country Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 2:33pm On Oct 14, 2023
I already have my plane tickets o, and been planning my life in Canada oo!
Didn't think I'd actually land the job at all! 500K a month plus housing, car, health and life insurance benefits.
Why is life always like this??!! In serious dilemma what to do

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Babangidapikin: 2:35pm On Oct 14, 2023
It depends on how you look at it prospect wise $500 is 500000 now ... What are you going to do in Canada to start with. If you don't have a ready made Job , I do advice you to stay put ...but if you have a Job that balance your expense and savings ...then move ..

113 Likes 13 Shares

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 2:42pm On Oct 14, 2023
Babangidapikin:
It depends on how you look at it prospect wise $500 is 500000 now ... What are you going to do in Canada to start with. If you don't have a ready made Job , I do advice you to stay put ...but if you have a Job that balance your expense and savings ...then move ..

I have a proper Canadian visitor visa, a friend I can stay with, and some tech connections. That's it

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by AchrafHakimi: 2:46pm On Oct 14, 2023
PoliteActivist:
Didn't think I'd actually land the job at all! 500K a month plus housing, car, health and life insurance benefits.

Take the job and STILL relocate to Canada.
Work remotely from there since its a tech role.

72 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Babangidapikin: 2:47pm On Oct 14, 2023
PoliteActivist:

I have a proper Canadian visa, a friend I can stay with, and some tech connections. That's it

Hmmm you probably need some experience out there , but if you can convince the guys in Nigeria that you can work remotely, it might help you kill two bird with one stone ....

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 2:54pm On Oct 14, 2023
AchrafHakimi:

Take the job and STILL relocate to Canada.
Work remotely from there since its a tech role.

That's exactly what I wish I could do but I know it's not possible.

7 Likes

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 2:57pm On Oct 14, 2023
Babangidapikin:

Hmmm you probably need some experience out there , but if you can convince the guys in Nigeria that you can work remotely, it might help you kill two bird with one stone ....

Honestly, that's my heart's true desire - to somehow do both. That'll be heaven! But I know it's not possible

9 Likes

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by wittywriter: 3:04pm On Oct 14, 2023
#500k job for now...how many months visa & when will it expire? so i can complete my suggestion.

PoliteActivist:

PoliteActivist:

Oh, it is multiple entry. I can be in Canada for six months at a time, valid for 10 years
Going by your reply i'm sure you know i need not say more again. All the best.
PoliteActivist:

Don't know what you mean. Really need learned, clear inputs if any
Let me use two clear inputs;
***You have secured a Canadian visa but
Do you have a job waiting for you in canada?***
Yes or No.

***You have secured a #500k monthly pay job in Nigeria...
Do you have a means to still visit Canada?
Yes or No.

So here we go...howbeit the choice is yours.
PoliteActivist:

Answer to first question is NO, second question YES, and I have Canadian dreams in my head

Wittyness.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by FreeIgboho: 3:07pm On Oct 14, 2023
PoliteActivist:

I’m also into tech. I will dm you.
Easy answer for me: fvck Canada

8 Likes

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Babangidapikin: 3:10pm On Oct 14, 2023
PoliteActivist:

Honestly, that's my heart's true desire - to somehow do both. That'll be heaven! But I know it's not possible
People in Canada have been complaining of high tax , high mortgage and all that but they are side jobs .. my advice is to tell your friend to apply and get you one of those jobs, so you can have some savings ..I know it's funny but trust me once your friend brings is madam home, you would be force to get your own accomodation.. so you really need money..in the time being before you make your decision, they are many tech jobs in Canada ..just use Indeed.com , LinkedIn and other portals and apply ...

35 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Wujio: 3:14pm On Oct 14, 2023
Smh. Village people and liking to cause confusion. They waited for him to finish his Canada moves by first wasting his financial reserve and then leaving him in a state of dilemma. Smh

88 Likes 8 Shares

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by alphabbey1(m): 3:20pm On Oct 14, 2023
PoliteActivist:
Stay in Nigeria.
Nigeria is far better than Canada. No police harassment, no security issues, beautiful environment, Sane-educated and modern society, steady light, stronger currency value, good job security, free and advanced healthcare, better future for your unborn children, free quality eduction for your unborn children.

Coupled with other advantages, if I were you, I'll prefer Nigeria with 500k salary than Canada..... coz am very sure that same tech company will not lay me off years to come and my salary will keep on increasing yearly with inflation....

au revoir passez une bonne journée

100 Likes 8 Shares

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by AchrafHakimi: 3:23pm On Oct 14, 2023
PoliteActivist:

That's exactly what I wish I could do but I know it's not possible.

How is it not possible?

-Postpone the relocation.
-Work the job for 2 months & show super skills.
-Tender your resignation or let HR know you'll be relocating verbally.
-Since its a tech role they will be the ones to suggest you remain with them in some capacity if you are good.

83 Likes 9 Shares

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 4:00pm On Oct 14, 2023
FreeIgboho:

I’m also into tech. I will dm you.
Easy answer for me: fvck Canada

I don't do dm's, no time. But go ahead.
I want to say eff Canada too but the ideas and dreams in my head!
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 4:05pm On Oct 14, 2023
wittywriter:
#500k job for now...how many months visa & when will it expire? so i can complete my suggestion.

Wittyness.

Oh, it is multiple entry. I can be in Canada for six months at a time, valid for 10 years

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Dyfynezz12(m): 4:09pm On Oct 14, 2023
alphabbey1:

Stay in Nigeria.
Nigeria is far better than Canada. No police harassment, no security issues, beautiful environment, Sane-educated and modern society, steady light, stronger currency value, good job security, free and advanced healthcare, better future for your unborn children, free quality eduction for your unborn children.

Coupled with other advantages, if I were you, I'll prefer Nigeria with 500k salary than Canada..... coz am very sure that same tech company will not lay me off years to come and my salary will keep on increasing yearly with inflation....

Lol😂 u 're confusing me

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 4:09pm On Oct 14, 2023
Babangidapikin:

People in Canada have been complaining of high tax , high mortgage and all that but they are side jobs .. my advice is to tell your friend to apply and get you one of those jobs, so you can have some savings ..I know it's funny but trust me once your friend brings is madam home, you would be force to get your own accomodation.. so you really need money..in the time being before you make your decision, they are many tech jobs in Canada ..just use Indeed.com , LinkedIn and other portals and apply ...

Oh, I don't plan to stay with them long at all (it's a family), and I don't have permit to work in Canada. It'll be a hustle life at first for sure. That's part of the dilemma

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Dyfynezz12(m): 4:11pm On Oct 14, 2023
If u have somewhere to stay before u start work nd a person to show u around,travel 500k is almost $500
I have a friend that left for th US April this year,guy was into tech 2 nd now he is already making good moves

9 Likes

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 4:16pm On Oct 14, 2023
alphabbey1:

Stay in Nigeria.

I know you're being sarcastic but I see topics like these below on Nairaland

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 4:21pm On Oct 14, 2023
AchrafHakimi:

How is it not possible?

-Postpone the relocation.
-Work the job for 2 months & show super skills.
-Tender your resignation or let HR know you'll be relocating verbally.
-Since its a tech role they will be the ones to suggest you remain with them in some capacity if you are good.

Believe me, it's not possible, or that's exactly what I'd do, no matter how difficult. It's not that kind of job and I don't have those options

1 Like

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 4:23pm On Oct 14, 2023
razaeo:

Go with the job, 500k is a good amount these days smiley

Honestly, when I consider everything, that's what I'm leaning towards. My visa is multiple entry, good for 10 years

2 Likes

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Luther0luther: 4:29pm On Oct 14, 2023
My brother ,no long stories. Stay back! Eventually, you'll realize you made the right choice. Wetin you dey find for sokoto don show o

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by AchrafHakimi: 4:32pm On Oct 14, 2023
PoliteActivist:

Believe me, it's not possible, or that's exactly what I'd do, no matter how difficult. It's not that kind of job and I don't have those options

Ok na.
If the job is like that then it can't be one with sure retainership or improvement so relocation is better here.
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 4:42pm On Oct 14, 2023
AchrafHakimi:

Ok na.
If the job is like that then it can't be one with sure retainership or improvement so relocation is better here.

But I'd always have relocation option - my visa is multiple entry for 10 years. But the dream job in this economy is a miracle

1 Like

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 4:45pm On Oct 14, 2023
Dyfynezz12:
If u have somewhere to stay before u start work nd a person to show u around,travel 500k is almost $500
I have a friend that left for th US April this year,guy was into tech 2 nd now he is already making good moves

I don't have work permit. It'll be a hustle at first, I don't kid myself. Honestly, I'm leaning towards a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

1 Like

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by otunbadan(m): 4:46pm On Oct 14, 2023
PoliteActivist:

Better don't be in any delima and move to Canada, that your 500k na cleaner salary for Canada, no pone intended!!!

In Canada, if you have that Tech skill that got you that tech job, I assume you its worth thousands of dollar's a year, you will get to open your out look and opportunities professionally...

Bro/Sis .... just be going to Canada, no reason anything !!!

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 4:53pm On Oct 14, 2023
otunbadan:

Better don't be in any delima and move to Canada, that your 500k na cleaner salary for Canada, no pone intended!!!

In Canada, if you have that Tech skill that got you that tech job, I assume you its worth thousands of dollar's a year, you will get to open your out look and opportunities professionally...

Bro/Sis .... just be going to Canada, no reason anything !!!

I hear you my brother. Thing is, I don't have work permit, and from what I understand from my folks there advising me to stay in Naija it'll be a real hustle.
I also hear of people relocating back. It's a REAL dilemma! Driving me nuts!!!

5 Likes

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by jedisco(m): 5:13pm On Oct 14, 2023
PoliteActivist:

First, when asking for advise- know the right demography to ask or keep the demography in mind when reviewing answers.

If you ask an average person earning 30- 150k, they'd say stay back cos your average pay is like heaven to them. If you ask folks earning 500k - 1m, they'd see things differently cos 500k is not mind-blowing money for the right skill.

You need to consider a number of things- mainly age, qualifications, flexibility and transferable skills. Also if your current job would permit remote working.

If you were young with tech skills and a Canadian PR, I'd easily say move- 500k is peanuts to what you could potentially earn in Canada. The people shouting tax e.t.c are mainly folks who've not worked/lived elsewhere.

In your case, your canada visa is a visit visa which would not allow you work legally. If this job has good prospects and exposure, then it could be a good stepping stone to bigger things locally or give you the right base to apply for remote tech jobs in Canada, a Canadian masters or PR. You always have the option of visiting Canada later.

Details given are rather sketchy with many important variables unclear.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Babangidapikin: 5:35pm On Oct 14, 2023
PoliteActivist:

But I'd always have relocation option - my visa is multiple entry for 10 years. But the dream job in this economy is a miracle
Since your Visa is valid for ten years, stay on your job, reschedule your ticket and take a one month or two weeks leave around December, go and do small hustle...see if it's convenient, come back then make your decision.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by alphabbey1(m): 6:30pm On Oct 14, 2023
PoliteActivist:

I know you're being sarcastic but I see topics like these below on Nairaland
Sure, let's paint Canada with the most negative brush based on the experience of someone on Student Visa...

You are referencing someone that's on student visa, Yet to have the Canadian education certificate to take on skilled work and supposed to be working 20 hours per week... With what that person wrote, he's doing more than 40 hours per week and probably receiving below minimum wage coz he's doing under the table Job so it doesn’t reflect on his work history?

With that same work he's doing without any education or work experience requirement, he will still be able to pay his house rent, school fees, and food.... Yet, the ungrateful soul is complaining... why didn't he come back to Nigeria and be working in sumal or Yale. Let's see which one is stressful with better pay...

Immigration for student anywhere in the world clearly says, pay your full tuition fee or have means to make your payment from your home country business or sponsor and also have one year living expenses.. But everyone will lie there way with fake POF and start ranting when reality of there criminal act dawn on them...
In UK, they will complain, in Australia, they will complain, in Canada, they will complain, in US, they will complain, like goverment is supposed to leave citizen and PR holders and provide for student ?

As a student, you are meant to come with enough funds, many will go empty handed and start hustling for everything down to toothbrush. The worst ones are those on visiting visa. As in, why the fvck will you come to a new country with the mindset of working when immigration policy clearly says no...
Travel Agents will lie to them, They will come, become homeless, and start blaming the Canadian goverment...

In summary, kindly focus on the complain of a citizen or pr holder of a country and kindly ignore that of any student....

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Dyfynezz12(m): 6:39pm On Oct 14, 2023
PoliteActivist:

I don't have work permit. It'll be a hustle at first, I don't kid myself. Honestly, I'm leaning towards a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
Mayb u 're entering with a visiting visa

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Panic As Vehicle Bursts Into Flames Near Justice Ministry In Abuja (Picture) / Picture Of Pen Cinema Bridge Nearing Completion / Nigerian Ladies Stranded In Lebanon, Call On Government For Help To Return Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.