Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,140 members, 7,821,893 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:02 PM

Have You Got Any Reason Why You Think Incest Is Wrong? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Have You Got Any Reason Why You Think Incest Is Wrong? (2567 Views)

Court Dissolves 18-year-old Marriage Over Incest / Incest Is 'taboo' But Shouldn't Be Illegal, German Experts Say / Why Incest Is On The Rise In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Got Any Reason Why You Think Incest Is Wrong? by 49cents(m): 5:27pm On Jun 28, 2010
what exactly is wrong with incest? crazy question in it? funny enough it was borne out of a Yoruba TV show(mini jojo) i saw this morning, where a story of a woman whose long lost son from a secondary school pregnancy had a child with her daughter, conceived in a later marriage; they met in the US and already had a child together before it was discovered and even when the couple where told they were siblings they said they would never part ways,

In the same show another true life story is told of twins from Shagamu a town in Ogun state Nigeriia, who were having intimacy and eventually had a child, they refused to part ways, they later would elope to Kaduna and have five more kids,

I am not involved incest nor a considering it; i am only encouraged to post this because of the reaction i read on a NL thread about a man who was having intimacy with her daughter; there was a lot of people with weighty stones ready to cast on the man, but none of them spelt out exactly why it was wrong,

Can you articulate why exactly incest maybe a aberration, if possible without reference to religious belief? i trust your judgment since most you are likely not in an incestuous relationship; unlike when the issue is pre-marital sex.

Replies,
Re: Have You Got Any Reason Why You Think Incest Is Wrong? by Travelista(f): 5:34pm On Jun 28, 2010
You really have to ask why it's strange for a FATHER to bed his DAUGHTER? You're asking this? Please, get a damn hobby.
Re: Have You Got Any Reason Why You Think Incest Is Wrong? by Loveaflame(m): 5:55pm On Jun 28, 2010
That's even something that should not be heard of in our traditional society.It is absurd and totally evil to even think there is a merit in it.
It is totally evil because it goes contrary to nature and God's design
Re: Have You Got Any Reason Why You Think Incest Is Wrong? by 49cents(m): 5:59pm On Jun 28, 2010
That exactly my point, cant you articulate why we find this things strange; i am sure you heard the global buzz about the Australian Couple (father and daughter) who fell in love and pleaded with the condemning world to understand,

Our reluctance to pinpoint the real whys is really why lesbianism and homosexuality is seen today as an issue of culture, social and religious stance not rational,
Re: Have You Got Any Reason Why You Think Incest Is Wrong? by violent(m): 6:10pm On Jun 28, 2010
It's just sick!

From a genetic understanding, you'd be birthing kids with high genetic/hormonal disorders, not to mention  intense emotional and spiritual complications - big social problems down the road.

besides that, how do you introduce your sister as your wife at a family reunion undecided

This is the reason why the world will forever remain in a sick state, I'd bet my supper, in the nearest future, someone wouldn't see any big deal in bestiality---and some sick folks will be demanding to know why its bad to stick a d in a fowl!
Re: Have You Got Any Reason Why You Think Incest Is Wrong? by n3rve(m): 6:11pm On Jun 28, 2010
I for one, don't have an issue with "incest". The Bible censures "incest", but tells us we all came from 'Adam and Eve'.
Note: I just want to hear what people think, I don't believe in the bible.
Re: Have You Got Any Reason Why You Think Incest Is Wrong? by madlady(f): 6:16pm On Jun 28, 2010
@Poster,one factual reason is, the offsprings of such a close blood relationship could be born deformed in some way.
Re: Have You Got Any Reason Why You Think Incest Is Wrong? by topup: 4:47am On Jun 29, 2010
Yes, as someone mentioned before, it is best to increase the variety in the characteristics present in a child's genetics, if a family of short giraffes mated with one another, none of them would be tall enough to reach the taller leaves, they would out compete and die, as they are all competiting against the same thing - silly analogy. With humans, genetics make us either resistant or susceptible.

If we mate with those who we share a very similar genetic makeup with we will never acquire other immunities from others (ofcourse we acquire susceptibilities too), but variety is ALWAYS good.

It's the reason why not all of us suffer from sickle-cell anaemia, it is the reason why some African's are supposedly more immune to the HIV, it is the reason why some of us have hazel eyes instead of all brown, long hair instead of short, dark skin instead of light etc.

For example if there is a family wiht a history of having very high blood pressure, mating within the family means that there is a high chance that they may all get it, and could all possibly be wiped out from heart attacks. In terms of prolonguing the human life/generation, this isn't good.
But this argument is only relevant when considering the quality of life of offspring.

Socially, incest is taboo. The reasons which have passed over the generations and seeped into our subconscious are valied (offspring and such), but the other pschological aspect of it is strange. For example direct family incest i.e. Father daughter, brother sister, mother son relationships seem weird because of the polygamic aspect of the parent child relationships, whilst the brother sister aspect seems weird too in terms of a family that seems to implode. The natural and typical conversations of "the child has your nose" etc is missing, as both brother and sister will share their parent's noses. The idea that the children go forth and bring back a loving wife is not there, the marriage the father will give his daughter to his son,  it just works in EVERY opposite direction to that to which we are accustomed to living in.

It is also the strange idea that sexual desires are developed about an individual even before they are aware of what those are. A mother who breastfeeds her son and fights for his survival, turn seductress is a strange and uncomfortable concept, a father turn the lover of his younger and naive daughter is also a strange and paedophilic concept.

All in all, there are many reasons, laced with paedophilia, genetic disarray, social norms and in-built psychological guideliness that are acted against in order to commit such.

My opinion.

[n3rve]:

I for one, don't have an issue with "incest". The Bible censures "incest", but tells us we all came from 'Adam and Eve'.
Note: I just want to hear what people think, I don't believe in the bible.

What's your suggestion then? How'd all of mankind appear??

Just a century ago the world population was estimated to be 7 TIMES smaller. And before then even smaller, we all came from Adam and Eve, which was the ONLY way of humans prolonguing life long enough to seek to get right with God. Ancient Egyptian history shows that many pharoahs married their sisters, as the pair both had to be of royal lineage etc. I am sure even in pre-Nigeria, and where tribe numbers were very very low, cousins marrying was the norm, now we have the option not to limit ourselves, to expand and go outwards, why would we want to relive what was practiced thousands of years ago?

1 Like

Re: Have You Got Any Reason Why You Think Incest Is Wrong? by Sissy3(f): 11:44am On Jun 29, 2010
sorry but you cant leave religion out of it. its basically the number one reason why almost people consider incest a sin

its legally wrong for a family to lawfully/legally marry each other in most lawful society. its a punishable crime in most society

its biologically incompatible/wrong
Re: Have You Got Any Reason Why You Think Incest Is Wrong? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jun 29, 2010
Well, now that I think about it, I dont see why now!

Even in the bible, people married from their families! undecided

~Sissy~:

sorry but you cant leave religion out of it. its basically the number one reason why almost people consider incest a sin

its legally wrong for a family to lawfully/legally marry each other in most lawful society. its a punishable crime in most society

its biologically incompatible/wrong

I know it's legally wrong, I just dont know why it should be!

As for biology, what if they decide not to have kids undecided
Re: Have You Got Any Reason Why You Think Incest Is Wrong? by Spyker: 3:41pm On Jun 29, 2010
May be you don't know what blood lines are Poster. Google it and you will get the reasons you seek. I am ashamed of your question. Please research well before you ask us, no body is ignorant now a days. Don't make us insults and abuse you.
Re: Have You Got Any Reason Why You Think Incest Is Wrong? by omega25red(m): 7:13pm On Jun 29, 2010
i can beleive i get to write this twice on two different sections

God created Adam and Eve and they had children who had children and so on

Who were ADam and Eve's children F@#king for them to spread around the world tell me that is not incest and where exactly did this idea of genetic mutation and wrongness of incest come from

(not a supporter of incest just thought i'll stir the pot a little grin)
Re: Have You Got Any Reason Why You Think Incest Is Wrong? by Outstrip(f): 12:28am On Jun 30, 2010
49cents:

what exactly is wrong with incest? crazy question in it? funny enough it was borne out of a Yoruba TV show(mini jojo) i saw this morning, where a story of a woman whose long lost son from a secondary school pregnancy had a child with her daughter, conceived in a later marriage; they met in the US and already had a child together before it was discovered and even when the couple where told they were siblings they said they would never part ways,

In the same show another true life story is told of twins from Shagamu a town in Ogun state Nigeriia, who were having intimacy and eventually had a child, they refused to part ways, they later would elope to Kaduna and have five more kids,

I am not involved incest nor a considering it; i am only encouraged to post this because of the reaction i read on a NL thread about a man who was having intimacy with her daughter; there was a lot of people with weighty stones ready to cast on the man, but none of them spelt out exactly why it was wrong,

Can you articulate why exactly incest maybe a aberration, if possible without reference to religious belief? i trust your judgment since most you are likely not in an incestuous relationship; unlike when the issue is pre-marital sex.

Replies,

First of all that man was raping that child. She was a child. It was not consensual. I think people's heads need to be rewired. When you have sex with a minor it is R A P E.
Re: Have You Got Any Reason Why You Think Incest Is Wrong? by Sissy3(f): 7:24am On Jun 30, 2010
Ujujoan:

Even in the bible, people married from their families!  undecided

that was BEFORE there was a law against it. these laws are in the bible like Leviticus chapter. i think it was one of the laws given to moses, so before that its wasnt really much of it a big deal but after the law was given to him, it was forbidden henceforth.

if you desire, i could give you the passages in the Lev. were incest were vividly forbidden

I know it's legally wrong, I just dont know why it should be!

for the obvious reasons, genetics and morality sake

As for biology, what if they decide not to have kids    undecided 

thats hardly the case in many incestuous relationships esp in father-daughter cases

and then one has to wonder what kind of sick attraction/love a father would have for his daughter(he help mold with his spermatozoa,bath,change her etc) to copulate with her while there are +billion women out there he could possibly mess around with. dont just understand that kind of nauseating thinking/thought
Re: Have You Got Any Reason Why You Think Incest Is Wrong? by Nobody: 10:25am On Jul 01, 2010
~Sissy~:

that was BEFORE there was a law against it. these laws are in the bible like Leviticus chapter. i think it was one of the laws given to moses, so before that its wasnt really much of it a big deal but after the law was given to him, it was forbidden henceforth.

if you desire, i could give you the passages in the Lev. were incest were vividly forbidden

for the obvious reasons, genetics and morality sake

thats hardly the case in many incestuous relationships esp in father-daughter cases

and then one has to wonder what kind of sick attraction/love a father would have for his daughter(he help mold with his spermatozoa,bath,change her etc) to copulate with her while there are +billion women out there he could possibly mess around with. dont just understand that kind of nauseating thinking/thought

Father and daughter is not the only incestious r/ships. What about brother and sister, counsins/cousins. Sexual abuse couls also be carried out by non-family members so technically, incest is not the cause of the abuse!

So lets assume that relatives actually decides not to have children, will it make it right for them to be together? undecided
Re: Have You Got Any Reason Why You Think Incest Is Wrong? by Sissy3(f): 4:30am On Jul 02, 2010
Ujujoan:

Father and daughter is not the only incestious r/ships. What about brother and sister, counsins/cousins.

yes, there are other forms of incest but father-daughter are most commonly reported form of incest and in many cases its not consensual. its abuse, rape and incest.

Sexual abuse couls also be carried out by non-family members so technically, incest is not the cause of the abuse!

yes non-family member can also abuse, but we are talking about abuse here in the context of incestuous relationship between families

So lets assume that relatives actually decides not to have children, will it make it right for them to be together?

NO. non-resultant of a child/children in the relationship still doesn't in anyway justify it. what is wrong is wrong regardless
Re: Have You Got Any Reason Why You Think Incest Is Wrong? by ceasyc(f): 4:37am On Jul 02, 2010
Re: Have You Got Any Reason Why You Think Incest Is Wrong? by 49cents(m): 11:59pm On Jul 05, 2010
Once upon a time celibacy before marriage was the norm, right now its regarded as crazy, as pre-marital sex holds sway; 'progressive' will easily punch holes in your socio-cultural and religious points of view as they have done with same-sex relationships.

I believe for rational integrity to reign over time, there has to be developed in us a reasonableness in our moral positions else we shall be able to live and defend that which is true.

We can no longer afford to merely posit things as right or wrong simply by what we feel or what our social/cultural/religious cos in that way we loose the common ground to dialogue with those who may nor share our backgrounds.
Re: Have You Got Any Reason Why You Think Incest Is Wrong? by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jul 21, 2010
It baffles me how people get to develop sexual emotions towards their immediate family members. Cousin/Cousin relationships is pardonable. I think it is a demonic act to practise incest. It is crazy, unthinkable, unreasonable, asinine, lewd(that word was specifically coined for situations as offensive as this).It is from the pit of hell. What is wrong is wrong. It can never be redefined. It is like asking why it is wrong to poo in a public place in broad day light.I wanna ask a question @ poster. Is it right or wrong to fuc*k in a public place? Someone also made a post. Is it wrong also, to stick your dic*k in a fowl's backside ?A man in his right thinking, sane mind would never practise incest. It is just logical.It is called logical reasoning. And this is the reason we are higher animals. That is why we are able to discern right from wrong.Simply put, it is animalistic.
Re: Have You Got Any Reason Why You Think Incest Is Wrong? by oyinda3(f): 7:58pm On Jul 21, 2010

how old is d daughter? if she's 25 and over then they're both guilty of incest.
but if she's a young girl then that father needs to be hanged. raping your own child that's sick with a capital S. d fact that u don't see anything wrong with it makes me want to puke.

anyways, to answer ur question, i think it's nature's way of preserving a healthy human race.
ppl are repulsed by incest for a good reason.
Re: Have You Got Any Reason Why You Think Incest Is Wrong? by Sissy3(f): 8:44pm On Jul 21, 2010
49cents:

We can no longer afford to merely posit things as right or wrong simply by what we feel or what our social/cultural/religious cos in that way we loose the common ground to dialogue with those who may nor share our backgrounds.

incest can never be justified and thank goddness the argument against it is not solely based on religion but science too.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Billionaire In Uk To Settle Divorce In British Court Using Nigerian Tri / 8 Shocking Obese Kids / In A Sinful Relationship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.